Best Case Scenario

1) The Bills OL stays healthy, especially Jason Peters, who is presently our best player. It probably isn't close.

2) Our 1st round corner is a star.

3) Hardy is not a criminal.

4) Poz comes back and plays to form. I think that R.Rich was right about this kid.

5) Butler keps progressing. This is freaking huge.

6) Duke Preston is cut. I don't care if he is replaced by a udfa. He is a bad football player.

7) Stroud likes it here, stays healthy, and plays well. He is a badass.

8) McCargo becomes a good, steady player.

9) Parrish doesn't get broken in half.

10) Someone can be a good TE. This is a HUGE reach.

Last but far from least, Trent Edwards needs to be even almost as good as I think that he will be. It is a ton to ask or expect from a kid with 9 starts, but I really do see great things in this kid. How perfect would it be for us if he shows enough to unite the crowd at OBD, let alone TSW?

I hated this draft, but I will never give up.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The Bills OL stays healthy, especially Jason Peters, who is presently our best player. It probably isn't close.

4) Poz comes back and plays to form. I think that R.Rich was right about this kid.

6) Duke Preston is cut. I don't care if he is replaced by a udfa. He is a bad football player.

Last but far from least, Trent Edwards needs to be even almost as good as I think that he will be. It is a ton to ask or expect from a kid with 9 starts, but I really do see great things in this kid. How perfect would it be for us if he shows enough to unite the crowd at OBD, let alone TSW?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds great. I didn't see the head coach mentioned anywhere. A little anxiety about Dick's ability to turn talent into wins?

Sounds great. I didn't see the head coach mentioned anywhere. A little anxiety about Dick's ability to turn talent into wins?

I'm not a DJ fan. Never have been and never will be. He's been called a Monday through Saturday coach by some around here, and that's not good enough in the high stakes NFL world. Make no mistake this season, he's had ultimate control over this roster (see Draft Day 06-08) and his success depends on how well he can get those players to play. He couldn't do it in Chicago, and didn't become a HC for three years after being fired there.

For Buffalo to win, two things must happen:

1. Trent Edwards is moderately productive in a scheme that will probably be 55-45 run pass. 3200 yds passing 15-18TD's versus 6-10 picks is not out of the question.

2. Dick Jauron does not make the mistakes he's historically made in gameplanning and on the field decisions to take his team out of games.

If those things occur, the talent on paper has the potential to win a lot of games. QB play and coaching will be huge.

Now let us join hands in prayer...

Seriously, I think we're in pretty goods shape. I fully expect 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, and 9 to happen. I hope 6 will happen, but it won't make or break our season. For 10, I think Royal is better than most on the board give him credit for. 7 and Edwards is what keeps me up. Should be fun to see, though.

Bill, we have a good offensive line. You'll see.

I'm not a DJ fan. Never have been and never will be. He's been called a Monday through Saturday coach by some around here, and that's not good enough in the high stakes NFL world. Make no mistake this season, he's had ultimate control over this roster (see Draft Day 06-08) and his success depends on how well he can get those players to play. He couldn't do it in Chicago, and didn't become a HC for three years after being fired there.

For Buffalo to win, two things must happen:

1. Trent Edwards is moderately productive in a scheme that will probably be 55-45 run pass. 3200 yds passing 15-18TD's versus 6-10 picks is not out of the question.

2. Dick Jauron does not make the mistakes he's historically made in gameplanning and on the field decisions to take his team out of games.

If those things occur, the talent on paper has the potential to win a lot of games. QB play and coaching will be huge.

I have zero faith in Jauron. My hope is that the team can win in spite of him, and he gets fired either during, or after the season.

I just don't get it. Why is JP ALWAYS referred to as a 4year vet when he broke his leg in PRESEASON his ROOKIE YEAR & Trent is "a kid with 9 starts" because he missed the 1st series of the game? It is not like he only played 1 or 2 series HE PLAYED THE ENTIRE GAME EXCEPT FOR 3 offensive plays. To me he should be the 1st thing on the list, not the last. In my opinion the Bills season is in his hands more than anyone else's. If he is 1/2 as good as you think he is the Bills should make the playoffs. :D GO BILLS

I have zero faith in Jauron. My hope is that the team can win in spite of him, and he gets fired either during, or after the season.

I also have little faith in Jauron, but if he is fired, you can bet the Bills had a horrendous season, & will be back to ground 0 albeit with more talent than when Jauron arrived.

Why all the hate for Jauron? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm genuinely interested. He's given me reason for hope since he's gotten here, as it feels like he's turned this franchise around from the hellhole it was when he got here. It feels as if the ball is rolling in the right direction.

I pretty much agree with you Bill, but this year's draft was one of many.

Next year I'll get ICBM again if the Lines aren't addressed all weekend long.

TE is our biggest weakness at the mo, IMHO.

Most other spots look a lot brighter than they did on 1/1/08.

I pretty much agree with you Bill, but this year's draft was one of many.

Next year I'll get ICBM again if the Lines aren't addressed all weekend long.

TE is our biggest weakness at the mo, IMHO.

Most other spots look a lot brighter than they did on 1/1/08.

:D Big improvements since the end of the season.

He is already excellent at squeaking out wins we dont deserve. He outperforms expectations with a low talent football team. Nowv can he win when he has about 75% of the tools he needs?

if all ten of those things happen then we are one lucky team. As long as James Hardy IS NOT a bust, then we will be in the playoffs!

Why all the hate for Jauron? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm genuinely interested. He's given me reason for hope since he's gotten here, as it feels like he's turned this franchise around from the hellhole it was when he got here. It feels as if the ball is rolling in the right direction.

I am putting the blame for last years offense or lack thereof on Jauron.

Well, lets see:

Career 50-67 record (.430 winning percentage)

7 of his 8 seasons have reflected teams ranked 20th or below in points scored.

5 of his 8 seasons have reflected teams ranked 20th or below in points allowed

0-1 career playoff record

DJ did not turn this franchise around. His first year here was a 7-9 result. His second year was a 7-9 result. He's had a lot of control on draft day, and that was more evident this year than ever. He knows he must produce this season or he'll be coaching the Swampscott Pop Warner team next season.

The ball is rolling in the right direction? It should be, he's had 32 games, 8 more preseason contests, 26 draft picks, three free agencies, and enters a third offseason of of mini-camps, OTA's, and training camp. The ball should be going downhill by now.

Because if you don't win with QBs by the name of Jim Miller, Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Kordell Stewart, and JP Losman, you obviously suck as a head coach.

Remember all those playoff wins and Superbowls the homeless guy that coaches NE had before Brady???

Because if you don't win with QBs by the name of Jim Miller, Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Kordell Stewart, and JP Losman, you obviously suck as a head coach.

Remember all those playoff wins and Superbowls the homeless guy that coaches NE had before Brady???

Cute attempt....but Belicheat was a helluva coach going 11-5 with a crap Clevekand organization and was the reason Parcells won anything.

However...YES--Jauron has had garbage to work with at QB.I have my doubts --seeing how anal rentative the guy is in his coaching style---but I woulda said the same thing about Coughlin not too long ago.We'll see.

A coach should have ample time to steer a team... and in the case of talent and the Bills, just treading water is a challenge...

Being a small market team, the Bills can't always keep the talent they need to make a breakthrough...

Therefore, a coach like Jauron has to stockpile whereever he can to keep talent at a position... and fend off the injuries that very well may happen... Anyone who saw a team, especially its defense, starting 4th stringers and street free agents by the middle of the season realizes that Jauron pulled off a small miracle keeping the team competitive... and actually winning 7 games while staying in the playoff hunt into December...

and that was only the regime's 2nd year, fellas... after having to come in with new schemes and fix the personnel mess TD left behind, I like the direction this regime is taking.... There has been an influx of draft talent, they have re-signed a solid core of players that could have easily walked, and brought in some solid free agent additions...

Now, if Wilson fires Jauron after the season, all of that goes down the toilet.... Another coach with another philosophy comes in and starts molding the team in his image.... cutting some of Jauron's additions, letting some go in FA, and starting over...

Then, as usual, we are back to just treading water again...

Really, some of these posts don't surprise me... Some Bills fans have a reputation of knee-jerk reactions... finding a scapegoat to blame time and again, and running said scapegoat out of town... believing that the cancer he "caused" all by himself will now be cured... Jim Kelly's last year was a perfect example... Forget what the guy had already done for the team... as soon as it looked like he wasn't all-world anymore, he was booed, heckled, and made a scapegoat...

This does not reflect Bills fans as a majority... But unfortunately thanks to the few, we have all gained the whiney Red Sox reputation, blaming our team's problems on the newest sacrificial lamb, feeding him to the wolves, and then finding the next altar sacrifice when things aren't perfect...

But go ahead, fellas... Tell me how wrong I am and that your sh** doesn't stink... :D

A coach should have ample time to steer a team... and in the case of talent and the Bills, just treading water is a challenge...

Being a small market team, the Bills can't always keep the talent they need to make a breakthrough...

Therefore, a coach like Jauron has to stockpile whereever he can to keep talent at a position... and fend off the injuries that very well may happen... Anyone who saw a team, especially its defense, starting 4th stringers and street free agents by the middle of the season realizes that Jauron pulled off a small miracle keeping the team competitive... and actually winning 7 games while staying in the playoff hunt into December...

and that was only the regime's 2nd year, fellas... after having to come in with new schemes and fix the personnel mess TD left behind, I like the direction this regime is taking.... There has been an influx of draft talent, they have re-signed a solid core of players that could have easily walked, and brought in some solid free agent additions...

Now, if Wilson fires Jauron after the season, all of that goes down the toilet.... Another coach with another philosophy comes in and starts molding the team in his image.... cutting some of Jauron's additions, letting some go in FA, and starting over...

Really, some of these posts don't surprise me... Some Bills fans have a reputation of knee-jerk reactions... finding a scapegoat to blame time and again, and running said scapegoat out of town... believing that the cancer he "caused" all by himself will now be cured... Jim Kelly's last year was a perfect example... Forget what the guy had already done for the team... as soon as it looked like he wasn't all-world anymore, he was booed, heckled, and made a scapegoat...

This does not reflect Bills fans as a majority... But unfortunately thanks to the few, we have all gained the whiney Red Sox reputation, blaming our team's problems on the newest sacrificial lamb, feeding him to the wolves, and then finding the next altar sacrifice when things aren't perfect...

But go ahead, fellas... Tell me how wrong I am and that your sh** doesn't stink... :unsure:

Ding.

:D

Cute attempt....but Belicheat was a helluva coach going 11-5 with a crap Clevekand organization and was the reason Parcells won anything.

However...YES--Jauron has had garbage to work with at QB.I have my doubts --seeing how anal rentative the guy is in his coaching style---but I woulda said the same thing about Coughlin not too long ago.We'll see.

Yeah because that Chicago team that DJ coached to a 13-3 record was a powerhouse with that deadly trio of Jim Miller/ Anthony Thomas/ Marty Booker. It was like Kelly/ Thomas/ Reed but better. :D

And for some reason, people forget Jauron was a good defensive coordinator on some Jacksonville teams that made very deep playoffs runs. IMO, this may be the best roster Jauron has ever had. The writing is on the wall.

Well, lets see:

DJ did not turn this franchise around. His first year here was a 7-9 result. His second year was a 7-9 result. He's had a lot of control on draft day, and that was more evident this year than ever. He knows he must produce this season or he'll be coaching the Swampscott Pop Warner team next season.

The ball is rolling in the right direction? It should be, he's had 32 games, 8 more preseason contests, 26 draft picks, three free agencies, and enters a third offseason of of mini-camps, OTA's, and training camp. The ball should be going downhill by now.

Yeesh, give the guy some time. With all the turnover we've (quite necessarily) had, its a wonder he's kept the team competitive. He's done a fine job here.

The offensive deficiencies on his track record you astutely point out ARE worrisome. You can hope that can be chalked up to poor assistants and poor quarterbacks, but this can only go on so long without he himself being held responsible. I believe there are more pieces in place now than he's had in any other season in Buffalo, so we'll see.

I think we'll both agree this is an important year for him, and that may be an understatement.

Yeesh, give the guy some time. With all the turnover we've (quite necessarily) had, its a wonder he's kept the team competitive. He's done a fine job here.

The offensive deficiencies on his track record you astutely point out ARE worrisome. You can hope that can be chalked up to poor assistants and poor quarterbacks, but this can only go on so long without he himself being held responsible. I believe there are more pieces in place now than he's had in any other season in Buffalo, so we'll see.

I think we'll both agree this is an important year for him, and that may be an understatement.

In all reality judgment day cannot come until after 2010. This is when we can start to see what DJ and the front office have assembled for the long term. I honestly think 9-7 this year.

We need stability in buffalo. I think we have the makings of a great team. We are a couple pieces away, but give DJ more than 2 years.

Well, lets see:

Do you realize that a lot of people thought he should get COTY honors for what he did last year with this team?

But go ahead, fellas... Tell me how wrong I am and that your sh** doesn't stink... :angry:

:unsure: Egg-Zactly! :doh:

Bill, of all the things you've ever posted (that I've read), this may be the one I have the most trouble with. I'll give you your "continue to draft for the lines or bust" mantra -- at least you have put some thought and logic behind it.

Dick Jauron is incredibly well-respected in his field, and to so thoroughly discount his abilities reeks of a complete disregard for logic and reasoned thought. Perhaps you don't like some of his gameday decisions -- fair enough. Perhaps you think he's too milquetoast in front of the media -- I'll grant you that. Maybe you think he's too loyal to coaches who don't seem to be doing their jobs -- he wouldn't be the first good coach to do that.

Jauron has done remarkable things with the Bills in two short seasons, inheriting a roster devoid of talent yet keeping them competitive and hungry. Finally, through FA and three drafts things have fallen into place from a talent perspective and you glibly state "I have zero faith in Jauron?"

I'm sure you don't give a crap what I think, but posts like that make it less likely I have any interest in engaging in meaningful football discussions with you.

1) The Bills OL stays healthy, especially Jason Peters, who is presently our best player. It probably isn't close. Same goes for Dline. Nobody wins with 17 players on IR.

2) Our 1st round corner is a star. He doesn't need to be a star just a solid player this year. I think he will be a star eventually.

3) Hardy is not a criminal. The guy made a mistake, knows he made a mistake is remorsfule for his mistake and has done nothing like it sense. It sounds like he has matured learned and moved on. We should move on too.

4) Poz comes back and plays to form. I think that R.Rich was right about this kid. Richie Rich? Poz will play at the pro bowl level.

5) Butler keps progressing. This is freaking huge. My bigger concern with Butler is his health. He was banged up alot throughout the season. I think his skills will progress in his second year as a starter.

6) Duke Preston is cut. I don't care if he is replaced by a udfa. He is a bad football player. I want the best players available for backups. If it is a June 1st cut, trade, undrafted rookie or Preston. Get me the best backup.

7) Stroud likes it here, stays healthy, and plays well. He is a badass. And stays healthy.

8) McCargo becomes a good, steady player. This is the year he puts it all together.

9) Parrish doesn't get broken in half. He and Reed are interchangable as a slot recievers. His punt return ability is more important.

10) Someone can be a good TE. This is a HUGE reach. Would you be OK if e just drafted a player like Kevin Boss of the Giants? I think that is what we got when we drafted this TE Fine. A good blocker with reliable hands.

I hated this draft, but I will never give up. I hope he can be the QB Bill Walsh thought he could be. If that's the case he will win the Bills a few Super bowls in his time with the team

My responses are in bold after the original statements.

Bill and Trent, sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g..... :D

#10 is really the only reach on that list so it could all happen my friend.

Bill, of all the things you've ever posted (that I've read), this may be the one I have the most trouble with. I'll give you your "continue to draft for the lines or bust" mantra -- at least you have put some thought and logic behind it.

Dick Jauron is incredibly well-respected in his field, and to so thoroughly discount his abilities reeks of a complete disregard for logic and reasoned thought. Perhaps you don't like some of his gameday decisions -- fair enough. Perhaps you think he's too milquetoast in front of the media -- I'll grant you that. Maybe you think he's too loyal to coaches who don't seem to be doing their jobs -- he wouldn't be the first good coach to do that.

Jauron has done remarkable things with the Bills in two short seasons, inheriting a roster devoid of talent yet keeping them competitive and hungry. Finally, through FA and three drafts things have fallen into place from a talent perspective and you glibly state "I have zero faith in Jauron?"

I'm sure you don't give a crap what I think, but posts like that make it less likely I have any interest in engaging in meaningful football discussions with you.

Thanks for posting this. This is my take on things. I do worry about the offense, which at times made watching paint dry while having your molars drilled without anesthetic seem like a worthy alternative, but I think Jauron has real strengths. And I LIKE is calm demeanor and lack of paranoia.

I have to take Bill's postings with a grain of salt--he's obviously intelligent and interesting on some subjects, but is knee-jerk on others to the point where it's not worth arguing with him.

My responses are in bold after the original statements.

I hate being the wet blanket but I have some reservations about Poz. He has been hurt two of the past three years, any other player with that record would immediately draw the "injury prone" label around here. I think "injury prone" is just another word for "unlucky" sa I am not worried about that. What does worry me is that he was hurt so early that I don't think the kind of mistakes you would expect from a rookie are over with him. He will be a second year player in name only.

Another worry I have is a play I recall against the Steelers which haunts me still. If you recall, they pushed our defense all over the filed but had to keep settling for FG's which kept the game close. Finally, they were inside the 5 and again we had stopped them but rather than kick the FG, they decided to go for it. They faked it up the middle and then hit a wide open TE just off the tackle on the right side. Poz went for the fake and realized his mistake too late. He tried mightily to get to that TE but there was just too little time. The Steelers, I am sure, decided to pick on the rookie on that play and it worked like a charm.

Just one play and he was a rookie after all. However, he went down for the season the very next game. The education he would have continued to get had he stayed healthy didn't happen. So maybe he still has a pocketful of mistakes to get out of his system like the one he made against the Steelers.

I like Poz, I have high hopes for him and think he will be a very good player. Still, I don't think he has proven much yet on the field. I am not sure the idea that he is going to go from the guy who got schooled by the Steelers and knocked out for the season the next game directly to Pro Bowl level is all that realistic.

Do you realize that a lot of people thought he should get COTY honors for what he did last year with this team?

:unsure: Egg-Zactly! :

Wayne Fontes was coach of the year. It's been mentioned before on this board. You seem to think that award makes a coach instantly credible.

When DJ's career record is brought up for conversation, someone chimes in with his QB situation. He didn't have Joe Montana in Chicago, but he was there for five seasons and never found the right QB. Doesn't this frighten fans, especially in light of the fact that a 2nd year QB will take the field this year for Buffalo?

Personally, I think Trent gets it. He's going to have some growing pains, but will improve a great deal in 2008.

I've seen Jauron coached teams lose games they should win and rarely win games they shouldn't. The Patriots, Jets, Lions and Titatns in 06. Then in 2007, the Broncos, Cowboys, and Eagles. The only two games they should't have won came against Jacksonville in 06 and Washington this past year. Sense a trend?

Jauron is doing just fine. Is he the perfect coach? Hell no. But even the national media has noticed that Buffalo is making some good calls lately. From TMQ's latest:

"Buffalo surrendered the complaining Willis McGahee and the fading Takeo Spikes for Trent Edwards, Marcus Stroud and a late draft choice. That's the kind of sharp management decision making the Bills lacked under Donahoe."

I hate being the wet blanket but I have some reservations about Poz. He has been hurt two of the past three years, any other player with that record would immediately draw the "injury prone" label around here. I think "injury prone" is just another word for "unlucky" sa I am not worried about that. What does worry me is that he was hurt so early that I don't think the kind of mistakes you would expect from a rookie are over with him. He will be a second year player in name only.

Another worry I have is a play I recall against the Steelers which haunts me still. If you recall, they pushed our defense all over the filed but had to keep settling for FG's which kept the game close. Finally, they were inside the 5 and again we had stopped them but rather than kick the FG, they decided to go for it. They faked it up the middle and then hit a wide open TE just off the tackle on the right side. Poz went for the fake and realized his mistake too late. He tried mightily to get to that TE but there was just too little time. The Steelers, I am sure, decided to pick on the rookie on that play and it worked like a charm.

Just one play and he was a rookie after all. However, he went down for the season the very next game. The education he would have continued to get had he stayed healthy didn't happen. So maybe he still has a pocketful of mistakes to get out of his system like the one he made against the Steelers.

I like Poz, I have high hopes for him and think he will be a very good player. Still, I don't think he has proven much yet on the field. I am not sure the idea that he is going to go from the guy who got schooled by the Steelers and knocked out for the season the next game directly to Pro Bowl level is all that realistic.

Thanks for this post. I have the same concerns and doubts about Poz. Stroud and McCargo should keep him from getting belted around but he's still an unproven rookie and opponents would be flat out stupid not to test him. Hopefully Mitchell will help here too.

I think that the people who started the COTY buzz for Jauron were the same people that predicted us to win 3 games at the start of the season last year. They were saying this team had no talent to begin with, then everyone still got injured, yet they still won 7 games, the coach must be great. Most of these people have ever watched a bills game from start to finish and didn't know that this was at least a .500 team on paper going into the season. I'll give Jauron credit for getting his players to play hard and not quit. However, I really didn't like his game management. Some of the blame has to go to the coordinators too, but I just think that his clock management, always going into the prevent d at the end of halves and allowing the other team to score, while always sitting on the ball at the end of the first half, the run run pass offense, etc. etc. were all serious problems. I understand the mentality, play conservative and keep yourself in the game, I just don't agree with it. This works agaginst the jets, dolphins and redskins, but against better teams you have to go for the jugular when you have them on the ropes (dallas, denver), or the other team will come back on you. Hopefully with more confidence in his roster DJ will change up his coaching style, but right now the jury's still out.

Yeah, that's what this organization needs, yet another coaching change. I hate to break everyone's DJ is a bad coach bubble, but to keep that team last year in playoff contention with thirteen starters out with injuries in key positions was one HELL of a coaching job, whether you like the guy or not. The fact is, the problem was DJ let Fairchild run the offense, and make the calls. It's terrible that he lets people do the job their getting paid for. SF was a bad OC, that's why he would have been fired had he not taken the job at CSU. Schonert and Jauron seem to be on the same page. This is really the first year that Jauron is coaching a team filled with players he WANTS, rather than trying to plug in leftovers and bad talent from the Donablow administration. Give the guy a chance to succeed before we turn this team upside down with another administration change.

Notice, teams that have very few coaching changes are the ones that tend to do well. Consistency is a huge part of pro-football and making teams, even those with talented players, learn a new system every three years with a new coach doesn't do anyone any good. Jauron will the coach for at least another two seasons before there is even a chance at his being replaced. And that's the way it should be.

against better teams you have to go for the jugular when you have them on the ropes (dallas, denver), or the other team will come back on you. Hopefully with more confidence in his roster DJ will change up his coaching style, but right now the jury's still out.

You make a good point, but the Bills did try to go for the jugular against Dallas. On first and goal from the nine they called a passing play to LE, something they didn't do much during the season, trying to put the score up to 31 to 7 at the time. The route got intercepted and Newman ran the ball back. Jauron wasn't involved much with the play calling on offense. That job was left to SF and he mangled it for any number of reasons, none of which were all that good. This year, however, I don't think that will be the case. Jauron has done a good job as coach, and with everything that happened last year, 7-9, and still in the hunt for the playoffs in week 15 was a heck of an accomplishment. At the start of the season, with everyone healthy, as you said, we were a five hundred team. After the thirteen injuries to starting players, the quarterback shuffle and the Kevin Everett tragedy, I'd have said we would be lucky to win 3 games at that point. We had players who had walked onto the practice squad starting in the secondary, and UDFA's playing linebacker. To say that Jauron's coaching had nothing to do with the team being remotely successful under those suggestions is essentially to be an ostrich with its head in the sand.

You make a good point, but the Bills did try to go for the jugular against Dallas. On first and goal from the nine they called a passing play to LE, something they didn't do much during the season, trying to put the score up to 31 to 7 at the time. The route got intercepted and Newman ran the ball back. Jauron wasn't involved much with the play calling on offense. That job was left to SF and he mangled it for any number of reasons, none of which were all that good. This year, however, I don't think that will be the case. Jauron has done a good job as coach, and with everything that happened last year, 7-9, and still in the hunt for the playoffs in week 15 was a heck of an accomplishment. At the start of the season, with everyone healthy, as you said, we were a five hundred team. After the thirteen injuries to starting players, the quarterback shuffle and the Kevin Everett tragedy, I'd have said we would be lucky to win 3 games at that point. We had players who had walked onto the practice squad starting in the secondary, and UDFA's playing linebacker. To say that Jauron's coaching had nothing to do with the team being remotely successful under those suggestions is essentially to be an ostrich with its head in the sand.

Dick Jauron is a coach that will only get you so far. He is certainly NOT the second coming of Bill Belichick that someone here laughably suggested. I think he's a nice, classy guy who's a very good coach as a defensive coordinator. However, Dick Jauron happens to be a lousy head football coach if you are judging him on his now very long losing record, his ability to beat winning teams, his ability to coach his teams into the playoffs and then win those playoff games. Jauron will win enough games to be respectable, but that's it. Be honest, do you have any belief that Dick could ever be able to put together enough wins against the good to very good NFL teams when his teams have never been able to in the past? I'm sorry, but I emphatically don't. He just doesn't have what it takes on Sundays to beat the good NFL teams on a regular basis. Why? Who knows why, but his record is crappy against good teams. I don't want to hear about deficiencies. After seven seasons, excuses are for losers.

To be fair, Dick Jaroun's future in the league is as an NFL defensive coordinator or possibly as a GM. That looks to be what he is truly good at. I just hope the transition to the next coaching regime will be very smooth with little player turnover because we now have a playoff worthy team in place.

Basically it is his personality. Some people like loudmouth wankers as a HC.

He didn't have Joe Montana in Chicago, but he was there for five seasons and never found the right QB. Doesn't this frighten fans, especially in light of the fact that a 2nd year QB will take the field this year for Buffalo?

Did Dick have player personnel power in Chi town? Seems like that was more of the GM's failure (Jerry Angelo) than the HCs.

In 1999, Jauron's first year, the Bears drafted the infamous Cade McNown 12th overall. Maybe Dick had some say in the pick, but it was more likely Mike McCaskey running the show. Jim Miller was "just an arm" picked up to fill a roster space. Good old Shane Matthews was...Shane Matthews!

In 2003, Angelo selected Rex Grossman in the second round and fired Jauron at the end of the season.

The article I linked above should be 'must reading' for all you DJ flamers...IMO, it's hard to judge a HC when the QB position's as mucked up by injuries and poor GM support as it was in Chicago when he coached there.

......When DJ's career record is brought up for conversation, someone chimes in with his QB situation. He didn't have Joe Montana in Chicago, but he was there for five seasons and never found the right QB. Doesn't this frighten fans, especially in light of the fact that a 2nd year QB will take the field this year for Buffalo?.......

5 years :thumbsup:

Your perception is out of whack in regards to how long on average it takes to find a good QB. It's hard enough to find a decent one but you'll notice that teams with OK QBs are constantly looking for better. At the moment I'd be happy enough for us to field a decent QB......but after a year or two will be crying out for a good one just like everyone else.

Some teams get lucky in being able to get another good QB within a few years of having one leave(retire) but it is the rare exception.....not the norm.

Cowboys are a good example......and they didn't even spend high picks at QB(generally locking teams into that player for longer).

Aikman retires in 2000.....they go through Carter, Hutchinson, Testiverde & Bledsoe before finding Romo 6 years later. Is it a coincidence that they become good at the same time that they land a good QB?

Elway retires in 1999.....they go through Griese, Kanell & Plummer before Cutler. If Cutler does not develop they will be looking at over 10 years in the QB wilderness and still be looking for a QB.

Have the Bucs ever had a reliable tong term QB?

Most teams have to wait for years before finding a good QB. Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Ravens, Texans, Broncos, Raiders, Redskins, Lions, Bears, Bucs, Panthers, Cardinals have all been waiting for years to find a good QB......Jets, Titans, Chiefs, Vikings, Packers, Falcons & 49ers may well be waiting for years to come before they find their QBs of the future.

Finding a QB who you can keep for a decade & is good enough to not seek their replacement is probably the hardest & most important part about building a team........and certainly should not be expected within a 5 year period.