DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

To everyone saying that these "pranksters" are going to get arrested or whatever: unless these guys were stupid enough to use one of their own cell phones and not a prepaid, they won't be able to be traced. Also I would hope that the FBI has better things to do than start a manhunt for a couple of harmless prank callers.

My money is on that they were stupid. I have no problem with them facing the consequences of their actions.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No where does he say or imply that. He says we are set at tackle. And also laments that it has been difficult to sign our own guys - something the Tampa GM agreed with.

That is, admittedly, me reading into it. But again: last year, and even now THIS year, you have draft "experts" talking about how Glenn would be a perfect fit at guard instead of Tackle where he is now. If Buddy's designs were indeed to move Glenn to that position, then he would not be "set at tackle" because his starting Left Tackle would be elsewhere and we would be in the exact same situation as last year.

Might I be wrong? Yes. Might Nix consider Levitre's departure so serious that he couldn't even CONSIDER someone else on the roster. Also yes. But it certainly would affect the odds if I was going to bet against the Bills taking an OL player in FA or high in the draft.

I almost want the Bills to pass on Levitre and sign Brandon Moore for a couple years and then use the extra 4-5 to sign a guy like Ellerbee, Martellus Bennett or Cook, Landty, Gibson, or even Phillip Wheeler

Agreed. Paying $7 million per year for Levitre is a luxury the Bills can't afford with so many other holes to fill.

It's the same for the 'Fins and the #1 overall pick from a few years ago...

To add to this, I can't imagine how in the hell someone (regardless of age) gets duped into this sort of thug so I wonder if its either a hoax or a play by the Bucs or Bills somehow. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors.

You may want to ask that question of the family of the nurse in England who killed herself after getting pranked by an Australian radio station.

My money is on that they were stupid. I have no problem with them facing the consequences of their actions.

I imagine they probably weren't too secret in this. They were planning a simple call and hang up with the original call. Not even that really - a simple call and "no you can't be connected"

Think they bought a burner to do this?

Exactly! Its called fishing ... hey if I tell you I don't know what do to about a position you may be able to offer me a solution! And fix one for yourself.

Exactly.

Has anyone on this board ever watched Moneyball?

Yeah, don't worry about the inflection because Nix didn't even say that. Good one JPS.

That's what I heard. But then again, I guess we hear what we want to hear. I think Buddy is among the most incompetent GMs in Buffalo Bills history. So everything I hear out of his mouth supports that conclusion. I can accept that.

But I am utterly shocked at the confidence on this board that

A. Buddy is a good football guy and has done a good or even decent job, or

B. Even though Buddy has sucked, he has done some good and will turn this around, or, finally

C. Buddy's not really in charge, Whaley is (and he'll do better).

That is some serious optimism and I commend you all for that.

Agreed. Paying $7 million per year for Levitre is a luxury the Bills can't afford with so many other holes to fill.

It's the same for the 'Fins and the #1 overall pick from a few years ago...

Also agreed. Would I love to have Levitre back this year? Oh hell yes. But now that he's made it to the open market, and with all the other problems we have the money we spend on him would be gilding the lily of an already solid O-line while our LB and WR corps are abysmal.

To everyone saying that these "pranksters" are going to get arrested or whatever: unless these guys were stupid enough to use one of their own cell phones and not a prepaid, they won't be able to be traced. Also I would hope that the FBI has better things to do than start a manhunt for a couple of harmless prank callers.

Deadspin is liable though since they distributed a private conversation that was known to be illegally taped...

Two things...

1) Someone is in serious, I mean serious, legal trouble for setting the thing up and recording the conversation.

2) Not new news... we know Buddy is done. But, it may be sooner than we think .... like before training camp.

Yep. As to #1, the big spenders in FA are going to be the idiot kids who set this thing up. They most likely violated the wiretap laws of at least one, if not several, states . They will spend a ton in legal fees, fines, etc. to get out of this idiotic prank.

The lack of knowledge most posters have when it pertains to running a business, and PUBLICLY managing that business and employees is painfully obvious. People here expect our GM to give the media completely honest answers right from the hip. They'll site Nix backing Fitz in the media previously, as if he could have said anything else.

It's just posters showing their typical ignorance in order to find something to complain about.

The thing I find the most interesting is how so many people spout off as if they know exactly how the typical conversation between GMs goes. It's one of those things I have always wondered about, especially when people start talking about trade rumors. It seems like a lot of people exact every single word between GMs to be offer/counter-offer. So for me, this call was interesting because it showed that GMs can have a far more casual conversation than a lot of fans would expect.

Okay..other than the fact that it is a recorded conversation that was leaked...there really isn't anything earth-shattering here... if you are embarassed by Buddy Nix, just go back and listen to some of his segments on GR. This is just "Buddy being Buddy". The only thing revealing is that, should Fitzpatrick be back next season, it will be hard for the Bills to sell Fitz as "their guy", after this....

I like how he says Fitz is competing for a "backup" job.

Maybe Buddy is a total genius. Maybe he recorded the conversation and leaked it on purpose. Maybe the prank part is all made up. Buddy threw Fitz under the bus, backed up and ran him over. Compete for a backup spot? Can't pay him that kind of money? Can't sign any free agents because of his contract? If Fitz doesn't do something (renegotiate?) the Bills have to? Just going to tell the Tampa Bay GM that in casual conversation? At least we know what they really think of Fitz.

The coolest thing about this phone call is it's bridging us to 4pm.

There is that. :D

Maybe Buddy is a total genius. Maybe he recorded the conversation and leaked it on purpose. Maybe the prank part is all made up. Buddy threw Fitz under the bus, backed up and ran him over. Compete for a backup spot? Can't pay him that kind of money? Can't sign any free agents because of his contract? If Fitz doesn't do something (renegotiate?) the Bills have to? Just going to tell the Tampa Bay GM that in casual conversation? At least we know what they really think of Fitz.

Fitz and his agent know for sure that the Bills are not bluffing.