Revis a Patriot / Bucs cut Revis

http://espn.go.com/n...revis-trade-him

Looks like Bucs are either going to trade Revis or out right release him by 4pm tomorrow. If this is true, what do you guys think about either scenario:

1. Bring him after he is released.

2. Trade for him before he is released.

Me personally, I don't like the idea of trading for him and having to give up a draft pick and take on that huge salary. Although, if TB was desperate and we only had to give a low round pick then maybe given our cap space. But still not what I would want to do unless he was willing to restructure (which he likely doesn't lol).

However, I do like the idea of brining him in once he was released (assuming they do actually release him) at a cheaper contract then what he has now. Was he in peak form last year...NO. But he still is an upper echelon corner and looks to rebound considering it was his first year with TB learning a new system and recovering from a serious injury at the same time. I think he will still be a top 5 corner, maybe even top 2 or 3 again this year.

I would love to see us take a look at him and he would get to face the Jets twice a year on an emerging defense, so I would think he might have some interest in us. Thoughts?

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is really weird.

Didn't they know they would be paying him a bazillion bucks when they traded for him? how could they be having cap issues one year in?

New GM and coach. Lovie thinks the Tampa 2 does not require an elite big money corner.

This is really weird.

Didn't they know they would be paying him a bazillion bucks when they traded for him? how could they be having cap issues one year in?

If he is on the roster at 4:01 pm Tuesday then they don't owe the Jets a 4th round pick, they owe them a 3rd round pick. So if they keep him, they lose a 3rd instead of a 4th in a very good draft. They lose at least a 4th either way, but they lose a 3rd instead if they keep him and owe him 1.5 million dollar bonus plus his huge contract.. Add in that the new regime doesn't feel they need to pay a DB that kind of money and there you have the reason.

Half game back that went for 1600 yards in last full season. Added 900 more this past while hobbled for a portion.

Stay far far away from the FO plz.

Don't feed the troll. He's just trolling this Revis thread with Spiller comments because we don't share the same opinion about Spiller. He is always on a Spiller crusade, so don't waste your time lol

Half game back that went for 1600 yards in last full season. Added 900 more this past while hobbled for a portion.

Agreed. The guy played RB in NFL with high ankle sprain (as a former HS RB who suffered a regular ankle sprain, I can say CJ deserves big time respect). The guy has shown toughness and commitment to the team all the while being a great teammate (e.g., his relationship with Fred). Nevertheless, there will always be haters on this board.

Don't feed the troll. He's just trolling this Revis thread with Spiller comments because we don't share the same opinion about Spiller. He is always on a Spiller crusade, so don't waste your time lol

I should listen to your advice.

Edited by Peter

The only question with Revis would be the knee...I'm assuming he's fine...He returned to Pro Bowl and was the Sporting New Comeback Player Of The Year...Maybe he's not quite what he was before...To be honest I'm not 100% sure...

That being said I would take a 100% healthy Revis over a 100% healthy Spiller any day, and twice on Sunday...Good NFL RB's are pretty easy to find...CB's like Revis come along once in a decade...Spiller is only 2 years younger than Revis and he's playing a position that is not conducive to a long career...Plus the Bills have Freddie and they can go out and get another RB...You can't go out and get another Revis...He would instantly turn the Bills Defense into one of the best in the league...Again assuming he stays healthy...

I'm not saying the Bills would even consider this...Because I'm sure they wont...And I would rather have Spiller and Revis...It's completely hypothetical...But still...If Revis' medicals were all good, I'd do Spiller for Revis in a heartbeat... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I know he loves to troll. Trying to show him the light though. I personally love the spiller/fjax combo platter.

Our subpar O lineman will be addressed and the RB's should crush it.

If he is on the roster at 4:01 pm Tuesday Wednesday then they don't owe the Jets a 4th round pick, they owe them a 3rd round pick. So if they keep him, they lose a 3rd instead of a 4th in a very good draft. They lose at least a 4th either way, but they lose a 3rd instead if they keep him and owe him 1.5 million dollar bonus plus his huge contract.. Add in that the new regime doesn't feel they need to pay a DB that kind of money and there you have the reason.

I know he loves to troll. Trying to show him the light though. I personally love the spiller/fjax combo platter.

Our subpar O lineman will be addressed and the RB's should crush it.

Agreed (again).

The only question with Revis would be the knee...I'm assuming he's fine...He returned to Pro Bowl and was the Sporting New Comeback Player Of The Year...Maybe he's not quite what he was before...To be honest I'm not 100% sure...

That being said I would take a 100% healthy Revis over a 100% healthy Spiller any day, and twice on Sunday...Good NFL RB's are pretty easy to find...CB's like Revis come along once in a decade...Spiller is only 2 years younger than Revis and he's playing a position that is not conducive to a long career...Plus the Bills have Freddie and they can go out and get another RB...You can't go out and get another Revis...He would instantly turn the Bills Defense into one of the best in the league...Again assuming he stays healthy...

I'm not saying the Bills would even consider this...Because I'm sure they wont...And I would rather have Spiller and Revis...It's completely hypothetical...But still...If Revis' medicals were all good, I'd do Spiller for Revis in a heartbeat... B-)

So robey rides the pine in this theoretical ? I like revis (but not his crazy contract drama every offseason) but feel CB is the only position that really is secure, therefore no spiller trade jmo. I'd prefer a non no name DE across from Mario personally over a cb.

The Spiller for Revis deal wouldn't be unprecedented. Not unlike champ bailey for Clinton Portis.

So robey rides the pine in this theoretical ? I like revis (but not his crazy contract drama every offseason) but feel CB is the only position that really is secure, therefore no spiller trade jmo. I'd prefer a non no name DE across from Mario personally over a cb.

Well, I think Robey riding the pine would be downright excellent. Remember when we had a starting corner get hurt and we got shredded? Having Robey as an "off the bench" guy would've really helped if #2 and #3 were McKelvin and Gilmore.

If we still had Pettine, I'd take Revis. You just know having one side of the field locked down would really turn things up a notch for our defense. I'll admit, Schwartz being who he is, Revis might not be the best fit schematically for him. But then again, schematically, Spiller wasn't too good of a fit last season.

Bird in the hand, I suppose. I still think Spills is gone when his contracts up. He was a pick for a different offense.

I'm not crazy about the contract drama either...But maybe that calms down a bit after this ordeal...We'll see...And there really is no reason to trade for Revis when he's going to be released...That's why this is a complete hypothetical...But if anyone asked me if I would take Revis for Spiller straight up I would absolutely do that deal...It's nothing against CJ...I like CJ...But a healthy Revis is special...REAL special...

I'm assuming you realize how much better Revis is than Robey right? Revis is elite...It's called Revis island for a reason...With the Bills pass rush, having Revis on one corner would be amazing...

So the Bills CB depth chart would be Revis, Gilmore, McLovin, and probably Robey 4th...Robey would still play a ton...Now...Brooks, and most importantly Rogers would be in big trouble... B-)

They can get a serviceable 4th CB somewhere. They need help elsewhere.

Revis is a pain in the a**.

4th CB?

Good grief...Revis may or may not be a pain in the ass...That seems to be a thing with great CB's anyway...No question they can be prima donna's...But this is Darrelle Revis we're talking about here...He's elite...One of the best CB's of all time...His presence on the Bills Defense would be game-changing...Again assuming he can stay healthy...

http://tracking.si.com/2013/09/19/tom-brady-darelle-revis-best-cornerback-patriots-buccaneers-nfl/

They can get a serviceable 4th CB somewhere. They need help elsewhere.

Revis is a pain in the a**.

What makes you think this team can get a good 4th string CB? Justin Rogers? Burton? Brooks?

Now now, don't jump to conclusions. Spillers really our only trade bait this offseason. He's worth something to somebody, and thus, IMO, the only player on our roster someone would make moves to get.

I also believe Spiller is not an integral part of our team. Good player? Sure. Tough? Yeah, he sold me this year. But our record stays the same if he didn't play a down last year.

I would love to say Tuel, Bradham and a 7th for Revis, but that's just not feasible.

What makes you think this team can get a good 4th string CB? Justin Rogers? Burton? Brooks?

Now now, don't jump to conclusions. Spillers really our only trade bait this offseason. He's worth something to somebody, and thus, IMO, the only player on our roster someone would make moves to get.

I also believe Spiller is not an integral part of our team. Good player? Sure. Tough? Yeah, he sold me this year. But our record stays the same if he didn't play a down last year.

I would love to say Tuel, Bradham and a 7th for Revis, but that's just not feasible.

Wow, what just happened? Lol, I think that was the first time you've responded to me about Spiller with an actual logical approach and personal reasoning.

Touché...I don't agree necessarily about how you think he won't be an integral part of our offense, but still you made fair points.

Personally, I do feel Spiller is going to be a big part of this offense this year again. People under estimate how significant his high ankle sprain was, especially given Spillers gifts are rooted in elusiveness and speed. Add in that Hacket was terrible in how he utilized him initially and I think Spiller has a major bounce back season (assuming he stays healthy).

I agree RBs are easier to replace, however I see no point in trading Spiller to a team who is going to cut Revis anyway. I don't want to give up Spiller and pay Revis 16 mil a year. Would rather keep Spiller and resign Byrd for 9 mil. Our offense needs more help than our defense, and right now Spiller is still our most dynamic offensive weapon.

Besides we would not have to give up Spiller...a 4th round pick, and probably even lower, to help offset the pick TB is gonna lose would do it here now that they are at the zero hour.

But I will say I jumped to conclusions based on previous responses from you and take back the troll comment. Even though I don't agree we should trade Spiller, you at least validated your reasoning and I can respect that.

I'd trade a 5th for him...the CB market is over saturated right now, they release him they get nothing, we trade for him, we pay him under his current contract, next year give him an extension to reduce the cap number.

2. Trade for him before he is released.

TB signed him to an extremely interesting contract. He was given 16 million dollars per year, with the only the first year fully guaranteed. That's it. Cutting him doesn't cost them one penny in cap space, and they save his entire contract. I wish the Bills would sign players in this manner, but I digress.

Because of the above, a trade is 100% out of the question. He would cost 16 mil. per season. Honestly, if the Bucs offered Revis AND a draft pick, it wouldn't be worth it to me to take upon his 16 salary.

Revis is a financial genius. He shook down the Jets more than once for more money. This guy has been one of the biggest earners in the NFL, but luck can run out. There is a glut of UFA corners on the market that good are players. Maybe this is because teams are finally listening to me about the futility of devoting huge resources to defensive backs. :)

Sure, Byrd will get a huge contract. It only takes one team. But the secondary is not, nor ever will be the place for a team to use the bulk of it's resources on.

Nope, I for one will pass on Revis, his attitude, injury history, and 16 million dollar salary.

This is really weird.

See my post above.

I know the man can be a primadona at times, but he is probably the best CB in the league when healthy.

Hypothetical here, so please hear me out: Assuming the Bills lose Byrd to the contract, they have a hole at FS. They had a great deal of success converting a starting CB who wasn't perfect into the role of safety in Aaron Williams, but Williams is probably a better fit for SS considering he has a bit more size and weight. What if we were to put McKelvin, who is currently being held at a very reasonable contract, at FS to replace Byrd while bringing in a shutdown corner in Revis?

I'm wondering what it would be like to have all four of those players out in the backfield at one time, especially if you can play either safety as a hybrid CB if the defense runs a spread formation.

4th CB?

Good grief...Revis may or may not be a pain in the ass...That seems to be a thing with great CB's anyway...No question they can be prima donna's...But this is Darrelle Revis we're talking about here...He's elite...One of the best CB's of all time...His presence on the Bills Defense would be game-changing...Again assuming he can stay healthy...

http://tracking.si.c...buccaneers-nfl/

"Good Grief" huh?

I'm the guy that thinks them putting Justin Rogers on the field cost them the playoffs.

They have a nice set of starters, they need a 4th CB, but they can find a decent enough guy (meaning "better than Justin Rogers") without bringing in Revis (I would rather they break the bank for Byrd than pay Revis).

The team has serious needs at linebacker, OL, and WR. Those are the positions that need attention

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

What makes you think they can't?

Obviously, the guy wasn't on the roster last year, that doesn't mean they can't find a suitable 4th string guy without bringing in Darrelle Revis. There is a huge difference between "we need a suitable guy to fill in now and then" and "we need Darrelle Revis", isn't there?

Can we pay revis what byrd woulda gotten? Id gladly pay revis 9/10m a year and this way he can stick it to the Jets 2x a year for next 3yrs

"Good Grief" huh?

I'm the guy that thinks them putting Justin Rogers on the field cost them the playoffs.

They have a nice set of starters, they need a 4th CB, but they can find a decent enough guy (meaning "better than Justin Rogers") without bringing in Revis (I would rather they break the bank for Byrd than pay Revis).

The team has serious needs at linebacker, OL, and WR. Those are the positions that need attention

CB is one of the more important positions in NFL. Id rather have Revis 10x over Byrd.

Can we pay revis what byrd woulda gotten? Id gladly pay revis 9/10m a year and this way he can stick it to the Jets 2x a year for next 3yrs

CB is one of the more important positions in NFL. Id rather have Revis 10x over Byrd.

He is better no doubt, but the Bills have pretty good CB's already. I don't believe that Revis would improve the starting defense as much as another above-average linebacker would.. The starting CB's aren't a weakness of this team. It isn't about Revis vs. Byrd, it's about where can the team be improved that would have the most impact. Byrd leaving creates a hole, Revis coming in creates a crowd of talent at CB, but leaves a hole at safety.

Spiller for Revis would be dumb, just from a financial perspective. But... taking financials out... Revis, as good as he is, probably won't win us any games. Not saying Spiller will win us a bunch of games either. but the drop off from Revis to our two CBs is smaller than the dropoff between Spiller and... whomever we have as a RB not named FredEx.

What I find more interesting than anything is, is that there seems to be a decent amount of big money players being released this year. Really makes me wonder about Mario going forward.

Spiller for Revis would be dumb, just from a financial perspective. But... taking financials out... Revis, as good as he is, probably won't win us any games. Not saying Spiller will win us a bunch of games either. but the drop off from Revis to our two CBs is smaller than the dropoff between Spiller and... whomever we have as a RB not named FredEx.

What I find more interesting than anything is, is that there seems to be a decent amount of big money players being released this year. Really makes me wonder about Mario going forward.

I really think the key is to have at least "adequate" players at each position. A team could have Richard Sherman, but if the other CB is Justin Rogers, it's pretty much all for naught.

The Bills CB starters are good, but there is a hole at linebacker and, if Byrd leaves, safety,