RD 1, Pick #10: DB Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

SDS

The people who hate this pick are hilarious. So we should have picked Reiff who doesn't translate to an NFL left tackle. Could have taken Floyd but WR is super deep. Are you all going to be pissing and moaning if they get guys like Lavonte David and Brian Quick in the next two rounds? Christ, we took the best player available at a need position. How can that be bad?

Apparently taking a corner in the top 10 is always and in all ways a horrible decision, regardless of the caliber of the actual player.

I'm ambivalent on the pick, but the bad DB picks of the past aren't a reason to knock this one. Like Ramius said earlier, the problem with picking McKelvin, and Whitner not quite to as large a degree since he has proven to be a multi-year starter, was that the players were not good enough to justify the pick. I'm just glad they didn't take one of the remaining tackles based on thinking they needed to.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people kill me....WE PLAY BRADY TWICE A YEAR! Also, everyone is now saying the NFL is a pass first league. McGee has missed how many games in the last 2 years? McKelvin is just horrible and is in the last year of his contract this year and wont be a Bill next year and Florance is on the wrong side of 30.

We NEEDED to nake this pick and time will prove how good a pick this was. Sure, it may not be flashy but it is rock solid

After watching that video about halfway though, I was struck by one thought.

This is Antoine Winfield.

I didn't see cb as big of a need as alot of people and not overly happy with the pick, but if he turns out to be In Winfields' class i will be extremely happy, he is one of my all time favorite bills players.

This pick was telegraphed by Nix for a while now. Yesterday a reporter asked him if he took into consideration that WRs generally don't make an impact as rookies and take a year to develop in the NFL and really come in year 2 and he said "we're looking for an impact player." He said he believes Hairston can start for us. So no Reiff or Floyd. I think it came down to Kuechly, Barron and Gilmore for us

I'm all for the Bills picking corners in the first round, just to watch you go ballistic. :lol:

:beer:

C'mon, credit where its due, no? Am I not doing better than I was with Whitner and McKelvin. Again, I am more sad than angry. But the fact is, this is yet another top resource down the toilet.

Some people kill me....WE PLAY BRADY TWICE A YEAR! Also, everyone is now saying the NFL is a pass first league. McGee has missed how many games in the last 2 years? McKelvin is just horrible and is in the last year of his contract this year and wont be a Bill next year and Florance is on the wrong side of 30.

We NEEDED to nake this pick and time will prove how good a pick this was. Sure, it may not be flashy but it is rock solid

Seriously!!! Did everyone forget about how Welker like broke receiving records against us last year?

I'm glad Carolina picked Kuechly, I didn't want him at all.

I would have preferred Floyd, but Gilmore was a solid pick. Some people can't see past the "DB in the first round" thing and I understand the sentiment, but relax. This was a need, the truth is that all of our CBs are either bad, injury prone, old, or unproven. With Gilmore and Williams we potentially have two big young corners well suited to defending in the modern NFL. There was no one clearly better and only a few other players of arguably similar caliber. As a matter of fact this guy's stock had shot so far up that some scouts had started putting him ahead of not just Kirkpatrick, but Claiborne. At the very least I'm really glad that we're continuing to pick D from the SEC with outstanding measurables.

I don't doubt Nix's talent evaluation skills. But I am still not sold on his team-building prowess. Take linemen and pass rushers high, they make the skill position players less important and less expensive. If Nix thought we were losing games last year because our corners were hurt, and not because we were getting blown off the line on defense, I'm sorry but he's nuts.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

1335488782[/url]' post='2447587']

Can't accuse of Nix of trying to be sneaky. There's no one he talked up more than Gilmore. Feel a little disappointed. Would've liked this pick if were able to trade back a couple spots and get an extra pick.

Oh, hell. Here we go........

Thanks for playin', noob.

Widely considered a cant miss NFLer. The ole ball coach wasnt the only reason the Cocks won the SECE.

BPA and another new Day 1 starter on Defense. I see nothing negative in this pick.

Welcome to Buffalo, Stephon Gimore!

C'mon, credit where its due, no? Am I not doing better than I was with Whitner and McKelvin. Again, I am more sad than angry. But the fact is, this is yet another top resource down the toilet.

My only problem with them drafting corners high is that they always let them go in FA. This front office has been focused on keeping its own. If hes as good as advertised how is this a waste? Teams are in nickle and dime more than ever. CBs are more important than ever. We just got a good one.

I don't doubt Nix's talent evaluation skills. But I am still not sold on his team-building prowess. Take linemen and pass rushers high, they make the skill position players less important and less expensive. If Nix thought we were losing games last year because our corners were hurt, and not because we were getting blown off the line on defense, I'm sorry but he's nuts.

We adressed pass rushers in FA, and there were no OLs worth the #10 spot (except kalil). So we are supposed to reach just to take a fat guy?

Edited by Ramius

Well the line had already been addressed and then some in free agency. There was no chance in hell they we're taking a lineman. So why not shore up the back end of the D?