Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

anyone else frustrated that deadspin breaks more major news stories in sports than the major news people do?

i mean, i know its not nice to question stuff like this but EVERYONE reported it, and no one thought to confirm any details?

That's what struck me. Those stories were chock full of details.....how did the writers confirm all those details? I can't believe a college football player is giving dozens of interviews on campus during the week.

As for T'eo's draft stock, if this really was a hoax I agree he'll fall to the 3d round. If Al Davis was still alive you could pretty much pencil him in as a Raider right now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in the nation of moral outrage. No PR firm in the world is going to be able to cover this stank up. He was already going to fall into the 2nd round based on his BCS performance...now, I can see teams just passing on him til the 4th or 5th.

Remember, they do interview these players. He's moved into Burfect territory. Mental case that might make a good FA signing after the draft.

itll be spun as not his fault somehow. he will come out better than any of us initially expect.

ultimately, burfict had issues ON the field and thats the major thing for why he fell.

IF TRUE - no NFL team is going to touch this guy with a 10 foot pole. Faking a girlfriend and then killing her off with cancer ranks right up there with serious attrocities of man. It speaks clearly to a person's character and the outrage this is going to cause for people isn't going to be worth the grief for a player that came off a horrendous BCS game.

IF TRUE - this guy has made himself a street free agent and the future star of an ESPN 30 for 30 special.

I don't know about that. Michael Vick came back.

Also Vontaze Burfict may have set the pathway for him. A reputation as a trouble maker that let him to being an UDFA that became a starting LB on a playoff team,

That's what struck me. Those stories were chock full of details.....how did the writers confirm all those details? I can't believe a college football player is giving dozens of interviews on campus during the week.

As for T'eo's draft stock, if this really was a hoax I agree he'll fall to the 3d round. If Al Davis was still alive you could pretty much pencil him in as a Raider right now.

it seems like a case of the writers assuming it had to be true off ones reports and then parroting it - theres really no other explanation beyond not checking it as thoroughly as needed.

it seems like a case of the writers assuming it had to be true off ones reports and then parroting it - theres really no other explanation beyond not checking it as thoroughly as needed.

Well, I guess we'll have to sit back and see if the hoax story is real or an example of the same phenomenon.

I'd love T'eo in the 3d round!

Well, I guess we'll have to sit back and see if the hoax story is real or an example of the same phenomenon.

I'd love T'eo in the 3d round!

even if its a huge hoax and he was 100% unaware - dont the writers on these have some responsibility to do a simple check on everything?

i mean, if the show/movie catfish has taught us anything, its google image search solves everything on facebook and twitter!

Edited by NoSaint

There's WAY too much evidence linking him to this to play this off as a hoax. He was an integral part of the story, not some victim if the Deadspin story is true.

im actually really curious to see how this plays out - there are a ton of possible directions it may turn from here. if the the girl and guy in the story were in on it together - and he met the girl at the stanford game, its entirely possible that they somehow (and for some reason we dont yet know) were able to pull something over on him. it would take atleast a few people and for it to be well orchestrated though. then when it came time to meet the parents, national spotlight on him they got cold feet and jumped out of the hoax killing her.... possible but itd take a lot and i dont know enough of the details as i only glossed over the story really.

Whoa, whoa whoa, hold on a second here. He's Mormon???

That made me laugh, I guess we will find out what happened as this has gone viral and there is no way to run from it. I read through the article and it is very confusing. There is one part that indicates quotes a source as saying says that he/she was 80 percent sure Teo was in on it.

Could Teo actually be victim of an elaborate hoax......strange things can and do happen.

I am not holding out hope of a spelling mistake and there really was an actual live girlfriend. Could he have been having a fake long distant relationship without even knowing it? Either this is the case or Teo is one crazy dude. I choose to believe the former until it is proven that he was complicit in a massive and elaborate fraud, if only to protect my faith in mankind.

Also because it is very unclear as to what Teo's motive might have been. Win the Heisman? Gain popularity? Stay in the closet? (this would be the only one that might actually make sense)

That made me laugh, I guess we will find out what happened as this has gone viral and there is no way to run from it. I read through the article and it is very confusing. There is one part that indicates quotes a source as saying says that he/she was 80 percent sure Teo was in on it.

Could Teo actually be victim of an elaborate hoax......strange things can and do happen.

I am not holding out hope of a spelling mistake and there really was an actual live girlfriend. Could he have been having a fake long distant relationship without even knowing it? Either this is the case or Teo is one crazy dude. I choose to believe the former until it is proven that he was complicit in a massive and elaborate fraud, if only to protect my faith in mankind.

Also because it is very unclear as to what Teo's motive might have been. Win the Heisman? Gain popularity? Stay in the closet? (this would be the only one that might actually make sense)

without knowing the details - i will say getting duped into a fake online relationship IS something that happens to kids today. it seems like they had real life interaction claimed though, so this would require the girl in the photos to be in on the hoax.

The crazy thing about this story is how many of the details were inconsistent between all of the stories written. And none of them picked up on it?

agreed - thats why ive harped on the media failing MISERABLY on this one.

he didn't know if his "girlfriend" was real or if she was really alive or dead?

LMAO!!!!....UN!@#$INGREAL.

Their "relationship" goes back to 2009. How could he NOT know??

Congress.

This is clearly the first documented case of twitter necro-beard in the United States.

lmmmmmmffffaaaaaaooo

this is great guys.

i want this guy roasted and toasted.

seriously NOOO ONE from the Stanford administration thought to check this out (that she was a student).. As a Te'o fan I really hope he had zero clue about all of this. Its sick how easy it is to manipulate someone via the internet. Just like the show catfish.. Though one would think someone of his caliber would meet someone, ya know in person, but im not here to judge.

There's WAY too much evidence linking him to this to play this off as a hoax. He was an integral part of the story, not some victim if the Deadspin story is true.

Is there? I guess that's the question. Everyone had a story to write about it but where is all the 'direct evidence'?

Their "relationship" goes back to 2009. How could he NOT know??

If you're counting the exchange of twitters to be the start of a relationship, than it's pretty easy to understand. I'd like to know if T'eo actually said he met this girl and if so where and under what circumstances. I always did think the characterization of her as a 'girlfriend' was a blown up by the media. I never heard T'eo refer to her as a romantic partner.

without knowing the details - i will say getting duped into a fake online relationship IS something that happens to kids today. it seems like they had real life interaction claimed though, so this would require the girl in the photos to be in on the hoax.

It certainly does happen. From the story: "In yet another now-deleted tweet, Tei herself reached out to Nev Schulman, star of the 2010 film Catfish and executive producer of the MTV program of the same title. Schulman's movie and show are about romantic deception through fake online personas."

There is no question that Manti was in on this in some way. I think it's almost a given that the story will eventually come out that he is gay, and this was a way of deflecting people from his relationship with the Tuiasosopo guy. At least, that would be the least sociopathic explanation for this. It's possible it's not, and he was duped from the beginning by this guy, but the duration of it would just be too hard to believe.

Wow. Just wow.

Edited by Rubes

the only way this becomes remotely ok is if he turns out to be gay, and this is a cover up for a boyfriend. coming from a mormon family, playing a sport that is vehemetly anti-gay.

anything else is makes this guy a liar and a sociopath. if there is anybody on the coaching staff or in the AD that knows about this, there should be an NCAA sanction

a morman eagle scout playing at a catholic university makes up a story about a girlfriend. it's too easy.

It certainly does happen. From the story: "In yet another now-deleted tweet, Tei herself reached out to Nev Schulman, star of the 2010 film Catfish and executive producer of the MTV program of the same title. Schulman's movie and show are about romantic deception through fake online personas."

There is no question that Manti was in on this in some way. I think it's almost a given that the story will eventually come out that he is gay, and this was a way of deflecting people from his relationship with the Tuiasosopo guy. At least, that would be the least sociopathic explanation for this.

Wow. Just wow.

heres the only way i can piece together that he wouldnt be and itd take A LOT:

1) teo sees girl at stanford game and gives her his number. this is the girl in the photos. she decides lets mess with him.

2) she and friend create a fake account and use her photos (remember some photos were NOT taken from her facebook and she has a strange story about how friend got them that includes "he asked me to take pics with that sign but i never knew what the letters meant" thats weird - shes in on it somehow either way it seems on a gut reaction).

3) they mess with him for a couple years - things get serious he wants her to meet the parents, shes going to have to go to heisman type awards shows potentially - its time to bail out on this lie - they kill her off

4) in the wake of it he realizes things arent right and he reports it at the end of the season - possibly during the down time after classes or during the USC trip he tries to push to visit the grave site for instance.

Did he know the touiossopo character before all this? or was he a hanger on from this girl that he met based on the "relationship?"

Edited by NoSaint

If he was the victim of a hoax, how does he explain the fake Twitter picture and the subsequent tweets?

the only way its a hoax is if the girl in the photos was in on it. if thats true - a lot becomes possible. they could have had all kinds of in real life interaction with her using the fake name.

If he was the victim of a hoax, how does he explain the fake Twitter picture and the subsequent tweets?

How does he explain claiming to have met her in person at Stanford, and in Hawaii, and talking to her on the phone.

the only way its a hoax is if the girl in the photos was in on it. if thats true - a lot becomes possible. they could have had all kinds of in real life interaction with her using the fake name.

I thought it was weird when the girl said she just took the picture for the guy but it would be dumb of Deadspin not to triple check their facts while reporting on a story in which major media companies were terribly duped on.

Also why would a chick even want to mess with a guy who is a potential Heisman candidate and future NFL player who was destined to make millions?

Edited by Erik