A Few Thoughts About the Game, in no particular order.....

7- really glad we traded Hughes for Sheppard.

8- I thought Lawson played well

Lawson was not seen nor heard and for a strong side linebacker that is pretty good. They did not run at him, though, as much as they ran to the weak side.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario got pissed at his fellow D today. Just before they converted a first down with a 5 yard run, he was waving his arms trying to get the DL to shift but they didn't listen. He was visibly pissed after the play, too. This passion is nice to see from our best defensive player. And he is, no matter who says differently.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree and I hope he continues leading on D.

Petine never up on the pressure I LOVE THAT.

This team is being coached up. Its a beautiful thing to see.

Hackett and this TRUE no-huddle was lovely to see. The Colts D was not ready for it. I hope they didn't show to much to the NE coaching staff. You know Belicheat was watching.

But Even tho Manual started slow he finished well. That end of the first half drive was called well and Manual took what the D gave. Then the dart to Dickerson was NICE.

For EJ's first game he played as well as you can expect.

Tuel ...wow where did that come from. Was impressed with him almost as much as E.J.

And Goodwin is a steal, are you kidding me?? That dude is blazing fast. The kick return job is his.

This game was great. Nice to see the coaching staff have a killer instinct. That kind of thing gives the team confidence.

It's only one game but one thing is clear already.....this coaching staff is much better than the previous one and that's one thing I was really looking forward to see.

Lawson was not seen nor heard and for a strong side linebacker that is pretty good. They did not run at him, though, as much as they ran to the weak side.

Lawson made some plays though...deflected passes, was in backfield, and looked good

I also disagree with #3/ Brooks. Yes, I'm a fanboy of his but he wasnt as bad as Bill claims. He got hit early with a taunting penalty - which likely wasn't anything different than every player has done in history. They're just gonna call 'em now and I hope he and the Bills learned their lesson. Beat for a score in single coverage? Hardly a disgrace. He's a baller and has been since he stepped on a football field. Missed more than half of last season but he played well when he returned and he's not going anywhere. I'm pulling for him to become our other corner.

A. Williams brought serious attitude to the Safety position we haven't seen in years. Much better fit there than corner.

Mario got pissed at his fellow D today. Just before they converted a first down with a 5 yard run, he was waving his arms trying to get the DL to shift but they didn't listen. He was visibly pissed after the play, too. This passion is nice to see from our best defensive player. And he is, no matter who says differently.

GO BILLS!!!

Even among his fans there was a narrative developing that he was only slightly better than average (disregarding the hate that he didnt deserve to make the roster from some). Truth is he's an incredibly gifted athlete that can physically dominate matchups. There's a reason he was the number 1 pick, and reasons he was paid like he was (and if we didnt, someone else would've paid similarly).... He's a stud, even if he isn't a speed rusher like most want. It's rare an end can be very productive both in the run and pass game like he can be. Hopefully he stays healthy and shows it.

10) Gaskins stopped moving his legs. That alone is huge to me. Horrible.

12) A.Williams looked at SS. Byrd plays FS.

15) Then you missed out on seeing a guy who might be turning his career back in to a football career.

10) hmmm that's about the first thing Freddie teaches any RB. I'll rewatch it, didnt catch that. Not good if so.

12) Ouch jeah... Caught me there.. :) In that case I hope Byrd comes back in great shape and we'll have a great team back there.

15) Jup, was so focussed on the DBs and especially the CBs as there are some major issues there. Glad to hear Troup had a strong game, he deserves it.

Lawson made some plays though...deflected passes, was in backfield, and looked good

Yes, and between him and Hughes I am very happy at the WLB.

I was very happy to see us fluidly switch between 4-3 and 3-4 by putting Bradham or Mario on the OL. Hughes opposite on the Will was the tallest midget. He was allowed to move and show his athleticism. I wonder if he could not be starting mid season in Pettine's D. Lawson's coverage surprised me and I am going to watch he and Bryan Scott much more Friday.

I'd not say reserved. I would say EJ's timing is still off. The speed of the NFL game is drastically different and he played at FSU. FSU in 2013, not in the 90's where the speed was killing it. EJ today saw quality he had not seen, speed every where on the field, speed and designed defense that is faster then ours. EJ Manuel today looked good but what he had a problem with was reading that speed and compensating for that.

Tuel looked better, by comparision, because the speed of the 2nd and 3rd teamers was much slower and less of a leap. The Colts defense beyond the starting unit was rather soft, also.

I think that people either aren't looking at or are minimizing the kind of pressure that EJ Manuel was under in comparison to Jeff Tuel. Manuel was faced with being 1st round QB pick, under "real" game pressure in that two minute drill and he flawlessly nailed the landing. Tuel had virtually no pressure and was able to come in as a late round pick who was told you can let 'er rip in a rapid fire passing system and against a team that was clearly ill prepared for that kind of pace.

I'm not saying that Tuel isn't THAT good, he may be THAT good. I'm just saying that there is a huge difference in the level of pressure the two rookie QBs faced. I'm very happy with both QBs. However, until EJ Manuel gives the Bills reason that the NFL game is too big for him (which I doubt very much will happen) he's THE MAN.

I agree and I hope he continues leading on D.

Petine never up on the pressure I LOVE THAT.

This team is being coached up. Its a beautiful thing to see.

Hackett and this TRUE no-huddle was lovely to see. The Colts D was not ready for it. I hope they didn't show to much to the NE coaching staff. You know Belicheat was watching.

But Even tho Manual started slow he finished well. That end of the first half drive was called well and Manual took what the D gave. Then the dart to Dickerson was NICE.

For EJ's first game he played as well as you can expect.

Tuel ...wow where did that come from. Was impressed with him almost as much as E.J.

And Goodwin is a steal, are you kidding me?? That dude is blazing fast. The kick return job is his.

This game was great. Nice to see the coaching staff have a killer instinct. That kind of thing gives the team confidence.

It's only one game but one thing is clear already.....this coaching staff is much better than the previous one and that's one thing I was really looking forward to see.

This

Yes, and between him and Hughes I am very happy at the WLB.

I was very happy to see us fluidly switch between 4-3 and 3-4 by putting Bradham or Mario on the OL. Hughes opposite on the Will was the tallest midget. He was allowed to move and show his athleticism. I wonder if he could not be starting mid season in Pettine's D. Lawson's coverage surprised me and I am going to watch he and Bryan Scott much more Friday.

Yeah Hughes has been impressive since adding him and I could see him playing his way into a starter if he keeps improving like this. But Pettine is gonna use a lot of guys, so I think he will get plenty of chances to get on field. He has not been good is pass coverage though which could be what keeps home from starting unless he improves quickly in that

Thanks, Bill, great stuff as usual.

On another point, I thought the kickoff coverage unit was pretty darn awesome. Holy hell those gunners were getting down the field fast and making good solid tackles.

Oh, and no comments about Hopkins? Sure didn't help himself out with those first few kickoffs.

Disagree on #3 with Ron Brooks. He made a huge play on a hit to Fleener to force the fumble and turnover. He also made some plays on ST that were impressive.

He made some mistakes today, but also made plays. He's also made some plays in camp. This kid still has plenty of upside and also stuff to work on. I think he's still gonna be a good player for us this year. He will have some growing pains, but this is a 2nd year player learning the second defense in 2 years. Give him more time

Watch just how fast he is cut if his game doesn't get MUCH better. He was WAY off today. A player at that level can lose football games for a team.

Whew, just got back home, so I wanted to join in. so here are a few thoughts:

EJ did look a bit sketchy early. That said, it seemed like there was a clear plan to run the ball down the Colts throat to begin, and there was an immediate immense dropoff when they first pulled Spiller.

Spiller looked incredible. I know they pulled him early, but his first two runs gave essential breathing room.

The defense looked...decent. They were beat a lot of times, and coverage certainly needs work, but pressure up front looked beautiful, and Mario looked like a force of nature coming around that blindside.

What the hell refs? What was the taunt? Seriously? D'Rick span the ball on the ground and we saw nothing, so I have to assume Brooks teabagged someone. Go back to ignoring facemask penalties!

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Special Teams rookie of the Year, Marquise Goodwin. Seriously, there is no reason NOT to put him there. McKelvin is desperately needed as CB depth and Goodwin is an absolute beast on returns.

EJ picked things up near the end, even throwing to the second stringers. I don't think I could script a better 2 minute drill, especially with the Bills getting the ball back after halftime. In game conditions, the opposing D will be extremely worn if we pull this out.

Longest ball was the 17 yarder to Dickerson for a score. I thought the same thing. Makes me wonder if they're playing reserved.

I have to assume so too. EJ had plenty of time, and we didn't see any Read Option of long balls, both of which were seen at practice.I'm assuming those are being reserved for Week 1 so Belicheat doesn't have time to look them over.

Thanks, Bill, great stuff as usual.

On another point, I thought the kickoff coverage unit was pretty darn awesome. Holy hell those gunners were getting down the field fast and making good solid tackles.

Oh, and no comments about Hopkins? Sure didn't help himself out with those first few kickoffs.

It appeared like they were working on him kicking high and inside the endzone, so as to prevent a TB but get the tackle short of the 20-yard line.

Brooks was good on ST too. I just don't know if he's a good outside CB. Let's give him slot work next game and maybe try Butler opposite Gilmore (unless McKelvin suits up).

Yeah, his stature makes him better for covering speedy slot receivers. Him being put outside was a desperation move after McKelvin and Rodgers were injured.

May god have mercy on our souls for those being better options...

Yeah, his stature makes him better for covering speedy slot receivers. Him being put outside was a desperation move after McKelvin and Rodgers were injured.

May god have mercy on our souls for those being better options...

Well maybe the Butler is primed for a breakout!

The first team D did a good job covering Fleener today.

Can't agree entirely here. Searcy looked like George Wilson trying to keep up on a couple plays.

Loved the play Kiko Alonzo made to break up the pass in the endzone. Kid stuck with the play all the way. We didn't have an LB that could make that play last year.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that people either aren't looking at or are minimizing the kind of pressure that EJ Manuel was under in comparison to Jeff Tuel. Manuel was faced with being 1st round QB pick, under "real" game pressure in that two minute drill and he flawlessly nailed the landing. Tuel had virtually no pressure and was able to come in as a late round pick who was told you can let 'er rip in a rapid fire passing system and against a team that was clearly ill prepared for that kind of pace.

I'm not saying that Tuel isn't THAT good, he may be THAT good. I'm just saying that there is a huge difference in the level of pressure the two rookie QBs faced. I'm very happy with both QBs. However, until EJ Manuel gives the Bills reason that the NFL game is too big for him (which I doubt very much will happen) he's THE MAN.

It is just a personal thing, but I have always wondered why teams play preseason like they do. If I was coaching I would literally create situations for my offense or defense. I would let my offense run a two minute drill with 9 minutes left in the 2nd. Let the defense rush the passer similar to goal line.

Yeah Hughes has been impressive since adding him and I could see him playing his way into a starter if he keeps improving like this. But Pettine is gonna use a lot of guys, so I think he will get plenty of chances to get on field. He has not been good is pass coverage though which could be what keeps home from starting unless he improves quickly in that

I am curious about Bryan Scott. After last years short comings, especially. I want to see what he does with Pettine working with him.

If NE was coming out two TE's strong then I know we would need Scott, but with Lawson and Hughes showing up, despite different positions, I am intrigued...confused...anxious. It's being 5 years old and having a Crayola 164 pack.

Kudo's to the coaching staff- young guys are putting together a good group of men- I have been to camp a couple of times this year. It feels so different. The players are really working hard and playing for each other.

This is almost exactly word for word what I have told some of my family after being at camp this year. As someone who was 11 or 12 just as the Bills started winning games, I am excited for the next few years, and hopefully a young enough staff to continue winning through later years.

... I am curious about Bryan Scott. After last years short comings, especially. I want to see what he does with Pettine working with him.

If NE was coming out two TE's strong then I know we would need Scott, but with Lawson and Hughes showing up, despite different positions, I am intrigued...confused...anxious. It's being 5 years old and having a Crayola 164 pack.

The key against NE is going to be the play of Alonzo and Lawson, the two LBs we have that don't have to come off the field and that can actually cover somebody in pass defense. I don't want Hughes anywhere near pass coverage. Let him get after the passer, that's what he does best. The minute we go small against NE, like last year, they will run it down our throats.

GO BILLS!!!

It is just a personal thing, but I have always wondered why teams play preseason like they do. If I was coaching I would literally create situations for my offense or defense. I would let my offense run a two minute drill with 9 minutes left in the 2nd. Let the defense rush the passer similar to goal line.

Since the opposing defense would be completely caught off guard by doing something like that, IMO it really wouldn't be a worth while practice. Confidence comes when you can succeed in a situation when the opposing team knows what you're going to do.

1) Tuel to Easley reminds me of Fitz to SJ. This is a GOOD thing. They played together as scrubs and developed a chemistry. This is a great thing to see.

2) Am I the only one who thought that Crezdon Butler had a very interesting game?

3) Ron Brooks was awful. If he doesn't play twice as good as he did today, he will not make this roster.

4) I sent a letter to am man I know,

It said, "One for the money, two for the show."

I waited all summer for his reply,

He said, "3 to get ready and 4 TO FLY."

5) Manuel? He was every bit as I could have hoped for and more.

6) Welch at LT? Sorry but no. His play resembled that of Raquel.

7) This team has some receivers, no? There are too many to keep. Seriously, they were doing this without Stevie Johnson taking away coverage. They can't keep them all, and I hope that they are able to get draft picks for a couple of them. As a Bills Fan, this was actually strange to watch.

8) Goodwin? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! He looked like McKelvin with a brain and football instincts!!!!! If his returns can stay anywhere close to what he did today, I don't really care if he ever catches a pass. The 106 yard TD was just that sick!

9) Glenn and Dareus looked out of shape. I guess this is normal for huge players, but it concerns me.

10) Hairston and Pears are not as bad as most of you think that they are.

11) Aaron Williams was surprisingly not bad at safety. Bear in mind that I never saw him play a good game at corner, and have always viewed him as an unthinkably dumb draft choice.

12) Who is this guy Kaufman?

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuel to Easley was great, I'll get to it more in just a minute.

Crezdon Butler is going to be a very good surprise for this team. Am I the only one that gets reminded of Antoine Winfield when I watch him?

Brooks looks rough but was most likely not expected on his end that he'd start. In all, is say he didn't make a case for him to be here but I still think he makes the team. He looked bad but he still has potential.

Yes. All summer of sifting through "Bills are moving" threads.

Manuel looked as good as can be for a rookie starter. He started shaky just like in the scrimmage but he got better as it went on. He definitely looks like he's learning on every single play. The run for a long gain was glorious and the play where he spun out of the pocket to throw it away was a play that a veteran makes.

Omg the receivers are amazing. We really have a great problem on our hands. In calling it now. We keep 7. Here they are: Stevie, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Rogers, Easley, Kaufman.

I'm with you. I don't care If Goodwin catches a single ball (which I think he might have the most TDs of all the rookies). If he has success on STs he can be the next Devin Hester of the NFL. He has Olympic speed and from what I saw today, really good vision. Hopefully he can catch too.

Didnt notice either Glenn or Dareus so your probably right. If they were in shape I'd think I would've noticed a good play by either.

Didnt notice Hairston at all. Saw some of Pears. Both long runs by CJ went right to his side so he must have done well.

Williams will be fine IMO at Safety. Not worried at all. Still don't think Byrd will be back but man, could you imagine if we got better???

Kaufman will definitely be on this team. He's a good STer and a good WR. Plus he's tall. He'll be here. He'll be the 7th WR.

Go Bills!!!!!

Back to Tuel. Not only will he get Kolb fired during the preseason. He's going to make an argument that he should get split reps with EJ by the 3rd pre season game. Of course I don't think that's ever going to happen but as JBoyst said already, I really hope they give this kid a chance to play. Would be great to have 2 young QBs on this roster. Who knows, EJ goes down for a few games and this kid could really impress. We'd have a Brees/Rivers situation on our hands.

A few more notes I noticed:

There was no letting up at all from this coaching staff. From whistle to whistle they were full go. On the field. The sideline. In the players faces when they screwed up. Giving them praise when they did well. I love this coaching staff. Absolutely love it.

Am I the only one that thinks that if we play Washington like we did today then all the sudden EJ is the Russel Wilson of this years QBs. All the sudden the Bills are the talk of the new up and coming teams. I know I need to curb my enthusiasm a little here but I can see it now. If we go in and continue, all the sudden were the young team with young QBs that is surprising everyone, just like Wash, Indy, and Sea last year.

Omg Goodwin. Can't say enough.

I never realized how small Hughes is.

Mario looked good on his sack and a few other plays. I'm sure Schoop, and Jerry Sullivan will find something to complain about though. Like he hours have done it all with no attitude or something stupid.

Pettine's defense looks like its going to be relentless. Can't wait to see week 1 vs the Pansies.

Thomas Welch looks just like Randy from My Name is Earl.

And lastly, I really hope we can manage to get through the pre season without any major injuries.

Edited by mrags

Welcome back Bill. The season has officially started.

Is anyone else a bit worried about the no-huddle approach? Something about it was bugging me today - granted the training wheels are still on, but still. You're running a no-huddle with a rookie QB who has trouble going through his progressions. I don't get why you run up to the line to call a series of 5-yard curl patterns. What's going to end up happening is that the defense is going to spend a LOT of time on the field, and even with an improved defensive scheme, that ain't a good thing.

I'm just saying - not to take away from what was an all-around good start - I hope Hackett takes his foot off the gas pedal from time to time. Having said that, E.J.'s best drive was the two-minute drill, so maybe I'm 100% wrong as usual.

Is anyone else a bit worried about the no-huddle approach? Something about it was bugging me today - granted the training wheels are still on, but still. You're running a no-huddle with a rookie QB who has trouble going through his progressions. I don't get why you run up to the line to call a series of 5-yard curl patterns. What's going to end up happening is that the defense is going to spend a LOT of time on the field, and even with an improved defensive scheme, that ain't a good thing.

I'm just saying - not to take away from what was an all-around good start - I hope Hackett takes his foot off the gas pedal from time to time. Having said that, E.J.'s best drive was the two-minute drill, so maybe I'm 100% wrong as usual.

Coach, the no-huddle concerned me at some points. Glenn looked gassed and then made a good play after a timeout. I am hoping that some of the no-huddle was to teach.

What gripped wrt this game was that it looks like we had a good draft, and that the receiving corps is unusually good. I still am taking this in and trying to sort it out. :)

Here's one other thought, the broadcast teams need to learn they can't keep showing replays during Bills games as too often you'll be missing the next play. How many times today did that happen, half dozen maybe??

PS I was watching on NFL network, not sure if Western NY got that feed or another local one??

Five yard curl patterns mean 16 plays to go 80 yards. ;)

Here's one other thought, the broadcast teams need to learn they can't keep showing replays during Bills games as too often you'll be missing the next play. How many times today did that happen, half dozen maybe??

PS I was watching on NFL network, not sure if Western NY got that feed or another local one??

In Roch (time warner) the NFL network had the packers game and they had the Bills on the time warner sports channel.

We had the two ex Bills super homer announcers. I know that's what most fans want in an announcer, but I find it embarrassing.

Edited by CodeMonkey

9) Glenn and Dareus looked out of shape. I guess this is normal for huge players, but it concerns me.

Not impressed with the DL today. Colts got pretty good push in the running game and on interior penetration on passing downs.

I'm no rocket scientist but I guarantee that teams are going to run it at the Bills this season:

1) The Bills stunk vs the run last season

2) Pettine's Jets stunk vs the run last season

3) The Bills don't have a true run stuffing interior lineman. Dareus, the closest thing, is still trying to play up to his rookie season.

4) The linebackers, led by Alonzo, are pretty small.

Dareus must play big this season otherwise this is going to be a problem.

1) Tuel to Easley reminds me of Fitz to SJ. This is a GOOD thing. They played together as scrubs and developed a chemistry. This is a great thing to see.

2) Am I the only one who thought that Crezdon Butler had a very interesting game?

3) Ron Brooks was awful. If he doesn't play twice as good as he did today, he will not make this roster.

4) I sent a letter to am man I know,

It said, "One for the money, two for the show."

I waited all summer for his reply,

He said, "3 to get ready and 4 TO FLY."

5) Manuel? He was every bit as I could have hoped for and more.

6) Welch at LT? Sorry but no. His play resembled that of Raquel.

7) This team has some receivers, no? There are too many to keep. Seriously, they were doing this without Stevie Johnson taking away coverage. They can't keep them all, and I hope that they are able to get draft picks for a couple of them. As a Bills Fan, this was actually strange to watch.

8) Goodwin? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! He looked like McKelvin with a brain and football instincts!!!!! If his returns can stay anywhere close to what he did today, I don't really care if he ever catches a pass. The 106 yard TD was just that sick!

10) Hairston and Pears are not as bad as most of you think that they are.

11) Aaron Williams was surprisingly not bad at safety. Bear in mind that I never saw him play a good game at corner, and have always viewed him as an unthinkably dumb draft choice.

12) Who is this guy Kaufman?

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill from NYC, good to see you back & good to read your post. Things looked good today. I don't think we had an early preseason win in a long, long time. Go Bills

Nice post and summary as usual, Bill.

My observations:

1] We were prepared and well coached, and aggressive the whole game. That was the best part of this. Basically, even though Pettine has called defenses before, our HC, DC and OC were coaching their first games in the NFL at these jobs and all three did very well. We called good plays on offense and defense. We weren't out of position. We had few penalties and mistakes. We dictated a lot of the play and were more physical. Kudos to the coaches.

2] EJ was about what I expected. He made some bad throws where he looked nervous and aiming it, but he didn't make bad decisions. I was hoping for a couple more wow throws but we got one and it was a TD on a 92 yard 2 minute drill. It's a very good start.

3] ST all around were pretty great, with obviously Goodwin showing tremendous ability and speed. His timing and cuts were not a track star but a football player. Hopkins disappointed on KOs but made his gimme FGs. Coverage was good. Woods won't be our PR.

4] Our CBs are still a huge issue. Butler looked good. We need a veteran late cut to come in and be a #3 or top reserve. Aaron Williams looks like a safety although we need Byrd bad.

5] For a first game, Kiko looks like a player. I liked what I saw from Lawson. Hughes was up and down but a great trade for Sheppard. I still worry about our run D but Pettine as a coach should help the unit tremendously. We may have to live with giving up a bunch of yards and plays but getting turnovers.

6] OL looked very good in pass protection and very shoddy in run blocking.

7] Tuel was obviously very good, but there is a huge difference from what he did with who he was playing with and against vs. an NFL regular season game. There is no way we should think about cutting Kolb and I very much doubt our coaches would even entertain that idea. Still, Tuel is a nice project and looks way better than the Levi Browns of the Bills.

8] Easley made a statement against back-ups. He still has a chance. I think we keep six and it is down to Easley vs Brad Smith for #6 with Rogers making the team. That's just an opinion. With Goodwin's showing, as well as the WRs in general, Smith's importance lessens.

9] Hackett was my least favorite hire and he has become perhaps my favorite. He's got a very good football mind. We may have something in our staff on both sides of the ball but that remains to be seen for a long time.

10] Watch for Mario to be an absolute beast in this defense.