Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

If true, it's very bizarre:

http://deadspin.com/...eason-is-a-hoax

Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, as Sports Illustrated told it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Kekua, 22 years old, had been in a serious car accident in California, and then had been diagnosed with leukemia. SI's Pete Thamel described how Te'o would phone her in her hospital room and stay on the line with her as he slept through the night. "Her relatives told him that at her lowest points, as she fought to emerge from a coma, her breathing rate would increase at the sound of his voice," Thamel wrote.

Upon receiving the news of the two deaths, Te'o went out and led the Fighting Irish to a 20-3 upset of Michigan State, racking up 12 tackles. It was heartbreaking and inspirational. Te'o would appear on ESPN's College GameDay to talk about the letters Kekua had written him during her illness. He would send a heartfelt letter to the parents of a sick child, discussing his experience with disease and grief. The South Bend Tribune wrote an article describing the young couple's fairytale meeting—she, a Stanford student; he, a Notre Dame star—after a football game outside Palo Alto.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.
Edited by Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on the plus side for a change: he obviously took English class seriously, and created an entire character and an entire life story surrounding her. That takes smarts and creativity!

He created or the media created? If true, it will be really interesting to break down exacxtly what T'eo said vs what the media just ran with based on nothing but other media 'reports'.

He created or the media created? If true, it will be really interesting to break down exacxtly what T'eo said vs what the media just ran with based on nothing but other media 'reports'.

....and he never thought to correct them?

If this is true it is a very bad reflection on him either way.

....and he never thought to correct them?

If this is true it is a very bad reflection on him either way.

No question, I wouldn't argue otherwise. But I find it interesting that our society now appearly believes media has zero responsibility to understand or confirm what they are reporting.

I've never witness such a media darling athlete fall from grace so quickly...it's like his life unraveled at the hands of Alabama...

And as others mentioned...what a massive indictment on the state of media that not one person bothered to fact check this story. Not one!

No question, I wouldn't argue otherwise. But I find it interesting that our society now appearly believes media has zero responsibility to understand or confirm what they are reporting.

This is true. The media has become out of control. They are absolutely reckless in their reporting and none of them are held responsible for their actions. Sure, there are some with an ounce of integrity still, but the "profession" as a whole has sank lower than lawyers (who at least will give you your day in court).

Edited by kas23

.....But I find it interesting that our society now appearly believes media has zero responsibility to understand or confirm what they are reporting.

I find it sad and depressing :(.

For a long time now the media seems more interested in selling a story rather than reporting the news. Ironically they are merely catering to their market IMO.

Wow - just Wow!!!!!

Here is a guy who became a standout LB on his own accord and then participated in a scheme to gain national media attention for his dedication to a sick girlfriend.

It has to be true...there is no SSA record of her death, the name is made up and never was a student at Stanford, fake pic, no car accident, etc.

Here's what happened (IN MY OPINION): This Tuisosopo character became a Te'o follower and gained his trust. Went to him with a plan to increase his popularity and, eventually, his draft stock, by creating this highly athletic but dedicated persona. By creating the girlfriend Twitter account, they would reap the benefits of a big payoff in the end. Manti Te'o agreed with this plan and went along with the initial Tweet to him...when things got out of control and the national media learned of his "love for this girlfriend", Manti was at the point of no return and I would gather Tuisosopo was on the verge of blackmailing him for some cash if Te'o spilled the beans. Therefore, Te'o had no choice but to go along with it.

I am officially off the bandwagon of Te'o until this girlfriend's grave stone is found in CA and until the family of this girl comes forward and says that Te'o was an inspiration to their departed daughter. Absent that...I have one thing to say to Manti Te'o:

Luuuuucy...you got some 'splainin to do

Edited by BringBackFergy

I saw this earlier. Not a good month for him. It appears that he has been exposed as both a player and person. I do not like ND, but I hate to see something like this. It will be interesting to see how he responds to this. Apparently, he declined an invite to the senior bowl, but presumably will be at the combine.

Someone will draft him, wrong or right the NFL selects talent over serious character flaws every time.

IF TRUE - no NFL team is going to touch this guy with a 10 foot pole. Faking a girlfriend and then killing her off with cancer ranks right up there with serious attrocities of man. It speaks clearly to a person's character and the outrage this is going to cause for people isn't going to be worth the grief for a player that came off a horrendous BCS game.

IF TRUE - this guy has made himself a street free agent and the future star of an ESPN 30 for 30 special.

IF TRUE - no NFL team is going to touch this guy with a 10 foot pole. Faking a girlfriend and then killing her off with cancer ranks right up there with serious attrocities of man. It speaks clearly to a person's character and the outrage this is going to cause for people isn't going to be worth the grief for a player that came off a horrendous BCS game.

IF TRUE - this guy has made himself a street free agent and the future star of an ESPN 30 for 30 special.

if true he fell from a mid first rounder to maybe a second rounder. if true his 40 at the combine will still hold more wait than this. a good pr firm will help him sneak through still even when he ends up tarnished by it.

anyone else frustrated that deadspin breaks more major news stories in sports than the major news people do?

i mean, i know its not nice to question stuff like this but EVERYONE reported it, and no one thought to confirm any details?

Edited by NoSaint

the only way this becomes remotely ok is if he turns out to be gay, and this is a cover up for a boyfriend. coming from a mormon family, playing a sport that is vehemetly anti-gay.

anything else is makes this guy a liar and a sociopath. if there is anybody on the coaching staff or in the AD that knows about this, there should be an NCAA sanction

if true he fell from a mid first rounder to maybe a second rounder. if true his 40 at the combine will still hold more wait than this. a good pr firm will help him sneak through still even when he ends up tarnished by it.

We live in the nation of moral outrage. No PR firm in the world is going to be able to cover this stank up. He was already going to fall into the 2nd round based on his BCS performance...now, I can see teams just passing on him til the 4th or 5th.

Remember, they do interview these players. He's moved into Burfect territory. Mental case that might make a good FA signing after the draft.

the only way this becomes remotely ok is if he turns out to be gay, and this is a cover up for a boyfriend. coming from a mormon family, playing a sport that is vehemetly anti-gay.

anything else is makes this guy a liar and a sociopath. if there is anybody on the coaching staff or in the AD that knows about this, there should be an NCAA sanction

right away i was thinking hes probably gay with the wannabe qb buddy

still wouldnt make it remotely ok

right away i was thinking hes probably gay with the wannabe qb buddy

still wouldnt make it remotely ok

I don't know...they could spin it as his struggle of being a gay athlete in the manliest of man sports and the ostracizing that would have happened had his teammates found out. This caused him to concoct the story of a girlfriend so that he could play football without people questioning why a star athlete at a major college has no arm candy.