Revis a Patriot / Bucs cut Revis

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another monument to NFL GM flawed groupthink--in this case paying insane amounts of money for FA cornerbacks. Clements (22 million guaranteed in 2007), Asomugha (25 million guaranteed), Revis (16 million per year, a first round pick/4th round pick)-----all horrible deals.

He is better no doubt, but the Bills have pretty good CB's already. I don't believe that Revis would improve the starting defense as much as another above-average linebacker would.. The starting CB's aren't a weakness of this team. It isn't about Revis vs. Byrd, it's about where can the team be improved that would have the most impact. Byrd leaving creates a hole, Revis coming in creates a crowd of talent at CB, but leaves a hole at safety.

Im not dissatisfied with the CB's on the bills, however, i think the following 2 statements are accurate:

1. Prior to last yr McKelvin was bad. Has he cometely turned the corner?

2. Gilmore has so far not performed up to what many expected.

Another monument to NFL GM flawed groupthink--in this case paying insane amounts of money for FA cornerbacks. Clements (22 million guaranteed in 2007), Asomugha (25 million guaranteed), Revis (16 million per year, a first round pick/4th round pick)-----all horrible deals.

I know they play different positions, but I can't help thinking the Revis situation helps explain why teams were not willing to give the Bills a high draft pick for Byrd.

Prime reason why a football player should get every penny they can get and have 0 loyalty to the team. Because the team has no loyalty to them. And the media needs to stop reporting contracts as 4 years for $52 million. It's the signing bonus and the first year's salary. So misleading.

New GM and coach. Lovie thinks the Tampa 2 does not require an elite big money corner.

If he is on the roster at 4:01 pm Tuesday then they don't owe the Jets a 4th round pick, they owe them a 3rd round pick. So if they keep him, they lose a 3rd instead of a 4th in a very good draft. They lose at least a 4th either way, but they lose a 3rd instead if they keep him and owe him 1.5 million dollar bonus plus his huge contract.. Add in that the new regime doesn't feel they need to pay a DB that kind of money and there you have the reason.

Good points. TB structured the contract so that it was $16 million per year but with no guaranteed money. Each year $1.5 million of that is a roster bonus, $1.5 million is a work out bonus and $13 million is salary. It made Revis an extremely well-paid corner - about 50% more than the next best paid corner. But no guarantees. As long as he played like one of the top cornerbacks in the league he earned it. And he had to do that every year. Now that his play has fallen off a little they can let him go with no dead money.

He would be impossible to trade for without a reworked deal. If that is not in the works already then it's not going to happen. He is still an excellent corner so I'm sure he'll get paid well by some team.

Im not dissatisfied with the CB's on the bills, however, i think the following 2 statements are accurate:

1. Prior to last yr McKelvin was bad. Has he cometely turned the corner?

2. Gilmore has so far not performed up to what many expected.

1) McKelvin always had the skills. He would be in perfect position and couldn't find the ball. Freaks like AJ Green and Bryant would make insane catches on him. He was great the 2nd half of 2012 and continued that through 2013. It's all about confidence with him and he has it.

2) Gilmore was injured and struggled. It happens. If this continues this year, that's a problem. But the guy plays hard and competes. I think he will be a pro bowl type player. We'll see though.

"Good Grief" huh?

I'm the guy that thinks them putting Justin Rogers on the field cost them the playoffs.

They have a nice set of starters, they need a 4th CB, but they can find a decent enough guy (meaning "better than Justin Rogers") without bringing in Revis (I would rather they break the bank for Byrd than pay Revis).

The team has serious needs at linebacker, OL, and WR. Those are the positions that need attention

I don't disagree the Bills would be better served to fill out the roaster in other ways...Look...Revis is not coming to Buffalo and this is a completely hypothetical discussion among Bills fans...

The "good grief" was for attaching Revis' name to the 4th CB...If in this completely hypothetical situation the Bills considered Revis the last thing they would be thinking about would be the CB depth at the 4th position...They would be bringing in one of the best cover corners in recent history...That's all I'm saying...It would have nothing to do with depth and everything to do with a #1 shutdown CB...

Revis is learning today that the $16 million figure may be a his one way ticket out of the NFL...It's certainly too much, and almost any team that pays him that will likely be renting him for a year...So we'll see how that goes...As far as Byrd vs. Revis...I'd rather not overpay for either to be honest...But if the money is close to the same I take Revis all day...But if it's Byrd for $8-9 million or Revis for $16 mil...Then yes, I'll take Byrd... B-)

I don't disagree the Bills would be better served to fill out the roaster in other ways...Look...Revis is not coming to Buffalo and this is a completely hypothetical discussion among Bills fans...

The "good grief" was for attaching Revis' name to the 4th CB...

Where did I call him the "4th CB"? Obviously he would be the main man, I'm referring to a 4th CB because that is what the Bills are in need of NOT another starter.

Did he suck last year? I don't pay that much attention to the rest of the league............But, I was arguing with my friends last year that there was no way he was worth what the Bucs traded and gave him, coming off an ACL

I have been very critical of the Bills for letting Byrd go, but the Bucs decision to trade for Revis was a much worse decision. They traded a 1st and 4th round pick and paid 16 million to watch Revis regain health after recovery from surgery. Has to be hearbreaking for Bucs fans.

That Bucs regime is gone. New GM and Coach.

Word on NFL radio is that the Patriots are going to pursue.

Not sure of the accuracy.

I'm sure they will, along with a lot of other teams. But NE is no longer a prime destination for FA's anymore and top ones want to be paid.

I know he loves to troll. Trying to show him the light though. I personally love the spiller/fjax combo platter.

Our subpar O lineman will be addressed and the RB's should crush it.

We upgrade the line CJ is going to get at least 1,300. Fred can still get 700-800. That's is how we get to the playoffs. Run the ball down peoples grills.

Plus we can finally see what E.J. can do.

I think we go OL first round and stop playing around.

already drawing interest from the Patriots. They replace what they lose. They lose Talib, they get someone just as good or if not better. We lose Byrd. We may get some scrub from the Dolphins. We suck

Or Corey Graham. And I'll bet the Pats don't get Revis.