Vince Young to address the media at 1pm

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is VY in town for the voluntary workouts?

I actually hadn't heard of the voluntary workouts but I did hear he was in town as of last night. When to w/o start? All I heard was about the rookie camps which are over now.

Big mistake - this gives the media a chance to stoke the QB controversy fires. VY has a history of problems like this. Why give him a platform to start a new rivalry with Fitz. Let him come in quietly - learn the playbook - get to know his teammates - earn eveyone's respect - resurrect his career!

But NOOOO, we need to give the podium & a presser to the 2nd or 3rd string QB??? Big mistake.

Now the media will stoke the fires (and this part I love) - they will say the FANS are the ones making it a controversy!!

Based on the Press Conf - I would say the Bills and the media are duplicitous here - not the fans.

I hope it is a non-event. I hope VY can resurrect his career here. But let's give him time to do it!

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Big mistake - this gives the media a chance to stoke the QB controversy fires. VY has a history of problems like this. Why give him a platform to start a new rivalry with Fitz. Let him come in quietly - learn the playbook - get to know his teammates - earn eveyone's respect - resurrect his career!

But NOOOO, we need to give the podium & a presser to the 2nd or 3rd string QB??? Big mistake.

Now the media will stoke the fires (and this part I love) - they will say the FANS are the ones making it a controversy!!

Based on the Press Conf - I would say the Bills and the media are duplicitous here - not the fans.

I hope it is a non-event. I hope VY can resurrect his career here. But let's give him time to do it!

I also don't like the idea of a presser for a 2nd string qb.

I don't disagree that this could fuel fan & media reaction, but the Bills are being careful here. According to BB.com the Bills are making VY available to the media sometime around 1pm. More like an after practice 5 minute session. We'll see if it turns into more...

is it an actual press conference or is the team just making him available to the media like they are required to do after practices and such?

A full scale press conference would be a bit goofy for a 2nd string QB, but in the end I guess I just don't care. The only way there is any sort of QB controversy is a.) if Fitz plays badly (and if this happens we are in trouble anyway) or b.) if Young gets a chance to play and plays ridiculously good (and I just don't see the downside here)

It sounds like just him standing around for five minutes answering a few questions rather than a press conference, but we'll see. That's what making him available to the media means, and since it would be their PR department announcing the availability, one would think they know the difference. ;) I don't mind that if it happens, but he shouldn't be having a press conference, IMO.

I think the NFL issued a memo requiring all teams to have at least 10 press conferences between May 1 and July 20.

It was either VY or the press conference announcing that beer venders with more than 5 year experience will get a $0.15 per hour raise this year.

Yeah, I don't see anywhere that says there will be a press conference. He was tweeting yesterday asking fans where the best places to eat in Buffalo were. So my guess is he's here to put in some work and that when he's done working, the media wants to talk to him.

But really? the media can't talk to the guy without people freaking out? He's a newly signed player! We generally get a sound bite from any newly signed player. As a matter of fact, Tyler Thigpen had a Press Conference when we signed him. So it's okay for him but not for Vince?

I swear to god, some of you will only be happy if he's locked in a chest and only seen if Fitz gets hurt and they open it. I really think a lot of you are making a big deal out of nothing. He's saying all the right things and I expect him to continue to at 1 PM. They're keeping him on a short leash.

RELAX!

the bills are making Vince Young available to the media, like they do any other acquisition. perhaps, not on the scale of Mario Williams but, they're making him available now that he's town. what's wrong with that?

don't you want to hear what he might have to say about this new chapter of his career, and how he intends to approach it. geez, you'd swear some of the posters in this thread don't understand how this business works. they would prefer that Vince Young be kept under wraps because the media might stir up a controversy, and suggest it's a mistake to have him even speak to the media because well ...

what a bunch of baloney. he's a grown man, accustomed to dealing with the media and i'm sure capable of handling himself. The Bills have signed him, they've said he's going to compete for the backup job. OK, fine. let's see what his thoughts are.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

It sounds like just him standing around for five minutes answering a few questions rather than a press conference, but we'll see. That's what making him available to the media means, and since it would be their PR department announcing the availability, one would think they know the difference. ;) I don't mind that if it happens, but he shouldn't be having a press conference, IMO.

im fairly sure that its just a standard issue few minutes with the new guy in town. if it were anyone else signing, we would be chirping on here about how hes not getting any attention and we would love to hear from them. especially a guy thats been big in the nfl, and has 2 pro bowls - "the media doesnt even respect us enough to do an interview?!?!?!"

it doesnt sound like a full blown press conference as much as a "we know that people want to talk so were throwing out a bone" and may even be required availability from the nfl.

the bills are making Vince Young available to the media, like they do any other acquisition. perhaps, not on the scale of Mario Williams but, they're making him available now that he's town. what's wrong with that?

don't you want to hear what he might have to say about this new chapter of his career, and how he intends to approach it. geez, you'd swear some of the posters in this thread don't understand how this business works. they would prefer that Vince Young be kept under wraps because the media might stir up a controversy, and suggest it's a mistake to have him even speak to the media because well ...

what a bunch of baloney. he's a grown man, accustomed to dealing with the media and i'm sure capable of handling himself. The Bills have signed him, they've said he's going to compete for the backup job. OK, fine. let's see what his thoughts are.

jw

exactly - i think pretty much every signing goes through this. just most signings the media doesnt really care to come talk to. it makes sense that theres mutual interest in a situation like this for everyone to chat a bit.

Edited by NoSaint

jw

Ryan's fanbois are antsy, is all.

This could also be influenced by Chan getting tired of having to talk to the press so much about Young. Having one player dominate the press conversations (especially a back-up) will make a head coach start to feel less like a head coach and more like an agent/middleman.

This could also be influenced by Chan getting tired of having to talk to the press so much about Young. Having one player dominate the press conversations (especially a back-up) will make a head coach start to feel less like a head coach and more like an agent/middleman.

i doubt that has anything at all to do with it.

i think its a standard issue - "were getting a lot of requests for interviews. we get that hes new in town, so come chat with him this afternoon" type of situation here.

Bills should be careful about letting him talk. Last year he meant to compliment his new Philly teammates by saying he felt like he was on a dream team, and that was it. Media jumped on it, blew it up, took it out of context and it was a curse for the Eagles all year.

jw

Absolutely. Like it or not, VY is one of the highest profile players on the team right now (certainly on a national basis) and I want to hear what he has to say. :thumbsup:

Bills should be careful about letting him talk. Last year he meant to compliment his new Philly teammates by saying he felt like he was on a dream team, and that was it. Media jumped on it, blew it up, took it out of context and it was a curse for the Eagles all year.

yes, Vince Young's commment solely ruined the Eagles season. there was nothing more to it. he, himself, on his own, with one statement made in July, doomed the season. there was nothing else to do with it, or any blame that deserved to be directed at the other 52 players who got off to a bad start, or any questionable coaching decisions or anything else.

Vince Young, by simply referring to the Eagles as a Dream Team, cursed the entire season.

and yes, you're absolutely right, there should be a media relations person standing immediately next to Vince Young with a muzzle -- or how about an electric prod -- at the ready should he even hint at saying anything of note.

:wallbash:

jw

Prediction: "I'm here to help the Bills in any way I can."

I plan on working hard and am excited to contribute to such an up and coming team.

Think anyone asks the talley question? That could be fun!

I didnt realize VY played LB last year for the eagles

yes, Vince Young's commment solely ruined the Eagles season. there was nothing more to it. he, himself, on his own, with one statement made in July, doomed the season. there was nothing else to do with it, or any blame that deserved to be directed at the other 52 players who got off to a bad start, or any questionable coaching decisions or anything else.

Vince Young, by simply referring to the Eagles as a Dream Team, cursed the entire season.

and yes, you're absolutely right, there should be a media relations person standing immediately next to Vince Young with a muzzle -- or how about an electric prod -- at the ready should he even hint at saying anything of note.

jw

Before he noted how much talent they had acquired, they were obviously a mentally tough group of team players that were looking forward to the underdog role.... after his comment.... Well.... We all saw. You missed that?

Oh wait, they acquired a bunch of "me" guys and the flop wasn't thaaaat surprising.

Edited by NoSaint

JW

I do think the image of somebody standing next to VY with a prod, jamming him every time he strays from the script is pretty funny one.

Vince Young: "I am anxious to learn even more to make my game even better"

Vince Young: looking forward to working with Bills QB coaches on fundamentals to fine tune his technique.

Young with his experience in the NFL: "You can make the game fun" with ability to understand defenses/protections

Young on Gailey: "he understands his players, and he knows what he's doing."

Young on backup role: "All you can do is come in and work. You always have to be ready because you never know what's going to happen"

Young: "As the years go on, guys get more mature. That's the biggest thing I've learned."

Young: "It's not about me...I just want to go out and play football and help out any way I can."

Edited by iommi

Vince Young: looking forward to working with Bills QB coaches on fundamentals to fine tune his technique.

Young with his experience in the NFL: "You can make the game fun" with ability to understand defenses/protections

Young on backup role: "All you can do is come in and work. You always have to be ready because you never know what's going to happen"

Young: "As the years go on, guys get more mature. That's the biggest thing I've learned."

Young: "It's not about me...I just want to go out and play football and help out any way I can."

What a me first Gloreee boy! We're doooomed!

Thanks for the recap. Wouldn't it be refreshing though, if players had more candor? Like VY came in firing from day one,

"I am here to be a Hall of Famer, and if I can't be, I want to be a distraction any way I can to deflect any reference to my failure"

"I don't care how good Fitzpatrick is, I'm better."

"Teams don't win football games. Teams lose football games when other players don't catch balls I throw that would make the team win."

"I can't wait to work with Coach Gailey and Coach Lee, they seem like great guys and they are at the point in their careers where they need me to make them look like they know how to coach."

"I look around and I like our WR corps, but then again, we could go sign Alex Tanney to play WR and I would get him the ball in the endzone."

"Yes, my career has not been what other people have expected out of me, but a LOT of people have been seriously fukking up my success up to this point."

"The Bills have great fans but you're all a bunch of sometimes lovable losers. I will make you into intolerable winners."

Stuff like that would really be refreshing for someone being made available to the media.

Young later added these comments:

"We have to play them one day at a time."

"I'm just happy to be here and I hope I can help the club."

"I just want to give it my best shot and the good lord willing everything will work out."

jw

Exactly, thank you. This is not a big deal. And I dont really see the signing in general as a big deal, other than it is a great move to address backup QB.

1337100643[/url]' post='2467203']

jw

Who the hell do you think you are, bashing posters for their views? A pen in your hand is NOT mightier than the sword, scribe. Obviously, your 'insights' don't serve you well because, yes, your cohorts jumped all over VY's Dream Team comment to the point where even the lowly Bills were stoked to measure themselves against the media-hyped Super squad. Every team the Eagles faced brought their A-game. Here's another reality check for you: Young has all but ruined a pro football career through carelessness and belligerence to authority figures. Then he walked out on his team and reportedly -probably by you- tried to commit suicide. Yet another failure on his part. Neither you or I are in his head, so we don't know specifically what his intentions are or where he's 'at'. But we know he considers himself a starter and that, coupled with consistent immaturity, has many Bills fans wary. IMO, giving the 'backup QB' face time with the press is a questionable choice.

Lighten up.

Who the hell do you think you are, bashing posters for their views? A pen in your hand is NOT mightier than the sword, scribe. Obviously, your 'insights' don't serve you well because, yes, your cohorts jumped all over VY's Dream Team comment to the point where even the lowly Bills were stoked to measure themselves against the media-hyped Super squad. Every team the Eagles faced brought their A-game. Here's another reality check for you: Young has all but ruined a pro football career through carelessness and belligerence to authority figures. Then he walked out on his team and reportedly -probably by you- tried to commit suicide. Yet another failure on his part. Neither you or I are in his head, so we don't know specifically what his intentions are or where he's 'at'. But we know he considers himself a starter and that, coupled with consistent immaturity, has many Bills fans wary. IMO, giving the 'backup QB' face time with the press is a questionable choice.

Lighten up.

holy irony batman

settle down, I don't think media attention will influence Chix into a "QB controversy". Now, if VY comes in, and out performs Fitz.... Well that's another story.