Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Yes because I think your vantage point is incredibly out of touch with what 19 year olds with the Internet get themselves into these days. It's not just possible, it happens with alarming frequency.

not need to attack me on how much I know 19 years old. How do you know I don't know. I can easily say you don't know 19 years old as well based on your posts....

Anyway, there are definitely more questions, like where he sent the white roses to "her" funeral, etc, as SJ Bills Fans brought up? But it's well known about your mad love of Te'o, so I'll just stop here.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he was a victim of a hoax in that someone tricked him into believing he had a girlfriend who in fact did not exist? And someone believes this? How is it possible for someone to be your "girlfriend" if you've never met her? I'm sorry, I can't see any circumstances under which T'eo is anything other than the perpetrator of this hoax.

What do you make of this quote from an ESPN article? This guy from the Cardinals is either lying to protect him or he's nuts, too.

Things just get curiouser and curiouser.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers starTroy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011. "This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa." Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp. "She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... " He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said "No, she is real."

I'm telling you - all it would take is the girl in the photo, and tuiososopo and you could 100% perpetrate what's been alleged including the meetings. It'd be incredibly weird, but no matter what the explanation is going to be incredibly weird.

Everyone is rushing to judgment on this one. We need to hear what Te'o is saying. The Notre Dame AD claims to have known about the hoax played on Te'o since December 26 and they are standing strongly behind him. His statement was broadcast on CBS Sports radio and he was asked how he was sure that the hoax was played on Te'o. He said it followed the arc of "catfishing," that they found Te'o story consistent and that the investigators found internet chatter from the perpetrators about the hoax they were pulling off.

Maybe Te'o is only guilty of being naive. He is young. Playing football at an academically challenging school he doesn't have a load of time to check things out.

I tend to agree with this take...Even though it strikes me as being REAL bizarre that a star athlete's girlfriend is someone he never met...Nevertheless, he could just be naive...

I still don't want the Bills to Draft him...At least in the 1st Round I don't... B-)

Yes because I think your vantage point is incredibly out of touch with what 19 year olds with the Internet get themselves into these days. It's not just possible, it happens with alarming frequency.

Guys (or girls) think they found someone awesome, and start ignoring the lies, inconsistencies, they lie a bit to friends to cover stuff up because they don't want to believe its fake or get made fun of... The only assumption you have to make is that he bought someone's lie - from there the rest can fall into place pretty quickly.

Ill also point out the guy that's allegedly atleast partially behind the profile did this to other people.

Add to that the pressure and spotlight teo was under with fuill time studies @ND, focal point of restoring Legendary program, heisman, playing / practice etc etc ... You can see how he'd have the need for some kind of outlet and convenience of modern communications. This is really nothing other than a high profile kid being thrust in the spotlight and taken advantage of by a skilled (and likely gay) spammer. Teo had plenty of haters beforehand and I'm sure they'll try to take advantage of it now and milk it for all its worth (eg San Jose bills fan), but in the not too distant future I expect this to blow over . Most people have better things to do than focus on something fairly benign like this

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

not need to attack me on how much I know 19 years old. How do you know I don't know. I can easily say you don't know 19 years old as well based on your posts....

Anyway, there are definitely more questions, like where he sent the white roses to "her" funeral, etc, as SJ Bills Fans brought up? But it's well known about your mad love of Te'o, so I'll just stop here.

As a 43 year old, assuming your profile age is true, you didn't enter the dating world in the Facebook/twitter era. That's not attacking you, it's just a whole different beast than what you would relate to based on your 19 year old experiences.

I've also been bashed as one of his biggest detractors before about a week ago so.... Ok?

Edited by NoSaint

So he was a victim of a hoax in that someone tricked him into believing he had a girlfriend who in fact did not exist? And someone believes this? How is it possible for someone to be your "girlfriend" if you've never met her?

I think it is possible and given the way culture is changing, I think it's getting more and more possible.

What is difficult to believe is him meeting 'her' and somehow not being aware that when she didn't exist that she wasn't real.

As a 43 year old, assuming your profile age is true, you didn't enter the dating world in the Facebook/twitter era. That's not attacking you, it's just a whole different beast than what you would relate to based on your 19 year old experiences.

again, your assumptino is wrong that my profile age is true.

I think it is possible and given the way culture is changing, I think it's getting more and more possible.

What is difficult to believe is him meeting 'her' and somehow not being aware that when she didn't exist that she wasn't real.

He probably lied about meeting her. He probably didn't want people to think he was some loser with a girlfriend he never even met. Not the biggest deal.

again, your assumptino is wrong that my profile age is true.

While for the last 20 minutes you've conned me into thinking I was talking to a 43 year old. See how easy that was!

It happens though, seriously. I've seen it, and several others in the thread have. It's not as impossible as many portray

Edited by NoSaint

Think the notre dame investigators are covering for him, or just didnt ask any of that in the last month?

I have zero idea. Are there investigators involved or just the media relations department?

I would say anyone involved in the institution is hopeful that there's a logical explanation. Without really knowing, I doubt Manti is being "grilled" by investigators. More likely in my mind is that a lot of "suspension of disbelieve" is being exercised. A lot of people are in denial, hoping that Manti can defend himself with evidence. The school will not lie on his behalf, in my opinion. He released an ambiguous statement.

That's the extent of their involvement as far as I can tell.

My position on this is very simple.

Manti has been seriously damaged both monetarily and from a reputation standpoint.

He can provide basic evidence to clear his name and prove that he was the victim:

Who picked up Lennay's phone and placed it to her ear when she was comatose in the hospital?

Where are the phone records, the emails, the gifts on birthdays and special occasions that you sent "your girlfriend" who is "the most beautiful person you ever met?"

Who told him that she would breathe more quickly when she heard his voice?

What family members of Lennay's did Manti speak with?

Who informed him of her passing?

Who told him of the funeral arrangements?

Where are all these correspondences?

What did Manti base his belief that this was a real person, a girlfriend, with family members?

Hey, women marry men they've never met after corresponding from prison. Are football players any less foolish. The dude is head's-down in football and a seemingly attractive and attentive woman starts a long-distance relationship with him. They apparently talked a lot (so he reports) and had a strong personal bond (in his mind). I find it both cruel and believable.

I personally know someone who met his future wife online and never actually met her in person until he flew overseas to marry her. Odd but true.

I watched the ND press conference and the ND people seem convinced that after having investigators look into this that Te'O was the victim of a hoax. I'm sure more will be reported in the coming days but I, at least, find it is plausible that things happened as he says they did.