Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered this also.

No offense but saying so isn't good enough. And be nice.

Good stuff.

The most salient question is this:

If he were cut and became a free agent, would he want to sign with a team where he is viewed (again) as a temporary starter to keep the seat warm for a highly-drafted quarterback of the future?

Because at this point he knows how the league works and he has something to prove. If he plays well, then the pick sits. Not every coach does what Harbaugh did (most don't).

Nothing wrong with learning from past mistakes. Not opposed to bringing Smith in and drafting a guy. Just saying you can't bring Smith in to be a caretaker. Bring him in to be the guy or to compete on an equal footing with everyone else.

I agree with the last part, I would bring him in, along with a QB drafted early and let them both compete for the starting job on equal footing. If Smith thinks he is going to just be handed a starting job in the NFL again, he is dreaming. If he beats out the rookie, its his job to eventually lose when the rookie beats him out.

There is no way he stays in SF after this year, not after how he lost his starting job because of injury and not because of performance

I don't think there's a team he could go to where he wouldn't see competition. He's not "big" enough to just plop into a team as the starter now and for the future.

Perhaps.

Possibly he would just go for the money.

If I remember correctly the year he was drafted he was the only choice the 9ers had and even then they were reaching, with thier #1 pick. Back up now or not does Smith's price go up if he's fitted for a super bowl champs ring next month?

As Dave pointed out, no one knew if the Niners were gonna pick he or Aaron Rodgers.

To BHR, I think the Alex Smith scenario involves a free agent signing, not a trade.

Yeah why would want a guy that had a passer rating over 140 in his last few games. We definitely don't want that. Lets reach for a rookie and hope he gets to an 80 rating in his first year.

I think the was 18-19 on MNF this year. 6 foot 4, great touch on the ball, never had good protection in SF.

Thank you for the injection of thought and logic. The NFL's biggest crapshoot is drafting QBs. Why dedicate a high draft pick and three years of development knowing the league-wide success rate is so low. Smith has been very good for two years, would be a dramatic upgrade over anything we've had since Kelly and has proven he can win. Alex Smith is my hopeful long-term solution.

If you don't understand that Alex Smith would be an immediate, massive improvement to this team, you're a fool.

Is he a dream QB for the long term? Of course not!

Can we hypothetically do much better? Of course!

But would he instantly improve our offense? YES OF COURSE HE WOULD.

Get this guy on board if possible, and then continue to pursue the "real deal" solution for the long term.

NP...

But to clarify, it didn't make Drew Bledsoe very happy when we drafted JP Losman. Nor, to go a bit farther back, did it thrill a just-signed Doug Flutie that we turned around, traded for Rob Johnson and then had the head coach proclaim "it's the Wade Phillips and Rob Johnson show." In both cases we ended up with two ineffective, unhappy quarterbacks. You have to bring Smith in to be the guy. And if we happen to draft someone in the third round and he comes in and flat wins the job (like Wilson in Seattle), well, that's okay too. Just don't set it up like "Smith will be our guy until the new guy is ready." That's a recipe for disaster.

I think the big difference here is, I'm not sure if Alex Smith is "automatic starter" status. But maybe he thinks he is... this might be a problem no matter what team he goes to.

Why will the Bills need to sit a rookie QB when all the talented ones started day one this year in their rookie season? Including a 3rd rounder.

Paying a guy 8-9 million to babysit sounds like a typical Bills move and destined to blow up. Smith has more starter value in the market than Fitz will/would.

your right!

And outside of the top 2 picks in the draft who were projected to be some of the best QBs to come out in years, and Wilson, how many of them are lighting up the League?

Tannehill? Wheedon? or going back to last season Ponder (who is on a team that had to be carried, literally, by one of the best RBs the leagues seen in years into the playoffs and was looked at earlier this year as possibly the worst in the starting QB in the league this year)? Locker?

Yeah, all rookie QBs should come into the league and have immediate success, Luck, RGIII & Wilson did it!

If CBS wants some variety, they can all make us CBS employees for the day and we can make up stuff.

I'm sure the Bills have made no decisions on QBs because that will largely depend on the style of the head coach/coaching staff they ultimately hire. They aren't going to make that decision without that input.

For example, in the world of possibilities, Buffalo Bills head coach Chip Kelly has no use for a QB like Alex Smith.

I find the speculation kind of amusing when we don't even have a coaching staff at the moment. I have trouble thinking that this "new direction" the bills are taking would involve trading for a QB without the coaching staffs' opinion.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I think the big difference here is, I'm not sure if Alex Smith is "automatic starter" status. But maybe he thinks he is... this might be a problem no matter what team he goes to.

Thats why he is brought in to battle with a rookie QB drafted early

I wouldn't suggest bringing him in and giving him the starting job just because, he would have to work for it. I don't think he would expect to be given a starting job in this league without some kind of competition. I might give him the early lead in a QB race to start the season, but he would have to actually win the job.

If CBS wants some variety, they can all make us CBS employees for the day and we can make up stuff.

I'm sure the Bills have made no decisions on QBs because that will largely depend on the style of the head coach/coaching staff they ultimately hire. They aren't going to make that decision without that input.

For example, in the world of possibilities, Buffalo Bills head coach Chip Kelly has no use for a QB like Alex Smith.

Then maybe Chip Kelly isn't the right coach for the Bills.

Think about it: which Bills team do you like more in 2013? Fitzpatrick at QB, but the greatest coach of all time on the sidelines? Or would you rather have a solid QB while retaining someone like Chan Gailey?

I'll take the good QB every time.

I agree that there is a nexus between which QB we end up with for next year and the coach we hire. But getting the best QB possible should be the priority over coach, not the other way around!

Thats why he is brought in to battle with a rookie QB drafted early

I wouldn't suggest bringing him in and giving him the starting job just because, he would have to work for it. I don't think he would expect to be given a starting job in this league without some kind of competition. I might give him the early lead in a QB race to start the season, but he would have to actually win the job.

*taps nose*

I find the speculation kind of amusing when we don't even have a coaching staff at the moment. I have trouble thinking that this "new direction" the bills are taking would involve trading for a QB without the coaching staffs' opinion.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

From the rumors though, it sounds like the Bills are asking the coaching candiates their opinion on if they could work with someone like Smith. It may be their plan to draft someone early, and go after someone like Smith to compete for the job.

But this may also be a question they are asking to find out their mentality on the QB position and developing one.

Why will the Bills need to sit a rookie QB when all the talented ones started day one this year in their rookie season? Including a 3rd rounder.

Paying a guy 8-9 million to babysit sounds like a typical Bills move and destined to blow up. Smith has more starter value in the market than Fitz will/would.

your right!

The Seattle Seahawks.

Matt Flynn: 3 years, $19.5 million, $10 guaranteed

Russell Wilson: 3rd round draft pick after the Flynn signing

As I've already said, if Smith is good with the knowledge that he'd be eventually replaced by a drafted quarterback of the future, this would be a great move for the Bills.