Chan Gailey is a great offensive mind

One thing I've learned from watching Hackett run this offense is just how much Chan got from his talent on offense. How run schemes opened amazing holes for CJ. He set CJ on receiving patterns that put him in space to run after the catch. The screens were drawn out and ran very well.

Chan got bashed a lot, but I would love to have him as an OC right now. We would have won this game 14.

To me, Chan was very smart but very stubborn, and his stubbornness hurt him as much as it helped him. He really did design some terrific plays. He got a lot out of limited talent. But, like Fitz, he just had a terrible year last year as a coach, and it was time for him to go. We need to give Hackett some time.

I'm curious what Chan would do with EJ Manuel. Reportedly, he liked Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill--- not that they're identical to EJ, but I bet he had some plans drawn up that they couldn't run with Fitz.

One thing I've learned from watching Hackett run this offense is just how much Chan got from his talent on offense. How run schemes opened amazing holes for CJ. He set CJ on receiving patterns that put him in space to run after the catch. The screens were drawn out and ran very well.

Chan got bashed a lot, but I would love to have him as an OC right now. We would have won this game 14.

Not denying Gailey is a good OC. But its way too early to judge Hackett. He has a rookie QB, one rookie WR, down at least 2 players on the OL and trying to figure out how it all is going to come together. We saw progress today with slower tempo. I expect to keep seeing better things.

IMHO, it is not fair to compare a rookie OC with a seasoned veteran.

To me, Chan was very smart but very stubborn, and his stubbornness hurt him as much as it helped him. He really did design some terrific plays. He got a lot out of limited talent. But, like Fitz, he just had a terrible year last year as a coach, and it was time for him to go. We need to give Hackett some time.

And really: this.

He wasn't the right guy as a Head Coach. Unfortunately, for anyone really pining after Chan, being the HC would come with that package. I prefer Marrone so far.

I seem to remember many, many people complaining about Chan and his play calling a lot the last few years.

His scheme was not very good at moving the ball the last year he was here.

It was stagnant and defenses knew how to attack us.

Chan is a nice guy but let's not get ignorant about this.

You guys are expecting way too much from an OC who has to simplify everything for a very green rookie with (now) 4 starts under his belt. We aren't seeing the entire offense yet and I'm not sure we will until next year.

If the Bills tried to run the schemes Gaily ran it would be a clusterf(*& and after the game fans on this board would be screaming that if they'd just play it safe and ride the D they'd be better off. Damned if they do damned if they don't.

I agree completely, Chan got players open simply by play design but his downfall was his QB couldn't throw the ball more than 15 yards...

Saw Fitz's 77 yard TD pass today against the Jets...he heaved it as far as he could and his WR had to stop, come back a few yards and get into a jump ball with the DB who didn't make the play after crashing into the back judge and both of them fell to the ground while Nate Washington got the ball and waltzed into the end zone.

Chan would have had a field day with EJ as his QB...

??? Aside from the Broncos lighting up the Ravens week one, and the Titans putting 38 on the Jets today, the Bills have scored the most points to date this season against the Patriots* and Panthers, and second most for Ravens and Jets... all four of those pretty legitimate defenses... with a rookie QB... and Colin Brown... Today they scored two TDs on a team that hadn't given up a single TD since week 1. Each of these four games, the Bills offensive output has been undone by penalties and being just out of sync. Give them time. Last season with a much more veteran team, there were times Chan called plays like a beaten man. He coached himself out of a job, and no one has picked him up for a reason.

??? Aside from the Broncos lighting up the Ravens week one, and the Titans putting 38 on the Jets today, the Bills have scored the most points to date this season against the Patriots* and Panthers, and second most for Ravens and Jets... all four of those pretty legitimate defenses... with a rookie QB... and Colin Brown... Today they scored two TDs on a team that hadn't given up a single TD since week 1. Each of these four games, the Bills offensive output has been undone by penalties and being just out of sync. Give them time. Last season with a much more veteran team, there were times Chan called plays like a beaten man. He coached himself out of a job, and no one has picked him up for a reason.

Thank you. Well said.

One complaint I have is no screen passes and no passes to our RBs. That was a strength last year. Spiller lining up wide..Freddie in the slot....maybe they're keeping them in for blocking

Considering the wretched preseason we had, may be the coaching staff is still evaluating what will work. In a game time situation, you can only pick a select # of plays and run it. I actually loved how they ran about 8 times on that penultimate drive before they punted. That was effective running.

Yes sir but horrible at hiring a competent coaching staff.

Wannstedt and Edwards was his true downfall in his tenure.

I actually liked Chan but I think you're letting him off easy here. His defenses stunk because he didn't give a rats a$$ about defense. He had 2 of the worst defenses in team history yet the head coach still didn't feel the need to attend the defensive team meetings or give any input. He just let them crash and burn. Can you imagine Lombardi doing that? He might make a decent OC, but he's not head coaching material.

One complaint I have is no screen passes and no passes to our RBs. That was a strength last year. Spiller lining up wide..Freddie in the slot....maybe they're keeping them in for blocking

I agree....

This isnt as much as Gailey.....but Hackett hasnt run any sort of screen plays to the RBs or send one of them wide in a receiver role creating mismatches.

What is all this chan love fest now? All of you are the same people that were blasting him all last year and years before for horrible offensive calls. This is the same Chan that refused to run even when our RBs DOMINATED the first half and instead throw every single play despite it not working and costing us the game. This is the same chan everyone on this board said was a coward and too safe. This is the same Chan that despite being undefeated when we ran 50% or more and winless when we passed 51% or more still insisted on relying on Fitzcraptrick and a horrible set of WRs. This is the same Chan who called horrible plays at ends of tight games.

Thank you, but I will pass.

How soon you guys forget...

Chan Gailey hitched his wagon to Trent Edwards in 2010 after proclaiming in the off season that Brian Brohm(complete bum), Ryan Fitzpatrick (weak arm & inaccurate),Trent Edwards(Captain check-down) were all of about equal ability. :doh: Then Gailey named Edwards the starter in the 2010 pre season, and gave him all the first string reps. This IMO was the main reason as to why the Bills started that season 0-8 after Gailey cut Edwards 3 weeks into the season. Fitz was literally running for his life those first 5 games. Cornell Green ring any bells?

Then QB Ryan Fitzpatrick was named the starter, Fitz who was already on the roster from the Dick Jauron era and who was named starter the previous year by Perry Fewell after he benched Edwards in 2009. Fitz started 8 games and went 4-4 under Fewell. So it seems DC Perry Fewell was smarter then Gailey in which QB to start.

Gailey was so enamored with Fitz that he built his offense around him thinking he had another Tom Brady, and lauded him so much that the Bills gave Fitz an extension ..."The extension is valued at $59 million over six years, including $24 million in guaranteed money, team and league sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen." http://espn.go.com/n...es-new-contract

Gailey had an opportunity to draft Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick in 2011, Draft Russell Wilson in 2012 or even talk to in Peyton Manning in free agency. Instead Gailey stuck with Fitz for another 6-10 season

2010 offense 28th points- 25th in yards, 4-12

2011 offense 14th points-14th yards, 6-10

2012 offense 21 points- 19th yards, 6-10

Chan Gailey built a spread offense around a broken, back up QB, and failed to win many games because his offenses couldn't control the clock. Be grateful he is no longer in Buffalo.

Gailey doesn't know anything DC's or defense, doesn't know about WR's because besides SJ his WR stunk and was replaced asap by Marrone. 4-5 WR sets with one decent WR.

Doug Marrone, and his staff has already done better then Gailey his first four games. Plus, he is grooming a rookie QB. Something the supposed QB guru Chan Gailey failed to even try and do.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I go back and forth re Chan.

I have a feeling that Chan and Jauron are the same kinds if coaches.

Give them 3-win talent rosters, and they'll win you 7 games; give them 10-win talent rosters, and they'll still win you 7 games.

That is

Jauron did have a 13 win season with less talent in 2001. Blind squirrel finding a nut? We do face him on Thursday in Cleveland!

Gailey had an opportunity to draft Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick in 2011, Draft Russell Wilson in 2012 or even talk to in Peyton Manning in free agency. Instead Gailey stuck with Fitz for another 6-10 season

Andy Dalton is an average QB. The jury is still out on Kaepernick. No way Manning would have signed with the Bills for any amount of money. Only Wilson might be considered a big miss at this stage.

I'm not sure I understand the hindsight posts regarding Galley.

In my opinion Galley was in over his head a lot of the time and it was frustrating. As others have said, he would go away from the run eventhough it had worked an entire half. He refused to used Spillar inside the 20 after he would do all the work to get the Bills there. Way, way too many open backfield sets with WR's not getting open. He didn't do any sort of in game adjustments, IMO. It also annoyed me when it was 3rd and short and the Bills would come out with an empty backfield set. Beyond frustrating.

Lets not forget, these 2 situations are completely different. Hackett has a rookie QB at the helm and plenty of young WR's. Gailey had a "veteran" QB and a stable of experienced WR's, albeit not very talented. Did Galley do better with what he had? Maybe... But there's a reason he isn't on the sidelines this year.

This...

Not to mention Marrone needs time as a head coach. What this staff has done with a very young roster and a rash of injuries is so far impressive. It is amazing to see the difference a close win can make vs a close loss. The Bills will probably continue to win or lose games ugly due to youth on the roster. What we have to hope for is improvement week over week and a little luck.

Andy Dalton is an average QB. The jury is still out on Kaepernick. No way Manning would have signed with the Bills for any amount of money. Only Wilson might be considered a big miss at this stage.

You missed the point!

Gailey stuck with a broken, backup QB that even most of the fans here knew would never lead a team to the SB, much less a winning record. Instead of at least trying to find a rookie he could groom. Probably because he didn't know his rear end from his elbow in determining what to look for in a QB. He had Fitz, Brohm, Edwards and chose & started Trent Edwards....another broken QB. Eventually cut Edwards and even kept Brohm on the roster when he wasn't even back up worthy.

As for Andy Dalton being average....if Dalton is only average in your view, where does that leave Fitz? Wouldn't it be nice for the Bills to have a QB to lead a team to back to back playoff berths!! Imagine how good that Bills offense could have been If Gailey had even an ounce of smarts regarding players before they step on an NFL field. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/83459/bengals-andy-dalton-tops-among-peer-qbs

QB Colin Kaepernick has not only made the playoffs, but already been to a Super Bowl, and nearly won it.

Chan Gailey was a moron who knew how to get some good stats from a bum of a QB. Like I said, be grateful he is no longer with Buffalo.

Chan Gailey hitched his wagon to Trent Edwards in 2010 after proclaiming in the off season that Brian Brohm(complete bum), Ryan Fitzpatrick (weak arm & inaccurate),Trent Edwards(Captain check-down) were all of about equal ability. :doh: Then Gailey named Edwards the starter in the 2010 pre season, and gave him all the first string reps. This IMO was the main reason as to why the Bills started that season 0-8 after Gailey cut Edwards 3 weeks into the season. Fitz was literally running for his life those first 5 games. Cornell Green ring any bells?

Then QB Ryan Fitzpatrick was named the starter, Fitz who was already on the roster from the Dick Jauron era and who was named starter the previous year by Perry Fewell after he benched Edwards in 2009. Fitz started 8 games and went 4-4 under Fewell. So it seems DC Perry Fewell was smarter then Gailey in which QB to start.

Gailey was so enamored with Fitz that he built his offense around him thinking he had another Tom Brady, and lauded him so much that the Bills gave Fitz an extension ..."The extension is valued at $59 million over six years, including $24 million in guaranteed money, team and league sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen." http://espn.go.com/n...es-new-contract

2010 offense 28th points- 25th in yards, 4-12

2011 offense 14th points-14th yards, 6-10

2012 offense 21 points- 19th yards, 6-10

Chan Gailey built a spread offense around a broken, back up QB, and failed to win many games because his offenses couldn't control the clock. Be grateful he is no longer in Buffalo.

Gailey doesn't know anything DC's or defense, doesn't know about WR's because besides SJ his WR stunk and was replaced asap by Marrone. 4-5 WR sets with one decent WR.

Doug Marrone, and his staff has already done better then Gailey his first four games. Plus, he is grooming a rookie QB. Something the supposed QB guru Chan Gailey failed to even try and do.

This. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You missed the point!

Gailey stuck with a broken, backup QB that even most of the fans here knew would never lead a team to the SB, much less a winning record. Instead of at least trying to find a rookie he could groom. Probably because he didn't know his rear end from his elbow in determining what to look for in a QB. He had Fitz, Brohm, Edwards and chose & started Trent Edwards....another broken QB. Eventually cut Edwards and even kept Brohm on the roster when he wasn't even back up worthy.

As for Andy Dalton being average....if Dalton is only average in your view, where does that leave Fitz? Wouldn't it be nice for the Bills to have a QB to lead a team to back to back playoff berths!! Imagine how good that Bills offense could have been If Gailey had even an ounce of smarts regarding players before they step on an NFL field. http://espn.go.com/b...-among-peer-qbs

QB Colin Kaepernick has not only made the playoffs, but already been to a Super Bowl, and nearly won it.

Chan Gailey was a moron who knew how to get some good stats from a bum of a QB. Like I said, be grateful he is no longer with Buffalo.

How many other teams and coaches passed on Wilson and Kaepernick? How dumb are the 49ers for not noticing his talent on the bench when they had Alex Smith? As for "didn't talk to Peyton Manning" Are you kidding me? Like Peyton would ever come to a team whose WR corp aren't even in the league anymore.

Chan was too devoted to RF. That and his inability to hire an effective DC were his only two flaws. I wouldn't call him a moron producing with the offense he had last year, and it would have been interesting to see him with this squad.

Also FYI, he received offers last year, hell Jauron is still coaching, he just took the year off.

Edited by FireChan

You missed the point!

As for Andy Dalton being average....if Dalton is only average in your view, where does that leave Fitz? Wouldn't it be nice for the Bills to have a QB to lead a team to back to back playoff berths!! Imagine how good that Bills offense could have been If Gailey had even an ounce of smarts regarding players before they step on an NFL field. http://espn.go.com/b...-among-peer-qbs

Wow . Kaepernick did that all by himself? Thats quite a miracle that the 52 other players on the Niners had nothing to with their playoff run and SuperBowl appearance.

The Bills were bad last season not just because of Fitz. The porous defense and lack of legitimate threats outside of Spiller / Stevie pretty much doomed the team.

Edited by prissythecat

How many other teams and coaches passed on Wilson and Kaepernick? How dumb are the 49ers for not noticing his talent on the bench when they had Alex Smith? As for "didn't talk to Peyton Manning" Are you kidding me? Like Peyton would ever come to a team whose WR corp aren't even in the league anymore.

Chan was too devoted to RF. That and his inability to hire an effective DC were his only two flaws. I wouldn't call him a moron producing with the offense he had last year, and it would have been interesting to see him with this squad.

Also FYI, he received offers last year, hell Jauron is still coaching, he just took the year off.

The point was the Bills didn't even attempt to look at someone for QB other then Fitz, which is beyond moronic!!

What offers, from what teams and for what position? Have a link?

Wow . Kaepernick did that all by himself? Thats quite a miracle that the 52 other players on the Niners had nothing to with their playoff run and SuperBowl appearance.

The Bills were bad last season not just because of Fitz. The porous defense and lack of legitimate threats outside of Spiller / Stevie pretty much doomed the team.

Hey man, you were the one that stated Dalton is only average and the jury is still out on Kaepernick.

Be nice if the Bills had a QB that took his team to back to back playoffs and yet was only average or one the jury was still out on that took his team to a super bowl

What is all this chan love fest now? All of you are the same people that were blasting him all last year and years before for horrible offensive calls. This is the same Chan that refused to run even when our RBs DOMINATED the first half and instead throw every single play despite it not working and costing us the game. This is the same chan everyone on this board said was a coward and too safe. This is the same Chan that despite being undefeated when we ran 50% or more and winless when we passed 51% or more still insisted on relying on Fitzcraptrick and a horrible set of WRs. This is the same Chan who called horrible plays at ends of tight games.

Thank you, but I will pass.

What youre missing is that Chan is the REASON that the RB's dominated.

agree with gaileys tenure was spotty by his coaching staff. personally i like doug marrone. he is genuine, honest and wears his heart on his sleeve. for the seasons to come i feel he will get more respect anf will settle well in buffalo. it may not be a playoff year but i feel this will be the coach who can get us at least a playoff birth in years to come. hopefully sooner than later.

I seem to remember many, many people complaining about Chan and his play calling a lot the last few years.

His scheme was not very good at moving the ball the last year he was here.

It was stagnant and defenses knew how to attack us.

Chan is a nice guy but let's not get ignorant about this.

Gailey: 5.7 yards per play

Hackett: 4.9 yards per play

Gailey: 40% on 3rd down

Hackett: 30% on 3rd down

Gailey: 62% on 4th down

Hackett: 0% on 4th down

Gailey: 30 minutes TOP

Hackett: 27 minutes TOP

Gailey: 871 penalty yards

Hackett: 1264 penalty yards (on pace)

They're tied for 1st downs per game, but Hackett is running almost 10 more players per game. So it's taking Hackett 10 more plays to get the same amount off first downs as Gailey did with less.

You can't just take points and look at that. Because points are very indicative of how your defense is doing. How many touchdowns and field goals have we scored off of Kiko Alonso interceptions alone? LOL!

Gailey did A TON with a defense that was HORRIBLE.

His offense had to drive the full length of the field, over and over and over again.

Bash Gailey as a HC and I agree. Bash him as an OC and I gotta laugh at you.

Edited by ChallengeHistory

I agree with this! I liked Gailey a lot (my favorite Bills HC since Wade), but he wasn't without his faults when it came to gameday playcalling. People seem to forget, pretty quickly, how much Gailey was damned by many here, on a weekly basis for being "too pass happy", and then explaining, after the game, that the "running game just wasn't working" that particular day, despite evidence to the contrary. I feel he deserves credit for making the best of what he had, in guys like Donald Jones, and David Nelson...but, didn't most of us feel, at that time, that he was squandering games by refusing to play Spiller more, when he was was runnin the ball pretty effectively?

As Kelly points out, perhaps his biggest mistake, was putting too much trust in Fitz.

I do think the guy should be an OC somewhere, but given his history, it willl likely never happen again in Buffalo....

Edited by Buftex

Bash Gailey as a HC and I agree. Bash him as an OC and I gotta laugh at you.

Nathaniel Hackett is a rookie NFL OC, so its not very fair to compare Gailey vs Hackett after four games. Even so Gailey went 0-8 in 2010, and so far Hackett is 2-2 with a rookie QB.

I'm so happy Gailey / Fitz are gone, and the Bills are finally grooming a rookie QB.

Nathaniel Hackett is a rookie NFL OC, so its not very fair to compare Gailey vs Hackett after four games. Even so Gailey went 0-8 in 2010, and so far Hackett is 2-2 with a rookie QB.

I'm so happy Gailey / Fitz are gone, and the Bills are finally grooming a rookie QB.

You tell me you can't compare a rookie OC to Gailey and then try to use record as an argument completely ignoring that the defense has been winning us these games?

Wow.