DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, Fitz probably wants to get cut. He probably thinks he would have a shot with Arizona. Fitz's agent is aware of this "discussion" and was not happy. See PFC twitter.

There is no evidence that PFC is a reliable site whatsoever.

My take is this: How many conversations has anyone heard between 2 GM's? My guess is zero... I think people assume way to much about the conversation being had. This sounded like a total off the cuff conversation. Its pretty obvious that these GM's talk regularly, but why would he devulge any information that isn't common knowledge? I doubt they go out and call these other GM's and say "Hey, were gonna sign x,y,z" or "were doing this specific move with this player."

To me it's such a none story, IMO.

Couple of thoughts:

-Buddy sounds slightly inept in this phone call... it almost sounds like he thinks its unfair that teams like the colts get Luck and hes stuck with Fitz.

-Nix publicly defended Fitz multiple times throughout the last 2 years and he gave him the ridiculous extension, depsite his physical limitiations. To complain about Fitz to another GM, when you are THE REASON why you are in the situation in the first place, makes you sound really inept.

-I feel worse about the running of our franchise now then at any point in the last 5-10 years.

-I know Buddy got pranked but the comments he made to tampa GM showed weakness. If you listen carefully Tamps GM doesnt say much, he just listens to Nix. When youre a GM you need to puff your chest and flex your muscles and act like your team knows what youre doing, even if if you dont.

-If I were owner, this would be a fireable offense.

Scott Berchtold just threw up in his mouth. The Bills VP of Communications job just got a lot harder.

Wow. Why does this seem like this seem like Dumb and Dumber with this GM at the helm?

Good. Scott is a useless, self important arrogant ass.

Edited by beerme1

holy freakin massive overreaction batman

what ive learned from this thread: too many people are incredibly gullible, incredibly negative, incredibly dumb, or all three

first of all, why in the world would buddy bother to look up a number he thinks he already has. the secretary tells you a call came in from a gm, you see the number on your phone, you get disconnected, and try to call back. gms are very busy, its not unusual that they wouldnt answer their phone. the only thing you can say is why didnt buddy realize something was wrong when there was no vm or sec that picked up eventually but its entirely possible he just didnt want to bother to let it ring and just kept calling back to let it ring a couple times to catch the other gm live. this kind of thing happens every day

secondly, as if buddy really has no idea whats hes gonna do with his own qb situation. youre talking to somebody youre hoping you can make a deal with, the smart thing to do at that early juncture is play down your hand and try to make the other guy both comfortable with you (by comiserating) and feel like maybe he can get something out of you. in those kinds of private conversation situations you say crap that you know full well isnt true, youre just throwing stuff out there and hope it leads to something. you act like hes on the freakin witness stand or something - its called BULLSH--ING for crying out loud

finally, wtf is wrong with some of yall citing federal law standards. who tf gives a crap about that?!? if the feds want to pursue it thats up to them, why is it your job to worry about that. dont you have any freakin sense of humor whatsoever?!! this was an awesome prank that was very funny. if the perps get in trouble what do you care. cant you just sit back and enjoy it. its like watching the jackass movies and saying 'well those guys are just being irresponsible'. omg no sh. THATS WHY THEY CALL THE DAMN SHOW JACKASSES. jackass

my god theres a freakin mountain of bunched up panties up in hmya

I got a feeling, Nix is getting another earful right now from someone upstairs.

I'm also getting a worse feeling that Nix is still in charge.

I think it is worse. I think no one is really in charge and there is a power struggle with a lot of disagreement. it has turned into the US congress.

though this is just me playing chicken little with nothing but my crazy imagination with no evidence.

. When youre a GM you need to puff your chest and flex your muscles and act like your team knows what youre doing, even if if you dont.

And you learned this in your many years of experience as an NFL General Manager?

You've never been part of or even heard any NFL GM's private conversations until this one. You have no idea if these two are friends or what their relationship. You have no idea what prior conversations they've. Basically, you have no idea what you are talking about. But carry on.

When youre a GM you need to puff your chest and flex your muscles and act like your team knows what youre doing, even if if you dont.

yeah bc theres only one way to do things in life

theres no lawyers that play up the southern hick angle, theres no boxers that ropeadope an opponent into exhaustion, theres no larry birds that cant jump that make the hof. just look up the standard method for every job in the world and youll be a success

no thats not naive at all

finally, wtf is wrong with some of yall citing federal law standards. who tf gives a crap about that?!? if the feds want to pursue it thats up to them, why is it your job to worry about that. dont you have any freakin sense of humor whatsoever?!! this was an awesome prank that was very funny. if the perps get in trouble what do you care. cant you just sit back and enjoy it. its like watching the jackass movies and saying 'well those guys are just being irresponsible'. omg no sh. THATS WHY THEY CALL THE DAMN SHOW JACKASSES. jackass

Personally, I don't care about the "law," I care about Deadspin checking the "journalism" box, moving forward. In that sense, it's immeasurably unethical.

holy freakin massive overreaction batman

what ive learned from this thread: too many people are incredibly gullible, incredibly negative, incredibly dumb, or all three

first of all, why in the world would buddy bother to look up a number he thinks he already has. the secretary tells you a call came in from a gm, you see the number on your phone, you get disconnected, and try to call back. gms are very busy, its not unusual that they wouldnt answer their phone. the only thing you can say is why didnt buddy realize something was wrong when there was no vm or sec that picked up eventually but its entirely possible he just didnt want to bother to let it ring and just kept calling back to let it ring a couple times to catch the other gm live. this kind of thing happens every day

secondly, as if buddy really has no idea whats hes gonna do with his own qb situation. youre talking to somebody youre hoping you can make a deal with, the smart thing to do at that early juncture is play down your hand and try to make the other guy both comfortable with you (by comiserating) and feel like maybe he can get something out of you. in those kinds of private conversation situations you say crap that you know full well isnt true, youre just throwing stuff out there and hope it leads to something. you act like hes on the freakin witness stand or something - its called BULLSH--ING for crying out loud

Agreed, Meatwad. The negativity, cynicism, and panty bunching is really making the board an unpleasant experience at a time I've been looking forward to for weeks. It's a shame.

Personally, I don't care about the "law," I care about Deadspin checking the "journalism" box, moving forward. In that sense, it's immeasurably unethical.

i havent been searching, but its also a valid reason why a lot of the more mainstream sites are slow to run on this story right now.

Well, you also heard what the Bucs GM said: "I wouldn't mess with that..." (or something to that effect)

Translation: when your secretary tells you there's another GM on the line in the hours leading up to FA, YOU TAKE THE !@#$ING CALL. So I don't blame him for being "pranked."

Given the royal family scandal from earlier this year, should we put Nix's secretary on suicide watch?

I'm not arguing with what you said here, Its embarrassing to fall for a prank, thats all I am saying. I don't blame him for being pranked though, it can happen all the time, like the example you gave with the hospital and the royal family whom you would expect to have better screening then just an NFL football team

Personally, I'm fascinated by this. I don't understand all the people who think this makes Nix and the Bills look bad or who are assuming everything he said was true. I run a business in a very competitive industry. I often find myself on the phone with colleagues from across the industry trying to get information, form partnerships etc.. When I have these conversations I usually don't offer 100% truth, yet I tell enough of it to keep the conversation moving. The truth I tell is either something I'm sure everyone already knows or something I want other people to know. My point is what did the rest of the NFL really learn here? Not much. If this was a conversation between Buddy and Russ or Buddy and Doug Marrone, then we'd have a scary situation.

My main question...what did Deadspin pay for this? How illegal is the recording or release of it? Can Deadspin or the parties who recorded it be held liable in a civil lawsuit from the NFL/Bills/Tampa? I'm sure Deadspin had their lawyers approve the release, but the NFL is not going to just let people record their GMs and release private conversations publicly. They'll likely look to make an example of the culprits.

It really is an interesting situation.

Edited by Thisistheyear

I'm no lawyer, but that has to be illegal eavesdropping. I'd love to see the NFL sue the $hitt out of this guy...

https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs9-wrtp.htm

"Electronic eavesdropping is the use of an electronic transmitting or recording device to monitor conversations without the consent of the parties...

"The FCC has acknowledged the importance of privacy in telephone conversations by placing additional restrictions on tape recording such conversations..."

"Federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted laws based on the federal standard. But 12 states require the consent of all parties to the call under most circumstances. These are are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington..."

Illegal Disclosure of Information Obtained by Wiretapping or Electronic Eavesdropping

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/intel/98-326.pdf

Title III has three disclosure offenses. The first is a general prohibition focused on the products of an unlawful interception:

• any person [who]

• intentionally

• discloses or endeavors to disclose to another person

• the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication

• having reason to know

• that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication

• in violation of 18 U.S.C. 2511(1)

• is subject to the same sanctions and remedies as the wiretapper or electronic eavesdropper.

Criminal Penalties

Interception, use, or disclosure in violation of Title III is generally punishable by imprisonment for not more than five years and/or a fine of not more than $250,000 for individuals and not more than $500,000 for organizations.

The same penalties apply to the unlawful capture of cell phone and cordless phone conversations, since the Homeland Security Act repealed the reduced penalty provisions that at one time applied to the unlawful interceptions using radio scanners and the like.

Civil Liability

Victims of a violation of Title III may be entitled to equitable relief, damages (equal to the greater of actual damages, $100 per day of violation, or $10,000),163 punitive damages, reasonable attorney’s fees and reasonable litigation costs.164 A majority of federal courts hold that a court may decline to award damages, attorneys’ fees and costs, but a few still consider such awards mandatory.

And you learned this in your many years of experience as an NFL General Manager?

You've never been part of or even heard any NFL GM's private conversations until this one. You have no idea if these two are friends or what their relationship. You have no idea what prior conversations they've. Basically, you have no idea what you are talking about. But carry on.

I'm going off what I listened to. The last thing our GM should be doing is bitching about our QB and how hes handcuffing the franchise when just two years ago you loved the guy, believed in him, and signed him to a ridiculous unwarranted contract extension. Nix created the entire situation hes complaining about, he sounds like a buffoon complaining about it.

A. I would have a plan. I would have 2 or 3 plans.

B. I would not share it with someone who could directly affect any of my plans.

So... you wouldn't know what you were going to do. You'd have 2 or 3 options, but if you had to pick one months in advance, you wouldn't know which. If someone asked you "what your plan was", you'd say "i don't know", b/c a) you don't know and b) you're not going to share your options.

Oh my, that's exactly what this buffoon of a GM did! What a buffoon!

Agreed, Meatwad. The negativity, cynicism, and panty bunching is really making the board an unpleasant experience at a time I've been looking forward to for weeks. It's a shame.

Meh, let them get their panties in a bunch. That isn't the group of posters you want to have a discussion with anyway.