DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

Good post, but as expressed above, Nix didn't get pranked. His secretary got pranked. Per Dominick's comments, sounds like GM etiquette is to answer the !@#$ing phone when your secretary has one of your colleagues on the line.

So true. What is he supposed to do - have NFL security check it out first.

As an aside, given technology today, about the only numbers I have memorized are my mother's, my wife's, and our house.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the "off the cuff" remarks made by Nix. What I have a problem with is him bitching about the unfairness of not having a franchise QB like the Colts.

I didn't hear Buddy whining at all about the Colts. He was making the observation that as a GM if you have a QB, your job is easy. The Tampa GM agreed and made the same point. Was the Tampa GM also whining?

The part that makes Nix look dumb if that he kept calling that number back.

If your secretary told you that the Tampa GM called you from that number, I would hope that you would call him back. He is just doing his job.

You know, while I have to say that the Deadspin people should definitely be looking into getting a good lawyer on retainer I have to say it's kind of nice to get a quick peek in at how things are going.

It confirms that Nix feels the same way about the QB situation as many of us do: There is no immediate clear cut answer at this point as to who will be starting (at least until the draft), Fitz is not making backup money and is causing serious cap problems and if he's not going to negotiate the best plan would be to simply bite the bullet and cut him.

To me it also is comforting that Nix feels safe about our O-line, even with Levitre departing. Considering the number of people who have been screaming "Take a tackle at 8 overall and move Glenn to guard" it makes me feel better about that situation. Overall, I don't think Buddy looks any worse than he did already.

I didn't hear Buddy whining at all about the Colts. He was making the observation that as a GM if you have a QB, your job is easy. The Tampa GM agreed and made the same point. Was the Tampa GM also whining?

How can anyone not agree with what either one of them said. The Colts' GM fell in to Andrew Luck. It was a great time to have the number one pick. The Colts have an angel watching over them between Manning and Luck.

How can anyone not agree with what either one of them said. The Colts' GM fell in to Andrew Luck. It was a great time to have the number one pick. The Colts have an angel watching over them between Manning and Luck.

I still contend that they fell into nothing. Targeted acquisition.

I'm going off what I listened to. The last thing our GM should be doing is bitching about our QB and how hes handcuffing the franchise when just two years ago you loved the guy, believed in him, and signed him to a ridiculous unwarranted contract extension. Nix created the entire situation hes complaining about, he sounds like a buffoon complaining about it.

The fitz that was given an extension by the Bills (can't put it all on Buddy, he doesn't negotiate contracts, I beleive thats Overdorfs job) isn't the guy thats currently playing right now. They gave the contract to the Fitz that was looking like a quality starting Qb to start last season, before getting hurt. Injuries happen and can sometimes change people, some players also change once they get their big contract, thats not all on the GM.

As for the comments to the Tampa GM about the QB situation here and not knowing what to do or having a plan, may have been a plan to try and get them to offer up Freeman. There was rumors that the Bucs may try and move him, play up the fact you have QB problems, maybe he throws an offer at you that includes Freeman

"I don't know WHAT we're gonna do at quarterback"

Buddy Nix

I have been going to Texas for work for almost a year now and I can tell you that the above sentence does not literally mean what it says. That is Southern speak for "I am in trouble regarding the QB situation and have to do something to solve the problem"

Yeah, don't worry about the inflection because Nix didn't even say that. Good one JPS.

To me it also is comforting that Nix feels safe about our O-line, even with Levitre departing. Considering the number of people who have been screaming "Take a tackle at 8 overall and move Glenn to guard" it makes me feel better about that situation. Overall, I don't think Buddy looks any worse than he did already.

No where does he say or imply that. He says we are set at tackle. And also laments that it has been difficult to sign our own guys - something the Tampa GM agreed with.

The Luck (;)) was that Manning suffered his injury and was unable to play the year when Andrew Luck was available in the draft and the Colts had a built in excuse to "suck for Luck"

I don't think the Colts targeted Luck in the draft if Manning wasn't hurt and off for the year

No where does he say or imply that. He says we are set at tackle. And also laments that it has been difficult to sign our own guys - something the Tampa GM agreed with.

Right. Said and meant nothing about the guards. But this is stuff that is readily known, too. The Bills want to sign Levitre, he wants to know how much other teams are willing to pay him, the Bills don't know if it will be worth it. That's the way the game is played. I almost want the Bills to pass on Levitre and sign Brandon Moore for a couple years and then use the extra 4-5 to sign a guy like Ellerbee, Martellus Bennett or Cook, Landty, Gibson, or even Phillip Wheeler

We can argue about that another time. What you cannot argue is that Ryan Grigson (Colts GM) had the benefit of being named GM when the Colts already had the first pick in the draft. Great way to begin your tenure as a GM (he was with the Eagles before that).

To everyone saying that these "pranksters" are going to get arrested or whatever: unless these guys were stupid enough to use one of their own cell phones and not a prepaid, they won't be able to be traced. Also I would hope that the FBI has better things to do than start a manhunt for a couple of harmless prank callers.

Right. Said and meant nothing about the guards. But this is stuff that is readily known, too. The Bills want to sign Levitre, he wants to know how much other teams are willing to pay him, the Bills don't know if it will be worth it. That's the way the game is played. I almost want the Bills to pass on Levitre and sign Brandon Moore for a couple years and then use the extra 4-5 to sign a guy like Ellerbee, Martellus Bennett or Cook, Landty, Gibson, or even Phillip Wheeler

Anyone wonder if levitre is the player he wants to sign right now?

Sounds like the Bucs GM feels the same way about the QB position. If you glean get one, your a genius, if not, your not far from the hotseat. I'm sure it's a common thread around the league for GMs and HCs.

To add to this, I can't imagine how in the hell someone (regardless of age) gets duped into this sort of thug so I wonder if its either a hoax or a play by the Bucs or Bills somehow. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors.

It it's not, I can't imagine Buddy being here or in the league much longer. You can't look like a fool and keep a job as an NFL GM.

Okay..other than the fact that it is a recorded conversation that was leaked...there really isn't anything earth-shattering here... if you are embarassed by Buddy Nix, just go back and listen to some of his segments on GR. This is just "Buddy being Buddy". The only thing revealing is that, should Fitzpatrick be back next season, it will be hard for the Bills to sell Fitz as "their guy", after this....