DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix's technological ineptitude just set us back in the FA market, trade leverage, and even draft strategy although our weaknesses were already obvious.

If I was a FA and I saw this sort of behaviour from our GM, I would be looking at my other options.

Thanks Buddy.... Hilarious that he tried calling back a random number repeatedly.

Personally, I'm fascinated by this. I don't understand all the people who think this makes Nix and the Bills look bad or who are assuming everything he said was true. I run a business in a very competitive industry. I often find myself on the phone with colleagues from across the industry trying to get information, form partnerships etc.. When I have these conversations I usually don't offer 100% truth, yet I tell enough of it to keep the conversation moving. The truth I tell is either something I'm sure everyone already knows or something I want other people to know. My point is what did the rest of the NFL really learn here? Not much. If this was a conversation between Buddy and Russ or Buddy and Doug Marrone, then we'd have a scary situation.

The lack of knowledge most posters have when it pertains to running a business, and PUBLICLY managing that business and employees is painfully obvious. People here expect our GM to give the media completely honest answers right from the hip. They'll site Nix backing Fitz in the media previously, as if he could have said anything else.

It's just posters showing their typical ignorance in order to find something to complain about.

The lack of knowledge most posters have when it pertains to running a business, and PUBLICLY managing that business and employees is painfully obvious. People here expect our GM to give the media completely honest answers right from the hip. They'll site Nix backing Fitz in the media previously, as if he could have said anything else.

It's just posters showing their typical ignorance in order to find something to complain about.

Good post. Totally agree.

yeah bc theres only one way to do things in life

theres no lawyers that play up the southern hick angle, theres no boxers that ropeadope an opponent into exhaustion, theres no larry birds that cant jump that make the hof. just look up the standard method for every job in the world and youll be a success

no thats not naive at all

Yup, let's have a comparison to a set of outliers.

Yet in the examples you site, those people were the best in their field. Nix?

Nix's technological ineptitude just set us back in the FA market, trade leverage, and even draft strategy although our weaknesses were already obvious.

If I was a FA and I saw this sort of behaviour from our GM, I would be looking at my other options.

Thanks Buddy.... Hilarious that he tried calling back a random number repeatedly.

bull ****. If you were a FA and worried more about the GM's cell phone knowledge over winning and $$$, then you would be the biggest dummy of the group.

Meh, let them get their panties in a bunch. That isn't the group of posters you want to have a discussion with anyway.

It's just getting annoying that a very vocal minority who complains about every single thing the Bills do and are generally incapable of having a conversation about the actual issues the Bills have because all they can do is froth at the mouth and are given free reign to do so. Then the ignore feature is poor and can fill up quickly. If I ignore someone, I do not want to see their post anyway.

Edited by jeremy2020

I just heard the entire conversation and struggling to find what is so 'incompetent' or 'embarassing' about what the two said. It is a very harmless conversation.

What I did find surprising is that Nix thinks Fitz is fighting for a BACKUP spot which means he is valuing him as a marginal 2 on the depth chart. Quite telling. Also, the complaining about guys not wanting to sign may indicate that he is trying hard to get Levitre to sign - nobody else of note is waiting for a contract with the Bills

You don't have to be an analyst with the NSA nor an attorney to figure out that about five state and federal laws were committed with that stunt. Good luck with all that, Barry. Not only will you have NFL security coming round, you'll also get a visit from your local FBI field office. Yay for you.

FWIW, I don't think Nix is senile or delusional. He doesn't tell anybody anything of value., especially to a team that will be looking at the same players as the Bills in FA. Just sounds like cordial chit chat to me.

First off, apologies to the handful of fierce Nix defenders on this thread, but Nix looks like a buffoon. [EDIT: Not saying he IS a buffoon, just that that's going to be the popular perception, especially among non-Bills fans. Most of whom already think he is based on his Southern goober "not the smartest guy in the room" persona.] Anyone who gets pranked this easily comes across as very foolish, and Nix's age and demeanor add the element of making him look out of touch. Whatever. I don't particularly care, but it won't be fun dealing with the teasing at work once my co-workers hear about this. Maybe I can fly some of you guys out here to explain to them that this doesn't reflect negatively on Nix or the Bills, and that they should stop laughing?

Secondly, I don't like these kind of pranks -- the Domino's prank that this is based off is incredibly mean and anyone who does it is a jerk -- but I'll admit that one of my greatest fan fantasies (aside from winning the Super Bowl) is to actually hear what the front office thinks in confidence. This isn't quite that, but it's pretty close, and WAY closer than anything I've heard before. So that's cool. And I'll agree with many others that from an embarrassment perspective, it could've been a lot worse.

Lastly, there's one more silver lining: I'm actually enthused by a couple of Nix's comments. First, his Fitz comments are what most of us were hoping he was thinking. I know a certain poster has been harping on the idea that the Bills wouldn't and couldn't cut Fitz or else they'd lose all leverage with other free agent QBs and in the draft, but I never bought that idea, and it doesn't sound like Nix does, either.

The other encouraging thing was Nix's comment on the 3-day discussion window. Specifically, "I tell ya, we're having trouble signing our own guys..." Given that McLovin signed like a day or two after this call took place, I'm guessing the Bills were already close to a deal when Nix said that. Which says to me that he's mostly talking about Levitre, which in turn says to me that the Bills really want him back and are making a real effort. That's good. My main fear with Levitre is that the Bills would pull a typical Bills move and let him walk without any real effort to retain him, then draft a replacement too high. If he really won't do what Stevie did last year (sign a fair but not exorbitant deal before free agency), and someone offers him a Poszluzny-type deal, then the Bills basically have to let him walk. But at least they made an effort.

Edited by Cash

Honestly, really?

You don't think a lot of posters show their lack of knowledge running a business by the stuff they complain about? You don't think posters complain about what Nix or other GMs/coaches, etc. say publicly when there is no way in hell the GM/coach should be telling the press what they really think?

I have no problem with the "off the cuff" remarks made by Nix. What I have a problem with is him bitching about the unfairness of not having a franchise QB like the Colts. Then he goes on complaining about how hes handcuffed by Fitz, when he was the one who labeled him as our franchise QB in the first place and also the GM who refused to draft and develop a guy behind him should he fail.

Idk how some of you guys arent angered by this?!?!?! This man went on WGR weekly all season long and adamently defended Fitz as "his guy", and referred to him as our "franchise QB", and that fitz "has been successful before and will be successful again"

Im happy he doesnt like Fitz now but honestly...he should have been fired for it.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

bull ****. If you were a FA and worried more about the GM's cell phone knowledge over winning and $$$, then you would be the biggest dummy of the group.

If you have equal $$$ offers, I would go somewhere that I have faith in the head office. Do we look like winning any time soon? Because that sure isn't a FA draw for the bills. We sure wont be appealing to anyone because of our QB or top D :)

The point is, this puts us in a weaker bargaining position with FAs.

Honest mistake from Buddy, but it sure doesn't give anyone faith in our administration.

You're right though, we have cap space and if we make the right offer we can sign anyone. Cash rules.