And the search for the Bills MLB begins

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morrison to take MLB snaps Sat

Discuss.

I personally think Barnett is the better MLB and the smarter football player. He was a beast for us last year.

Perhaps the Bills feel Barnett will still adjust and make a better Will than anyone else on the team and Morrison doesn't have the speed for the Will slot?

sorry but i wish we had Keuchly over Gilmore. Ron Brooks and Rogers couldve been enough for us. I think Carder will slide into that spot midseason. If Shep cant play then Buddy's drafting record takes another hit. Dammit.

sorry but i wish we had Keuchly over Gilmore. Ron Brooks and Rogers couldve been enough for us. I think Carder will slide into that spot midseason. If Shep cant play then Buddy's drafting record takes another hit. Dammit.

For not drafting a player we had no chance at drafting? :rolleyes:

Your statement completely ignores all logic and rational thinking.

Could also mean Morrison is seriously on the bubble and they want to see him take some live snaps in the middle to see if he has a spot on this team.

But it don't look good for McKillop.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Problem with this is that maybe Nix and Gailey would have liked Kuechly over Gilmore, too. Too bad the Bills didn't draft high enough to get him. What exactly can you blame them for, here?

I think this is just bad news for McKillop. I'd be surprised if Morrison becomes the starting MLB before the season starts.

That's what I think. There are several positions that the team wants to keep an extra player at. Because Scott really only plays half of one position, if the team could afford to keep only six on the active roster (Barnett, Shep, Moats, Morrison, Bradham and Carder) and still feel comfortable with any of the three starters going down that they have an adequate back-up, they may just do it. If I had to predict, I think they keep 7 though.

I don't from everything I'm hearing about Gilmore it's hard for me to believe Keuchly would have been better. Yeah, may have been better at LB, but what would our secondary have looked like. Plus am tired of the Bills using high draft picks on white MLB's that never work out. Gilmore also played agaisnt much better competition too in college so I'll take an all SEC draft . (or close too it) I think in the long run, and even short run wil lbe the better pick.

I completly agree with you.. Gilmore seems to be a great addition to the team but someone that is not quite as useful as a keuchly would be but when it comes down to it we didn't even have that option....

"For not drafting a player we had no chance at drafting? :rolleyes:

Your statement completely ignores all logic and rational thinking."

Maybe we should have traded up for him and not have Cordy Glenn.....since we are speaking in total hypotheticals since Kuch was already gone?

Relax

Discuss.

I personally think Barnett is the better MLB and the smarter football player. He was a beast for us last year.

Perhaps the Bills feel Barnett will still adjust and make a better Will than anyone else on the team and Morrison doesn't have the speed for the Will slot?

I dont Hopeful. Respectfully.

Morrison is as intelligent and maybe a better MLB in the 4-3. Its a tough call. Nick has more speed, Kirk has more mass. But i consider them equals in play recognition and response. I think Kirk has the run side pluses. So for the first two downs depending, Morrison or Mckillop or Sheppard.

This is getting a little wild. and fun.

K-9 is probably closest to the pin though. seems the coaching staff is getting serious about winning. Lets hope they get it right in time.

For not drafting a player we had no chance at drafting? :rolleyes:

Your statement completely ignores all logic and rational thinking.

Uh Yeah I followed every second of the draft. I never said we had a chance at drafting him, only that I wished we had him. When Miami took Tannehill I thought Panthers were going Coples and we had the Keuk. Reminded me of the time we were one pick away from Patrick Willis and the niners grabbed him.

As said already, since we didn't actually have a chance at Kuekly, we don't really have an arguement. I'd also like to point out that a shut down corner is harder to find than an above average to good LB and make no mistake about it, Gilmore is a shut down corner and Kuekly is just a good LB. Good corners are also much more expensive than even really good LBs. In the end, we can find good quality starting LBs in any first round or most 2nd and 3rd rounds. It locks up what we have now and then we can go LB and WR heavy next year and be set.

I dont Hopeful. Respectfully.

Morrison is as intelligent and maybe a better MLB in the 4-3. Its a tough call. Nick has more speed, Kirk has more mass. But i consider them equals in play recognition and response. I think Kirk has the run side pluses. So for the first two downs depending, Morrison or Mckillop or Sheppard.

This is getting a little wild. and fun.

K-9 is probably closest to the pin though. seems the coaching staff is getting serious about winning. Lets hope they get it right in time.

Well, I hope you're right. I consider Barnett a better "student of the game" and more disciplined, but maybe that's tarring Morrison with the brush of the team he played on.

I agree Morrison has more mass and less speed than Barnett, which is I'm sure why they're not looking at him for WLB.

I gotta ask if you're right, howcomeisit Morrison couldn't crack the roster and see the field last year? But that was then, this is now and we're back to the 4-3 D he grew up in.

I don't from everything I'm hearing about Gilmore it's hard for me to believe Keuchly would have been better. Yeah, may have been better at LB, but what would our secondary have looked like. Plus am tired of the Bills using high draft picks on white MLB's that never work out. Gilmore also played agaisnt much better competition too in college so I'll take an all SEC draft . (or close too it) I think in the long run, and even short run wil lbe the better pick.

:thumbsup:

Well, I hope you're right. I consider Barnett a better "student of the game" and more disciplined, but maybe that's tarring Morrison with the brush of the team he played on.

I agree Morrison has more mass and less speed than Barnett, which is I'm sure why they're not looking at him for WLB.

I gotta ask if you're right, howcomeisit Morrison couldn't crack the roster and see the field last year? But that was then, this is now and we're back to the 4-3 D he grew up in.

it was that goldarned 3-4 experiment. and then they decided to get Sheppard the experience, they were looking at this season at that position by then.

I feel pretty strong about this. but when Moats was moved up over Kirk i did consider my position again.

I have not read or seen any thing negative about him. as you well know preseason is about seeing what the kids can do. They already know the limitations of the old guys Ha!

Edited by 3rdand12

Nothing about this article implies that they are looking to replace Sheppard in the middle. It only says Morrison will be getting rep's in the middle versus Pittsburgh. I think this is more of an indication that they are not entirely happy with McKillop and/or Carder (I suspect McKillop), and want to get Morrison some experience in case of an injury to Shepp.

Im pissed we didnt draft Cam Newton !!! First Newton now Keuchly...damnit buddy !!!

I'm not sure you'd feel that way watching Brady eat Drayton Florence alive again.

I think you nervous nellies may be overreacting. This may be nothing more than getting Morrison snaps at a different spot to get some fresh reps in the middle.

I don't understand the title of the thread? Search for backup MLB?

Me neither. I've googled it all day and so far NOTHING about Major League Baseball gone missing. Why the search then? What does it mean?

GO BILLS!!!

The coaches can't even decide where to play these guys. As a group they are just horrible, maybe bottom 5 certainly bottom 10. No difference makers anywhere. Barnett is too old, Sheppard too small, and Moats probably can't do anything but rush the passer which is not what 4-3 OLB's are asked to do. If Sheppard flames out that will leave Dareus, A. Williams, and Spiller as the only Nix draft picks worth a dam. A no-brainer DT pick that initially was asked to play DE, a #2 CB that may be better suited for safety, and a luxury RB. Wow...

The coaches can't even decide where to play these guys. As a group they are just horrible, maybe bottom 5 certainly bottom 10. No difference makers anywhere. Barnett is too old, Sheppard too small, and Moats probably can't do anything but rush the passer which is not what 4-3 OLB's are asked to do. If Sheppard flames out that will leave Dareus, A. Williams, and Spiller as the only Nix draft picks worth a dam. A no-brainer DT pick that initially was asked to play DE, a #2 CB that may be better suited for safety, and a luxury RB. Wow...

His draft record is not as strong as some people pretend but he has done a good job with free agents, IMO.

I just don't see a strong MLB candidate on the roster right now. It's got to be a top priority come draft day.

in all honesty this really is a non-issue....the Bills need just 2 LBs to play....call him whatever you want but Bryron Scott plays quite a bit as a safety/LB or they put in a slot 3rd CB...or they bring in a 5th DL...either way...they only need 2 LBs to play.

Not seeing too much in the posts so far that I would agree with.

My take is that this is a sign that the Bills saw what we saw against Minnesota… Sheppard struggling.

Morrison is fighting for the strong side spot and they want to give him reps at MLB because he's played well there in the past, they might need him to play their in the future, and it gives him greater value to the team as a whole, being able to man two positions.

I think that giving Morrison reps at MLB has zero to do with McKillop. I believe that they simply don't want to entrust the starting MLB spot to a rookie quite yet.

To summarize: Bad sign for Sheppard. Good sign for Morrison. Irrelevant for McKillop.

in all honesty this really is a non-issue....the Bills need just 2 LBs to play....call him whatever you want but Bryron Scott plays quite a bit as a safety/LB or they put in a slot 3rd CB...or they bring in a 5th DL...either way...they only need 2 LBs to play.

This is a good point, and it's been making me feel better about the LB situation.

To summarize: Bad sign for Sheppard. Good sign for Morrison. Irrelevant for McKillop.

Yep.

Why are you sorry? Keuchly was not available.

Discuss.

Just put in McKillup, he 's got the experience and the nasty and would be an upgrade.

This has nothing to do with Shepherd. Moats has outplayed Morrsion for the outside spot and they are trying to see what Morrison's value is. Can he back up both spots? If not, perhaps they keep McKillup.

I'm not sure Moats has outplayed Morrison. Tough to say.

Morrison seems to hit his run fits very well to my eye.

And I think they keep McKillop regardless.

I'm not sure Moats has outplayed Morrison. Tough to say.

Morrison seems to hit his run fits very well to my eye.

And I think they keep McKillop regardless.

Really just going by the fact that Moats seems to have landed ahead of Morrison on the depth chart. You may be right about their relative play - I cannot say I have paid that close attention to it. I do think this is more about Morrsion than Shepperd. They have a surplus of LBs and they need to figure out who can play where. They are going to end up cutting someone they would like to keep at this position. Fans seem to be very down on Shep, but I do not think the coaches are.

Discuss.

I think Barnett is a great LB for us, but at 228 lbs I don't think he would be right at MLB in this system. You need to be able to shed blocks, and be stout at the point of attack. Something neither he nor Carder can do. Their game is speed and coverage.

Morrison and McKillop are really the only guys other than Sheppard on the roster that could play MLB IMO. The other nice thing about Morrison is that he already has success and experience at the position. He's a solid tackler, and while not spectacular, I'm sure he could get the job done behind our D-line.

One thing is for certain though, Sheppard has looked absolutely awful so I'm glad to see the coaches recognizing that and trying to adjust.

Side note: If it wasn't for Moats's surprisingly good play at OLB so far this camp, this move wouldn't be possible. I was a big Moats detractor, but so far he is proving me wrong.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Really just going by the fact that Moats seems to have landed ahead of Morrison on the depth chart. You may be right about their relative play - I cannot say I have paid that close attention to it. I do think this is more about Morrsion than Shepperd. They have a surplus of LBs and they need to figure out who can play where. They are going to end up cutting someone they would like to keep at this position. Fans seem to be very down on Shep, but I do not think the coaches are.

This is more about Sheppard than anything... He has been simply awful, no other way to describe it. I think this is a sure sign that the coaches are worried about it, why else would you give another potential starter reps at a new position right before the season starts?

Also, I think Moats has been by far the best LB so far this off-season. He looks fast, powerful and seems to finally be grasping the LB position. He has even looked good in coverage. A complete 180 from what we have seen in the past. He is also looking like a tremendous 4-3 Blitzer, something Morrison is not. I think Morrison is decent, but Moats has outplayed him, and every other LB to this point.

I certainly think LB is our biggest weakness so far on D, so hopefully they get it figured out. It would be a shame to waste our great pass rushing D-line, because teams can just run all over us.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Agreed.

And no - I'm not blaming Nix for anything - I was just bummed the moment Carolina grabbed him, and as good as Gilmore has been, I am still bummed Keuch didn't fall one more spot for us.

Gilmore is an upgrade at CB, but we have some depth there (I thought Brooks was the steal of the draft.) and we needed the MLB more.