Mike Freeman of CBS Almost Guaranteeing Alex Smith Landing in Buffalo

dgr81

is mike freeman credible?

I wondered this also.

mike freeman is one of the most connected nfl reporters there is. you're showing your ignorance.

No offense but saying so isn't good enough. And be nice.

Freeman has been around a while. He wrote for the New York Times for a number of years.

Good stuff.

I'd be fine with Alex Smith on a 2 year deal to keep the seat warm for whatever QB we take in Rd 2 (after getting the best LB in RD1)

The most salient question is this:

If he were cut and became a free agent, would he want to sign with a team where he is viewed (again) as a temporary starter to keep the seat warm for a highly-drafted quarterback of the future?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less what the reporters track record is. The fact is that the 49rs are about to get it on in the playoffs with Kapernick as the starter. I can think of a number of scenarios where unloading Smith in the offseason may not make sense based on how their playoff run goes. Until the 49rs season is over Smith's future is as murky as ever. If Kap gets knocked out of a game and Smith delivers, things can change. If Kap gets knocked out of the game and Smith looks terrible, that too could change things. Too many what ifs to bet either way in my opinion. At least for now anyway.

It worked out so great the last time we traded for a #1 draft pick at quarterback and then drafted a QB in the first round; why wouldn't we want to do it again? :doh:

yeah, cause if you do something once, in the past and it doesn't work out the way you want it to, you should never do it again.

Guess the bills shouldn't draft a QB in the first ever again, and definitly not any Tackles/o-linemen

Smith has a Rob Johnsonesque sack rate - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm.

That shouldn't happen with a run-heavy team that's often been in the lead the last two seasons and which has a good offensive line. There's a reason why he was benched, and Harbaugh is a smart coach. He has some attributes - low INT rate, for instance, but buyer beware.

The most salient question is this:

If he were cut and became a free agent, would he want to sign with a team where he is viewed (again) as a temporary starter to keep the seat warm for a highly-drafted quarterback of the future?

I don't think there's a team he could go to where he wouldn't see competition. He's not "big" enough to just plop into a team as the starter now and for the future.

Smith has a Rob Johnsonesque sack rate - http://www.pro-footb...S/SmitAl03.htm.

That shouldn't happen with a run-heavy team that's often been in the lead the last two seasons and which has a good offensive line. There's a reason why he was benched, and Harbaugh is a smart coach. He has some attributes - low INT rate, for instance, but buyer beware.

I'll take someone who takes sacks vs someone who throws an obscene amount of interceptions. We don't exactly have a whole lot of choices here.

Another # 1 overall. We're making up for prior draft mistakes (if nothing else).

If I remember correctly the year he was drafted he was the only choice the 9ers had and even then they were reaching, with thier #1 pick. Back up now or not does Smith's price go up if he's fitted for a super bowl champs ring next month?

Yeah why would want a guy that had a passer rating over 140 in his last few games. We definitely don't want that. Lets reach for a rookie and hope he gets to an 80 rating in his first year.

I think the was 18-19 on MNF this year. 6 foot 4, great touch on the ball, never had good protection in SF.

Ok, past mistake aside, can you present a logical argument for why Smith + 2nd rounder wouldn't be a good idea? There isn't much in the way of talent at the QB position in either free agency or the draft. So, I don't see why we wouldn't take this stance.

Edit: I think I misread what your point, nevermind. :)

NP...

But to clarify, it didn't make Drew Bledsoe very happy when we drafted JP Losman. Nor, to go a bit farther back, did it thrill a just-signed Doug Flutie that we turned around, traded for Rob Johnson and then had the head coach proclaim "it's the Wade Phillips and Rob Johnson show." In both cases we ended up with two ineffective, unhappy quarterbacks. You have to bring Smith in to be the guy. And if we happen to draft someone in the third round and he comes in and flat wins the job (like Wilson in Seattle), well, that's okay too. Just don't set it up like "Smith will be our guy until the new guy is ready." That's a recipe for disaster.

yeah, cause if you do something once, in the past and it doesn't work out the way you want it to, you should never do it again.

Guess the bills shouldn't draft a QB in the first ever again, and definitly not any Tackles/o-linemen

Nothing wrong with learning from past mistakes. Not opposed to bringing Smith in and drafting a guy. Just saying you can't bring Smith in to be a caretaker. Bring him in to be the guy or to compete on an equal footing with everyone else.

I'll take someone who takes sacks vs someone who throws an obscene amount of interceptions. We don't exactly have a whole lot of choices here.

I've long been of the belief that the strip sack is a far worse outcome than the INT given that the INT often functions as a short to medium punt. Sacks almost always lead to punts too, so in a sense they're turnover plays. Avoiding sacks is a key responsibility of a QB. Often, a QB can't avoid them given a lousy line or a great rush, but when you look at those high numbers, you have to conclude that it's often on the QB.

Alex Smith would be an upgrade and I can't think of an NFL situation where he would come in and be named the opening day starter without competition. The Bills may be the only ones that can offer something close.

'We are going to draft a QB in the first or second round, we are going to make you our opening day starter as we don't envision the draft pick to be NFL ready for at least a year, it will be your job to lose. Here is a 2 year deal, front loaded, what do you think?"

Assuming the Bills do not bring back Fitz, this is likely the conversation they are going to have with every FA QB I can think of.

If I remember correctly the year he was drafted he was the only choice the 9ers had and even then they were reaching, with thier #1 pick. Back up now or not does Smith's price go up if he's fitted for a super bowl champs ring next month?

It was a choice between him and Aaron Rogers, and when Rogers wasn't drafted he dropped like a stone to the #23 spot. People worried that he was another Jon Tedford product.

I like this move--assuming it happens, of course, as long as we take a QB in round 1, 2 or 3. Smith is a clear upgrade to Fitz, and will alleviate the pressure to reach for a QB with our first pick. That is an important consideration this year, when there seems to be no consensus regarding the top 3-5 guys. This could be a draft in which there is a lot of value to be had at QB after round 1--despite NoSaint's opinion that all good QB's are drafted in the first round.

Nothing wrong with learning from past mistakes. Not opposed to bringing Smith in and drafting a guy. Just saying you can't bring Smith in to be a caretaker. Bring him in to be the guy or to compete on an equal footing with everyone else.

Why will the Bills need to sit a rookie QB when all the talented ones started day one this year in their rookie season? Including a 3rd rounder.

Paying a guy 8-9 million to babysit sounds like a typical Bills move and destined to blow up. Smith has more starter value in the market than Fitz will/would.

It was a choice between him and Aaron Rogers, and when Rogers wasn't drafted he dropped like a stone to the #23 spot. People worried that he was another Jon Tedford product.

your right!