Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I'm more referring to the first video posted. He does have some "happy feet" but he is continually pumping the ball at his stomach which is what made me think of it.

He looked good in the second video. I'd have to say there were a good amount of passes in both that should have been caught but the receivers didn't come up with it. He does have some good zip on the ball. I feel like he looks more of a pure pocket passer. Throws outside of the pocket or on the runner were off most of the time.

I'm not against him, just as long as it's not in the first round. I would prefer if he was available later in the 2nd round to move up to get him if necessary otherwise take him with the 3rd/4th round pick.

I think it's going to take at least a 2nd round pick to get him.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Analysis

Nassib has good-enough arm strength to make throws at all levels of the field with the mechanics and beautiful ball fakes that scouts love to see. Nassib tends to make poor reads under pressure and force throws, but is a smart player and does a nice job using his eyes to hold defenders and work through his progressions. He isn't a statue in the pocket and is very accurate throwing on the run, flashing impressive toughness for the position. Nassib is a gamer with a live arm and the potential to rise up draft boards with a consistent senior year, ranking as one of the more underrated players for the 2013 NFL Draft.

--Dane Brugler

posted by McD http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630528/ryan-nassib good find!

I'm more referring to the first video posted. He does have some "happy feet" but he is continually pumping the ball at his stomach which is what made me think of it.

He looked good in the second video. I'd have to say there were a good amount of passes in both that should have been caught but the receivers didn't come up with it. He does have some good zip on the ball. I feel like he looks more of a pure pocket passer. Throws outside of the pocket or on the runner were off most of the time.

I'm not against him, just as long as it's not in the first round. I would prefer if he was available later in the 2nd round to move up to get him if necessary otherwise take him with the 3rd/4th round pick.

The progression of Nassib was something to see this year. He really hit his stride around the missouri/ louisville games and I think that explains the improvement you saw from the first clip to the second.

As for the draft I think if the Bills pass on him in the 2nd he won't be there in the 3rd. I know it's early to say that but just my feeling on it as things stand now.

I think it's going to take at least a 2nd round pick to get him.

That's what I'm beginning to think as well. Too many teams need QBs and he appears to have legitimate tools with which to work. This is where I'd love to get inside Marrone's head and know what he is thinking (and what he has shared with Nix/Whaley/Brandon).

The only similarity I can see in Nassib and Jim Kelly is their physical size. As far as passing goes, their throwing motions couldn't be more different. As for being a quarterback, I can't even go there.

GO BILLS!!!

Cant say I am a deft evaluator of college talent or anything, but the QB I saw in that posted video did not look good. Poor pocket awareness, little accuracy downfiled, and poor decisions. Maybe a bad day, but the footwork is bothersome. Perhaps he can be taught and is a diamond in the rough. I could not really say.

The only similarity I can see in Nassib and Jim Kelly is their physical size. As far as passing goes, their throwing motions couldn't be more different. As for being a quarterback, I can't even go there.

GO BILLS!!!

Nassib uses same hip motion and lower body to add velocity just like JK

For some reason, his footwork kinda reminds me of Peyton Mannings footwork, always moving, allowing him to plant and throw whenever he needs to. However, that doesn't mean I think he's going to be Manning. In fact, it makes him look kinda skittish in the pocket. And he needs to get rid of that jump throw he occasionally does.

Other than that, I saw a good delivery and armstrength, but not that great accuracy. Even open throws and completions weren't really right on the money.

After working with Drew Brees for a few years, and being in the NFL for 10+ seasons, IF Marrone decides to bet his chance at being a successful NFL coach on Ryan Nassib, it's easy to imagine that Nassib has the talent to play the position very well in the NFL. That is NOT to say it's automatic that he will be good or that Marrone can't make a huge mistake. He surely can. What's hard to imagine is Marrone sticking his neck out for a kid that he LOVES just because he loves him and not because he has the talents and brains and decision making abilities to be a star and franchise QB.

A lot of times, however, all of these NFL head coaches have the big ego to believe that they can mold these guys into stars. Marrone very likely believes that Nassib can develop into an NFL franchise QB because he has developed and improved so much over time.

The problem, obviously, is that Nassib may not be good enough (or good enough as a bet because they are all bets not sure things) to be taken at #8. And a trade down would suggest to other teams that The Bills are targeting Nassib and another team who loves him as a prospect could then take him or jump in front of us to take him late in first or early in second. The point is, that he Bills better have a Plan B and Plan C even if Marrone wants Nassib bad.

If Marrone REALLY believes in Nassib, you take him #8 even if that is believed to be way too high. You're betting on Marrone's ability to see and mold and best use talent, and so you have to trust him at this early point, to make the right choice.

I just want to clarify. I am simply speculating Nassib as the franchise quarterback based on the fact that Marrone was his college coach. After looking at quarterbacks, Nassib doesn’t jump out and scream future star to me. However, compared to the current draft class, he does seem to be on par or better in several categories. But who am I to speculate? I thought Andrew Luck was going to be a bust and I never saw Russel Wilson coming.

Pro's

1. He leads his receivers and doesn’t get them killed.

2. He stands in the pocket (or jumps and looks awkward) but at least he is a pocket passer.

3. This kid puts velocity on the ball.

I think half of all the dropped passes I have seen are for this reason. His receivers simply can't pull them in.

4. He is very accurate when throwing up to approximately 25 yards.

5. He beat out Geno Smith

Con's

1. Is it me or does he just seem to look goofy when he starts feeling pressure in the pocket?

2. Haven't seen to many deep balls thrown.

3. His performance against West Virginia was lacking.

4. Lacks the touch pass, fades etc...

Things I wonder about.

1. His throwing motion

2. I wonder about his leadership. I am not saying its not there I just don't know.

3. His conference seems very weak.

Edited by ThrowingFitz

I just want to clarify. I am simply speculating Nassib as the franchise quarterback based on the fact that Marrone was his college coach. After looking at quarterbacks, Nassib doesn’t jump out and scream future star to me. However, compared to the current draft class, he does seem to be on par or better in several categories. But who am I to speculate? I thought Andrew Luck was going to be a bust and I never saw Russel Wilson coming.

Pro's

1. He leads his receivers and doesn’t get them killed.

2. He stands in the pocket (or jumps and looks awkward) but at least he is a pocket passer.

3. This kid puts velocity on the ball.

I think half of all the dropped passes I have seen are for this reason. His receivers simply can't pull them in.

4. He is very accurate when throwing up to approximately 25 yards.

5. He beat out Geno Smith

Con's

1. Is it me or does he just seem to look goofy when he starts feeling pressure in the pocket?

2. Haven't seen to many deep balls thrown.

3. His performance against West Virginia was lacking.

4. Lacks the touch pass, fades etc...

Things I wonder about.

1. His throwing motion

2. I wonder about his leadership. I am not saying its not there I just don't know.

3. His conference seems very weak.

Yikes, me thinks reevaluations are in order.

For some reason, his footwork kinda reminds me of Peyton Mannings footwork, always moving, allowing him to plant and throw whenever he needs to. However, that doesn't mean I think he's going to be Manning. In fact, it makes him look kinda skittish in the pocket. And he needs to get rid of that jump throw he occasionally does.

Other than that, I saw a good delivery and armstrength, but not that great accuracy. Even open throws and completions weren't really right on the money.

Flutie thrived on that jump throw.

This guy looks like he has enough talent that he could potentially develop into a solid NFL starter, but it looks like he will take some time. If he's the guy, I suspect Fitz will be the starter next year. If we're going that route I'd rather take a page out of the Barbarian's playbook and draft Tyler Bray to sit for a year. Both are projects and Bray's a much better thrower.

I'm skeptical of any QB named Ryan at this point.

Except Tannehill :D

Maybe that's why Marrone blinks too much.

GO BILLS!!!

:lol:

This guy looks like he has enough talent that he could potentially develop into a solid NFL starter, but it looks like he will take some time. If he's the guy, I suspect Fitz will be the starter next year. If we're going that route I'd rather take a page out of the Barbarian's playbook and draft Tyler Bray to sit for a year. Both are projects and Bray's a much better thrower.

:worthy:

i wasnt very familiar with Nassib, but started watching some video. if he is there in the 4th or later go for it. he seems like a kid with a good arm, can move if he has to, and not afraid of anybody. on a negative note, i saw a kid who has poor pocket presence and is a first read qb. his accuracy may be ok, he does do a lot of throwing on the run. he hits some receivers perfectly but also sets them up to get killed sometimes.

the real star on that roster is that wr lemon

didnt even watch the vid but yeah you gotta figure they are going after him. i seriously doubt they would use the eighth for him but in the second or on a trade down to the end of the first looks like a virtual certainty if they can swing it

didnt even watch the vid but yeah you gotta figure they are going after him. i seriously doubt they would use the eighth for him but in the second or on a trade down to the end of the first looks like a virtual certainty if they can swing it

Skip to 4:40, basically states if he were in the NFL he would definitely be taking Nassib if they needed a QB.

Says nothing about us drafting him in rounds 1 or 2. Just because we got the Syracuse coach doesn't mean we'll be drafting Syracuse guys.

Basically says he's tough, loves the cold, blah blah blah. Don't see the connection. We'll be drafting him because he likes the cold?

Edited by FleaMoulds80

I highly doubt that a 33 year old first time NFL Offensive Coordinator is going to dictate the most crucial annual--- and perhaps franchise altering--- decision for a billion dollar corporation.

It's definitely a possibility, but if the Bills select Nassib, it's going to be a decision made by consensus: Marrone, Nix, Whaley and perhaps Brandon all have more weight than Hackett.

Edited by Punch

Says nothing about us drafting him in rounds 1 or 2. Just because we got the Syracuse coach doesn't mean we'll be drafting Syracuse guys.

Basically says he's tough, loves the cold, blah blah blah. Don't see the connection. We'll be drafting him because he likes the cold?

You clearly didn't watch the video, he basically said "If I was in the NFL, I would take him". Well he is now in the NFL and best friends with our new head coach....Connect the dots people! I think we take BPA at our 8th spot and either grab Tassib in second round or trade up in late first to get him if they are worried. He will be a Bill next year, isn't this so exciting guys! The Bills are transplanting a sub-pay Syracuse team to the pros to run the Bills!! STATUS QUO!

Edited by Awwufelloff

You clearly didn't watch the video, he basically said "If I was in the NFL, I would take him". Well he is now in the NFL and best friends with our new head coach....Connect the dots people! I think we take BPA at our 8th spot and either grab Tassib in second round or trade up in late first to get him if they are worried. He will be a Bill next year, isn't this so exciting guys! The Bills are transplanting a sub-pay Syracuse team to the pros to run the Bills!! STATUS QUO!

That still means NOTHING. He's not our GM. OC has no say in this process. He said this to say that he really likes Nassib. That's it. This was said before Marrone was ever our HC and before he even interviewed for the Bills. This means nothing. Maybe we will go after him. Maybe not, but nowhere in this video indicates that he's our QB for sure.

1. Since when does a neophyte offensive coordinator make carte blanche draft day decisions?
  2. How in the world is this "status quo? It's as far out of left field as the Bills have ever come.

Utterly ridiculous.

1. Since when does a neophyte offensive coordinator make carte blanche draft day decisions?

2. How in the world is this "status quo? It's as far out of left field as the Bills have ever come.

Utterly ridiculous.

Yeah Utterly ridiculous...How so?

The Bills already stated they will be drafting a QB in this draft to replace Fitz. You really do not think they will be taking Nassib after grabbing Syracuse HC and OC? Not to mention he is one of the top 5 QBs listed in most mocks going in the 2nd round mainly.

We just hired a coach and offensive coordinator from a sub par college program that went 25-25. Maybe not status quo, but they did not make the splash to take a proven winner in the NFL in Lovie (who also wanted to come here). I personally see no improvement in this team and it saddens me.

Great. Another regime eager to corrupt their purpose with misplaced sentiment, and "You scatch my back" politics. If this goes down the way they're saying, We'll be firing these guys in another three years.

Having red hair, does not make this kid Andy Dalton.

Ryan Nassib is one of the WORST pro prospects I've ever seen. He will be positively AWFUL as a pro.

I'd rather we didn't, but if we touch this scrub at all, it should not be before the 6th round.

RYAN NASSIB IS GARBAGE!!!!!

Yeah Utterly ridiculous...How so?

The Bills already stated they will be drafting a QB in this draft to replace Fitz. You really do not think they will be taking Nassib after grabbing Syracuse HC and OC? Not to mention he is one of the top 5 QBs listed in most mocks going in the 2nd round mainly.

We just hired a coach and offensive coordinator from a sub par college program that went 25-25. Maybe not status quo, but they did not make the splash to take a proven winner in the NFL in Lovie (who also wanted to come here). I personally see no improvement in this team and it saddens me.

This again means nothing. The HC will never persuade the team's front office and entire organization to draft this guy because "I coached him in college." If he blows everyone out of the water at the combine, pro days, then this may hold water. We won't be drafting him just because we got his college coach and OC. That's just ridiculous if you ask me.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

I don't think it's ridiculous that the Bills might select Nassib--- I think it's ridiculous to infer that Hackett will dictate it.

They may like Nassib quite a bit, but if it's so obvious to you, then it's obvious to every NFL team.

Any other team interested in Nassib is going to be on notice that they need to grab him before the Bills do. If the Bills are so locked in to Nassib that they hired Hackett to be the OC, and there's a possibility that Nassib will be drafted elsewhere, then the whole franchise is, indeed, !@#$ed.

That's the ridiculous part. They may be interested in him, but there are ulterior plans in the event certain players are selected. The whole draft plan then gets shifted. It's ridiculous to think everything is so set in stone in regards to the draft.

Edited by Punch

This again means nothing. The HC will never persuade the team's front office and entire organization to draft this guy because "I coached him in college." If he blows everyone out of the water at the combine, pro days, then this may hold water. We won't be drafting him just because we got his college coach and OC. That's just ridiculous if you ask me.

Thanks for reassuring me, I hope you are right. Not that I hate Nassib I am just disappointed in the hirings for our coaches in particular our OC.

I don't think it's ridiculous that the Bills might select Nassib--- I think it's ridiculous to infer that Hackett will dictate it.

They may like Nassib quite a bit, but if it's so obvious to you, then it's obvious to every NFL team.

Any other team interested in Nassib is going to be on notice that they need to grab him before the Bills do. If the Bills are so locked in to Nassib that they hired Hackett to be the OC, and there's a possibility that Nassib will be drafted elsewhere, then the whole franchise is, indeed, !@#$ed.

That's the ridiculous part. They may be interested in him, but there are ulterior plans in the event certain players are selected. The whole draft plan then gets shifted. It's ridiculous to think everything is so set in stone in regards to the draft. Blah blah blah.

My real point is this...We could end up with Syracuse HC, Offensive Coordinator, and QB....Is this what real change looks like? I guess its far different then what is normal around here. But how much better are these candidates based on there prior experience (The only thing we can judge them on) It is not very impressive by any means...That was my real point, sorry if I failed to communicate it correctly. Thanks for your response though, definitely sheds a better light on this then I'd imagined. Just don't go about it in such a mean way next time! ;)

Edited by Awwufelloff