Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

Everyone here is forgetting that Smith has had a fairly productive 1 1/2-2 years with the 49ers. Regardless if its the team or coach or what ever it may be. Some other team in need of a veteran QB will be willing to drop a draft pick or 2 on him.

I will guarantee he will not be cut. Some team will trade for him and that's almost certain.

Hopefully it's not us. I'd take him for nothing but I'd never give up a draft pick for him. He's still better than Fitz but not much so I guess I couldn't complain much because I don't actually mind Fitz that much. Still Wouldnt be giving away anything for him though.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone here is forgetting that Smith has had a fairly productive 1 1/2-2 years with the 49ers. Regardless if its the team or coach or what ever it may be. Some other team in need of a veteran QB will be willing to drop a draft pick or 2 on him.

I will guarantee he will not be cut. Some team will trade for him and that's almost certain.

Hopefully it's not us. I'd take him for nothing but I'd never give up a draft pick for him. He's still better than Fitz but not much so I guess I couldn't complain much because I don't actually mind Fitz that much. Still Wouldnt be giving away anything for him though.

Hell, if we gave up a draft pick for Tavaris Jackson, we can certainly give up a draft pick for Smith. I'd certainly give up a 4th rounder for him.

Isn't Alex Smith the reincarnation of Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Let us see:

Alex Smith Lifetime: 59.3% completion, 14,280 yards, 179 yards/game, 81 TD, 63 INTs for a 1.28 TD/INT ratio. Rate of 79.1%

Alex Smith Last 3 years (his best have been the last two but I threw in one additional year to even things out:

62.7% completion, 7251 yards, 207 yards/game, 44 TD, 20 INTs for a 2.2 TD/INT ratio. Rate of ~ 90+ (I didnt have exact calcs)

RF Lifetime: 59.5% completion, 14,336 yards, 193.7 yards/game, 92 TD, 81 INTs for a 1.14 TD/INT ratio. Rate of 76.8%

RF Last 3 years: 60.3% completion, 10,232 yards, 227 yards/game, 71 TD, 54 INTs for a 1.31 TD/INT ratio. Rate of ~82%

So,:

- Alex Smith has improved over the years and his statistical best years have been the last two.

- AS is much better TD/INT than RF over past 3 years

- RF throws for 10%+ more yards/game

- AS has a better QB rating

- AS has a better completion rate over past three years

- RF throws for more TDs/game (1.57 versus 1.29) over past 3 years

RF's air game is much better. But AS is more conservative and has been throwing a lot less picks per TD. None of these prove that AS will give us a dynamic passing offense but he is less likely to make critical mistakes. Also, from what I have seen, he has the arm to make the sideline throws which RF lacks.

Not a long term solution , but I prefer AS over RF just cos he is less likely to lose games for us.

ALex Carder from Western Michigan looks like a good prospect in the lower rounds as does Tino Sunseri out of Pitt. Anyone who thinks we are taking a QB early and starting him, then riding him to the playoffs is out of their mind.

Let us see:

Alex Smith Lifetime: 59.3% completion, 14,280 yards, 179 yards/game, 81 TD, 63 INTs for a 1.28 TD/INT ratio. Rate of 79.1%

Alex Smith Last 3 years (his best have been the last two but I threw in one additional year to even things out:

62.7% completion, 7251 yards, 207 yards/game, 44 TD, 20 INTs for a 2.2 TD/INT ratio. Rate of ~ 90+ (I didnt have exact calcs)

RF Lifetime: 59.5% completion, 14,336 yards, 193.7 yards/game, 92 TD, 81 INTs for a 1.14 TD/INT ratio. Rate of 76.8%

RF Last 3 years: 60.3% completion, 10,232 yards, 227 yards/game, 71 TD, 54 INTs for a 1.31 TD/INT ratio. Rate of ~82%

So,:

- Alex Smith has improved over the years and his statistical best years have been the last two.

- AS is much better TD/INT than RF over past 3 years

- RF throws for 10%+ more yards/game

- AS has a better QB rating

- AS has a better completion rate over past three years

- RF throws for more TDs/game (1.57 versus 1.29) over past 3 years

RF's air game is much better. But AS is more conservative and has been throwing a lot less picks per TD. None of these prove that AS will give us a dynamic passing offense but he is less likely to make critical mistakes. Also, from what I have seen, he has the arm to make the sideline throws which RF lacks.

Not a long term solution , but I prefer AS over RF just cos he is less likely to lose games for us.

Honestly, Smith would look a lot worse playing on Buffalo with one of the worst defenses in the NFL trying to carrying the team. Smith was a caretaker on a team that was built on defense and running the ball. He was Trent Dilfer, Jr. I won't hate the move if he was super cheap but I'd rather just start a rookie. The gap between Fitz and Smith is a lot smaller than people want to admit. We just hate fitz because he's on the Bills. Smith would have been run out of town here as well if he was on the team.

Smith would have been run out of town here as well if he was on the team.

Maybe. I think fans' expectations keep adjusting upwards. When Fitz replaced TrentEdwards, this board (including me) were very happy. “he has guts”, “gun slinger” got people excited. I was happier primarily because he was willing to attempt more throws, read defenses better and not telegraph the next play. Yet, here we are waiting to run him out of town. So, I agree that if Smith was our QB, we would have found his game very conservative and not strong enough to win the big battles. However, I have faith that the next coaching staff will use the available players better and our D will take a big leap upwards with the addition of a couple of LBs. So, in effect we should have mre success with Smith at the helm. This move, should we make it, should not prevent us from drafting the long term answer in this draft or the next. But it buys us time.

Alex Smith = Trent Edwards

Care to support with some data ?

Maybe. I think fans' expectations keep adjusting upwards. When Fitz replaced TrentEdwards, this board (including me) were very happy. “he has guts”, “gun slinger” got people excited. I was happier primarily because he was willing to attempt more throws, read defenses better and not telegraph the next play. Yet, here we are waiting to run him out of town. So, I agree that if Smith was our QB, we would have found his game very conservative and not strong enough to win the big battles. However, I have faith that the next coaching staff will use the available players better and our D will take a big leap upwards with the addition of a couple of LBs. So, in effect we should have mre success with Smith at the helm. This move, should we make it, should not prevent us from drafting the long term answer in this draft or the next. But it buys us time.

Care to support with some data ?

Good points but I think Gailey got the absolute most out of Fitz and probably would have gotten the most out of Smith. Gailey deserved to be fired for settling for Fitz in the 1st place, but he made Fitz a decently productive NFL player which is a minor miracle. I think people are barking up the wrong tree if they think Smith is anything more than just a game manager who is margainly better than Fitz.

Honestly, Smith would look a lot worse playing on Buffalo with one of the worst defenses in the NFL trying to carrying the team. Smith was a caretaker on a team that was built on defense and running the ball. He was Trent Dilfer, Jr. I won't hate the move if he was super cheap but I'd rather just start a rookie. The gap between Fitz and Smith is a lot smaller than people want to admit. We just hate fitz because he's on the Bills. Smith would have been run out of town here as well if he was on the team.

9ers as a team stunk when he came into the league, that's why they had #1 overall pick. And singletary was not a good coach. When harbaugh arrived AS game got a lot better and his record as starter is outstanding. Put fitz in that same situation with harbaugh and I have doubts 9ers are any better than .500.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Good points but I think Gailey got the absolute most out of Fitz and probably would have gotten the most out of Smith. Gailey deserved to be fired for settling for Fitz in the 1st place, but he made Fitz a decently productive NFL player which is a minor miracle. I think people are barking up the wrong tree if they think Smith is anything more than just a game manager who is margainly better than Fitz.

So, you really think Nix should be fired, for settling for Fitz.........

Edited by Adam

Honestly, this isn't too far off. There's a small chance the light went on late for Smith, but I think Harbaugh just made him presentable. He was flat out terrible before him.

Disclaimer: I am NOT promoting Alex Smith

That said, you do know AS had to go through three different OCs and systems in three years, or something like that, right? Lots of young QBs fail under those circumstances; the QBs who succeed tend to either stay around long enough to finally "get it" or they are put into stable organizations from the start and maintain some consistency.

GR reported earlier today (apparently via Ian Rapoport) that the Bills contingent floated the idea of Alex Smith to Ken Whisenhunt at his interview. CBS must be running with this report.

If that's the way we run interviews we're screwed!

You interview to find out what they can do for you NOT so much what you can do for them. Why would we ever "float" a specific player(s) to a candidate especially one that's not even on our roster?

ALex Carder from Western Michigan looks like a good prospect in the lower rounds as does Tino Sunseri out of Pitt. Anyone who thinks we are taking a QB early and starting him, then riding him to the playoffs is out of their mind.

Colts skins Seahawks 49ers are way out of their minds then

Took ponder a Soph season to get in, Dalton's 2-2. Your thinking is old school IMO. Seems like a trend

Edited by Ryan L Billz

If that's the way we run interviews we're screwed!

You interview to find out what they can do for you NOT so much what you can do for them. Why would we ever "float" a specific player(s) to a candidate especially one that's not even on our roster?

"We're really considering making a push for Alex Smith. What do you think of him? Can you build an offense around him? Can you win with him?"

You really don't see the value in that?

"We're really considering making a push for Alex Smith. What do you think of him? Can you build an offense around him? Can you win with him?"

You really don't see the value in that?

If Tony Romo was being released, I'd go all out to get him. I think he could do great things behind our line, particularly if we upgrade WR and TE. He is in a terribly dysfuncational setting, right now

How can we know what quarterback to look for when we don't have a coach, to know what type of offense we will have?

Why are you talking about quarterback prospects when we don't even have a head coach?

Seriously though, if you read through some of these threads or even just think about it a bit, you can figure out the answer to your question.

Alex Smith may not exactly be the perfect melding of Montana, Marino, and Elway, but to compare him, in ANY way, to Fitzpatrick is just stupid.

He is probably the best QB that could realistically be added to the Bills for next season.

Fitzpatrick has a career QB rating of 76.8 and has thrown for 14336 yards and 92 TD's.

Alex Smith has a career QB rating of 79.1 and has thrown for 14280 yards and 81 TD's.

Smith has played on a better team so you could make an argument that Fitz is better because he has performed about the same as Smith with an inferior team. It is just plain STUPID not to compare them.

agreed. hes a solid vet. has good tools (have to, to be drafted that high), and has learned not to make mistakes. we could do far worse as our "hold the seat" guy.

that said, without a HC, this rumor is nothing more than a rumor.

I don't even think qualifies as a rumor. See I can do it too. Tebow will end up in buffalo guaranteed, I mean Vick, or was it Brady Quinn, nope sorry Matt Flynn, or was it Graham Harrell?

I don't even think qualifies as a rumor. See I can do it too. Tebow will end up in buffalo guaranteed, I mean Vick, or was it Brady Quinn, nope sorry Matt Flynn, or was it Graham Harrell?

It was Tarvaris Jackson and that was no rumor!

Edited by beerme1

Fitzpatrick has a career QB rating of 76.8 and has thrown for 14336 yards and 92 TD's.

Alex Smith has a career QB rating of 79.1 and has thrown for 14280 yards and 81 TD's.

Smith has played on a better team so you could make an argument that Fitz is better because he has performed about the same as Smith with an inferior team. It is just plain STUPID not to compare them.

Ummm yeah, you can also make the argument that Fitz and the Bills were playing in a pass happy offense that played from behind on a regular basis. I'm sure that didn't account for any of those numbers.

If it happens, I like it. Smith's stas are skewed having several bad coaches and different coordinators. When having a running game, and a line which we have he played very well his last two years. Did you see how well he played against new orleans and even the giants in the playlets last year.

As far as whiz, he was a winning coach with a QB in Warner and not so much without one. I don't know if I'm sold on him.

This isn't baseball. Having watched both QBs play in the past 2 years tells me all I need to know. BTW, tell us how their stats compare over the last 2 years. Better yet, compare their stats in the playoffs for the past 2 years.

Yeah - and did you see that 66-yard bomb Fitz threw to Spiller last week? What an arm he has!!! :wallbash: Aren't stats awesome?

Smith really struggled for a long time with bad offensive situations, so his career rating isn't just better than Fitz, it's climbing - Fitz is showing no improvement at all, fair enough? No Smith isn't great - he's just significantly better than Fitz.

And yeah - I'd take Romo in a flash over either of them.

Edited by BobChalmers

This isn't baseball. Having watched both QBs play in the past 2 years tells me all I need to know. BTW, tell us how their stats compare over the last 2 years. Better yet, compare their stats in the playoffs for the past 2 years.

I posted those stats a.couple of pages back. Gailey helped Fitz to his best yards/game and TDs per season. But his td/int ratio and QB rating has stayed close to his career averages. Which gives credence to the theory that 'Fitz will be Fitz'. But Smith improved and posted his best performances in the last two seasons

from post #151 in the thread

Part of Smith's appeal to Buffalo's FO is his game management and ability to limit mistakes. By comparison, the last two seasons saw Fitzpatrick in 32 games with passer ratings of 79 and 83, 48 touchdowns, 39 INT's, and 10 fumbles with completion %'s of 62 and 60. Over Smith's last 26 games (16 last year, 10 this year, playoffs not included) he has thrown for 30 touchdowns, 10 INT's, and 8 fumbles. His passer rating last year was over 90.7, and through 10 games this year was 104.1 -- at the time he was 3rd in the league behind only Aaron Rodgers and RGIII. His completion % this season was also over 70%. Smith is the first QB since 2003 to take SF to a playoff game, one in which they hung with and ultimately beat a very high powered Saints team. The Bills honestly think this guy can win them some games within their offensive structure - play to the run, manage the game from the QB position, and limit mistakes... while still drafting a QB.

Edited by rex

I bet the Jets will take a run at him. I think he would do well there.

I posted those stats a.couple of pages back. Gailey helped Fitz to his best yards/game and TDs per season. But his td/int ratio and QB rating has stayed close to his career averages. Which gives credence to the theory that 'Fitz will be Fitz'. But Smith improved and posted his best performances in the last two seasons

Thanks for having posted that. I think it was WEO also who posted, perhaps months ago, that Fitz will always regress to the mean regardless of how well he plays in short bursts. His mechanics are pure garbage and he gets too greedy on third down when all he has to do is dump it off underneath for an easy conversion.