A Few Thoughts About the Game, in no particular order.....

1) Tuel to Easley reminds me of Fitz to SJ. This is a GOOD thing. They played together as scrubs and developed a chemistry. This is a great thing to see.

2) Am I the only one who thought that Crezdon Butler had a very interesting game?

3) Ron Brooks was awful. If he doesn't play twice as good as he did today, he will not make this roster.

4) I sent a letter to am man I know,

It said, "One for the money, two for the show."

I waited all summer for his reply,

He said, "3 to get ready and 4 TO FLY."

5) Manuel? He was every bit as I could have hoped for and more.

6) Welch at LT? Sorry but no. His play resembled that of Raquel.

7) This team has some receivers, no? There are too many to keep. Seriously, they were doing this without Stevie Johnson taking away coverage. They can't keep them all, and I hope that they are able to get draft picks for a couple of them. As a Bills Fan, this was actually strange to watch.

8) Goodwin? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! He looked like McKelvin with a brain and football instincts!!!!! If his returns can stay anywhere close to what he did today, I don't really care if he ever catches a pass. The 106 yard TD was just that sick!

9) Glenn and Dareus looked out of shape. I guess this is normal for huge players, but it concerns me.

10) Hairston and Pears are not as bad as most of you think that they are.

11) Aaron Williams was surprisingly not bad at safety. Bear in mind that I never saw him play a good game at corner, and have always viewed him as an unthinkably dumb draft choice.

12) Who is this guy Kaufman?

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Tuel to Easley reminds me of Fitz to SJ. This is a GOOD thing. They played together as scrubs and developed a chemistry. This is a great thing to see.

2) Am I the only one who thought that Crezdon Butler had a very interesting game?

3) Ron Brooks was awful. If he doesn't play twice as good as he did today, he will not make this roster.

4) I sent a letter to am man I know,

It said, "One for the money, two for the show."

I waited all summer for his reply,

He said, "3 to get ready and 4 TO FLY."

5) Manuel? He was every bit as I could have hoped for and more.

6) Welch at LT? Sorry but no. His play resembled that of Raquel.

7) This team has some receivers, no? There are too many to keep. Seriously, they were doing this without Stevie Johnson taking away coverage. They can't keep them all, and I hope that they are able to get draft picks for a couple of them. As a Bills Fan, this was actually strange to watch.

8) Goodwin? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! He looked like McKelvin with a brain and football instincts!!!!! If his returns can stay anywhere close to what he did today, I don't really care if he ever catches a pass. The 106 yard TD was just that sick!

9) Glenn and Dareus looked out of shape. I guess this is normal for huge players, but it concerns me.

10) Hairston and Pears are not as bad as most of you think that they are.

11) Aaron Williams was surprisingly not bad at safety. Bear in mind that I never saw him play a good game at corner, and have always viewed him as an unthinkably dumb draft choice.

12) Who is this guy Kaufman?

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12) a guy worth keeping!

Have to disagree on no. 6.

As you should know Bill, in her day, Raquel Welch at LT would have stopped any and all D-linemen in their tracks!

That said, yeah, he didn't impress.

I was also pleased by the fact that pretty much every catchable pass was caught.

Loved what I saw from the D just purely from a schematic standpoint. What a difference. Looks like shockingly its gonna be hard to cut down our receivers. CJ looked just like last year minus the fumble, and Fred looked like his old self on that pass play in the red zone. Loved the fact that guys were playing hard till the final whistle. Also liked how EJ settled in a bit after the early jitters and had a great 2 min drill. Going to be an exciting season I think with some ups and downs, but looks like a different attitude which is good. Go Bills!

And did you hear Warren Sapp gushing about Mario? And he was right. Mario is far and away the best player on this team!!!

Mario got pissed at his fellow D today. Just before they converted a first down with a 5 yard run, he was waving his arms trying to get the DL to shift but they didn't listen. He was visibly pissed after the play, too. This passion is nice to see from our best defensive player. And he is, no matter who says differently.

GO BILLS!!!

Kudo's to the coaching staff- young guys are putting together a good group of men- I have been to camp a couple of times this year. It feels so different. The players are really working hard and playing for each other. I'm not thinking playoffs, but I am thinking this could be the start of something special.

Going for it on 4th and goal?

LOVE IT!!!

Mike Schopp is going to talk about this tomorrow and I want to beat him to the punch: other than Toule this was my favorite part of the game.

There is a difference between a 10 & 13 pt lead contrary to what a lot of fans say. But that difference is mostly offset by field position when the opponent takes over on their 5 after a 4th down fail (as opposed to their 20-25 after a FG). This is pretty basic math that 95%+ of NFL coaches fail miserably at. I hope they didn't go for it just because "it's preseason".

1) Easley needs more reps. He needs confidence after today. He is still something special, I promise.

2) I could not figure out what it was. Glad you caught it - interesting. Just like Rolle in a different way, hard to imagine he played at Catawba and not USC (the real USC - South Carolina).

3) Can we draft a CB next year? Or is it going to be OL 1st? God, I wanted one this year but I am happy with what we have.

5) The only worry I have with Manuel was he seemed to pull away from the long ball. I want to see him throw 20+. I would kill to see him go deep on a 2nd or 3rd read.

6) I won't acknowledge the OL because I am in a good mood.

7) If we keep 7 WR's, I am sure Kaufman could go to PS. I would keep 7 WR's before I would 3 QB's...right now, after the first preseason. Just sayin'

8) I thought it was McKelvin...

9) Our entire set of DT's looked awful. Jay Ross should be cut tomorrow. The guy was blown off the ball, lit up, and run over by 2nd and 3rd teamers. I did not even notice Kyle Williams today. I am not even sure he played? I specifically watched the DT's and MLB's, too!!!

10) There are good things on the line, but there is a black hole abyss that I do not want to get sucked in and it is on the left side.

11) Aaron Williams at FS when I took a chance to watch him - about 3 times, was exceptional. He appeared to be a factor on many plays as I followed Bradham and Alonso.

12) Kaufman is Kamar Aiken in disguise. I am not going to get too high on him...yet.

----

My notes. Bill, I've always admired your work. I have always looked forward to your wrap ups and this year I have vowed to take notes and watch games closely. I want to contribute more football to this board. So, I did so, and have to thank you.

So, I keyed in on Bradham, Alonso and the DT's.

Torrell Troup looked to be having fun, playing hard, and dedicated. He was the only positive I consistently saw on the DT's. He was getting to the ball, going out there after screens, he was around the ball as much as he could be. He looked rough but he looked like he was giving a great effort and not getting crushed. Maybe it was that he was playing beside and compared to Jay Ross who several times I noticed was down and out. He was drove back one play 6 yards and on his knees only to be followed by being knocked completely on his side. Dareus was being double and triple teamed a few times. He was not awful, just not where I hoped he was. However, I am not sure I am giving him credit because he consumed parts of the OL. More on this in a minute. Kyle Williams. Did he play today? I didn't notice anything and it concerned me. His speed to get in the pocket and disrupt a play? I do not know, but if I wanted to go on a limb, I see if I can find a good LG and a draft pick for KW...just seeing the options.

Alonso might have got an A-. Bradham a B. Only once did Alonso make a truly bad play where he just could not make it - juked out of his jock. The play against the TE to stop the TD was brilliant. This guy had vision, this guy was very comfortable and I want to thank Mario Williams for that. Williams was minding the DL, Gilmore likely took control of the DB's (Which, after that first pass against him, he shut it down). I think this gave Alonso a chance to just relax and play football. Carrington on the outside was the benifit of Bradham and Bradham benefited from Carrington. I like these two on the weak side. Keep an eye on these two because both Bradham and Alonso got to where they need to be without having to worry Carrington not setting an edge.

We have good things in our MLB's but need to be worried about our gut. This triangle ain't complete.

Crezdon looked great. I thought he made some huge plays.

Goodwin...Goodwin...Gone. (can i coin this phrase?)

Jeff Tripplet pisses me off.

Hi Bill.

I'm having a hard time digesting all this euphoria.

Trying to stay grounded.

So far failing.

Kudos to you for having rationale thoughts!

I believe I can fly....

But as my buddy always tells me...

Big tree fall hard.

One negative I saw. After CJ left, no running game at all. Line wasn't opening many holes, it seems.

Even with CJ in, there were only a few good runs, and on offense I watched the TE's early until it was worthless. EJ wasn't going to TE's.

The TE's and TJ Graham lead blocks for Spiller very well. I am very much hoping CJ can run down the field instead of across. If we cannot pass protect we cannot pass, and if we cannot pass then we have no chance in being able to run block. Very concerned abotu our blocking.

Disagree on #3 with Ron Brooks. He made a huge play on a hit to Fleener to force the fumble and turnover. He also made some plays on ST that were impressive.

He made some mistakes today, but also made plays. He's also made some plays in camp. This kid still has plenty of upside and also stuff to work on. I think he's still gonna be a good player for us this year. He will have some growing pains, but this is a 2nd year player learning the second defense in 2 years. Give him more time

Disagree on #3 with Ron Brooks. He made a huge play on a hit to Fleener to force the fumble and turnover. He also made some plays on ST that were impressive.

He made some mistakes today, but also made plays. He's also made some plays in camp. This kid still has plenty of upside and also stuff to work on. I think he's still gonna be a good player for us this year. He will have some growing pains, but this is a 2nd year player learning the second defense in 2 years. Give him more time

He got burned for a TD... No bigger mistake then that.

I do not know if for sure, but I am confident that almost all the passes were completed to Brooks' side. Even the runs that had the most success to the outside were at Brooks

Good post. As for EJ, as an FSU fan he gave me some uncomfortable flashbacks today in the first quarter. My biggest gripes with him as a Nole' were that sometimes he seems like he doesn't trust what he sees and is a split second late with his passes(the slant that was behind Hogan, and the pass he completed to him near the goal line, he was just a hair late with the throw). Would have liked to see him have a bit more success against the Colts starters and also wouldn't have minded seeing him push the ball down the field a bit. In the end it was a very encouraging performance. He settled down and threw some nice balls on that 2 minute drill. I also disagree about Brooks. Like the poster above me said he made mistakes but he also made plays. it's the first preseason game. I liked what I saw, seems like an aggressive kid who isn't afraid to go after it.

1) Easley needs more reps. He needs confidence after today. He is still something special, I promise.

2) I could not figure out what it was. Glad you caught it - interesting. Just like Rolle in a different way, hard to imagine he played at Catawba and not USC (the real USC - South Carolina).

3) Can we draft a CB next year? Or is it going to be OL 1st? God, I wanted one this year but I am happy with what we have.

5) The only worry I have with Manuel was he seemed to pull away from the long ball. I want to see him throw 20+. I would kill to see him go deep on a 2nd or 3rd read.

6) I won't acknowledge the OL because I am in a good mood.

7) If we keep 7 WR's, I am sure Kaufman could go to PS. I would keep 7 WR's before I would 3 QB's...right now, after the first preseason. Just sayin'

8) I thought it was McKelvin...

9) Our entire set of DT's looked awful. Jay Ross should be cut tomorrow. The guy was blown off the ball, lit up, and run over by 2nd and 3rd teamers. I did not even notice Kyle Williams today. I am not even sure he played? I specifically watched the DT's and MLB's, too!!!

10) There are good things on the line, but there is a black hole abyss that I do not want to get sucked in and it is on the left side.

11) Aaron Williams at FS when I took a chance to watch him - about 3 times, was exceptional. He appeared to be a factor on many plays as I followed Bradham and Alonso.

12) Kaufman is Kamar Aiken in disguise. I am not going to get too high on him...yet.

----

My notes. Bill, I've always admired your work. I have always looked forward to your wrap ups and this year I have vowed to take notes and watch games closely. I want to contribute more football to this board. So, I did so, and have to thank you.

So, I keyed in on Bradham, Alonso and the DT's.

Torrell Troup looked to be having fun, playing hard, and dedicated. He was the only positive I consistently saw on the DT's. He was getting to the ball, going out there after screens, he was around the ball as much as he could be. He looked rough but he looked like he was giving a great effort and not getting crushed. Maybe it was that he was playing beside and compared to Jay Ross who several times I noticed was down and out. He was drove back one play 6 yards and on his knees only to be followed by being knocked completely on his side. Dareus was being double and triple teamed a few times. He was not awful, just not where I hoped he was. However, I am not sure I am giving him credit because he consumed parts of the OL. More on this in a minute. Kyle Williams. Did he play today? I didn't notice anything and it concerned me. His speed to get in the pocket and disrupt a play? I do not know, but if I wanted to go on a limb, I see if I can find a good LG and a draft pick for KW...just seeing the options.

Alonso might have got an A-. Bradham a B. Only once did Alonso make a truly bad play where he just could not make it - juked out of his jock. The play against the TE to stop the TD was brilliant. This guy had vision, this guy was very comfortable and I want to thank Mario Williams for that. Williams was minding the DL, Gilmore likely took control of the DB's (Which, after that first pass against him, he shut it down). I think this gave Alonso a chance to just relax and play football. Carrington on the outside was the benifit of Bradham and Bradham benefited from Carrington. I like these two on the weak side. Keep an eye on these two because both Bradham and Alonso got to where they need to be without having to worry Carrington not setting an edge.

We have good things in our MLB's but need to be worried about our gut. This triangle ain't complete.

Longest ball was the 17 yarder to Dickerson for a score. I thought the same thing. Makes me wonder if they're playing reserved.

He got burned for a TD... No bigger mistake then that.

It happens. I recall our 10th overall pick Steph Gilmore being roasted last year by Mark Sanchez and the Jets week 1. Kid(Brooks) made some things happen, i'm hardly thinking about cutting him right now.

It happens. I recall our 10th overall pick Steph Gilmore being roasted last year by Mark Sanchez and the Jets week 1. Kid(Brooks) made some things happen, i'm hardly thinking about cutting him right now.

Exactly my point. Kid got beat by a good WR...he responded by laying some wood and causing a turnover for us and also made good plays on ST. He has talent and is NO WHERE near being cut and will almost certainly be our nickel DB and could be starter if McKelvin doesn't do anything in camp and Brooks gets better.

He also showed a lot of promise in regular season games last year.

My thoughts in your thread... :)

1) Let's stay realistic, the feeling I got from the first couple of series... Holy smoke the Pats* are going to have a field day against us... :(

2) What a difference a few series make, EJ looked the real deal on that 2 minute drive. Something he's been practising at through out OTA, mini and tc a lot. That is promising, he needs more time clearly but the potential is surely there. Patience, hopefully he'll be ready by the start of the season.

3) Man do I miss Levitre or even Reihnhart, we have a big issue on the o-line on the left side, if Brown goes down we're f-ed. May as well not run over the left side, as good as no run blocking there.

4) Holy violence, do I love the new defense.

5) Ron Brooks played awesome, great hard hitting, forced a fumble and then he wifffs like a mofo which costs us a TD, also that taunting penalty was stupid.

6) I'm dreading cut day, we're going to be loosing some potential all star WRs. TJ, Easley, Woods, Goodwin, Kaufman, Rogers... I'd be happy with that WR core, I honestly dont see Smith making the roster.

7) Only one ball to Da'Rick Rogers, for a TD.

8) Jeff Tuell looks like he's Tom* Brady* himself. Wow. Love to see him against ones.

9) Zac Brown meh

10) Gaskins old school RB, hit the hole get what they give you.

11) Provo needs to be cut yesterday.

12) Aaron Williams looked like a better version of Byrd.

13) Kiko Alonso... WOW. Wonder if Jordan will be as good or that Alonso made him look that much better then he is.

14) Welch not going to cut it either.

15) Didnt see Troup. Edit: didnt look hard enough for him it seems.

16) Man do we have depth on defense, wish we had some more with the CBs. Most of the DBs look like safeties.

17) Both Meeks and Williams disappointed me somewhat.

18) Run defense still lacking.

19) Didnt like the offensive play calling in the first couple of series at all. Also note that I hate running out the clock and then ending up giving the ball back after a 3 and out.

20) Cant remember ever having this much fun watching a pre-season game down to the very last minute.

21) Butler seemed to have stepped it up today, maybe he'll safe the CB depth situation.

Edited by bladiebla

Thanks for posting Bill. Seeing this thread makes me smile. It's baaaaaaaack!!

Agree with most of what you said, although I disagree with #3. Brooks got toasted 2 times from what I saw. The TY td sucked for sure. His forced fumble was violent and kept the colts from putting points on the board. I think his roster spot is safe. Jmo. Did Hairston play today? Pears played ok, had a false start as well.

My random thoughts:

1-I'm happy with EJs performance. Jittery start for sure. Looked stiff on a couple passes and was aiming early. Looked just fine as he got more comfortable.

2-Kevin Kolb might get cut. If tuel keeps this up, he's should be our number 2. 2 rookie QBs and no vets? I'm fine with it. I really like what I see from Tuel. Watching his videos from college after we signed him, he impressed me. Good speed and feet. Decent velocity and nice touch. Love his deep balls. Would like to see how he performs vs a starting defensive unit. I'd rather have that roster spot for another WR and would be fine with cutting kolb as of now. We'll see how he responds.

3-speaking of WRs. I hope our into includes SJ, Woods, Goodwin, Graham, Rogers and Easley. Keep Brad? I'm fine with it because of his ST, but not over those 6. Hogan (if eligible) and/or Kaufman on the PS. I really think, like many of you, that are WRs are now a strength of the team. Goodwin really looks special with the ball in his hands. I wish he got more involved in the passing game today.

4-wasn't impressed with the 1st OL vs the colts 1st team defense. Cj can make them look better than they are. Hopefully Hackett and EJ can do the same. I really hope we address the OL in next years draft like we did with WRs this year. Adding 2 good OL would be significant.

5-Alonso looked good. Was way behind brown on that screen pass, but loved the PBU on fleener (I think) in the end zone. Thought it was a td.

6- love Pettines play calling. Loved Hacketts play calling. Do we finally have 2 legitimate coordinators? I think so. Hope they stay with us for years to come. They get me fired up.

7- really glad we traded Hughes for Sheppard.

8- I thought Lawson played well.

9- Of the bubble players, I hope really Rogers, Robey, Tuel, Blatnick, Gragg and Easley make the team. In that order.

10-Cj is the man. Love that kid.

Edited by NewEra

Longest ball was the 17 yarder to Dickerson for a score. I thought the same thing. Makes me wonder if they're playing reserved.

I'd not say reserved. I would say EJ's timing is still off. The speed of the NFL game is drastically different and he played at FSU. FSU in 2013, not in the 90's where the speed was killing it. EJ today saw quality he had not seen, speed every where on the field, speed and designed defense that is faster then ours. EJ Manuel today looked good but what he had a problem with was reading that speed and compensating for that.

Tuel looked better, by comparision, because the speed of the 2nd and 3rd teamers was much slower and less of a leap. The Colts defense beyond the starting unit was rather soft, also.

12) That's just insane. Byrd is an elite safety in the NFL, Aaron Willy a failed corner who looked good in a preseason game against a vanilla gameplan with Luck playing two series. Pump the brakes. 13.)I remember a quote from a scout who said that every time he watched Oregon tape to check out Jordan his eyes took him to Alonzo, who was making all the plays.

My thoughts in your thread... :)

10) Gaskins old school RB, hit the hole get what they give you.

12) Aaron Williams looked like a better version of Byrd.

15) Didnt see Troup.

10) Gaskins stopped moving his legs. That alone is huge to me. Horrible.

12) A.Williams looked at SS. Byrd plays FS.

15) Then you missed out on seeing a guy who might be turning his career back in to a football career.

12) That's just insane. Byrd is an elite safety in the NFL, Aaron Willy a failed corner who looked good in a preseason game against a vanilla gameplan with Luck playing two series. Pump the brakes. 13.)I remember a quote from a scout who said that every time he watched Oregon tape to check out Jordan his eyes took him to Alonzo, who was making all the plays.

For the 100000000 time

Byrd - FS

Williams - SS

I found the amount of playing time that Frank Summers got to be interesting. Especially all the plays he ran with the ones. There wasn't much talk about keeping a fullback, but it seems they think relatively highly of Summers.

10) Gaskins stopped moving his legs. That alone is huge to me. Horrible.

12) A.Williams looked at SS. Byrd plays FS.

15) Then you missed out on seeing a guy who might be turning his career back in to a football career.

For the 100000000 time

Byrd - FS

Williams - SS

That was in response to the poster who said Williams looked like a "better version" of Byrd.