DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he still on the roster? Then they haven't stopped selling him.

Then I guess they have been selling him about as much as Jay Ross.

It's funny that some around here use the hindsight (being 20/20) argument to defend Nix when it comes to the Draft and other moves he's made...But in reality Nix gets a tremendous amount of clarity himself when given the benefit of hindsight...So... ;)

It is not like the the Buddy bashers or Buffalo media use their 20/20 hindsight glasses every freaking day.

So the Bills GM gets a private phone conversation recorded by a couple kids who weren't initially even trying to record it. And during this conversation he not only says that he has no idea what he is going to do about the teams QB situation, but that he doesn't know what he will do about his current QB that he gave a big contract to last year and who will be fighting for the backup position this coming season. And all of this happens right before the Bills go out and try to sign free agents that presumably will be getting offers from other teams as well. Yup that is definitely a win for sure.

Did you expect Nix to tell the TB GM which QBs they were targeting? Please. That would be suicide. Get real.

Id feel better if Nix is not heard from nor seen again then gone May 1st at the latest. I would feel MUCH better if Fitz gets cut in the next 1 hour or so.

If this was Facebook, I would have hit the "like" button on your post in a half a second.

Nothing much was revealed that we didn't already know.

I would say we did though. Baring injury, Fitz is never going to start another game for the Bills. He's not even going to serve as a place warmer until our new rookie QB is ready to start. Not only that, it looks like the Bills have already made up their mind to cut him if he doesn't decide to restructure. That's a lot right there.

I'd be more concerned as a Bucs fan. Their GM just said their free agents don't want to sign with them.

I don't think Nix sounded bad. He didn't say anything we already know and we should probably be relieved for the way he thinks about Fitz.

This call pretty much guaranteed that we won't trade up and that we'll be drafting a QB and playing them right away.

That's what I heard. But then again, I guess we hear what we want to hear. I think Buddy is among the most incompetent GMs in Buffalo Bills history. So everything I hear out of his mouth supports that conclusion. I can accept that.

But I am utterly shocked at the confidence on this board that

A. Buddy is a good football guy and has done a good or even decent job, or

B. Even though Buddy has sucked, he has done some good and will turn this around, or, finally

C. Buddy's not really in charge, Whaley is (and he'll do better).

That is some serious optimism and I commend you all for that.

So your conviction is that Nix is the worst GM, but you still feel compelled to put words in his mouth? You must not feel your argument is strong enough on it's own.

PTR

http://profootballta...-recorded-call/

Florio weighs in again, essentially not 100% sure of the legality but saying it could be real bad for the kids based on his general knowledge of the situation and laws.

Gawker (Deadspin's 'parent') is a New York-based company and is just as exposed as the 'kids' for replaying the conversation.

It will be really interesting to see what their legal response is to this prank...

So your conviction is that Nix is the worst GM, but you still feel compelled to put words in his mouth? You must not feel your argument is strong enough on it's own.

PTR

My words are irrelevant compared to Buddy's actions. The fact that he has no idea what to do at QB will be proven (again) this year. But he's your guy....I get it.

Best tweet I've seen on the topic:

Buddy Nix just released a statement: "Can't talk now, my damn fridge is running down the street."

:lol:

Most of the time Sometimes, as a Bills fan, you just gotta laugh.

Wonder if Chris Brown will interview Nix about this...... :doh:

Buddy Nix just released a statement: "Can't talk now, my damn fridge is running down the street."

ROFL

dang gum, who put the wheels on these here coolers....

Did you expect Nix to tell the TB GM which QBs they were targeting? Please. That would be suicide. Get real.

No. But I also don't expect him to make statements about Fitz, you know the QB of the future last year, like he did either.

Suicide for trying to sign quality FA's you mean? Maybe, but that remains to be seen.

That is quite good.

Buddy Nix continues to embarrass himself and this organization. He's a complete joke. I can't believe people still defend this moron. This thread is a perfect example of the Bills fan's version of "Stockholm syndrome". We've fallen in love with our captures despite the utter lack of talent and 16-32 record.

Buddy Nix continues to embarrass himself and this organization. He's a complete joke. I can't believe people still defend this moron. This thread is a perfect example of the Bills fan's version of "Stockholm syndrome". We've fallen in love with our captures despite the utter lack of talent and 16-32 record.

Who exactly has been defending Buddy Nix here as far as being a good GM goes? I'd have to go through 14 pages but I don't recall reading one post saying he was a good GM. People here have been saying either he is a complete moron or he didn't say anything we didn't know except that Nix realizes Fitz isn't a starter.

No. But I also don't expect him to make statements about Fitz, you know the QB of the future last year, like he did either.

Suicide for trying to sign quality FA's you mean? Maybe, but that remains to be seen.

So what should he have done? Said "Fitz is our unquestioned starter, he's the best QB in the league!" Talk about looking crazy...

And if I'm a FA (especially and Offensive player), I feel good knowing that Nix isn't satisfied with Fitz's play. And of course he doesn't know *exaclty* what we're going to do yet - do we get a QB in FA? Does Geno fall to us at 8? Do we take Nassib in the second round?

He wasn't saying we're not going to have a QB next year, just thy we're really sure who it is yet...

Deadspin soon to be Deadwebsite after the Bills/Bucs/NFL get through with them.

Excellent point. Hadn't even considered the litigious monster that now looms over them.

The website has been content to wear a bulls eye on its back, almost like a badge of honor. Unfortunately for them, they just crossed a line that gives permission to fire to their very powerful adversaries.

So what should he have done? Said "Fitz is our unquestioned starter, he's the best QB in the league!" Talk about looking crazy...

And if I'm a FA (especially and Offensive player), I feel good knowing that Nix isn't satisfied with Fitz's play. And of course he doesn't know *exaclty* what we're going to do yet - do we get a QB in FA? Does Geno fall to us at 8? Do we take Nassib in the second round?

He wasn't saying we're not going to have a QB next year, just thy we're really sure who it is yet...

What is worse, crazy or incompetent? Should have said nothing at all, there was nothing to be gained by making those Fitz statements.

No real harm in saying he doesn't know what to do about getting a QB if that statement was only to the TB GM which is what he intended. Unfortunately it backfired on him.

What is worse, crazy or incompetent? Should have said nothing at all, there was nothing to be gained by making those Fitz statements.

No real harm in saying he doesn't know what to do about getting a QB if that statement was only to the TB GM which is what he intended. Unfortunately it backfired on him.

So what's to be gained from your piling-on? It's clear that you, like many others in this thread, are retrofitting this incident to fit your anti-Nix agenda. So, silence is prudence, what's your excuse?

Excellent point. Hadn't even considered the litigious monster that now looms over them.

The website has been content to wear a bulls eye on its back, almost like a badge of honor. Unfortunately for them, they just crossed a line that gives permission to fire to their very powerful adversaries.

Will be interesting to see. Sites and publications like that do this kind of thing all the time and tend to get away with it. We will see if the NFL lawyers fare any better than the others.

Will be interesting to see. Sites and publications like that do this kind of thing all the time and tend to get away with it. We will see if the NFL lawyers fare any better than the others.

RECORD CONVERSATIONS AND PLAY THEM!?

This isn't Nam, Smokey. There are rules here.

So what's to be gained from your piling-on? It's clear that you, like many others in this thread, are retrofitting this incident to fit your anti-Nix agenda. So, silence is prudence, what's your excuse?

Not sure if I have a anti-Nix agenda. In general he has not impressed me, but I don't recall demanding that he be shown the door either. This is just another instance where he has not impressed me

Roger Goodell has announced that the NFL will implement The Buddy Nix Rule, aka 'The Buddy System', which will require a GM to provide that day's password to confirm their identity at the start of all phone conversations.

Posts here rarely make me laugh out loud.

"The Buddy System" made me laugh out loud.

Just throwing this out there, but isn't there the slightest possibility Nix was fishing for Freeman-related intel?

Maybe there was nothing to be gained, but its two business guys having a private converstation and shooting the **** about the state of where they are at this point in time. As has been stated, happens all the time in business...

I'm not sure what is issue is. Makes me damn happy some of my biz calls are taped an put on the Internet :D

And how did it "backfire" on him?

Roger Goodell has announced that the NFL will implement The Buddy Nix Rule, aka 'The Buddy System', which will require a GM to provide that day's password to confirm their identity at the start of all phone conversations.

lol - if Nix has to remember a new password everyday, I agree, we're in trouble!

RECORD CONVERSATIONS AND PLAY THEM!?

This isn't Nam, Smokey. There are rules here.

There are invasions of privacy all the time. From extreme telephoto lens cameras taking pictures of celebs naked on a private beach to stealing and posting/selling couples private sex videos. Yeah there are rules and laws, but these types of sites tend to have lawyers who specialize on circumventing them. Like I said, it will be interesting to see if the NFL lawyers can break through that.