RD 1, Pick #10: DB Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

SDS

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kuechly would have been worth trading-up to grab. He's a leader, a motivator, and a self-starter. Kuechly would have also helped out alot against the run. But fine, he was out of play.

-What about Floyd? what's wrong with having a big, physical reciever to get you tough yards? Can a CB put up points on a regular basis? I think not. 7 out of our 9 picks last draft were defensive, Yet our D still sucked Ly.

You need to score points to win games, people. I like the Gilmore kid, but morale on our offense requires the same boost our defense got in the off-season. -IMO buddy has to very aggressive with his next picks.

I wouldn't have minded a Floyd pick too much, but I do have to say I would've been concerned about his off the field incidents. Even from a talent perspective, I haven't been blown away by what I've read about him, either. So while I would've been ok with it, I just don't see it as a clear-cut better choice than the top remaining corner.

I expect to see a lot of focus on offense as the draft goes on, with the possible exception of an LB they really like, and most likely a late DB pick (DB haters, steel yourselves to get worked up into a frenzy about our 7th-round pick).

Admittedly, I really wanted Floyd or LK from BC. I didn't think corner was as big of a need. but apparently, the Bills did and it does make sense. McGee can't stay healthy, Florence is 32, and McKelvin has been inconsistent at best. There have been some great stats regarding Gilmore: 18% completion % against him and 24 tackles for losses, which is insane for a corner.

So while I would have prefered floyd, Williams and Gilmore are big, physical corners who could be a very good tandem until we let them walk in FAcy!!! :flirt:

I was just pointing out that no one considered McLovin a reach or potential bust at the time. If anything it reflects badly on the Kiper types who fawn over middling players.

The Buddy Nix rule is: 1) 3-4 year starter, 2) play in top conference 3) dominate. Think of the heartbreak we could have avoided if the Bills followed that obvious guideline?

But, no. People swallow the hype and You Tube highlight

videos and you wind up with Aaron Maybin.

Gilmore passes the Buddy test.

PTR

Boom exactly right. Buddy knows what he is doing. We just got a great player. I'm really excited to be good again. About time!!!

I truly cannot imagine how some people can be this upset with the pick.

Great player, fills a need, solid kid, etc. We now have 2 young, big, physical, capable corners in a league at which CB is clearly a premium position. What some people refuse to acknowledge is that the failure of past picks at DB is not the results of a poor positional investment, but rather the results of the specific player not living up to expectations. If Gilmore becomes a top 10 CB in the league, then it's going to be a huge asset for the team and a fantastic pick. The bottom line is that your top draft picks need to become great players regardless of position. That's how the good teams do it...period.

Nobody questions why Pittsburgh traded up 15 spots to pick Troy Polamalu, because he became a primier player. Nobody questions why the Jets moved up 11 spots to pick Revis for the same reason. These kinds of arguments are nothing more than pure and simple whining.

If you don't like the player, fine, say so. Criticizing the position is--in my opinion--ignorrant.

Great player, fills a need, solid kid, etc. We now have 2 young, big, physical, capable corners in a league at which CB is clearly a premium position. What some people refuse to acknowledge is that the failure of past picks at DB is not the results of a poor positional investment, but rather the results of the specific player not living up to expectations. If Gilmore becomes a top 10 CB in the league, then it's going to be a huge asset for the team and a fantastic pick. The bottom line is that your top draft picks need to become great players regardless of position. That's how the good teams do it...period.

Nobody questions why Pittsburgh traded up 15 spots to pick Troy Polamalu, because he became a primier player. Nobody questions why the Jets moved up 11 spots to pick Revis for the same reason. These kinds of arguments are nothing more than pure and simple whining.

If you don't like the player, fine, say so. Criticizing the position is--in my opinion--ignorrant.

Agreed- he probably is the best corner on the team right now, which is a sad statement, considering he hasn't played a down at this level yet. We really needed and still need corners.

don't know a thing about him...not happy with this pick...rather had gone with floyd, martin or reiff :wallbash:

+1 I was going to post this when I signed in here but this sums it up. Hoping for offense, Floyd at WR was there, and Reiff. I have a feeling Floyd is going to be nasty. (good) Never heard anything about Gilmore. He didnt crack the slightest smile when it was announced. Maybe he was as surprised as I was. His highlight tape didnt look special. Surprised with who was left that we didnt trade down at the least. I feel we made a mistake passing on Floyd. I just have that feeling.

I'm high on Gilmore. Part of it is trusting Buddy (even though I've been hard on him at times, he knows how to draft), the other part of it is that he has had a long track record of success. Just because the Bills missed on Whitner and McKelvin does not mean that every DB they draft will be a bust. Note that McKelvin played in the Sun Belt Conference, which as we all know, is no where near as strong as the SEC. Also, McKelvin only started his junior and senior year. In fact, a lot of his succes and recognition came from being a great kick-off/punt returner. That definitely played a role in inflating his value.

Gilmore, on the other hand. He started his entire caeer and played against the top competition in college football week in and week out. That, to me, is important.

Did you see Palamalu's film out of college? Fantastic, just like he is today. Flying up and down the field, always around the ball. No way Id compare the two. It does fill a need I agree, but he wasnt worth a 10th.

+1 I was going to post this when I signed in here but this sums it up. Hoping for offense, Floyd at WR was there, and Reiff. I have a feeling Floyd is going to be nasty. (good) Never heard anything about Gilmore. He didnt crack the slightest smile when it was announced. Maybe he was as surprised as I was. His highlight tape didnt look special. Surprised with who was left that we didnt trade down at the least. I feel we made a mistake passing on Floyd. I just have that feeling.

Disagree with this. Could not be more happy with the Bills 10th overall pick! Gilmore was projected to go at number 8 overall in nearly every mock draft. We totally got a steal. Not only is this guy a honor student and a 3 year starter (Even in his freshman year) But he has guarded Julio Jones and AJ Green and did a great job at the college level against these WR who have been amazing at the NEXT level. Whoever is disappointed, should not be...The Bills made there selection within 10 seconds... It was an obvious choice! Now LT/LB/WR in the next few rounds! GO BILLS!!!

If you have not heard about Gilmore you were not following the 23532532 mock drafts which had Gilmore from 7th to 9th overall...

Did you see Palamalu's film out of college? Fantastic, just like he is today. Flying up and down the field, always around the ball. No way Id compare the two. It does fill a need I agree, but he wasnt worth a 10th.

Pol is a safety not a db.... :wallbash:

As I said, criticize the player...fine, everyone has their own opinion. Criticize the pick for being a DB...ignorrant as far as I'm concerned. Nobody can tell me that a great DB doesn't make an impact on your defense.

Pol is a safety not a db.... :wallbash:

I hope this is sarcasm...DB means "defensive back", which encompasses cornerbacks AND safeties...sheesh.

On the other hand, if it was sarcasm, then well played.

Things I like about him: very smart kid and football player. Loves the game. Watches a ton of film. Loves to play physical. Practiced every day against Alshon Jeffrey and even said they got in a couple fights because they fought so hard against each other.

Incredibly, he was a great high school QB and played defense too but never played CB. Graduated and left high school early so he could attend spring practice at SC even though he was recruited to Alabama and Clemson amongst others. And then learned to play CB because he thought he didnt have an NFL future on offense and started as a true freshman on South Carolina in the fall. That's pretty amazing.

As I said, criticize the player...fine, everyone has their own opinion. Criticize the pick for being a DB...ignorrant as far as I'm concerned. Nobody can tell me that a great DB doesn't make an impact on your defense.

I hope this is sarcasm...DB means "defensive back", which encompasses cornerbacks AND safeties...sheesh.

On the other hand, if it was sarcasm, then well played.

:thumbsup:

Things I like about him: very smart kid and football player. Loves the game. Watches a ton of film. Loves to play physical. Practiced every day against Alshon Jeffrey and even said they got in a couple fights because they fought so hard against each other.

Incredibly, he was a great high school QB and played defense too but never played CB. Graduated and left high school early so he could attend spring practice at SC even though he was recruited to Alabama and Clemson amongst others. And then learned to play CB because he thought he didnt have an NFL future on offense and started as a true freshman on South Carolina in the fall. That's pretty amazing.

id be curious about pairing a guy like alshon back up with him again - the two would almost certainly be matched up in practice in buffalo on the fringe trying to earn a starting spot role. would it be a positive, or a negative to have the same guy from the last several years across from him during the week. would familiarity slow down the growth, or would it help them develop together perhaps

Edited by NoSaint

id be curious about pairing a guy like alshon back up with him again - the two would almost certainly be matched up in practice in buffalo on the fringe trying to earn a starting spot role. would it be a positive, or a negative to have the same guy from the last several years across from him during the week. would familiarity slow down the growth, or would it help them develop together perhaps

I wouldn't think it would be much of a negative because I think that the coaches would have him covering everyone, not just matched up against Jeffrey. I don't think the Bills are going to draft Jeffrey though, but who knows.

Winfield is a hard hitter, which is fine against the run. But he wasn;t the best cover guy, which is what you have to have if you pick CB in top 10.

That's why he's been in the league for 14 years! Ohh, I thought they paid him a huge contract in Minnesota because they just liked to overpay for poor cover guys :doh:

Edited by BmoreBills

Winfield is a hard hitter, which is fine against the run. But he wasn;t the best cover guy, which is what you have to have if you pick CB in top 10.

Like a TE has to play 2 roles (receiver and blocker), so does a good corner (cb & lb); this guy fits the bill.

Yeah, but you were loving Whitner too. And JP, and every other stupid selection the Bills have ever made. But cope the way you choose. It's OK. Wave pom poms with Promo. Ultimately, being happy is a better state mind than accepting reality I suppose.

Um ... Stephon Gilmore is not the same person as Donte Whitner, who by all accounts was overdrafted. No one is saying that about Gilmore.

Bill: Have you watched *any* games of his to back up your kneejerk opinion? Do you think that Champ Bailey was a bad pick? Charles Woodson? Patrick Peterson?

The Bills' defense has problems that they only partially addressed by beefing up the front seven. Remember that Minnesota has one of the elite pass rushers in the game (Jared Allen), but they couldn't stop the pass because their corners were so horrible. The same went for Houston in 2009-2010: good pass rushers but horrible corners = historically bad pass defenses. Minnesota's pass defense last year was the worst in NFL history, and I for one think that they made a huge blunder in taking an LT over Maurice Claiborne. Time will tell, of course, and I suspect that you disagree with me.

Edited by dave mcbride

I wouldn't think it would be much of a negative because I think that the coaches would have him covering everyone, not just matched up against Jeffrey. I don't think the Bills are going to draft Jeffrey though, but who knows.

for sure - i just didnt think of a wr/cb combo to go to the same team 1-2 off hand. they wouldnt always be matched up, but as far as pairings, itd probably be a pretty common one as they would progress the depth chart (run with the 2, split time, run with 1s) similarly (in an ideal world) and be at rookie camps, and mini camp drills in similar pairings.

was more of a random thought out loud than a concern though. depending on the guys it could make them ultra competitive, or on the flip side maybe not quite as serious id imagine... just depending on personalities or the relationship.

Edited by NoSaint

That's why he's been in the league for 14 years! Ohh, I thought they paid him a huge contract in Minnesota because they just liked to overpay for poor cover guys :doh:

Didn't say he was a "poor cover guy", jus that he is far better in run coverage. Next you'll tell me that Nate Clements has to be one of the best CBs in the history of the league because he was paid so much and has been in the league so long.

Don't smack your head so hard....

Anyone and everyone criticizing the pick needs to also include exactly who they wouldve picked instead. Please enlighten us and list your lower talent players so we can laugh at your desperate reach...

I liked Floyd, but obviously Nix and Whaley did not. Or at least didnt like him as much. And sorry to break it to some of you, but they know WAY MORE than anyone here. No matter how many magazines you've read, or times you thought you were smarter than past regimes.

i was smarter than past regimes. No question about it. It remains to be seen with this one.

Anyway, absent a trade down I would have taken either Ingram or OT. Reason is you can NEVER have enough pass rushers (See Giants, Umenyoira goes down, JPP, who many said NYG did not need at the time, steps up and becomes best rusher) and the Bills have consistently neglected LT. We need to solidify the OL. We saw what Fitz did last year with cracked ribs.

I just don't believe in taking any secondary players in Round 1. I believe you can find them later in the draft.

I'll admit - I didn't love how he shot up the boards but the more I dig the more I like it. Still see a couple things he will need to iron out, but the kid does play fearless which I like in a corner. The fact that he's stayed healthy despite not hiding from contact is a great perk too.

I'll admit - I didn't love how he shot up the boards but the more I dig the more I like it. Still see a couple things he will need to iron out, but the kid does play fearless which I like in a corner. The fact that he's stayed healthy despite not hiding from contact is a great perk too.

I was in the same boat. I wanted Floyd and didn't want a corner in the 1st. But the more I hear, the more I like it. Between Williams and gilmore, we might have the most physical tandem of corners in the entire NFL. Our soft defense has suddenly gotten hard.

What I like is that he is a very smart kid, with just a tremendous attitude from everything written about him. He wants to be the best player he can be. He's nasty on the field and quiet off it. When you combine that with having great physical tools, good size, and natural football instincts (playing both ways in high school, being a great running QB and leading his team to a 15-0 record as a senior, the Mr. Football type) and only 21 years old, he just has tremendous upside. He's already good (not that he is great at everything, no one is) and could be great.

What I like is that he is a very smart kid, with just a tremendous attitude from everything written about him. He wants to be the best player he can be. He's nasty on the field and quiet off it. When you combine that with having great physical tools, good size, and natural football instincts (playing both ways in high school, being a great running QB and leading his team to a 15-0 record as a senior, the Mr. Football type) and only 21 years old, he just has tremendous upside. He's already good (not that he is great at everything, no one is) and could be great.

Based of the gilmore pick and the last couple of drafts, I think Martin is top of the Bills' wish list. They are really targeting high character, leadership, and smart football players.

In all honesty....Stephon Gilmore reminds me of a bigger Antoine Winfield.....and I miss the heck out of the that guy.

This. Loved Antoine when he was here and would watch the Vikes just to see him play. I wish Kuechly would have fallen, but if Gilmore plays anything like Antoine, I'll be very pleased with this pick.

In all honesty....Stephon Gilmore reminds me of a bigger Antoine Winfield.....and I miss the heck out of the that guy.

He hits hard, but he' only 6 feet, 190. He's 15 pounds less than Williams. Essentially the same size as McKelvin.

If Gilmore has Antoine Winfield's career, nobody will complain about this pick.

If he has Winfield's career, he'll be gone in 5 years...