And the search for the Bills MLB begins

Agreed.

And no - I'm not blaming Nix for anything - I was just bummed the moment Carolina grabbed him, and as good as Gilmore has been, I am still bummed Keuch didn't fall one more spot for us.

Gilmore is an upgrade at CB, but we have some depth there (I thought Brooks was the steal of the draft.) and we needed the MLB more.

I liked Keuchly too, but like Newton, Willis, and all of the other guys it would have been nice to have...They were drafted BEFORE we picked, moot point.

Even if we had drafted Keuchly, then we would have a big hole at CB with McKelvin probably starting. People would have been saying, aww man, we should have taken Gilmore....The grass is always greener...

Plus, the Bills thought (mistakenly) that they already had their "franchise" MLB in Sheppard....whoops....

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a positive for Moats more than a knock on Shep...Does Morrison make the team?

Go Bills!!!!

Morrison is virtually guaranteed to make the team, his salary is minimal, and he is the only LB on this team with real 4-3 MLB experience. I think the thought behind this thread is that it appears Morrison is being looked at as a possible replacement for Shep, who has struggled significantly so far.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Plus, the Bills thought (mistakenly) that they already had their "franchise" MLB in Sheppard....whoops....

Please stop using the word "franchise" for "starter." Being a starter doesn't make you franchise. No one was making a bust of Sheppard for Canton yet.

PTR

Please stop using the word "franchise" for "starter." Being a starter doesn't make you franchise. No one was making a bust of Sheppard for Canton yet.

PTR

Please stop putting words in my mouth, and read posts more carefully. I never said Sheppard was good (I've been down on him throughout this thread), let alone that anyone was making a bust for him in Canton.

There was a reason why I quoted "franchise" (clearly you couldn't pick up on that). The coaching staff has been in love with Sheppard, and have been treating him as the Bills new "franchise" MLB, that was my point. Hence their appointing him to be the starter at the end of last season despite doing nothing to prove he could start in the NFL. I never said I thought he was a "franchise" anything. Personally I don't think Shep will be in this league for very long without some major improvement.

Also, I'll use whatever words I like in my posts, deal with it.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Please stop putting words in my mouth, and read posts more carefully. I never said Sheppard was good (I've been down on him throughout this thread), let alone that anyone was making a bust for him in Canton.

There was a reason why I quoted "franchise" (clearly you couldn't pick up on that). The coaching staff has been in love with Sheppard, and have been treating him as the Bills new "franchise" MLB. Hence their appointing him to be the starter at the end of last season despite doing nothing to prove he could start in the NFL. It was to signify that others have treated him as a "franchise" type player. Personally I don't think Shep will be in this league for very long without some major improvement.

Also, I'll use whatever words I like in my posts, deal with it.

You just did it again! No one every called Sheppard a franchise MLB so I have no idea where you are coming up with that statement. He was the starter. Nothing more. Only in TBD land do we see such stuff.

PTR

You just did it again! No one every called Sheppard a franchise MLB so I have no idea where you are coming up with that statement. He was the starter. Nothing more. Only in TBD land do we see such stuff.

PTR

I'll do it as often as I like.

However if you focus, read carefully, and stop inferring things. You will realize that I said the coaching staff has been treating Sheppard as their franchise MLB. I never said, that anyone else said that.

I already explained where I came up with that. The coaching staff's god like treatment of Sheppard, as a guaranteed starter since he was drafted. Again, just take a little more time to read what I have already stated, and all your questions will be answered...

Also it's clear you have some sort of allergic reaction to the word franchise, I'm sorry for your affliction.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Uh Yeah I followed every second of the draft. I never said we had a chance at drafting him, only that I wished we had him. When Miami took Tannehill I thought Panthers were going Coples and we had the Keuk. Reminded me of the time we were one pick away from Patrick Willis and the niners grabbed him.

What you said is that Buddy's draft record would take a hit. Which is bull ****, since he couldn't have drafted Kuechly, and also because by all accounts Gilmore is looking very good for a 1st year starter at CB.

However if you focus, read carefully, and stop inferring things. You will realize that I said the coaching staff has been treating Sheppard as their franchise MLB. I never said, that anyone else said that.

I already explained where I came up with that. The coaching staff's god like treatment of Sheppard, as a guaranteed starter since he was drafted. Again, just take a little more time to read what I have already stated, and all your questions will be answered...

Also it's clear you have some sort of allergic reaction to the word franchise, I'm sorry for your affliction.

Is this Crayonz? Because I just got a peanut M&M stuck in my nose laughing.

Were you listening to the dude's story? He agrees that the Bills had pegged Shep as the starter. He's taking issue with you saynig that the Bills had pegged him as a "Franchise" MLB, because generally use of the term "Franchise" implicates top 5 or at least top 10 at the position. I don't think anyone in the Bills organization was counting on him to be that.

sorry but i wish we had Keuchly over Gilmore. Ron Brooks and Rogers couldve been enough for us. I think Carder will slide into that spot midseason. If Shep cant play then Buddy's drafting record takes another hit. Dammit.

The guy the could have gone after was Lofton out of Atlanta in FA.

But as others have pointed out, Keuchly was not an option since he was gone before they picked. And a trade up probably would have cost Buffalo thier starting left tackle.

Agreed.

And no - I'm not blaming Nix for anything - I was just bummed the moment Carolina grabbed him, and as good as Gilmore has been, I am still bummed Keuch didn't fall one more spot for us.

Gilmore is an upgrade at CB, but we have some depth there (I thought Brooks was the steal of the draft.) and we needed the MLB more.

So the whole crystal ball thing.....suppose Brooks ended up being crappy?

Really just going by the fact that Moats seems to have landed ahead of Morrison on the depth chart. You may be right about their relative play - I cannot say I have paid that close attention to it. I do think this is more about Morrsion than Shepperd. They have a surplus of LBs and they need to figure out who can play where. They are going to end up cutting someone they would like to keep at this position. Fans seem to be very down on Shep, but I do not think the coaches are.

I gotta agree with him MD...I thought Morrison played better then Moates when he was with the 1s. It could be one of those situations where Moates is doing better in the practices......but maybe Morrison isnt a practice player....just like Trent Edwards is a awesome practice player but you dont want to let him on the team bus after a real game.

If there is any worry IMO it is that we dont seem to have our starters sorted out yet at LB except for Barnett.......its still a little early to worry about this.

I personally dont have a problem with this as they are the coaches and know whats going on with the team...while the rest of us are armchair QB's? This includes you.

I dont see any coaches talking about Sheppard in the same ways they are talking about guys like Mario, Kyle, etc etc. They simply gave him a vote of confidence.....nothing wrong with that.

I'd like to see Tank Carder become the starter by week 8.

I don't get this. He seems like a great guy who could be a good player, but he hasn't shown anything that points to him being ready to start. Somehow, the name, Tank, seems to have qualified him for the hall of fame though.

By the way....I was also a big Kuch fan. There were literally 3-4 guys I could live with in the 1st round (it was interesting that we got TWO of them) but im telling you right now......we would be nervous about our DB situation if we DIDNT have Gilmore.....McKelvin still sucks, MgGee is iffy, Justin Rogers has been hurt, Williams has been up and down,and we would be screaming for Brooks to start out of desparation.......

Instead....we have Gilmore.....who has that position pretty much locked down.....and we are bitching about another position. Do you see how that works?

I personally dont have a problem with this as they are the coaches and know whats going on with the team...while the rest of us are armchair QB's? This includes you.

I dont see any coaches talking about Sheppard in the same ways they are talking about guys like Mario, Kyle, etc etc. They simply gave him a vote of confidence.....nothing wrong with that.

You don't have a problem with what? Morrison getting snaps at MLB? Neither do I, I think it's a great idea and agree with what the coaches are doing now.

And yes obviously we are all armchair QB's, none of us work for or in the NFL to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure what your point was with that statement...

Of course they aren't talking about Shep like that NOW, since he has been struggling. Go back and look at what Gailey, Nix, and Wanny were saying about Sheppard during and right after the season. Heaping on praise that he didn't deserve. There is no greater evidence of that than the fact that they simply handed him the starting job, as the unquestioned starter for this year with no thought of competition.

OOOhhhhhhhh I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Kelsay isnt a starter anymore. Spiller has started to look ok. We've gotten rid of the rest of the riff-raff. So we needed a new TBD Whipping Boy and Sheppard is our guy!

Carry on then, carry on.

Dr I usually agree with most of what you say, but come on, you've watched Shep play to this point in his career right? You honestly don't have any concern?

I watched Poz in the Jags game, and I found myself wishing Sheppard played more like Poz.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

PTR

easy PTR!, i got the gist of what he was saying. why the angst? i do not agree with you most of the time because of your wilson ass-kissing, but realize you are informed and respect that. but you are quick on the draw to criticize, not sure why you must do that, but i think sheppard has been a bust, got the point of the "franchise" thing. Edited by dwight in philly