McKelvin reaction after INT

Following McKelvins first INT, he was chest beating, strutting, and posturing towards the sidelines like he just made the play of the year that preserved the superbowl victory. I'm thinking, "Jesus, you did your job. Swell. Good for you. Act like you've been there before. Now go sit down".

Am I just an old stick in the mud, or do you think his reaction is a little over the top? I mean, c'mon, it's a friggin preseason game already. Get over yourself McLovin'.

Following McKelvins first INT, he was chest beating, strutting, and posturing towards the sidelines like he just made the play of the year that preserved the superbowl victory. I'm thinking, "Jesus, you did your job. Swell. Good for you. Act like you've been there before. Now go sit down".

Am I just an old stick in the mud, or do you think his reaction is a little over the top? I mean, c'mon, it's a friggin preseason game already. Get over yourself McLovin'.

Normally it would irk me too...but for a team that just hasn't been exciting for a decade, it's almost refreshing to see somebody show some overt swagger (even if it's over the top).

Swagger=good.

I'm not so sure about that. In every sense of the phrase. The TO of old (and, probably, of the Bills) irritates the living crap out of me. But I'm glad he's on the team for the moment.

No one, however, exemplifies "Class" these days like Lee Evans. Catches the ball, hits the end zone, drops the ball (or hands it to the official).

I like that. I guess I don't like swagger. I like points and wins. Don't need the Sharpies.

I'm not so sure about that. In every sense of the phrase. The TO of old (and, probably, of the Bills) irritates the living crap out of me. But I'm glad he's on the team for the moment.

No one, however, exemplifies "Class" these days like Lee Evans. Catches the ball, hits the end zone, drops the ball (or hands it to the official).

I like that. I guess I don't like swagger. I like points and wins. Don't need the Sharpies.

There's a difference between getting excited and overreacting and having a predetermined stunt like TO's sharpie or Joe Horn's cell phone. There's no place in the game for that, but when it comes to shouting, dancing, spiking the ball...I like it.

Have to agree - a bit much. He can learn from Lee Evans - classy.

I have no problem with a player celebrating after a big play. However, McKelvin's antics are far over the top, IMO, and he's making a fool of himself. I never really got behind the saying "act like you've been there before", but he went so crazy that it looked like that was the first interception in his life. If you aren't a Bills fan, you'd think, hasn't he made an interception before?

I actually like all the player celebrating. I like Chad Johnson, I like T.O.'s, I'm very pro celebrating. I think it makes the game fun and energizes the crowd. But McKelvin really looks like a fool. It was a fuggin preseason game for chrissakes.

Leodis should celebrate less and focus on the fudamentals --like when a WR catches a ball in front of you and falls to the ground, in the NFL it is legal for him to then get up and start running again.

Touch the man as he lays on the ground, Leodis. Then you may start your glorious celebration.

McKelvin's first name is Hayzoos? :censored: If the Bills were losing by 3 TDs it might irk me. I see your point, but it did not bother me.

He did it facing his own players on the sidelines. Just excitement from a young player, helping to pump up his teammates.

Had he done it in front of the other team (taunting) or at midfield for the crowd (showing off) I would agree with you.

Thats just the Bills fans that kill me. A guy gets excited after a play and the fans thinks hes full of himself. Finally a Bills player that is showing some kind of excitement. It is football they are playing. Now i know what the front office was saying about getting more playmakers. Mckelvin is going to add some kind of excitement! X factor baby!! Bills are getting rid of all the players the are boring! yup the ones that dont get hyped and play like crap the last few years.

This sort of reminds me of the Bills SuperBowl teams we had, you know those games where they would have an up close camera shot of Jim Kelly, and he looked so nervous that he was about to vomit and sh-- himself. Then they would switch to the next camera shot of Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders laughing and goofing off, getting all pumped up.

I have no problem with a player celebrating after a big play. However, McKelvin's antics are far over the top, IMO, and he's making a fool of himself. I never really got behind the saying "act like you've been there before", but he went so crazy that it looked like that was the first interception in his life. If you aren't a Bills fan, you'd think, hasn't he made an interception before?

I actually like all the player celebrating. I like Chad Johnson, I like T.O.'s, I'm very pro celebrating. I think it makes the game fun and energizes the crowd. But McKelvin really looks like a fool. It was a fuggin preseason game for chrissakes.

Agreed especially since this was a meaningless game. No need for the antics ... when it gets us into the playoffs then go crazy.

Agreed especially since this was a meaningless game. No need for the antics ... when it gets us into the playoffs then go crazy.

When it gets us to the playoffs? We need to do those things to get to the playoffs. 9 yrs. and counting. McKelvin has been here one year and knows things must change. A sense of urgency son!

Excitement from a young, up and coming player :lol: C'mon guys, is this really a "problem"? I hope all of our guys start showing some emotion this year, especially on defense. We've had a team that just went through the motions for years now. Bruce and that defense used to get hype and show their emotion on the field all the time. I, personally, like when guys are hyped up and showing a little swag.

Pure excitement isn't rehearsed. Jumping up and down, doing a backflip even, that can be looked at as pure excitement. What Leodis did bordered on spontaneous, so I won't judge him TOO harshly, although the sheer length of the chest beating and jawing caught my attention, that's for sure. If I were Jauron, I'd give him a teeny weeny talking to about it, and move on.

Celebrating is when a big play matters, one that makes a difference. generally, they would occur late in the 4th quarter, I liked Thurman Thomas. Yeah, he could spike the ball from time to time, but how many times did he simply flip the ball to the ref after scoring? A ton.

Frankly, while obviously admiring the talent and play of Bruce Smith for years, I always hated his sack strut, dance or baseball swing, unless it was again late in the game and a difference maker.

Nothing worse than a tool going nuts when his team is getting hammered, yet it happens all the time. Something has been lost as the generations roll by. It's called "class".

Same thing when anyone makes a play. They have to try to get noticed. It has been going on for a few years and I think it sucks but it's not going to change.

Maybe he got all pumped up because he couln't believe he actually intercepted the ball. Let's see him do it when it counts. When a game is on the line. Until then, it's just a BS move from yet another player who hasn't proven a damn thing on the field.

This sort of reminds me of the Bills SuperBowl teams we had, you know those games where they would have an up close camera shot of Jim Kelly, and he looked so nervous that he was about to vomit and sh-- himself. Then they would switch to the next camera shot of Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders laughing and goofing off, getting all pumped up.

HaHaHaHa!!! So true and so upsetting.

Maybe he got all pumped up because he couln't believe he actually intercepted the ball. Let's see him do it when it counts. When a game is on the line. Until then, it's just a BS move from yet another player who hasn't proven a damn thing on the field.

Not sure what it would take to prove anything on the field for you, and it was a regular season game (although most of those don't matter for the Bills as of late, I suppose), but McKelvin did pick off two passes against the Chiefs last season, and returned one for about 65 yards for a td... Bills won like 53-31, or somtheting... IIRC, he also had a big kick return in that game... I don't love show-boating, but I do love the big plays that usually precede showboating... it is a trade off I suppose. Some athletes need that to keep their adrenaline going... if that helps them, and the team, I got nothing against it, within reason...

You're not a stick in the mud. The league is filled with jackass's. Heck just tonight at my 11 year old son's first football practice of the season, a kid running the 40 in a group of 5 kids (he was ahead of the rest) turned around and ran the last 5 yards backwards taunting the rest of them. The coaches reaction, no reaction.

right now McKelvin is averaging 1 INT per game as a starting CB in little more than a quarter of play in each game...I think I will take that right now....

I think you are overreacting a bit. I really don't mind most of the celebrations, even the rehearsed ones. I love the stuff OCHO CINCO does. I like to be entertained. I like to see guys passionate about the game and having fun. I have no problem with his reaction. I would like it if more of these millionaires could complete a sentence in clear, intelligible english and could keep themselves from getting arrested and making asses of themselves and their teams off the field.

He did it facing his own players on the sidelines. Just excitement from a young player, helping to pump up his teammates.

Had he done it in front of the other team (taunting) or at midfield for the crowd (showing off) I would agree with you.

exactly. it's good to see some intensity, competitiveness, and pride for once.

God forbid players get excited for making a great play. Everything about McKelvin I like. He seems like a humble, hard-working guy who is a playmaker & very happy to be a Bill. In that abortion of game against SF last year, he and Stroud were the only ones trying to get the team fired up.

We need more McKelvins on this team. Football is a game and mean to be fun.

I too prefer a player who is reserved and acts like he has been there before. However, my preferences are simply mine and as long as its not done in a way that draws a taunting penalty or is some me-first pre-meditated act like the Sharpie and TO at his worst I have no problem at all with McKelvins antics.

Its a team and it takes all kinds and different players have different attitudes and roles. I think a good team has room for the just prove it on the field Bruce Smith work, the hyper enthusiasm of a Talley, the quiet rock leadership of a Kent Hull or the antics of Jim Kelly even had a role.

McKelvin's histrionics were juvenile, but the key thing is whether he really means it or not. The folks I hate are the ones who have learned how to fake sincerity.

I like enthusiasm that does not go over the top and draw a flag.

Sp McKelvin is an idiot until he makes an actual play consistently in real games, but that is fine with me.

I too prefer a player who is reserved and acts like he has been there before. However, my preferences are simply mine and as long as its not done in a way that draws a taunting penalty or is some me-first pre-meditated act like the Sharpie and TO at his worst I have no problem at all with McKelvins antics.

Its a team and it takes all kinds and different players have different attitudes and roles. I think a good team has room for the just prove it on the field Bruce Smith work, the hyper enthusiasm of a Talley, the quiet rock leadership of a Kent Hull or the antics of Jim Kelly even had a role.

McKelvin's histrionics were juvenile, but the key thing is whether he really means it or not. The folks I hate are the ones who have learned how to fake sincerity.

I like enthusiasm that does not go over the top and draw a flag.

Sp McKelvin is an idiot until he makes an actual play consistently in real games, but that is fine with me.

Guess you missed last season. :lol:

DML, thanks for the original post being a question and not a pronouncement. It shows that you have some wisdom and perspective. I think that a negative reaction is a bit stodgy myself. I'm not into these sorts of celebrations personally but I understand it is very widespread in sports these days and not everyone conducts themselves perfectly. More so, if everyone acted with "class" and was "self-effacing," then there would no longer be any objective standard of "class." We'd all be a bunch of robots with nothing to differentiate ourselves. Different people act different ways. I try to act in a way that reflects my own beliefs. But I try not to judge others who are a different age, race, religion, and have a different background, upbringing, and life experience.

I am a huge Lee Evans fan. His is the only jersey of a current Bills player that I own. But as other posters have pointed out in this thread, it's possible that the one element keeping many excellent players from becoming truly great players (and I include Lee Evans here) is that self-motivation that comes with ego, narcissism (even if a product of insecurity), and enthusiasm. Lee sits on the bench near the Gatorade cooler by himself after every offensive series. T.O. will sit down but he makes the rounds on the sidelines exhorting his teammates, chatting guys up, and keeping things energetic.

I would suggest to those who have a problem with McKelvin's behavior that they consider how his teammates feel about him. I would bet that his teammates response to his enthusiasm is overwhelmingly positive.

At this point, players getting excited, while wearing a Bills uniform is low on my concern list, as far as the Bills are concerned...

So very true buftex. Player celebrations are a valid discussion but I feel criticism of McKelvin's behavior in the aftermath of this play is nitpicking.

Did he get a flag for it? No? Then it shouldn't be a problem for ANYONE...

BTW, after that pick, I beat my chest and started taunting the imaginary crowd in my living room (who ended up being my 3 yr. old daughter, the wife, the dog, and my 2 brothers). My daughter said I should act like I've been there before... :lol:

When Bruce Smith was inducted into the HOF last week, Ted Cottrell mentioned that once Bruce outgrew the need to celebrate, he became a complete player. They ran a montage of Bruce's celebrations...I might not like it, but I will admit, it didn't bother me one bit when Bruce and Bennett used to celebrate, it used to get me very pumped up...every player is different, each has his own way of motivating himself...

Have you watched an NFL game over the past decade or more? Almost everytime someone makes a tackle, gets a sack, catches a ball, etc. they act like they just won the Super Bowl. It is the age of the "Me" millionaire athletes who put team second for the most part, who want to get themselves noticed, first and foremost. I don't like it but I have become immune to it, because it isn't going to change.

Wow, unreal. Never happy. Either they aren't emotional enough or too emotional. Yes you are a stick in the mudd. The guy goes stride for stride with probably one of the top 5 fastest WRs in the league and goes up and makes a great play. Shows some emotion to get himself and others going and he gets chastised.

Thank You.