Doug Marrone grows irritated

so PFT reports that Mario is getting a second opinion...nothing serious, but they want him to rest it

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk16m

Mario Williams gets second opinion on foot, per league source. Not believed to be serious but doctor advised him to rest it.

Hmm... wonder why no local guys broke this? Maybe they could stand to write a couple puff pieces to balance out the scathing critiques littered throughout the local mediascape.

So far today we've seen Sully, Sal Maiorana, TIMMAH, JW, and Adam Benigni insinuate that Marrone is a liar. What a bunch of hacks. Isn't it disingenuous to accuse the coach of lying while downplaying the fact that he was badgered? And that he lost his cool when he immediately (IMO, unnecessarily) apologized? Come on, this is practically yellow journalism.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theyve been watching newsroom and are feeling a bit inspired by jim harper shaking up coverage on the campaign trail. we will see how far they take it.

HA - amazing reference, just watched that last night. These guys are definitely gonna get tossed off the bus...

ok: we never won more than 6 games with him as our coach. hows that?

this f*cking board is filled with some of the biggest p*ssies this side of a dealing with menopause forum.

now watch for this guy to write back that he's "offended' by my post.

Absolutely agree with you!

Hmm... wonder why no local guys broke this? Maybe they could stand to write a couple puff pieces to balance out the scathing critiques littered throughout the local mediascape.

So far today we've seen Sully, Sal Maiorana, TIMMAH, JW, and Adam Benigni insinuate that Marrone is a liar. What a bunch of hacks. Isn't it disingenuous to accuse the coach of lying while downplaying the fact that he was badgered? And that he lost his cool when he immediately (IMO, unnecessarily) apologized? Come on, this is practically yellow journalism.

Why So Serious?

Comment of the Century:

fireeyes111 says:Jul 30, 2013 3:16 PM

Trust me, no one is concerned about Marrone being rattled by the local media (or what passes for media in Buffalo).

The local reporting crew, excepting a choice few, are well-known to be vapid, self-important know-it-alls who’ve made a living bashing the local sports teams from any angle they can find. Negativity is what sells in a town with historically bad teams, and they go far out of their way to be as negative as possible.

Not even the fans in Buffalo like them, save the fatalistic, mouth-breathing whackos who call the WGR Whiner Line.

This pretty says it all about the Buffalo (local) media. Sullivan and Maiorana lead the way and the rest of the wanna be irritating "writers" goosestep right behind them. I guess without a real journalist to look up to, these guys tend to follow right behind the likes of someone like Sullivan, who seems to have an axe to grind with everyone. It's unfortunate because a couple of them used to be pretty decent early on with their journalism but have strayed drastically over the last year or so.

After reading some of the media accounts of, and responses to, Doug Marrone today - this is my two cents: They seem to find it incredulous that Marrone didn't have any further information regarding Mario Williams and that he had not taken the time to find out - and that the purpose of asking over and over was because Marrone's answers were "hard to believe." If Doug Marrone had, in any way up to this point, been deceptive or dishonest with the media, then they would have every right in the world to find what he says "hard to believe," and openly question his integrity. However, as far as anyone knows, he has been nothing but straight forward and honest. What they think he should know or should have found out is irrelevant. Until proven that it should be otherwise, he should be treated as what he appears to be - a man of integrity and honesty. I watched the video and it appeared to me that questioning his integrity is what annoyed him. I don't blame him. Anyone who has their integrity questioned for no good reason would probably be annoyed or offended as well.

mr. graham has spoken up....but couldn't resist a bit of a dig

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/07/reports-mario-williams-left-camp-for-a-second-opinion-foot-ok.html

So what was the big deal? The Bills simply could have told reporters "Mario is getting a second opinion on his foot, and until the result from that examination comes back we're going to refrain from any comment about the injury."

That would have saved the team and coach Doug Marrone quite a bit of trouble the past couple days.

Why So Serious?

Comment of the Century:

Trust me, no one is concerned about Marrone being rattled by the local media (or what passes for media in Buffalo).

The local reporting crew, excepting a choice few, are well-known to be vapid, self-important know-it-alls who’ve made a living bashing the local sports teams from any angle they can find. Negativity is what sells in a town with historically bad teams, and they go far out of their way to be as negative as possible.

Not even the fans in Buffalo like them, save the fatalistic, mouth-breathing whackos who call the WGR Whiner Line.

This pretty says it all about the Buffalo (local) media. Sullivan and Maiorana lead the way and the rest of the wanna be irritating "writers" goosestep right behind them. I guess without a real journalist to look up to, these guys tend to follow right behind the likes of someone like Sullivan, who seems to have an axe to grind with everyone. It's unfortunate because a couple of them used to be pretty decent early on with their journalism but have strayed drastically over the last year or so.

Why So Serious?

Comment of the Century:

I don't think Sullivan has an axe to grind. I think he realizes, when your sports franchises suck, you have to use the negative angle to create a stir and some interest. He's smart. He knows there is no other angle to go at this from. I don't think it's about axes to grind, I just think it's his chosen angle so that people buy what he's selling. If the teams were any good, we could complain about his style, but they are bad, so how can we complain about his negativity. Especially when the professional teams here in Buffalo have made it easy to be negative, They are bad.

JW has yet to tweet out the news, apparently the answer wasn't really that important to him, otherwise I'd think he would at least tweet out to his followers the latest news....his last two tweets are from 2 & 6 hours ago

it's BS like these clowns pull, that make me miss the late great Larry Felser even more.

Tim graham is a hack that should go back to the ESPN AFCE blog. At least there he wasn't over his journalistic head.

Possibly the local press still have their panties in a wad since Brandon's state of the franchise pep talk on new years eve that included NO press. Edited by Best Player Available

Marrone is serving notice just like Parcells used to do. Well done, coach. Sure didn't take long for the scribes to circle the wagons on this one. Not that I'm surprised. They have each others backs and I'm sure there will be some knife (pencil) sharpening over drinks at the pub tonight.

And as to the Bills "needing to say something" about Mario, how many times does Marrone have to say he's still being evaluated and he's awaiting more information? As many times as it takes or just until the media gets an answer they like?

GO BILLS!!!

i just watched this.

Marrone owes no apology to that abuse even though he didgive a bit , in his way.

i found the reporter in question to have stepped well over the line over an issue that should not be pursued that hard. And when he questioned whether Coach knew what was going on with HIS team (not so subtle i think ) he had ruffled feathers.

Well done D Marrone. Very well done indeed.

Thats a breath of fresh air for me.

I am now on board. if i was not before , i am locked and loaded.

Go Bills.

The ship has righted itself. Now repair the sails and in short order we should make headway .

I like this guy and i am more pleased each day we hired him.

yes the proof is yet to arrive but jeebus ,the resounding consistent attitude is pervasive

Payton's letterhead says "SB Winning HC"...

Didnt when he started, or when marrone was with him and he handled the media the same.

K-9 mentioned parcells, a SP mentor and I'm sure marrones taken many a lesson from that style of media relations

Edited by NoSaint

I think that the reporters are 100% in the right. They are being jerked around and they don't like it. I find it completely implausible that the head coach has had no contact from anybody for three days concerning a possible injury to his highest paid and highest profile player. I'm sure that they DO know something about the injury but simply don't want to share it with the media yet. They should just say that and give their reasons instead of insulting everyone's intelligence by claiming ignorance. As a matter of fact, they are just making themselves look even more incompetent as an organization by feigning ignorance.

Possibly the local press still have their panties in a wad since Brandon's state of the franchise pep talk on new years eve that included NO press.

Oh, it's been going on for nearly as long as I remember, and I'm almost 30. The Sabres stories are also more often than not broken by TSN and other national media outlets.

SInce WGR became the official Bills station recently, they've seemingly given Joe B some access. WGRZ has seemingly lost theirs with the departure of Ed Kilgore.

I am by no means advocating that the media refrain from asking tough questions, but maintaing a chronically hostile and hypercritical attitude toward the big league franchises results in a loss of access and a contentious relationship.

If true that he will employ the parcells model atleast loosely - get used to it. Expect hiding simple injuries for no apparent reason, shortness and a pretty solid barrier most of the time. The quiet nature of OBD this offseason coupled with the early camp pressers lead me to believe the local media is going to be a bit put off by the nature of the new regime. Likely some fans as well, as many expect to know everything.

Well, I think that they have clearly said that he is still being evaluated and they are waiting for the Doctor's report. Did you not hear that in the interview?

but have you talked to the doctors? is it an achilles? how long have you known about this? Is Mario coming out Did you speak to the doctors yet ?

oh and are you sure you are ready for the NFL HC position.

Hows his foot , have you talked to him? Why not you are the HC aren't you?

That what i got from the biting flea . Suprised Doug didnt pullout his chew and his shotgun.

And simply say

little fella , how about you speak up one more time.

spits and wipes his chin

I think that the reporters are 100% in the right. They are being jerked around and they don't like it. I find it completely implausible that the head coach has had no contact from anybody for three days concerning a possible injury to his highest paid and highest profile player. I'm sure that they DO know something about the injury but simply don't want to share it with the media yet. They should just say that and give their reasons instead of insulting everyone's intelligence by claiming ignorance. As a matter of fact, they are just making themselves look even more incompetent as an organization by feigning ignorance.

and how well would that go over with these guys?

We'll have none of that logic here.

If true that he will employ the parcells model atleast loosely - get used to it. Expect hiding simple injuries for no apparent reason, shortness and a pretty solid barrier most of the time. The quiet nature of OBD this offseason coupled with the early camp pressers lead me to believe the local media is going to be a bit put off by the nature of the new regime. Likely some fans as well, as many expect to know everything.

I get this and have seen the veiled nature of this staff right from the first press conference. What I don't like is the lying. If they don't want to disclose the injury yet then just say that they are following the situation closely, are up to speed but don't want to disclose anything to the press yet because they want to be sure first or because they want to have a plan to deal with it in place or simply because it's none of their business. Whatever. Just don't say that they have no idea about the injury.

and how well would that go over with these guys?

Not well, but maybe they should grow some testicles and tell the truth like real "straight shooters" and deal with the blowback instead of lying. How's the lying working in assuaging the press?

Edited by vincec

I thought it was a great interview and am proud of Marrone to do what he did. Let him be a lying jerk to the media. More power to him. Just win some damn games if you're gonna go that route.

I'm not a fan if the media anymore. Marrone obviously didn't want to answer the question and its his right not to answer. So leave him the hell alone and ask about another topic. Don't ask him the same question a 5th time and then get pissy cause the coach put your arrogant ass in its proper place.

I get this and have seen the veiled nature of this staff right from the first press conference. What I don't like is the lying. If they don't want to disclose the injury yet then just say that they are following the situation closely, are up to speed but don't want to disclose anything to the press yet because they want to be sure first or because they want to have a plan to deal with it in place or simply because it's none of their business. Just don't say that they have no idea about the injury.

Not well, but maybe they should grow some testicles and tell the truth like real "straight shooters" and deal with the blowback instead of lying. How's the lying working in assuaging the press?

I have absolutely no problem calling somebody a liar if he or she has earned it. What I do not understand is this willingness to not just question Marrone's integrity, but to call him an outright liar with no evidentiary basis - just soley on what you think or believe he knows. Maybe I am just old school; however, I think integrity is one of those qualities that truly defines the character of a person. I'm not going to question it unless I have good reason to.

I get this and have seen the veiled nature of this staff right from the first press conference. What I don't like is the lying. If they don't want to disclose the injury yet then just say that they are following the situation closely, are up to speed but don't want to disclose anything to the press yet because they want to be sure first or because they want to have a plan to deal with it in place or simply because it's none of their business. Whatever. Just don't say that they have no idea about the injury.

Hasn't really spoiled their day and set a tone not to expect much from them so.... All in all not a big loss for marrone is it? In fact, likely exactly what he expected and he couldn't care less if I had to guess

I have absolutely no problem calling somebody a liar if he or she has earned it. What I do not understand is this willingness to not just question Marrone's integrity, but to call him an outright liar with no evidentiary basis - just soley on what you think or believe he knows. Maybe I am just old school; however, I think integrity is one of those qualities that truly defines the character of a person. I'm not going to question it unless I have good reason to.

Odds are he wasnt being honest but when did "honest with the press" become a good quality for a coach?

Buffalo Sports Franchise: Any Questions?

Buffalo Media: Yes, I have one question

Buffalo Sports Franchise: Ask away

---question asked and answered---

Buffalo Sports Franchise: Any more questions?

Buffalo Media: Yes, I have one question

Buffalo Sports Franchise: Is it the SAME question?

Buffalo Media: Yes, I told you I only have one!

Buffalo Sports Franchise: :wallbash:

that was darned funny good J

Again, as with Payton, if you are going to co-opt someone else's shtick (which was genuine with those guys--they're actual a-holes), you do so at your own peril when you are a complete unknown/nonentity in your new town at your first HC job.

As others have pointed out, a much less intelligent man than Marrone could have anticipated that this (and not the battle for RT or the second CB spot) would be the main topic of the media's interest. He therefore should have outlined briefly everything he knew or could think about Mario's foot before any questions were asked. He should have controlled the discussion.

He didn't do this. Instead, he allowed himself to get flustered at the ankle biters in the room. Why ever give the press the impression you don't know everything that's going on with your team? It may have been fun to see him lash out, but he let them get under his skin way to easily. Parcells and Payton would never have allowed it to go like this.n

Simple and plain: The team needs to say something about Mario. He's still getting evaluated, we're getting a second opinion. He's coming back after a few days rest. We're putting him on PUP. Whatever. They need to say something. You can't put your coach out there like this day after day without some form of information. What do you expect from the media? It's their job to ask these questions...over and over and over again until they get some nugget, an answer or get this reaction.

From what I've seen, he was the same way with the media at Syracuse. I appreciate him putting reporters in their place, but I also don't want a coach that is known for his temper with the media, rather than his coaching prowess. Say what you will about Chan, but he was a forthcoming "straight shooter" that rarely lost his cool with the media.

I agree with your take....the team needs to keep the media updated on Mario. Not Marrone, the team.

Mario Williams is a very important marketing tool for the franchise. He is one of the most physically imposing players in the league, he was the top pick in the draft....he brings star power to a team that otherwise has very little of it......if they are going to use that star power to market to the fans then they need to understand when those fans want to know what is going on. Personally I don't give a sh*t but I am not their core audience. I don't come to camp to watch them run around in their shorts and drop piles of money on official merchandise with goofy-ass collars on it etc... but those are the people who are freaked out about their superstar being hurt and those are the people they are marketing too. It's that simple. If you want your customers to think your product is that important then keep up the monkeyshine every day. Just another one of the annoying features of the organization.....the inconsistent message.

Marrone should be, and probably IS, focusing on getting the players he has in camp playing good football and not be worrying about any of the guys who are not there. Instead, the Bills let him have to deal with it. That is ridiculous. In the act of getting that many players ready to play it's entirely possible that he isn't checking up on how the gimps are doing that day.

Perhaps the media (rather than Marrone) should get a thick skin. I read the Buffalo News characterization of this and they used terms like Marrone "shot at him" etc. Before I heard the audio and saw the video, I thought that I was going to hear a shouting match. Instead, I heard Marrone merely being frustrated having to hear the same questions when he does not have the answers yet.

The Buffalo News is truly a useless publication when it comes to sports. Their reporters do not do heir job simply trying to manufacture controversy when they can. The whole lot of them suck, including Timmy.

Perhaps the media (rather than Marrone) should get a thick skin. I read the Buffalo News characterization of this and they used terms like Marrone "shot at him" etc. Before I heard the audio and saw the video, I thought that I was going to hear a shouting match. Instead, I heard Marrone merely being frustrated having to hear the same questions when he does not have the answers yet.

The Buffalo News is truly a useless publication when it comes to sports. Their reporters do not do heir job simply trying to manufacture controversy when they can. The whole lot of them suck, including Timmy.

"NFL players are entitled to a second medical opinion if they inform the team in advance.

So what was the big deal? The Bills simply could have told reporters "Mario is getting a second opinion on his foot, and until the result from that examination comes back we're going to refrain from any comment about the injury."

HERE IS THE BIG DEAL: the next question is going to be "does Mario have faith in the Bills Medical Staff "

ANSWER : NO !!

"NFL players are entitled to a second medical opinion if they inform the team in advance.

HERE IS THE BIG DEAL: the next question is going to be "does Mario have faith in the Bills Medical Staff "

ANSWER : NO !!

On a real note, there was debate over how the wrist was handled last year. Is this similar, or just stalling a bit before getting into camp to limit workload on a vet... Don't know.

Edited by NoSaint

On a real note, there was debate over how the wrist was handled last year. Is this similar, or just stalling a bit before getting into camp to limit workload on a vet... Don't know.

I think it is stalling. Timing is just too odd. I think the wrist thing was just an excuse for his poor play st the begining of the year

Hasn't really spoiled their day and set a tone not to expect much from them so.... All in all not a big loss for marrone is it? In fact, likely exactly what he expected and he couldn't care less if I had to guess

I think that they will regret developing an antagonistic relationship with the press. It won't make their job any easier. Of course if they win then it won't matter.

90+ guys in camp..they're all important. Ask once and move on.

Going to turn into hockey.

"What's wrong with Mario?"

"Lower Body"

"How long is he out?"

"Day to Day"

That's all you ever get if even that much. My opinion, coach did not jerk the media around. Blown way out of proportion by some members of the media. I think the media was just looking for something to test the new guy out and see how it's going to go. It was quite tame compared to Polian vs the Media in 1989. Nobody yelled. Apologies were given by both guys and that was that until some guys hit twitter and it blew up. Twitter is evil.

Equally important?

EJ, Fred, MD, Kiko, Manny, Branch, Gilmore, Woods, A. Williams, shoot even Cordy Glenn are as important as Mario....but yes, point well taken, they are all equally important.

Edited by BringBackFergy