Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

+1. Either Te'o is the victim of the most elaborate hoax ever played for zero financial benefit, or he's in on it. When you hear hoof beats you should think horses, not magical fairy unicorns from Mars.

Which would make him incredibly stupid given the high odds this would be uncovered. Someone with that calculating a mind is not likely to determine this was a risk worth taking

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To what end? She pretended to date him for years, well before he was making any national headlines, talked on the phone with him, and then pretended to die one day suddenly. He doesn't follow up at all. He never visits her in the hospital either after the crash or while fighting leukemia. Why?

Like I said - devils advocate - to what end did he make it up? For a heisman run 3 years later?

Teo's statement. Sorry if it was posted earlier.

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

+1. Either Te'o is the victim of the most elaborate hoax ever played for zero financial benefit, or he's in on it. When you hear hoof beats you should think horses, not magical fairy unicorns from Mars.

It happens to hundreds of kids - thousands.

Like I said - devils advocate - to what end did he make it up? For a heisman run 3 years later?

I understand Te'o having personal motive to be involved in this hoax, but you proposed that Te'o may have been a victim and the girl was lying and in on the plot. To what end is she lying was the question.

I understand Te'o having personal motive to be involved in this hoax, but you proposed that Te'o may have been a victim and the girl was lying and in on the plot. To what end is she lying was the question.

There is NO GIRL...what part of this don't you guys get?

Didn't want us to draft him, and now I really hope we don't draft him.

Yep, he's appears to be a fraud and I don't want the Bills to draft him, even in the 7th round. A modern day Brian Bosworth.

The funniest part of this thread is all the Manti fans inventing alibis and excuses for him without any factual support whatsoever. Kind of like the way some contributors here twist themselves into pretzels trying to come up with an excuse for Buddy failing to draft a QB the past three years.

Teo's statement. Sorry if it was posted earlier.

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

He further went on to say that he was in his car seat next to JFK when he was shot but still played in his PeeWee football game the next day 'cuz it's what the Prez would have wanted him to do.

Yep, he's appears to be a fraud and I don't want the Bills to draft him, even in the 7th round. A modern day Brian Bosworth.

The funniest part of this thread is all the Manti fans inventing alibis and excuses for him without any factual support whatsoever. Kind of like the way some contributors here twist themselves into pretzels trying to come up with an excuse for Buddy failing to draft a QB the past three years.

or the way people will take any thread on any topic and somehow link it to some point from another topic they want to make

There is NO GIRL...what part of this don't you guys get?

There is a girl. Her name is Reba. The twitter account of Te'os supposed girlfriend uses Reba's picture. The real life Reba says she has never met TE'o. NoSaint offered the possiblity than Reba may be lying and may have actually met and pretended to date Te'o under a false name. Are you saying the photo belongs to no one? It was painted?

What don't you get?

Edited by Jauronimo

There is a girl. Her name is Reba. The twitter account of Te'os supposed girlfriend uses Reba's picture. The real life Reba says she has never met TE'o. NoSaint offered the possiblity than Reba may be lying and may have actually met and pretended to date Te'o under a false name. Are you saying the photo belongs to no one? It was painted?

What don't you get?

Reba isn't her real name. Deadspin used the name Reba to protect her real identity.

What don't you get?

Seth Myers on Twitter: These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.

This is so good.

What don't you get?

That girl explained exactly how the photo got on the account...Te'o's friend...maybe she was in on it but why would she spill the beans now? Bottom line...that dude made up the account...Te'o then pretended to have met her and talked to her family after the death which is impossible...there is almost no way Te'o was hoaxed

In the interview with Gene Wojewski(sp) he claimed she is the most beautiful girl he's ever met. I guess now he never met her. If he is telling the truth he is going to need to provide some proof that he spoke to someone for hours on end and text messages.

The fact that he didn't fess up when caught is particularly annoying.

But I fail to see how it affects his ability to play linebacker in the NFL.

it's not like he was caught with an ounce of Bolivian marching powder or was slamming dog's heads against trees.

I dunno. Boredom? Attention? To screw with someone? People do it more often than we realize - the only difference here would be the victim was a public figure. I'm not saying that's definitely how it went down but that we haven't seen anything ruling it out beyond the girl saying "wasn't me!"

It's even possible teo met "the girl" online and they made up the Stanford story to be cooler - which is shame on him. That could even absolve Reba potentially.

That girl explained exactly how the photo got on the account...Te'o's friend...maybe she was in on it but why would she spill the beans now? Bottom line...that dude made up the account...Te'o then pretended to have met her and talked to her family after the death which is impossible...there is almost no way Te'o was hoaxed

To say "wasn't me!" Once teo turned over the info that it was a hoax potentially? He was the one that brought this to light after all

it's not like he was caught with an ounce of Bolivian marching powder or was slamming dog's heads against trees.

He went to notre dame with it - he wasn't "caught"

IMO most likely scenario hoaxster is gay and used this deception to have the only kind of relationship he could w/ straight males.

I think the joke that the hoax was to cover up his affair with Tebow is equally likley.

How many imaginery tackles has he made ? Not too many real ones against BAMA

To say "wasn't me!" Once teo turned over the info that it was a hoax potentially? He was the one that brought this to light after all

He went to notre dame with it - he wasn't "caught"

actually...dead spin brought it to light...new **** has come to light man..new ****...ND now says he told them weeks ago...after the deadspin article...that's nothing

another reason not to even consider the kid at 8!

Sorry but if his poor play was not enough this should be a character flaw at the very least.

He is NOT a kid. He was the starting MLB for Notre Dame. And he had to resort to the internet to find a gf?? Come on guys.

Reminds me of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where he pulls out the glamour shot of a girl to show Pedro!!

Some of you Teo apologists are cracking me up.............Read the deadspin article a second time if your unclear on whats going on.

Teo met her at stanford and vacationed in hawaii with her...........Wheres the hoax part come in?

Define "her."

Some of you Teo apologists are cracking me up.............Read the deadspin article a second time if your unclear on whats going on.

Teo met her at stanford and vacationed in hawaii with her...........Wheres the hoax part come in?

It would simply require her using a fake name. Nothing more.

I dunno. Boredom? Attention? To screw with someone? People do it more often than we realize - the only difference here would be the victim was a public figure. I'm not saying that's definitely how it went down but that we haven't seen anything ruling it out beyond the girl saying "wasn't me!"

It's even possible teo met "the girl" online and they made up the Stanford story to be cooler - which is shame on him. That could even absolve Reba potentially.

Its true that we cant rule out her involvement. Te'o may turn out to be the victim in a really cruel and elaborate hoax. His father's statements and the fake twitter handles which entered the fray later make it really unlikely in my opinion. I still find it more plausible that Te'o was involved and lean toward the twitter necro-beard angle.

another reason not to even consider the kid at 8!

Sorry but if his poor play was not enough this should be a character flaw at the very least.

He is NOT a kid. He was the starting MLB for Notre Dame. And he had to resort to the internet to find a gf?? Come on guys.

Reminds me of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where he pulls out the glamour shot of a girl to show Pedro!!

hes not even 22 yet. he was exactly one day old when Bills played in their 1st super bowl. hes a kid.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Its true that we cant rule out her involvement. Te'o may turn out to be the victim in a really cruel and elaborate hoax. His father's statements and the fake twitter handles which entered the fray later make it really unlikely in my opinion. I still find it more plausible that Te'o was involved and lean toward the twitter necro-beard angle.

Like I said - playing devils advocate there

But it's certainly possible from what's out there at this moment