Did we just piss of the media by duping them so badly?

Virgil

I could be overthinking this, but I look at how much info was out there from every sports outlet about how we were going to take Nassib or Barkley, whichever was available after we tried to trade down. I mean, these guys were talking like it was a done deal.

Then, when we took Manuel, it looked like more than shock. I looked like anger. McShay looked the most pissed like we just absolutely set him up.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bills played this brilliantly. But I just can't remember seeing such backlash.

Yes. Had we let it slip out that Manuel would be our pick in Rd1 all of the 'experts' would have listed him as their #1 QB and would have mocked him to us. They all would have gushed about what a great pick it was.

Since all of these morons were so wrong and were made to look stupid, they will criticize the pick endlessly.

we took a guy many had rated as the 3rd or 4th (or lower) qb as the first qb off the board. i dont think it was anything more than (in most cases) fair discussion.... we got our guy, we can be happy but if our evaluations were that different its fair for others to question it.

I could be overthinking this, but I look at how much info was out there from every sports outlet about how we were going to take Nassib or Barkley, whichever was available after we tried to trade down. I mean, these guys were talking like it was a done deal.

Then, when we took Manuel, it looked like more than shock. I looked like anger. McShay looked the most pissed like we just absolutely set him up.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bills played this brilliantly. But I just can't remember seeing such backlash.

I still believe that it's in part due to sheer laziness on the national media's part. There seemed to be some rumblings from the local guys that Barkley and Manuel could be in play but I think most of the national guys just assumed that Marrone would take his QB. When I saw Kiper on ESPN on like Monday saying that Ryan Nassib was the most overvalued guy in the draft because he assumed that we would take him at #8 I wondered how much homework these guys were really doing.

Oh I love the pick and the attention we are getting today. And I also believe that these guys are wrong 90% of the time. It's just the conviction that they spoke with before the draft about Nassib, Barkley, or how Austin was at the top of our board.

I think we told them stuff, making them believe it was in confidence to make them look better for their job, and then absolutely crushed them

When the so-called "draftniks" like McShay and Mortenson don't like something, I tend to think the opposite.

Few of these "experts" have ever held a position of accountability and they get irrationally upset when teams crap all over their "boards."

Here's a sampling of what the "experts" said a few years ago about a certain QB ..."JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Todd McShay "I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

These dudes have little credibility.

It's funny, many of the talking heads listed Manuel as a 1st rounder, and even entertained the possibility that he'd be the first QB off the board. Then when the draft begins, it's like they revert to the boilerplate magazine rankings and act "shocked" when the draft doesn't follow said rankings. Again, I was pushing for Barkley, but with the trade and grabbing my 2nd rated QB, I'm reasonably pleased.

Edited by NickelCity

Dude, the Bills always make the right decisions. It doesn't matter if everyone on the planet who's not blinded by there fandom thinks this pick was an enormous reach, THE BILLS GOT IT RIGHT! :lol:

No one in the media is pissed. They just can't believe how incredibly dumb the Bills FO is year after year.

I don't think it surprised many of them. Earlier in the day Thursday McShay even brought up the fact that the Bills were considering Manuel at eight. I think they seem pissed to you because they clearly don't think he's the top quarterback prospect. They're a bit dumbfounded, it seems.

the "experts" looked like "rookies" yesterday...

it is their job to analyze, inform, and predict to sports fans exactly where players will land.

when they get it right, the gain credibility. when they get it wrong, they look like morons.

who controls were players land? the teams. not the "experts". fact is, no matter how you break it down, EJ Manuel is the #1 QB from this years class. why? because he was picked #1, and was even the only QB taken in round one. any "expert" who has him ranked anywhere else but #1, is no expert.

I'm so glad someone started this thread.. because I couldnt possibly agree anymore... They all make their mock drafts based on every team having 0 players.

We as fans only have their mocks to really go on for "value" and you can just see it in their faces when things don't to according to plan.. ya know their "not hired by an nfl franchise to scout" plan

I'm sure you all remember the rumor that one team gave Nassib an UDFA grade... awesome, that team was probably the Colts who don't need a QB.

I agree with most of you. CBS' Prisco gave us an F for the first round, McShay said it was a wasted pick. Still others said we certainly did our homework, travelling around the country visiting the QB's and also bringing them into Buffalo too.

It's really amusing. I have always felt that if a team departs too far from what the mocksters project, you get their ire.

I'm really intrigued by Manuel. 66% completion rate! Over 70% when he leaves the pocket! That's much better than Fitz who failed to get it there half the time. Some say they question his accuracy (vs 66-70%?). Some say he fails to go through all his progressions - goes from 1 to 2 to dump-off underneath. I think that it may be a question of protection and even if true, if you hit on 66-70% of your passes, you ARE MOVING DOWN THE FIELD.

He'll definitely need more coaching, but isn't that why they brought in Kolb and kept Jackson? Bills are getting far too little credit here. I actually like how they've solidified the QB position when there wasn't much available this year. Don't forget, they also picked up the 46th pick (and a 7th rounder). So from the 8th overall pick, we get the 16th, 46th and 222nd picks - nice job by Nix & Co. Heck, even Jerry Sullivan gave them credit for this.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Dude, the Bills always make the right decisions. It doesn't matter if everyone on the planet who's not blinded by there fandom thinks this pick was an enormous reach, THE BILLS GOT IT RIGHT! :lol:

No one in the media is pissed. They just can't believe how incredibly dumb the Bills FO is year after year.

Who did you want them to take? Stop being so butthurt.

I agree with most of you. CBS' Prisco gave us an F for the first round, McShay said it was a wasted pick. Still others said we certainly did our homework, travelling around the country visiting the QB's and also bringing them into Buffalo too.

It's really amusing. I have always felt that if a team departs too far from what the mocksters project, you get their ire.

I'm really intrigued by Manuel. 66% completion rate! Over 70% when he leaves the pocket! That's much better than Fitz who failed to get it there half the time. Some say they question his accuracy (vs 66-70%?). Some say he fails to go through all his progressions - goes from 1 to 2 to dump-off underneath. I think that it may be a question of protection and even if true, if you hit on 66-70% of your passes, you ARE MOVING DOWN THE FIELD.

He'll definitely need more coaching, but isn't that why they brought in Kolb and kept Jackson? Bills are getting far too little gredit here. I actually like how they've solidified the QB position when there wasn't much available this year. Don't forget, they also picked up the 46th pick (and a 7th rounder). So from the 8th overall pick, we get the 16th, 46th and 222nd picks - nice job by Nix & Co. Heck, even Jerry Sullivan gave them credit for this.

Correction! He gave the Bills an F- every year I have another reason to dislike Pete the Putz Prisco

it is their job to analyze, inform, and predict to sports fans exactly where players will land.

when they get it right, the gain credibility. when they get it wrong, they look like morons.

And don't forget - if they look like a moron too often, they could find themselves out of that job. Their mockery is all about self-preservation.

Soooo tired of the cry babies! Nix has said what his plan was from the get go. As far as personnel, he's stuck to the plan - that's smart management. Yeah, I know, Gailey didn't work out - because he hitched his wagon to Fitz and if you want to fire Nix for that, I guarantee you the Bills will continue to lose. Slow and steady wins the race, Nix is building something and will walk into the sunset soon (much to your delight I am sure). Then Whaley takes over - an organized transition - smart management!

Here's a sampling of what the "experts" said a few years ago about a certain QB ..."JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Todd McShay "I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

These dudes have little credibility.

Little did they know that he was a drug addict. Sad waste of talent.

Who did you want them to take? Stop being so butthurt.

Butthurt? Are you ten? Taking EJ in the 2nd/3rd rd is one thing but taking him almost 20 spots ahead over any other QB is what the Buffalo Bills do....make terrible decisions that make everybody go, "Really"

Who did I want them to take? Jarvis Jones who dominated SEC fronts. I loved Eifert. ND would've lost 5 games without him this year. DeAndre Hopkins will be a perennial Pro Bowler for the Texans.

I'm sure there is more that we could've traded back and got but that's what the Bills do. They make everyone say "WTF?"

Butthurt? Are you ten? Taking EJ in the 2nd/3rd rd is one thing but taking him almost 20 spots ahead over any other QB is what the Buffalo Bills do....make terrible decisions that make everybody go, "Really"

Who did I want them to take? Jarvis Jones who dominated SEC fronts. I loved Eifert. ND would've lost 5 games without him this year. DeAndre Hopkins will be a perennial Pro Bowler for the Texans.

I'm sure there is more that we could've traded back and got but that's what the Bills do. They make everyone say "WTF?"

The only draft boards that matter are the ones for the actual teams.. you have absolutely no idea where Manuel would end up if the Bills didn't take him where they did. The Eagles, Browns, Cards, Jets all would have been able to pick him ahead of the Bills in RD2...

He was their highest rated QB so why risk not getting him, you never know what other teams are going to do to move ahead of you and pick players they want.

I think you are senile. The is not what the Bills would have done in the past.

Buddy said months ago - if you see a QB you like, you better go get him a round before you'd actually like to draft him. 8th was too early and by trading with the Rams we get a 2nd 2nd-rounder and a 7th too. Three players for one including a potential starter, a potential Franchise QB and added depth. Nice job Buddy.

Look, there's no guarantees here, that's why I'm a proponent for drafting a QB with your 1st pick every year until you get it right - because without a bona-fide QB (in the NFL), you got nothin'.

Yes. Had we let it slip out that Manuel would be our pick in Rd1 all of the 'experts' would have listed him as their #1 QB and would have mocked him to us. They all would have gushed about what a great pick it was.

Since all of these morons were so wrong and were made to look stupid, they will criticize the pick endlessly.

And that, folks, is the prefect job description of an "NFL Analyst". They make their guesses, and since the companies they work for are all now 24/7-type news agencies, they have to assert and re-assert their opinions over and over until they think they are fact. Some even get extra tricky and do different versions of mock drafts just so they can CYA.

Then when the draft actually happens and we get some reality, instead of just saying "Well, I was just guessing, the draft is crazy!", they cry like babies, badmouth players and GMs, and even have the gall to "grade" the draft for each team. What some people fail to realize is that the grading scale is based against their guesses, not against how well the players actually are/will be.

It's like me standing on the sidewalk and telling a bunch of people "The next car that drives by will be GREEN!" And then when a Red car drives by instead I say, "I give that car an F on it's paint job. Stupid owner got it wrong."

I love that we USED the media to get our guy. I love that through the entire PC last night, Marrone had a palpable hatred for the media. The Bills cant win in the eyes of the media (and some fans) so why worry about it. Use them to get what you want. Well played.

Edited by DrDareustein

The only draft boards that matter are the ones for the actual teams.. you have absolutely no idea where Manuel would end up if the Bills didn't take him where they did. The Eagles, Browns, Cards, Jets all would have been able to pick him ahead of the Bills in RD2...

He was their highest rated QB so why risk not getting him, you never know what other teams are going to do to move ahead of you and pick players they want.

I think you are senile. The is not what the Bills would have done in the past.

. . . and if we had drafted someone else at 8, we wouldn't have had enough picks to move ahead of the other QB-interested-teams in Round Two. We would have had too few picks this year and maybe the same problem next year.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Buddy said months ago - if you see a QB you like, you better go get him a round before you'd actually like to draft him. 8th was too early and by trading with the Rams we get a 2nd 2nd-rounder and a 7th too. Three players for one including a potential starter, a potential Franchise QB and added depth. Nice job Buddy.

Look, there's no guarantees here, that's why I'm a proponent for drafting a QB with your 1st pick every year until you get it right - because without a bona-fide QB (in the NFL), you got nothin'.

It was a nice surprise that we traded back and added some picks and still got the QB they wanted.

very well done Bills !

who controls were players land? the teams. not the "experts". fact is, no matter how you break it down, EJ Manuel is the #1 QB from this years class. why? because he was picked #1, and was even the only QB taken in round one. any "expert" who has him ranked anywhere else but #1, is no expert.

I'd agree with that assessment. Any dishing on the pick you saw was because it went against the 'expert advice' these guys try to sell the public for the past few months. When 'experts' get it wrong, they loose the only thing they have to hang their hat on--credibility.

McShay would likely be selling insurance if he couldn't make people believe he had some innate knowledge on the draft that's superior to what any of us have...

P.S. Bucky Gleason's a douche. If you can access the video of he and Milt Northrop on the Snooze website last night, you can see why the era of Larry Felser and Jim Kelley will never come this way again:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/04/video-news-sports-reporters-react-to-bills-picking-ej-manuel.html

It was a nice surprise that we traded back and added some picks and still got the QB they wanted.

very well done Bills !

I know it seems stupid and like Im gushing like a homer, but regardless of team, fanhood, and draft class, that is really the ultimate situation any team could hope for: Trade down, gain picks, and still have your pick of the litter of QBs. It couldnt have worked out better.

Edited by DrDareustein

Somebody in the NFL must have thought EJ was a first rounder or he wouldn't have been in attendance at the draft. Did the "experts' find that odd?

I meant to mention that too. Why is it that Nassib wasn't there but Manuel was?

People believe what they want to believe and it's all about saving face in my humble opinion

Somebody in the NFL must have thought EJ was a first rounder or he wouldn't have been in attendance at the draft. Did the "experts' find that odd?

Funny Mike, that has been my Exact thought since this morning when i read all the criticism.

I don't think it surprised many of them. Earlier in the day Thursday McShay even brought up the fact that the Bills were considering Manuel at eight. I think they seem pissed to you because they clearly don't think he's the top quarterback prospect. They're a bit dumbfounded, it seems.

The guys though Marcus Russel would be a top 5 QB in the league are dumbfounded? OH NO!

WHO HAS THE PANIC PITCHFORKS?!