Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

Almost guarantee? Geez. I can 100% guarantee that I have never heard of Mike Freeman until 2 seconds ago. That's what these guys do nowadays to try and make a name for themselves. Almost. 95% done. Sources say with near certainty. Whatever. They always leave an out. If they hit on a guess or two then people start following them. The Bills do not need Alex Smith. They do not need a "caretaker". They do not need a "stopgap". They need to draft a QB early and start him immediately. Half the playoff teams have rookie, 1st or 2nd year QB's starting.

with no hc, the season not finished, trades being months away.... anything beyond "im hearing buffalo is interested, and 9ers are willing to deal- keep an eye out for it" is reckless.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get how reporters can just make stuff up. He can guarantee it based on what? The rank speculation continues....

I have learned you never know what will happen in the NFL until it happens. There are always instances of "surprise" last minute moves and decisions.

However, if Alex Smith were to come to Buffalo, I think it'd be great. I think he could have top 12 numbers, and is the ideal game managing type QB. We are in position to also draft a QB high - If we came out of the first 3 rounds with a QB, LB, and WR, we'd be looking pretty solid, I bet. I can't help but think that is how we go. And, as far a a year to need a QB, I think this is a good one. There is lots of 2nd round talent at QB, and if we have to pay for a QB in F.A., Alex Smith should come less than many other good QB's would.

Almost guarantee? Geez. I can 100% guarantee that I have never heard of Mike Freeman until 2 seconds ago. That's what these guys do nowadays to try and make a name for themselves. Almost. 95% done. Sources say with near certainty. Whatever. They always leave an out. If they hit on a guess or two then people start following them. The Bills do not need Alex Smith. They do not need a "caretaker". They do not need a "stopgap". They need to draft a QB early and start him immediately. Half the playoff teams have rookie, 1st or 2nd year QB's starting.

I'm for this, I just want competition at the position. Luck is the only one w/o it but there's no Luck's in this years draft.

Tannehill beat out Moore.

Wilson beat out Flynn.

Even RG3 had Cousins not that it mattered.

This is the purpose Smith serves to me.

Just wondering if you have seen a lot of Alex Smith pre 2011? He sucks unless a guy named Harbaugh is with him.

Keep Fritz if thats the case.

Agree that he was not good prior to last season not all of it was his fault with the constant change in SF. Give him an offensive system that capitalizes on his strengths and he's a pretty good QB. In the long run you want a QB more suited to a more wide open style that the league is set up for.

In the short term, I'd take him.

Freeman has been around a while. He wrote for the New York Times for a number of years.

As long as Greg Roman comes with him I'd be for it, as Greg turned him into a successful and more importantly a winning QB.

That certainly would be sweet... :thumbsup:

I'm OK with Smith for a couple years...As long as The Bills don't give up too much to get him... B-)

It worked out so great the last time we traded for a #1 draft pick at quarterback and then drafted a QB in the first round; why wouldn't we want to do it again? :doh:

Edited by BRH

It worked out so great the last time we traded for a #1 draft pick at quarterback and then drafted a QB in the first round; why wouldn't we want to do it again? :doh:

Ok, past mistake aside, can you present a logical argument for why Smith + 2nd rounder wouldn't be a good idea? There isn't much in the way of talent at the QB position in either free agency or the draft. So, I don't see why we wouldn't take this stance.

Edit: I think I misread what your point, nevermind. :)

Edited by Dorkington

Yup.

From what I've seen, Smith, while not flashy, manages a game well.

Not flashy but remember the Giants Niners playoff game last year...he took off on a 20 yd bootleg and showed great speed and the other nice play was that 30 yd strike to his TE in the endzone toward the end of the game. I'd take Alex Smith in a heartbeat.