Revis a Patriot / Bucs cut Revis

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay? I already know part of the Bills gameplay against the Pats. Make Revis cover Stevie as much as possible. Their secondary is still pretty terrible though.... Tons and tons of busts there.

Edited by Fingon

We look at our FA moves & theirs and we wonder why they are among the best in the entire league & still wonder why we get no respect simply amazing !!!

Well this will make it what 11 or 12 year in the play offs for them & we will be 14… or will it be 15 years out of the play offs ? HMMM .

It may have been because he hadn't had the full year of recovery normally needed before we see players return to previous form, but Revis wasn't Revis last year, especially in the back-end speed department. He was sluggish out there.

GO BILLS!!!

Why do Bills fans talk like Stevie owns Revis. Stevie averages like 70 yards a game against him. Better than most against Revis, but is that really owning a guy? Revis is basically so good that a WR who can put together a few average games against him "owns" him. This signing sucks any way you look at it. I hate the fuggin Pats with irrational intensity. This makes it harder to beat them. Something the Bills have done twice in Tom Brady's career.

Easy answer is that NO ONE else averages anything against him. It's quirky to say the least. Revis handles some bigger AND faster guys better, but Stevie gets his catches and yards. If you think 70 yards and scores are easy, that's up to your opinion. If you look at the actual numbers, Stevie is an outlier statistically.

Easy answer is that NO ONE else averages anything against him. It's quirky to say the least. Revis handles some bigger AND faster guys better, but Stevie gets his catches and yards. If you think 70 yards and scores are easy, that's up to your opinion. If you look at the actual numbers, Stevie is an outlier statistically.

You're making my point for me. I wish the Bills had a corner so good that when he gives up 70 yards once or twice a year that it was considered he got owned.

You also need to remember that Stevie did this with a veteran QB that he had developed considerable chemistry with. Now he's got a 2nd year guy with 10 starts under his belt throwing him the ball. Stevie's game is much different than most receivers due to his route running. Look at the KC INT reception last year to see what happens when Stevie's route is so good and unpredictable with an inexperienced QB throwing the ball. Say what you will about Fitz, but if he's the QB in that game he hits a wide open Stevie for the TD and the Bills win.

Point is there's no guarantee Stevie can "own" Revis next year to the tune of 70 yards. Any Bills fan that doesn't think this makes the Pats much harder to beat with or without Stevie is delusional.

The rich get richer. It's nice the Bills are finally adding veteran depth instead of relying on UDFA's, late round picks, street FA's, and waiver wire pickups, but is it enough to get them from mediocre to passable? Not when your opponents can make moves like this.

Agreed. Saints get Byrd. Bronco's 4-5 guys, Pats here, saw where Jared Allen is considering Seahawks...............All the "stars" on their last contracts or so seem to flock to winners for that super bowl run

It may have been because he hadn't had the full year of recovery normally needed before we see players return to previous form, but Revis wasn't Revis last year, especially in the back-end speed department. He was sluggish out there.

GO BILLS!!!

https://twitter.com/...197084913901569

Just in case you somehow thought Darrelle Revis had a down year, his +18.2 @PFF grade in 2013 led all CBs.

Revis is who BB wanted all along. And why not .... the guy tilts 1/2 of the field each game.

Edited by Pneumonic

Why do Bills fans talk like Stevie owns Revis. Stevie averages like 70 yards a game against him. Better than most against Revis, but is that really owning a guy? Revis is basically so good that a WR who can put together a few average games against him "owns" him. This signing sucks any way you look at it. I hate the fuggin Pats with irrational intensity. This makes it harder to beat them. Something the Bills have done twice in Tom Brady's career.

In fairness to Stevie and his 70 yds/gm, he actually gets open far more often than his stats would indicate, but the ball doesn't always get there. If Stevie had a top tier QB throwing the football, you'd see much more than 70 yds/gm against Revis...

We probably could but if you have a choice where to make $12M where would you rather play?

WHOOOOOOOOOSH.

C'mon, three people thought I was serious? I thought I loaded that post with enough stereotypical and misinformed responses that everyone would get it.

Kind of a weird deal for Revis. Seems like he could have cashed in for a ton more money and long-term security.

I don't think he needs a one-year audition to get the $20-$30m guaranteed that other top defenders are getting.

He doesn't -- but if he turns a one year audition into a ring AND proves he is all the way back, it's a huge win for Revis.

That said -- fug' that guy.

Dumb move on his part. He should have gone to the highest bidder on a long term contract this off-season. The Pats aren't winning the SB this season and if he gets injured again...

I agree with you they aren't winning with this move alone. But I see Revis's logic. If he does get a ring and hits the market he'll get stupid money plus stupider money next season from someone willing to overpay and set the market on CBs.

Everybody wants to play for them. Why they don't get Brady some receivers is beyond me.

Not too concerned with this signing. They're likely gonna beat us twice again next year with or without him anyway.

Actually, maybe Revis will line up at WR some?

GO BILLS!!!

This is an excellent point.

They lost Talib 6 hours earlier, who cares?

Even if you want to be a homer and say Talib isn't half the player Revis was and grade Talib at a B+, and say Revis is the best player in the league and grade him at an A+, is it really that dramatic of an improvement for the Patriots?

That team is... the bizarre-o world version of the Buffalo Bills. Having watched about 90% of their snaps last year, I can tell you in no uncertain terms they were not a 12 win team. They should have lost to the Broncos, Saints, and Browns--those 3 wins were absolutely ridiculous and essentially gifted to them.

The fact of the matter is, the Bills are closer to an 8-8 team, and the Pats are closer to a 9-7 team. Eventually, that is going to shake out. It might be this year, next year, or 2016, but eventually, these scales will even out.

Replacing a better than good corner with a used to be great corner, in today's nfl, isnt going to do much for them.

It was worth the gamble for New England because their secondary needed the upgrade. When healthy, Revis is a tremendous CB. I think what really bears watching is what the Patriots do to shore up their d-line. The Patriots want Vince Wilfork to restructure his contract so it counts less against their salary cap, but there has been no news so far from either side about an agreement. It will be interesting to see if they take a hard line with him and cut him.

Great, now Stevie gets to school him two times a year again.

My thoughts exactly.

Even if you want to be a homer and say Talib isn't half the player Revis was and grade Talib at a B+, and say Revis is the best player in the league and grade him at an A+, is it really that dramatic of an improvement for the Patriots?

That team is... the bizarre-o world version of the Buffalo Bills. Having watched about 90% of their snaps last year, I can tell you in no uncertain terms they were not a 12 win team. They should have lost to the Broncos, Saints, and Browns--those 3 wins were absolutely ridiculous and essentially gifted to them.

The fact of the matter is, the Bills are closer to an 8-8 team, and the Pats are closer to a 9-7 team. Eventually, that is going to shake out. It might be this year, next year, or 2016, but eventually, these scales will even out.

Replacing a better than good corner with a used to be great corner, in today's nfl, isnt going to do much for them.

A 9-7 team for the Pats? They have been double digit winning team for basically a decade. I just don't see the pats going less than 10-6 as long as it's a Brady/Belicheck team. Understand I can't stand the Pats and want us to beat them badly every year, but I'm realistic. You mentioned those three narrow wins, but that is what great teams do is win those close games. In the Broncos game, it wasn't Manning in the first half, it was three turnovers. Brady moved down the field throughout the game and Manning was stuffed. Belicheck was so smart in his decisions with using the wind to his advantage.

I do agree we will be at least 8-8 IF EJ PLAYS BETTER. Actually, if EJ plays like a top half of league QB, we could go as high as 10-6. If we had good QB play last year, that defense would have been even better, and we win another three games. I also believe if we passed better, we would have been the #1 running team as they couldn't st.ack the box.

It's all about EJ and the offensive line. A better line would really help. Oh by the way, start sliding EJ.

Beliceik hasn't had the corners to allow him to dial up the exotic pressures that he used too. The better Revis performs shutting guys down one on one, the greater the odds are that he will dial up some pressures as a result on 3rd down. A wise gamble on Belicik's part. He has always been a cover-2 shell kind of guy that used to dial up weird pressures out of it when using the 3-4. Perhaps that is the goal now out of his 4-3 alignment. No one talks about it much but he has been pretty vanilla in his bend but don't break approach while transitioning to the 4-3. Oh well. Obviously I HOPE it backfires.

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 1m

Revis since 2010: 56 games, 223 targets, 100 receptions allowed for 1,334 yards.

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 2m

Talib since 2010 (via @PFF): 56 games, 265 targets, 156 receptions allowed for 2,422 yards.

Basically BB traded Revis for Talib + (the 3rd round comp pick the Pats will get for losing Talib to FA). In Talib the Pats had a pro bowl player. In Revis the Pats have a HOF player.

Edited by Pneumonic

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 1m

Revis since 2010: 56 games, 223 targets, 100 receptions allowed for 1,334 yards.

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill 2m

Talib since 2010 (via @PFF): 56 games, 265 targets, 156 receptions allowed for 2,422 yards.

Basically BB traded Revis for Talib + (the 3rd round comp pick the Pats will get for losing Talib to FA). In Talib the Pats had a pro bowl player. In Revis the Pats have a HOF player.

They will not get the comp pick for Talib given that they have signed Revis. You get comps for net losses based on the specific players gained lost.

They will not get the comp pick for Talib given that they have signed Revis. You get comps for net losses based on the specific players gained lost.

Revis was cut before signing with the Pats and so doesn't factor into the compensation equation.

lol my thoughts exactly. Except he might need to cover Mike Evans too B-)

Yeah, good luck w/ that Pats. Cant' cover SJ and Evans at the same time. I really hope Bills get Evans. Esp. after the offseason moves.

Edited by RyanC883

https://twitter.com/...197084913901569

Just in case you somehow thought Darrelle Revis had a down year, his +18.2 @PFF grade in 2013 led all CBs.

I put absolutely NO stock whatsoever in PFF's analysis. Revis looked like he was still recovering from injury last year. He played heavier and it showed. That's not a knock on Revis at all. It's just not uncommon for players coming off of major knee surgery to need a full year of rehab before returning to form. I think he'll benefit from the extra time. It's interesting that the Pats* were only willing to give him a one year deal. That's indicative of the same concerns.

GO BILLS!!!

[/size]

I put absolutely NO stock whatsoever in PFF's analysis. Revis looked like he was still recovering from injury last year. He played heavier and it showed. That's not a knock on Revis at all. It's just not uncommon for players coming off of major knee surgery to need a full year of rehab before returning to form. I think he'll benefit from the extra time. It's interesting that the Pats* were only willing to give him a one year deal. That's indicative of the same concerns.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't follow the Bucs at all so can't comment as you apparently can but, from all accounts, Revis was believed to have been back to himself by years end. If so, that's a HOF corner manning a defense being implemented by possibly the greatest scheme devising HC ever.

We upgrade the line CJ is going to get at least 1,300. Fred can still get 700-800. That's is how we get to the playoffs. Run the ball down peoples grills.

Plus we can finally see what E.J. can do.

I think we go OL first round and stop playing around.

I like the way you think.

post-15917-0-49125800-1394723540_thumb.jpg