Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Does anybody know if his "girlfriend" was public knowledge before she died?

Seems to me that if the first we hear about her publicly is when she dies(September 2012) then the timing is pretty beneficial to Te'o.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that if the first we hear about her publicly is when she dies(September 2012) then the timing is pretty beneficial to Te'o.

They tweeted back and forth publicly - why would media cover her before that?

Either he is a complete friggin liar or he's the biggest idiot on planet muther F'ing Earth. I believe the former conclusion.

Yeah, he's the victim. He's completely innocent. People will say all sorts of things when they realize they're losing millions of dollars as the clock ticks.

Manti, I'm not an idiot. He needs to man up and just come clean. No way would I want this guy leading my defense. Maybe if he just came clean, but not after this **** he's feeding us.

"had"? I currently have 2...difference is they exist, and i see and/or talk to them every day

I'm late to the party but this is some funny ****.

btw, I've had a million imaginary girlfriends...

I wish I could screen cap ESPN. "Te'o's girlfriend did not exist..."

Either he is a complete friggin liar or he's the biggest idiot on planet muther F'ing Earth. I believe the former conclusion.

Yeah, he's the victim. He's completely innocent. People will say all sorts of things when they realize they're losing millions of dollars as the clock ticks.

Manti, I'm not an idiot. He needs to man up and just come clean. No way would I want this guy leading my defense. Maybe if he just came clean, but not after this **** he's feeding us.

If he's caught lying in the statement...can you imagine the mess! Talk about doubling down.

I don't know why....but the media seems quite interested in the love lives of people they talk to.

There are thousands of college football players. Probably twice that many girls claiming to be dating one! Why would they cover a sophomore LB at notre dames gf?

The "relationship" certainly wasn't secret though, even if it was fake.

Edited by NoSaint

There are many scams where people do initiate these fake relationships to get money, or even just for sh*ts and giggles. I don't know if we will get the full or true story, or if we will be able to recognize it if we do, but making assumptions is not the right way to go about this.

I do know someone who went through a similar situation (though in his case it was a 100% online/phone relationship where they never met) and they genuinely were scammed out of some money. Its amazing how easily someone can fall for this stuff when there is an 'emotional' aspect to the interactions.

Admittedly, for Te'o to be innocent, there are a number of things that don't make so much sense, but its not impossible, and I don't feel comfortable condemning him until/unless more information is revealed.

Teó is stuck between an rock and a hard place. Either he admits it was a hoax and lose credibility, status and last NFL draft status or he is a lonely guy who wanted so badly a girlfriend that establishes a relationship with a young lady who created to embarass him. This has totally blown up in his face. I know guys who made up girlfriends backhome when I was in the Army. It was understandable but heck this guy was the big man on campus in High School and college. This is the most baffling thing to me since the out come of the November Presidential election.

There are many scams where people do initiate these fake relationships to get money, or even just for sh*ts and giggles. I don't know if we will get the full or true story, or if we will be able to recognize it if we do, but making assumptions is not the right way to go about this.

I do know someone who went through a similar situation (though in his case it was a 100% online/phone relationship where they never met) and they genuinely were scammed out of some money. Its amazing how easily someone can fall for this stuff when there is an 'emotional' aspect to the interactions.

Admittedly, for Te'o to be innocent, there are a number of things that don't make so much sense, but its not impossible, and I don't feel comfortable condemning him until/unless more information is revealed.

That's exactly what I've been trying to say. There are a few narratives that aren't much more complex (perhaps less) than "he made her up"

Stranger things have happened.

The funny thing is when I heard about it back then I just assumed there was a story going around that I hadn't heard about previously. I'd imagine a lot of other casual observers just thought the same thing.

If he's caught lying in the statement...can you imagine the mess! Talk about doubling down.

I'm really having a problem with the timing of this statement. This story broke late this afternoon. Within hours, he's squealing about being the victim.

Let's say this hoax did occur. In his mind, up until now, he had a girlfriend. In his heart, he was completely convinced with this notion. This was his reality. If someone, some stranger, then told him this wasn't true, why would he automatically believe them? He automatically said "it' was a big hoax. I'm the victim".

If I was in his shoes, I would be filled with disbelief, utterly shocked. I would want to do my own investigation to convince myself of what actually happened. I would want to be 100% sure of what actually is reality before giving a public statement.

There was no notion of denial here. That would have been the more natural human reaction. Unless deep inside he already knew it wasn't true.

I'm really having a problem with the timing of this statement. This story broke late this afternoon. Within hours, he's squealing about being the victim.

Let's say this hoax did occur. In his mind, up until now, he had a girlfriend. In his heart, he was completely convinced with this notion. This was his reality. If someone, some stranger, then told him this wasn't true, why would he automatically believe them? He automatically said "it' was a big hoax. I'm the victim".

If I was in his shoes, I would be filled with disbelief, utterly shocked. I would want to do my own investigation to convince myself of what actually happened. I would want to be 100% sure of what actually is reality before giving a public statement.

There was no notion of denial here. That would have been the more natural human reaction. Unless deep inside he already knew it wasn't true.

He claims to have known since December and that he brought this to the attention of notre dame a month ago. Not having a statement in his pocket would be weird. Odds are deadspin also contacted him along the way (which if he was in on it might be why he contacted notre dame).

Regardless, you need to critically think more if you think that he first found out reading the story with us.