Mike Pettine Appreciation Thread

Kudos to you Mike Pettine! Thank you for coming to Buffalo and fixing this defense. You are a brilliant defensive mind. What your scheme has done to improve our pressure and most suprisingly our secondary is mind blowing to what was occuring the last 3 years with pretty much the same personnel.

There is no doubt you won't be here long. You will be the "hottest" cooridnator in football after the 2013 season for head coaching positions.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Back to back weeks the defense looked like a legit NFL defense. Some issues against the run here and there but overall the defense has looked good not great but good. But the coaching has made this defense aggressive, smart, and better in coverage. Also Cudos to Mario for leading the way on the pass rush, last week he didn't do too bad but this week he showed how good he can be.

Kyle Williams put in another good effort, I will have to watch again to see how good Dareus did.

Edited by billsfan89

The other thing about having a D that can cover up mistakes is it allows a rookie QB to grow into the game. EJ fudged up and he will fudge up again like any rookie. Having a D that can bail you out and then give you a chance to win is awesome.

The D played well most of the game but let's not forget that the O bailed out the D at the end of the game. That's the way it should be. Each side picks the other up when they falter. Nice to see for a change.

The D played well most of the game but let's not forget that the O bailed out the D at the end of the game. That's the way it should be. Each side picks the other up when they falter. Nice to see for a change.

Lost in all the joy, is the job McKelvin did on Steve Smith, I think he has finally arrived

Lost in all the joy, is the job McKelvin did on Steve Smith, I think he has finally arrived

Funny, our biggest question mark in the D backfield going into the season is now our best player back there. He has stepped up.

As for Pettine and the Defense: Fitz took all the grief, but the real culprit for the putrid last few seasons has been the defensive coaching (and play, or lack of play). That change, more than anything, is why this team will be competitive and win games this season.

I don't know most of the coordinators who get HC gigs are on teams that a very good. Unless the Bill's go on to win 11 or 12 games, not sure how much viability he will truly get. Granted he's a little bit different than say a Gregg Williams as he already has a rep from his time with Jet's. I will grant you, that's the one team I could see hiring him, but beyond that I'm not sure how much notice he'll truey get.

Kudos to you Mike Pettine! Thank you for coming to Buffalo and fixing this defense. You are a brilliant defensive mind. What your scheme has done to improve our pressure and most suprisingly our secondary is mind blowing to what was occuring the last 3 years with pretty much the same personnel.

There is no doubt you won't be here long. You will be the "hottest" cooridnator in football after the 2013 season for head coaching positions.

yep

Admittedly, the Panthers still put up a lot of points on the Bills. But considering that the Bills started playing two of the most talented QB's in the league and held then to 23 points a game, each...not too bad. Especially when you consider that our best two DB's are injured.

Seriously, I think that completely healthy, this might be a top 10 defense.

A tiny little thing in the overall game but on the last play of the game, the guy I was watching the game with (an extremely smart, informed fan) both said that the Bills should blitz Newton. He's one of the only players in the game that can throw the ball 65 yards. Why rush three guys like everyone does and let him have a chance. Make him throw it quicker.

You never see it but that's what Pettine did and I think Kiko sacked him. He probably wasn't going to throw a 60 yard Hail Mary TD but why give him the chance? It was a small play but indicative of the fact there is a new Sheriff in town and a new attitude and I couldn't agree more.

The one time he went away from his aggressive play calling was the two minute drill at the end of the first half and it bit us in the ass. I hope he learned from that.

I loved the Blitz on the Hail Mary. For once we took things out of another teams hands. Love this defense.

And something rarely done, unless I am wrong. Probably made it doubly disruptive.

Edit: I was trying to say what Kelly said.

Edited by l< j

Pettine 's defense is everything we could hope for. Unfortunately, Wannstedt has snuck back to the staff, disguised as some guy named Hackett. Is it too early to bring in Chan as OC & send the little twit Hackett back to college?

Edited by yungmack