Bills may already be trying to trade up into the end of Rd 1

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-4430.html

*It’s now starting to look like the second tier of quarterbacks – Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton and maybe Ryan Mallett – could start flying off the board as early as the tenth pick, with the Redskins (they allegedly have a thing for Locker), Dolphins and Jaguars being candidates to start the ball rolling. As the draft has drawn nearer, these players have become hotter and hotter. A number of teams already having investigated moving up from high in the second round into the first to land a quarterback. Among those teams that have made calls are the Jaguar, Titans, Bills and Vikings.

Frankly, this terrifies me. It would be just like the Bills to blow their prime second round pick (and another pick or two) to climb back into Rd 1 to take Ponder or one of the other second-tier developmental QBs. Why do this? The team has so many needs, and if they don't pull the trigger on Gabbert or Newton, it would be ridiculous to start dealing away picks to land someone who won't start for several years, if ever. I'm really becoming concerned that the Bills are going to come out of Rounds 1 and 2 with Von Miller and Christian Ponder and fewer draft picks than they started with. Not good.

Also: here is an article suggesting that Ponder doesn't project too well:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/introducing-lewin-career-forecast-v20

Edited by Coach Tuesday

It terrifies me too. I am all for trading down if a good opportunity presents itself, but no way in hell do I want to trade up. We need all the help we can get and cannot afford to give away extra picks

The Bills do this every single year. They trade up or try to every stinking year, regardless of who is available and the scenario. Considering the Bills are the worst drafting team in the NFL, and there was a report that they really like Locker, I can see us betting the farm to move up for the future bust.

But whoever wrote this article isnt very smart, he thinks Cam Jordan may be making a switch to 34 rush LB. How do people like this get these gigs anyways?

The Bills do this every single year. They trade up or try to every stinking year, regardless of who is available and the scenario. Considering the Bills are the worst drafting team in the NFL, and there was a report that they really like Locker, I can see us betting the farm to move up for the future bust.

But whoever wrote this article isnt very smart, he thinks Cam Jordan may be making a switch to 34 rush LB. How do people like this get these gigs anyways?

Well if they Traded back into the 1st Round to Draft Locker that would answer any lingering questions I had about Buddy's abilities running a Draft...I gave him a pass on Spiller because he was flat out amazing in College...I thought Troupe was a bit too high...But Trading up from Locker would take the cake... B-)

maybe the Bills really want to move up to #1 to get Newton

That article is downright frightening from the prospect of drafting a 2011 quarterback. It makes it appear that none of them is worth anything higher than a 3rd round pick and he may well be right. As "deep" as this QB class appears, these statistics place a dark cloud around all of them.

I think the NFL should institute some sort or draft pick trading restriction. Teams not at or above .500 winning % should not be allowed to trade up, and only allowed to trade down. Or give the bad teams an extra pick FOR trading down.

The Bills obviously don't get it, and would be better off with some sort of institutional controla applied.

Seriously.

I think the NFL should institute some sort or draft pick trading restriction. Teams not at or above .500 winning % should not be allowed to trade up, and only allowed to trade down. Or give the bad teams an extra pick FOR trading down.

The Bills obviously don't get it, and would be better off with some sort of institutional controla applied.

Seriously.

lol :thumbsup:

the draft is mostly a crap shoot. the best way to increase your odds of picking a future star, regardless of round, is to have more picks in each round. trading up should rarely be done.

I flippin love your Bills mock. We can only hope.

depending on how far into the 1st they want, i would assume this could be done for our 2nd and our extra 4th. Not quite sure though. if thats the case then no huge loss there. You dont really lose a pick. if this is the case then go for it. if its anything more then see ya.

I will ask this question again regarding TE......

Are we all just assuming that there will not be a free agency this year.....because if there is why are we willing to throw away a draft pick on a TE when there are going to be SEVERAL good ones in free agency?

Instead of giving Fitz (and the future QB) a rookie TE to work with lets give him someone that we know can play......like Zach Miller perhaps?

The two positions we should be targeting in free agency are RT and TE.....imho

And regarding the trade up......It would certainly be my preference to wait until our pick at the top of round two to go QB.......I mean.....why in the world should we trade UP when we have such great draft position to begin with......locker, mallet, ponder, dalton (who I like), and kaepatrick (sp) ONE OF THESE GUYS IS GOING TO BE THERE

Yeah, I'm thinking that we should stay away from the TE all together in the draft. There are going to be a few good one's available & we're going to be like $45 Million under the cap, that'll get you plenty of FA's.

Edited by Scrappy

*It’s now starting to look like the second tier of quarterbacks – Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton and maybe Ryan Mallett – could start flying off the board as early as the tenth pick, with the Redskins (they allegedly have a thing for Locker), Dolphins and Jaguars being candidates to start the ball rolling. As the draft has drawn nearer, these players have become hotter and hotter. A number of teams already having investigated moving up from high in the second round into the first to land a quarterback. Among those teams that have made calls are the Jaguar, Titans, Bills and Vikings.

Frankly, this terrifies me. It would be just like the Bills to blow their prime second round pick (and another pick or two) to climb back into Rd 1 to take Ponder or one of the other second-tier developmental QBs. Why do this? The team has so many needs, and if they don't pull the trigger on Gabbert or Newton, it would be ridiculous to start dealing away picks to land someone who won't start for several years, if ever. I'm really becoming concerned that the Bills are going to come out of Rounds 1 and 2 with Von Miller and Christian Ponder and fewer draft picks than they started with. Not good.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/introducing-lewin-career-forecast-v20

Those are the exact two picks I just replied to a post to and I said that the Bills will probably pick Miller and Ponder! I mean like 5 min. ago!! That doesn't thrill me as you are getting a highly talented player in Miller that may be slightly undersized and depends on speed and burst rather than size and strength to get to the QB. Oh I know he is very strong for his size..but to me it's a potential limitation and once he's well paid I wonder if his motor may not simmer down just slightly and it's all fractions of a second in the NFL when it comes to making a play or not! I don't think he would fall as far as Aaron Maybin, but I doubt he will be the next Clay Matthews!

Ponder..I just don't feel good about the pick even if we stayed put..he's always hurt..struggles with pocket pressure and is going to a leaugue where the players are bigger and faster! I will bet that he will be one of those players that will get concussions and always playing with injuries. My NFL Draft guide..(one of several)...compares him most closely to Trent Edwards as a player! No Thanks!

I would stay right where we are at and see who falls! With Locker, Dalton, Newton, Ponder, Kaepernick, Mallett, Gabbert, and maybe one or two others..I doubt they will all be gone by the second round! If they are then there is going to be some 1st round OT's, DT's, DE'S, LB's in the second that will bring great value and be steals in the 2nd round! I prefer Kaepernick over everyone, and if he's gone...I would wait until the 3rd or 4th to draft Ricky Stanzi who I feel is a sleeper that has great potential! I would not get sucked into drafting a QB prematurely unless the Bills are 100% sold on only one QB in this draft and have total conviction in that selection! Then if that's the case let the chips lay where they fall and take'em, but I sure hope it's not Christian Ponder, as that would make me sure ponder about where this organization is going? To me Drafting Ponder would be a big.. :oops: we did it again!

I think these discussions are great as everyone has opinions and most are well informed. However, some are getting upset because someone writes what the Bills might do and then you get pissed at the Bills. They haven't screwed up yet.

Gailey and Nix don't seem like guys who do much bluffing. Bills haven't been linked to Mallett and Gailey always talks about the game changing towards mobile QB's. Problem is that everyone knows the Bills like Ponder and similar to Tebow last year, it will probably cause someone who also likes him to panic and take him higher than he would've gone. If not Ponder, then I think the other QB the Bills might make a move for is Locker.

So the Bills are named in he article as having made a call. Did Buddy call and say, "hey, would you be interested in trading down? We want to pick up a 2nd tier QB with your pick!"

Buddy may have called another team, and he may have said he's interested in trading up, but I guarantee you, he DIDN'T say who he wanted to select with that pick!

It's all speculation, folks. Relax.

I'm glad the team is giving every scenario its due diligence...

There may or may not be someone there that they would want to trade up for...

but at least now they have an idea if someone is there that they want, what the likelihood

of making it happen is or what it might cost. Doesn't mean they'll pull the trigger...And we

have no idea who it is they might be interested in...might not even be a QB.

I still think Kaepernick is the pick for the Bills in the late 1st or with our 2nd rd pick but I guess we'll find out Thursday/Friday for sure. Go Bills!

I hope you're right. I like CK a lot. He's a good runner/scrambler too so that will help should he get in the game behind a porous bills OLIne.

There is one easy way to keep their high second round pick and not trade away more picks to get back into the 1st round for one of the "second tier of quarterbacks." Draft Newton or Gabbert with the #3 pick, and draft one of the two first tier QB's instead! It's what I've wanted Nix to do all along.

Great another Lossman pick, If we trade it should be back to get more picks. We should end this idea by drafting Gabbert or Kaepernick in the second.

Seriously.

Crappy post

Seriously

Took the words right out of my mouth...Consider the source...Dan Pompei...Enough said..

I wouldnt read into this at all...If buffalo doesnt look at their pressing need on the defensive side of the ballthere is something seriously wrong with this front office (like we dont know that allready)..last year when we picked spiller (who i like) i remember doing the ritual that us as bills fans know all to well, the taking off the bills cap squeezing the brim and hanging our head then the throwing of the hat in disgust...with all the needs we could of looked at last year we draft a running back when we had 2 - 1000 yard rushers on team allready...and what did spiller do, returned a ko for a td...not saying he wont become anything but man what a waste for what we really needed...i dont believe the rumblings of buffalo allready looking to trading into the late first..that would give to many teams a look into what they are thinking...i really do believe with gailey and crew we will have a good draft...and they are pulling legs, keeping teams on their toes, and out of buffalos true thinking which i love....miller at number 3, ol, dl, fs, dl, ss, te...thats what our draft shoud be position wise....

The only thing i dont agree with is when is the last time the bills traded up..or even tried...dont remember any recently

Edited by benbillsfan

I could not agree more. The Bills have 4 of the top 100 picks in this year's draft. These should ALL end up being starting players...OLB, TE, ILB, OT/OG. The Bills should be salivating at the prospect that all of these QBs coming off the board ahead of them will push a 1st round talent to them at pick #34.

Kyle Rudolph, Derek Sherrod, Gabe Carimi, Anthony Costanzo, Ryan Kerrigan, Nate Solder, Cameron Heyward...One or more of these players WILL be there at #34!!!!!!!

But the Bills are looking to give away their #99 pick (and maybe more) for a guy that will never be as good or as smart of a QB as our current starting 28 year old QB??????????????????????

Newsflash for the Bills front office, the NFL WILL have a 2012 draft where if Fitzpatrick does turn into a pumpkin (Bills will no doubt be picking top 10), you will be allowed to draft one with your first pick. Don't be bigger morons than the Panthers and give away picks to move up into the 1st to grab a mid round talented QB with your second pick just because you're feeling lucky that Ponder or Locker are really franchise QBs in disguise.

If they do this, they will prove that they really are a loser Double A organization trying to beat the New York Yankees.

Edited by 1billsfan

I have the weirdest feeling it's Mallett that they want & Miller with the 3rd pick.

If you want a guy who can throw the ball, there is no one better at that in this draft. I wouldn't be shocked if, when all is said and done, Mallett ends up being the only franchise guy in this draft. I have fewer reservations about him than I do Cam Newton.

If you want a guy who can throw the ball, there is no one better at that in this draft. I wouldn't be shocked if, when all is said and done, Mallett ends up being the only franchise guy in this draft. I have fewer reservations about him than I do Cam Newton.

Russell, Leaf, George ALL had great NFL arms.

There's nothing about Ryan Mallett that says he will ever be a leader. Like those three failures mentioned above, he has the brain of a little kid who'll not only be playing in a man's game, but be expected to be the leader of these men. So when things don't go right, he'll eventually implode just like he did at the combine interview.

I'll puke if they pick a QB within the first two picks.