Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

It could only be clowney. I cant see moving to #1 to take anyone else.

CBF

Agreed. It's really the only player going all the way to 1 for that makes sense.

Don't know if we need to do it, but it sure would be fun. Also, could free up Whaley to try and recoup a lost pick by trading Hughes if he become a schematic non-fit.

Edited by stony

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting - before i opened the thread my assumption was that buf would target oakland and the 5 spot which at first glance seemed like a better position for our immediate needs.

to everyone saying that this is a bad year to trade up because of the drafts depth: dont believe that to be true. gm's understand the draft's depth as well as you do (contrary to what you might think, they're better at this than us) reducing the demand for trades up and consequently, the price of such a trade, giving it a fair value.

'the invisible hand' fairly values things in the NFL just as well as it does in any market.

interesting - before i opened the thread my assumption was that buf would target oakland and the 5 spot which at first glance seemed like a better position for our immediate needs.

to everyone saying that this is a bad year to trade up because of the drafts depth: dont believe that to be true. gm's understand the draft's depth as well as you do (contrary to what you might think, they're better at this than us) reducing the demand for trades up and consequently, the price of such a trade, giving it a fair value.

they damn well better be, eh? B-)

I don't see it as anything but a smokescreen. I think the position Buffalo are in allows them to play these games... they are sitting there in a pretty genuine BPA mode at #9 with a few directions they could go. Of the consensus top 10 players (3 QBs, 3 OTs, Clowney, Mack and the 2 WRs) I'd say 7 (ie all but the QBs) could be fits for the Bills and because EJ hasn't totally locked out the starting QB job the Bills could even play that as a smokescreen card if they wanted to. So in trying to work our where the Bills go the teams around them are probably having something of a tough job.

If it is genuine interest in trading up I can only see Clowney and Watkins as possibles. I think Watkins in particular would be a strange one to trade up for given what is considered a deep draft for WRs. I still think Atlanta are the most obvious movers up for Clowney myself.

The article states that the Texans have been pushing hard to trade outta that #1 spot to obtain extra picks.

You can find a link here: http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/teams/buffalo_bills/32

The ONLY player you give away next years first and second round pick for is a QB. Not a DE, not a LBer, not a WR, and never for an O lineman (according to most of fans in this site that agree with the teams thinking, that you can find good O linemen in dumpsters). Anything but a QB is nucken futs, IMO

I'm thinking Johnny Football to Buffalo. :w00t:

In all reality I think the Bills will trade back this year. :D

Not that this would ever happen...But it's fun to see speculation on the target nonetheless...

I would think if they moved to #1 the target would be Robinson...The way Marrone wants to run the ball, and the fact that he's an ex O-lineman, and ex O-line coach, makes me think he would be absolutely salivating at the opportunity to land Robinson...Robinson is a mauler, incredible athlete for his size, and has Orlando Pace-like potential...That would be my guess anyway... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I like the rumors, any rumors involving the Bills are fun during the long off season. I really think they would take Mack. Clowney's alleged motivational issues would not fly with Marrone, unless he knows for sure that Clowney actually doesn't have motivational issues. I could also see Watkins if they see him as a dynamic game breaker. But that seems too high for a WR. And DE is pretty deep in this draft. Regardless, can't wait for draft day!

Not that this would ever happen...But it's fun to see speculation on the target nonetheless...

I would think if they moved to #1 the target would be Robinson...The way Marrone wants to run the ball, and the fact that he's an ex O-lineman, and ex O-line coach, makes me think he would be absolutely salivating at the opportunity to land Robinson...Robinson is a mauler, incredible athlete for his size, and has Orlando Pace-like potential...That would be my guess anyway... B-)

Robinson I guess makes the most sense. But unless there is a torrid run on OT's in the first round, they should be able to grab a good one in the second (Morgan Moses, etc.)

All the smart people on this board and no one realizes this is just an elaborate play to get Fitz back? I'm shocked.

In all seriousness though, I could see the Bills in talks with the Texans but not for their top pick, but for the pick they may wind up with. Atlanta has been rumored to be after Clowney for a while and they've shown the willingness to make bold trades on draft day. If Hou winds up in the 6th spot and the QBs keep falling, they may be interested in trading back a few spots to 9 and the Bills may realize they HAVE to trade up a few if they want Evans, as right now it looks like there's less and less chance that either Evans or Watkins are available after 7.

--So, Mr. Whaley, would you consider moving up in this draft.

--We wouldn't rule anything out.

--Even all the way to the first spot.

--(Says) Sure, again, we wouldn't rule anything out. (Means) If they're giving it away, we wouldn't turn it down.

HEADLINE:

Bills willing to put it all on the line for this year's top pick

GM says they want the first pick, and they want it bad

The article states that the Texans have been pushing hard to trade outta that #1 spot to obtain extra picks.

You can find a link here: http://www.yardbarke...uffalo_bills/32

The ONLY player you give away next years first and second round pick for is a QB. Not a DE, not a LBer, not a WR, and never for an O lineman (according to most of fans in this site that agree with the teams thinking, that you can find good O linemen in dumpsters). Anything but a QB is nucken futs, IMO

I'm thinking Johnny Football to Buffalo. :w00t:

In all reality I think the Bills will trade back this year. :D

Depends entirely on the player. If you think he's a game-changer and worth it, then you pay the price. Remember what Polian gave up for Bennett? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't at this point. Indeed, I doubt they will, but if you have that kind of conviction on a player, then it makes sense to pull the trigger, QB or not.

GO BILLS!!!

All the smart people on this board and no one realizes this is just an elaborate play to get Fitz back? I'm shocked.

In all seriousness though, I could see the Bills in talks with the Texans but not for their top pick, but for the pick they may wind up with. Atlanta has been rumored to be after Clowney for a while and they've shown the willingness to make bold trades on draft day. If Hou winds up in the 6th spot and the QBs keep falling, they may be interested in trading back a few spots to 9 and the Bills may realize they HAVE to trade up a few if they want Evans, as right now it looks like there's less and less chance that either Evans or Watkins are available after 7.

This is a very good point. The conversation could have been about this. What would that cost, swapping firsts and giving them a 4th rounder?