Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nassib has the strongest arm and quickest release of all QBs in this draft. His delivery is tight and compact. His hieght and mobility are good enough. That is enough to get him noticed right there. He would be my pick for the Bills, but if we dont get him, I assume that will be bacuse Marrone didnt want him, which would be OK with me.

Nassib is not a franchise QB, we need a real QB then draft one with potential ...Flacco - Tyler Bray.

Typically Franchise QBs dont get benched in college.

Although, Ill eat my hat if bray becomes the next Brady (who also got benched in colege FYI)

Edited by peterpan

Why not wait another year for either Bridgewater or Manziel?

The fact that theres no QB that the majority of fans or anaylsts can agree upon is not a good sign

Sign Alex Smith or Vick this year and draft a QB next year. My 2 Cents.

Isn't Manziel a true freshman? I would love for him to be in a Bills uniform but since I gather he'll be a top 3 pick in 2015, I hope we're not drafting near that high then.

Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones or Geno Smith please.

Having never watched a single snap of Nassib at QB, I was actually rather impressed with that video. He faced constant pressure and made some very good throws; he was also the victim of a number of drops. Arm strength looks more than adequate. Definitely keeps his feet moving. Anyway, that was interesting to watch; thanks.

I think he looked even better in this game... It was against Louisville who was #9 at the time and iirc undefeated.

Didn't watch the clip but I've seen Nassib a few times. My take is that he throws a ton of short passes and screens. It's probably more a product of Marrone's offense. Because of this i have no idea if Nassib has a cannon for an arm or if he's accurate on long passes downfield?

I do like that he appears to be a real leader and in command of the huddle. I've seen him doing that Peyton Manning-like orchestration at the line of scrimmage and directing his people while calling out the signals. That shows me something about his intangibles.

Nassib has the strongest arm and quickest release of all QBs in this draft. His delivery is tight and compact. His hieght and mobility are good enough. That is enough to get him noticed right there. He would be my pick for the Bills, but if we dont get him, I assume that will be bacuse Marrone didnt want him, which would be OK with me.

I'm really surprised no one has said this yet but Nassib has the same throwing motion as Trent Edwards.

He gets rid of the ball quickly because he doesn't bring his arm back very far and he generates his power through the end of his throw.

Now he looks bigger and stronger than Trent of course.

Finally, I thought he played fairly well in the USC clip. It's good to see a quarterback react to playing against a much more talented team where his throwing windows are smaller and close faster and his protection is fleeting.

I thought under those circumstances he looked pretty good.

I'm not sure what to make of him. I have seen him lack touch on some short throws where he just guns it at a back or receiver who is 5 yards from him. Other times he zips it into a tight window just by the defender. He has a lot of experiece and got better each year which is promising.

I'm really surprised no one has said this yet but Nassib has the same throwing motion as Trent Edwards.

He gets rid of the ball quickly because he doesn't bring his arm back very far and he generates his power through the end of his throw.

Now he looks bigger and stronger than Trent of course.

Finally, I thought he played fairly well in the USC clip. It's good to see a quarterback react to playing against a much more talented team where his throwing windows are smaller and close faster and his protection is fleeting.

I thought under those circumstances he looked pretty good.

hmmm I'll have to find which thread I mentioned this but I agree that he has a certain Trentish quality. The issue for me is - is it the good or bad Trent? That said he grew on me a lot over this year. At the start of the year I thought he was garbage but by the louisville game (highlights that I posted) I was converted into thinking maybe a 3rd round pick. After the Louisville game it was late first early 2nd. He throws darts around and familiarity with Marrone's offense raises my intrigue even more. Still don't want him at 8 but I wouldn't mind a trade down/trade up scenario to nab him.

edit: found it! Link or it didn't happen... post #25

Edited by section122

My Favorite scenario is still drafting Glennon at #8 and taking Nassib in the 3rd round. Draft both guys and hope you hit on one. The more you read though it sounds like Nassib will move up possibly as early as late 1st round-early 2nd..

My Favorite scenario is still drafting Glennon at #8 and taking Nassib in the 3rd round. Draft both guys and hope you hit on one. The more you read though it sounds like Nassib will move up possibly as early as late 1st round-early 2nd..

I really don't get the Glennon hype. He has completely underwhelmed me and really doesn't strike me as a leader. I guess I could get behind it in the 2nd but definitely not in the first. I like Nassib better than him and I don't think he is a legit 1st rounder either.

Btw, Marrone inherited Nassib so it's not like he recruited the kid.

I really don't get the Glennon hype. He has completely underwhelmed me and really doesn't strike me as a leader. I guess I could get behind it in the 2nd but definitely not in the first. I like Nassib better than him and I don't think he is a legit 1st rounder either.

Btw, Marrone inherited Nassib so it's not like he recruited the kid.

But unfotunately if you wait till the 2nd round, you likely miss on both guys. They can't miss this year. Teams took Locker and Ponder high in the 1st who i hated.

My hype for Glennon has everything to do with his arm. He won't underthrow anyone.

Nassib displayed intelligence and accurracy this season completing 63 percent of his passes for 3,619 yards, 24 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Nassib had a record-setting game in a narrow loss to Northwestern in Syracuse's opener. He threw four touchdowns in the second half to give the Orange a lead. Nassib set Syracuse records in passing attempts and yards as he completed 45-of-66 passes for 479 yards with four touchdowns and an interception. Nassib also picked up some clutch yards on the ground.

Syracuse doesn't have a strong supporting cast, and Nassib has played better than his numbers indicate.

I think you should watch more football.

This. If Nassib had a better cast around him, the numbers would have been even greater. Lemon is a good WR, but not great. His yardage, pocket presence, and TD to INT ratio are great.

hmmm I'll have to find which thread I mentioned this but I agree that he has a certain Trentish quality. The issue for me is - is it the good or bad Trent? That said he grew on me a lot over this year. At the start of the year I thought he was garbage but by the louisville game (highlights that I posted) I was converted into thinking maybe a 3rd round pick. After the Louisville game it was late first early 2nd. He throws darts around and familiarity with Marrone's offense raises my intrigue even more. Still don't want him at 8 but I wouldn't mind a trade down/trade up scenario to nab him.

edit: found it! Link or it didn't happen... post #25

Would love to trade down for him. Then grab DE and OLB in the second round w/ our 2 second round picks. And hopefully get 2 4ths as well. What would we likely get for trading down, guess it depends on who is still on the board. But it will be hard to trade down if Jarvus Jones is sitting there at #8.

Edited by RyanC883

But unfotunately if you wait till the 2nd round, you likely miss on both guys. They can't miss this year. Teams took Locker and Ponder high in the 1st who i hated.

My hype for Glennon has everything to do with his arm. He won't underthrow anyone.

In fairness, I haven't watch him a ton. But falling in love with a guy because their arm strength is very dangerous. JP Losman, Jeff George, and JaMarcus Russell didn't underthrow people either. RG3 is awesome because he has amazing touch on his deep passes.

Would love to trade down for him. Then grab DE and OLB in the second round w/ our 2 second round picks. And hopefully get 2 4ths as well. What would we likely get for trading down, guess it depends on who is still on the board. But it will be hard to trade down if Jarvus Jones is sitting there at #8.

My ideal would actually be to take that pick at #8 and use it on a stud (Jones, T'eo, etc..). Then trade up into the top of 2nd back end of 1st for Nassib. He is a prospect that needs to be drafted correctly not a Ponder/Locker type reach imo, if someone else wants to reach for him then let them.

Unless he keeps throwing off his back foot -- an annoying tendency his next coach will have to address.

I wasn't really impressed with Nassib in these two clips. I can see his 63% completion percentage being a product of completing the short throws, screens, and swing passes, but his long ball was terrible and inaccurate.

He does have very good arm strength on the short to intermediate throws, but he was very inaccurate and doesn't have very good touch on his throws, especially on the deep throws. He displays pretty good pocket awareness, but his feet are way too happy, and he has a cocking motion in his throwing motion.

There are other QB prospects that I like a lot better, but we will have to see how they all perform in the Senior Bowl.

Not just cuz he wears number 12....but my goodness does he remind me of jimbo with his stature and his delivery....anyone else think so or am I nuts?

It didn't strike me when I first watched it, but after reading your post and re-watching some of the video, there are a couple of plays where an argument could be made that he's somewhat Kelly-esque. To my eye, it was on 3-step drops in the way he planted his back foot and then his follow-through motion.

That said, it may have less to do with him than it does with us watching Fitz's convulsed throw over the last few years!

Edited by Campy

Why not wait another year for either Bridgewater or Manziel?

The fact that theres no QB that the majority of fans or anaylsts can agree upon is not a good sign

Sign Alex Smith or Vick this year and draft a QB next year. My 2 Cents.

Because Manziel is gonna suck in the NFL.

With Doug Marrone coming in as HC I don't think its unreasonable to think he will bring Ryan Nassib as his QB.

USC was arguably the orange's toughest game last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgDOOq3hDY

My thoughts on this game:

Positives

1. Very accurate on the short throws. Hitting in stride, should have had more completions quite a few drops.

2. Can definitely put some zip on the ball when necessary.

3. No overthrown deep balls. Receivers had a chance to make a play on basically all the throws 20+ yards down the field.

4. Showed ability to put some touch on the ball when necessary.

5. Some ability to throw in the run.

Negatives

1. Thought he was more of a running threat, he looked to have average speed.

2. Two additional passes (end zone pass that he underthrew, and touch pass that the safety misplayed) probably would have been intercepted the NFL. Possibly trying touch passes too much and you'll pay for that with NFL DBs.

3. Indecisive, especially in beginning of the video, clutching the ball numerous times before getting rid of it.

Overall, he looked OK to me. Defintely not my first choice, but wouldn't be pissed if we got him either.

Lots of drops in this game. He definitely throws a nice ball. He threw some good deep balls too. Haven't seen those from the Bills in a few years! I wouldn't be upset if we got him with our 2nd pick but I'm guessing we would have to trade back into the end of the first to get him. Not a lot of good qb's in this draft so a lot of teams that need one will be reaching

My ideal would actually be to take that pick at #8 and use it on a stud (Jones, T'eo, etc..). Then trade up into the top of 2nd back end of 1st for Nassib. He is a prospect that needs to be drafted correctly not a Ponder/Locker type reach imo, if someone else wants to reach for him then let them.

Having his head coach as our head coach now gives the Bills "the book" on Nassib. He better than anyone will know whether he's worthy of the #8 pick, that he's a franchise QB who isn't a project and will be good right away...or whether the Bills should rather take a stud defensive player instead at #8.

As for Nassib, I don't know how many people have done this but his entire game throws are on youtube. They're all condensed so that you can watch all his throws in 7-10 minutes. I did this yesterday and suggest Bills fans to do the same if you want to have an informed comment on Nassib. My take after seeing 4 games this way is that he does a lot of things well. He's not a one trick pony big arm guys like Glennon or Bray. Nassib's receivers dropped a ton of passes from the games I saw as well. Is he worthy of #8? After watching the videos and knowing Marrone's our coach now, I wouldn't have a major problem because I would have to believe that he thinks Nassib has Drew Brees potential level of talent. He also must have the will and desire that the elites have to want to be the best. Marrone surely knows this about Nassib as well.

Nassib is not a franchise QB, we need a real QB then draft one with potential ...Flacco - Tyler Bray.

Tyler Bray is the same player in clutch moments - mentally at least - as #14. OH 3RD AND 8 IN THE TWO MINUTE DRILL? I'm gonna try to scramble for it.....FUMBLE.

The most unclutch, boneheaded crunch time player since well...Tony Romo

I'm no expert, but it looks like he needs some work to succeed at the next level. I liked his touch on some of those longer passes. Saw some funky footwork when throwing. He is so intent looking downfield that his pocket presence suffers. which is a blessing and a problem at the same time.

If anything, I'd say Nassib need to tone it down a bit, he's trying to zip everything. I think his throwing motion has more to do with trying to gun everything. He does get rid if the ball very quickly which is like a 90 plus mph lefty- they will always get chance in the big leagues. So yeah, if he really is a late first- second rounder, I wouldn't complain if they tried I get him there- as long as they don't use thier first rounder to get there.

Might just be me, but while he is going through his reads he looks like he's dancing gangnam style.

Yeah, others have mentioned that as well. For some guys, that means "happy feet" (not good), and for others (i.e., Peyton Manning) it's how they keep their lower body "active" and ready to throw or move.

Haven't seen enough of Nassib to know into which category he falls.

Might just be me, but while he is going through his reads he looks like he's dancing gangnam style.

. So this is the backstory to why that freak show played at the halftime of the Toronto game. It's all crystal clear now :).

I don't think he's a good pick till the 4th round. Drafttek doesn't have him being chosen in the first 5 rounds. Too early to speculate on him. I did see him beat Missouri at Missouri this year, and he looked tough.

Perhaps true, which means someone will take him in the top ten.

I very much see Glennon as a Locker/Ponder/Gabbert type. I'd rather have no one than one of those 3. Honestly, unless someone jumps out at me (I don't watch much college football till draft time, except for SU), I think I'd rather have us take someone in round 2. That way, if he busts (and probably will), we can come back and draft QB at the top next year. But you can't draft a guy in the first round and give him only 1 year.

I could live with Nassib in the 2nd or 3rd round. It'll be interesting to see where he winds up being slotted. He's definitely not worth a first-round pick, though.

Yeah, others have mentioned that as well. For some guys, that means "happy feet" (not good), and for others (i.e., Peyton Manning) it's how they keep their lower body "active" and ready to throw or move.

Haven't seen enough of Nassib to know into which category he falls.

I'm more referring to the first video posted. He does have some "happy feet" but he is continually pumping the ball at his stomach which is what made me think of it.

He looked good in the second video. I'd have to say there were a good amount of passes in both that should have been caught but the receivers didn't come up with it. He does have some good zip on the ball. I feel like he looks more of a pure pocket passer. Throws outside of the pocket or on the runner were off most of the time.

I'm not against him, just as long as it's not in the first round. I would prefer if he was available later in the 2nd round to move up to get him if necessary otherwise take him with the 3rd/4th round pick.

As Bobblehead noted, it looks like he's always trying to zip the ball into his receivers. That's not really that bad but I feel like in some cases he needs to have a bit better touch. He at least has the arm strength to get the ball down field but i'm not sure if it's his throws or the receivers not being able to get where they need to be for the ball that made a lot of the passes fall incomplete. I like his as a third round pick up, or trading up into a late second to get him.

Oh, and good lord, could his receivers drop anymore simple passes?

Edited by RK_BillsFan