Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

I don't get why so many knickers are in a twist on this.

Just because they don't assign him a 2nd round tender (i.e., locking in his salary at $2MM per year) doesn't mean he won't be back. If the Bills want to sign him to a much more reasonable $1 million per year contract, he'll likely be here. If he's as mediocre as many here claim, who's going to throw more money than that at him?

Well...I don't think he's mediocre whatsoever...If the Bills sign Nelson for more than a year, at less than $2 mil per, great! But, to me at least, it makes no sense to let him test the market at all...This team does not have the luxury of allowing players like Nelson to walk...They need every bit of proven production they can get...Especially redzone and 3rd down production at WR... B-)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns me the most is that it would appear to be yet another example of a coaching staff that chooses a system, instead of designing a system around players' strengths. Nelson gets open, has the length to create mismatches, rarely drops the ball, and a high percentage of his catches result in first downs or TDs. If Marrone can't find a way to use him, it does not bode well...

Gailey supporter?

Those of you saying "who cares, he sucks anyway" just amaze me. Do you realize that you - and the Bills - have been wrong about these things ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME? You could literally build an All Pro roster out of guys the Bills have let walk over the past decade, yet the guys they keep and draft to replace the ones who left can't muster a winning record.

Mark my words: Nelson will succeed elsewhere. Just like almost every other player you folks couldn't wait to get rid of. Many of you are just terrible talent evaluators. Those of us banging the table to keep Pat Williams, Winfield, Lynch, Peters, Leonard, Whitner, etc., were right more often than you (and the Bills) were.

Who, prior to the post i am quoting, said Nelson "sucks"? Please stop being such a reactionary hand wringer. It's David Freaking Nelson, not Dez Bryant. Get a grip, dude.

If he stays, great. If the Bills don't think he is worth a 2nd round tender, well then who can blame them?

You have some balls telling us how awesome you are in the talent evaluation department and then in the same breath comparing a 30 catch a year guy to Phat Pat, Antoine, etc. It is the height of idiocy.

Who, prior to the post i am quoting, said Nelson "sucks"? Please stop being such a reactionary hand wringer. It's David Freaking Nelson, not Dez Bryant. Get a grip, dude.

If he stays, great. If the Bills don't think he is worth a 2nd round tender, well then who can blame them?

You have some balls telling us how awesome you are in the talent evaluation department and then in the same breath comparing a 30 catch a year guy to Phat Pat, Antoine, etc. It is the height of idiocy.

You and I can have a side bet if Nelson ends up somewhere else, about how productive he will be.

I'm not comparing player for player. The Bills have lost tons of quality players to bad decision. That year was just the starting point for something that has been going on for years. New coach comes in, good players go out the door, draft picks get burned to replace them.

Except, of course, that Nelson hasn't gone out the door - the Bills have simply refrained from giving him a $2 million tender that would guarantee compensation if another team signs him (a lower round tender to an UDFA really doesn't mean anything). That doesn't even mean they aren't negotiating with him, but perhaps have a more "average WR" salary in mind. Also keep in mind he is rehabbing from an injury that can take 12 months to recover, and we don't know how his rehab is going.

And no Nelson isn't a great player, but he has been an important player. He lead the team in receptions in 2011 and the chances are good he would have done the same in 2012 if not for his ACL injury. The guy is not a spare part, he is the second best receiver on the Bills roster and by a considerable margin.

Facts, Jack: In 2011, Stevie Johnson led the team with 76 receptions for 1004 yds (#18 in the league). Nelson was 2nd, #41 in the league with 61 receptions for 658 yds.

That's pretty good, but it doesn't even approach a #2 or #3 WR on a top team with a pass-heavy offense. And while I agree Nelson is a good steady WR who doesn't drop many balls, he doesn't have elite speed or elite ability to overcome coverage, he can be jammed at the line, and I don't recall him making many of the stellar jumping/diving/adjustment catches that the top wideouts make.

Question for all the folks here with knickers in a knot over this: Who are all these teams that are queueing up to snatch away a mid-pack WR who is rehabbing from a serious injury, can you explain?

Well there you go...

I think the fact that Nelson said he's excited for the next opportunity pretty much shuts the door on any return to Buffalo...So basically the Bills decided he was not worth the tender...We'll see how that turns out...

All I can say is this...I'm on record against this pretty strongly...I think those who are calling the loss of Nelson "no big deal" are grossly underestimating what he brought, in his role, when healthy...I think getting rid of a kid that has produced, again in his role, is the exact opposite of what this team should be doing. The Bills Offense clearly missed Nelson last season...He does make a difference when he's out there...

Many on this board have been disagreeing with all kinds of decisions the Bills have made in the Buddy Nix regime...In hindsight, many of those folks were dead on correct...This Front Office, the one in charge right now, has been prone to poor evaluations of talent overall both on the current roster, and in the Draft...IMHO this is the exact type of poor decision this team continues to make in the Buddy Nix regime...I think, based on the past three years, the odds are pretty good that I come out right on this one too...

If Nelson is healthy again he will produce for some team as the 3rd or 4th option...I think you can take that to the bank...Hopefully it's not NE, Miami, or the NY Jets...BTW...The Jets and Miami are desperate for WR's...Just saying...

Good luck David... B-)

Well there you go...

I think the fact that Nelson said he's excited for the next opportunity pretty much shuts the door on any return to Buffalo...So basically the Bills decided he was not worth the tender...We'll see how that turns out...

All I can say is this...I'm on record against this pretty strongly...I think those who are calling the loss of Nelson "no big deal" are grossly underestimating what he brought, in his role, when healthy...I think getting rid of a kid that has produced, again in his role, is the exact opposite of what this team should be doing. The Bills Offense clearly missed Nelson last season...He does make a difference when he's out there...

Many on this board have been disagreeing with all kinds of decisions the Bills have made in the Buddy Nix regime...In hindsight, many of those folks were dead on correct...This Front Office, the one in charge right now, has been prone to poor evaluations of talent overall both on the current roster, and in the Draft...IMHO this is the exact type of poor decision this team continues to make in the Buddy Nix regime...I think, based on the past three years, the odds are pretty good that I come out right on this one too...

If Nelson is healthy again he will produce for some team as the 3rd or 4th option...I think you can take that to the bank...Hopefully it's not NE, Miami, or the NY Jets...BTW...The Jets and Miami are desperate for WR's...Just saying...

Good luck David... B-)

So this means you'll stop posting the same thing over and over again?

Mr. Nelson, good luck if in fact you're moving on.

Well, I truly hope not. He is the kind of player that we fans love, high character, productive, and exemplified what you want in effort and community involvement. Moreover, letting him walk, with Jones, means the need to address this position in the draft is hightened--and that only produces reaching for guys. I really have a bad taste about this one. And apparently, so do many of you--11 pages in two days.

Edited by CSBill

I'm pissed. This is a bad move. Unless they know something about his recovery- or there lack of- that no one else does, this makes zero sense. The last thing I want to do is overstate the obvious and say the same stuff that every poster does, but Jesus, if Ruvell Martin is on this football team next year and David Nelson is not and then David Nelson, predictably, is a dependable solid receiver elsewhere, I'm gonna freaking lose it. This is a very bad move. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is borderline preposterous. May they be tanking 2013 for Johnny Manziel? It is an absolutely legitimate question at this point.

WR depth: 1. Stevie Johnson 2. T.J. Graham 3. Ruvell Martin 4. Marcus Easley. Can you say Super Bowl?

The only way they can make this right is if they break the bank to sign Dwayne Bowe or one of the other big name free agents at WR. Period, end of story.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Guess Buddy wasn't lying when he said they'd been in contact with Nelson's agent. They called to say the team wasn't tendering an offer.

It's one thing to non-tender when you have better options on the roster. It's another to do so when your receivers consist of SJ, Brad Smith, TJ Graham, and some fringe NFL types. SJ's been banged up the last 2 seasons, TJ Graham is small, and Smith shouldn't be in your top 5. Nelson will never be great, but decimating the WR corps without options is what this franchise always does. When injuries inevitably occur, the WR depth will be exposed as lacking-once again. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

I'm pissed. This is a bad move. Unless they know something about his recovery- or there lack of- that no one else does, this makes zero sense. The last thing I want to do is overstate the obvious and say the same stuff that every poster does, but Jesus, if Ruvell Martin is on this football team next year and David Nelson is not and then David Nelson, predictably, is a dependable solid receiver elsewhere, I'm gonna freaking lose it. This is a very bad move. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is borderline preposterous. May they be tanking 2013 for Johnny Manziel? It is an absolutely legitimate question at this point.

WR depth: 1. Stevie Johnson 2. T.J. Graham 3. Ruvell Martin 4. Marcus Easley. Can you say Super Bowl?

The only way they can make this right is if they break the bank to sign Dwayne Bowe or one of the other big name free agents at WR. Period, end of story.

Add brad smith to the list.

And I mentioned a suspicion of a guy like devery Henderson.

And of course very possibly a big name FA or draft pick

We will see. We don't know his recovery, we don't know the playbook, what we expect out of marrones receivers, of Stevie was moving inside he likely would've struggled to see the field on the outside. He was 4.5+ before the knee injury.

I agree H20 ! Nelson isn't anything great ! If we're turning over a new leaf then lets do it !His injury now makes a slow possession receiver now a very slow receiver ! If your scouting dept. is good ,then you'll find a good replacement !Lindy had to live with the same clowns year after year and where did it get him ???

Why is Doug Marrone starting to smell like Greg Williams to me? You know, the guy that was smarter than everyone else, or at least he thought he was. Truly disappointed in this one.

FYI, from his Twitter: David Nelson@DavidNelson86

Team called my agent this morning. No tender coming. "I don't know what my future holds, but I know who holds my future!" #Jesus

Edited by CSBill

Too bad for you, TSW's resident Semenole Ramius reports that the Bills aren't tendering Nelson because they are OBVIOUSLY working on a long term extension.

Please proceed with your regularly schedule panicked and illogical behavior.

Forgive me for waiting for confirmation on whats going, instead of taking your cue and acting like a frothing lunatic and using the opportunity to start a "i'm smarter than the Bills, and i hope they fail so i can be proven right" circle jerk.

Edited by Ramius

This is what the Bills truly excel at: creating holes for no reason, and perpetually re-building. Nothing new here.

Letting Byrd walk and taking a safety early in the draft would be bad. Letting a slow, UFA who is coming off a serious injury walk isn't ll that bad IMO.

The team is obviously (hopefully) hoarding its resources to resign their top-level guys in Byrd and Levitre which is the right move.

For the record, i don't like the move at all. They had nothing to lose by keeping him., He's not a great WR by any stretch, but at this point, there's no reason to let him walk, not until they've got someone better on the roster. He's a decent 4th WR.

given how light this team is at wr the staff wouldnt take nelsons situation casually. they obviously dont see enough in either his game and/or his recovery to think he is worth the third round tender at this time. sure, they get that pick if somebody else signs him, but if not then they are required to invest the amount of the tender. they have decided to roll the dice and see if they can sign him at a lower price and if not so be it

like ive said, im mildly surprised they dont see him as good enough to use the tender but im pretty confident they must have a good reason. this staff doesnt strike me as that kind of moobs-like organization

How does a team exist in th NFL with no QB, WR, or LBs on its roster? My mind is boggled.

When Buddy Nix is making decisions for you. Is it possible to find a starting QB, 2 solid WR's, and 2-3 starting LB's in one off-season? Say nothing of TE, perhaps G, DE depth, and DB depth. That's a lot to need in one year.

Rumors have it that the Bills want to make another FA splash this year, and that it will come in the form of Dwayne Bowe.

To make a move like that AND lock up Levitre and Byrd, it's prudent not to commit $2M on a 6'7" dude who was slow before he blew up his knee.

A few players David Nelson is not: London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Fat Pat, Lynch or McGahee. He was a role player, not a fixture--so those comparisons can now stop.

A rookie could do Nelson's job as well or better.

And that's not even considering the likelihood that his "job" will change under the new regime, and he won't be asked to specialize in the things he did before.

How does a team exist in th NFL with no QB, WR, or LBs on its roster? My mind is boggled.

Well, since the season is six and half months away, I think you can go ahead and de-boggle that mind of yours.

Injuries didn't help Chan's success rate (Fred, Nelson, Wood, Mario, Anderson, etc) and we are not patient fans- so I'll give you that...but some of Chan's playcalls and team management are what caused his ouster. He was in over his head as a game manager and offensive playcaller.

I was hoping Marrone would keep Nelson as a tall receiver (which we desperately need). Right now our WR crew (absent Nelson) probably averages 5'11"

I see 2 tall receivers in our fuuuuuuuture....one by FA and one by the draaaaaaaft....

Round Pick Team Selection Psn School CRI Delta ReachValue

1 1 Kansas City Star Lotulelei DT34 Utah P6Grab -2 Reach

1 2 Jacksonville Bjoern Werner DE43 Florida State P2 +0 Value

1 3 Oakland Damontre Moore DE43 Texas A&M P2Grab -3 Reach

1 4 Philadelphia Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M P4Grab +3 Value

1 5 Detroit Dion Jordan DE43 Oregon P1R -6 Reach

1 6 Cleveland Barkevious Mingo OLB34 LSU P1Grab -3 Reach

1 7 Arizona Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan P1Grab +2 Value

1 8 Buffalo Geno Smith QB West Virginia P2

2 41 Buffalo Justin Hunter WRF Tennessee P1

3 71 Buffalo Jamie Collins OLB34 Southern Miss P4

4 102 Buffalo Da'Rick Rogers WRF Tennessee Tech P2

5 136 Buffalo Levine Toilolo TE Stanford P3

6 166 Buffalo Conner Vernon WRF Duke P3 +7 Value

UDFA

Chris Gragg TE 80 Arkansas 6'3" 242

It would be nice to get either a WR (Bowe) or a LB (?) in free agency, along with keeping Levitre and Byrd. It almost has to be that way now, considering we don't have enough draft picks to fill all the holes. But we have to get either a WR or LB in free agency, so we can concentrate on the other in the draft...

WOW, the new regime is letting mediocre UDFA receiver(s) walk. Who would have thunk it?

Could they be replaced by 9/9/13? Let's hope so. Most likely 2 of 3 will be unemployed after final cut downs anyways.

Players like Donald, David, Ruvell, etc. were part of the problem, not the solution. What is so hard to understand

with this fanbase. Is it because some are so accustomed to sucky players, that they actually believe they are NFL caliber players?

Does 5-11 6-10 6-10 mean anything, besides being a perennial 7-9 team before even that run?

Let us just hope they are just trying to low ball him, so they can sign a decent player (also they they aren't losing a J. Greer). Also they want Stevie in the slot, Donald Jones then becomes receiver #4

Jones wasn't tendered

Our WR right now are SJ, TJ Graham, Easley, Elliot, and Hogan. Hopefully that's not how we start the season.

Wait - what?!? That cheerleader broke up with him??

Yeah, what? link or it didn't happen

For the record, i don't like the move at all. They had nothing to lose by keeping him., He's not a great WR by any stretch, but at this point, there's no reason to let him walk, not until they've got someone better on the roster. He's a decent 4th WR.

I agree ---there was no reason to let him walk. A contract would have been minimal and not guarenteed since he would have to make the final cut. The one thing He did have was size.