Caleb Williams is off to a rough rookie start

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 10:09 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know he’s just getting used to the NFL but I always thought this talk of Caleb being this once in 5 year kinda talent was little off. Everytime I saw him go against a defense with a pulse in college he struggled. Hopefully that isn’t the case for the Bears sake.

Well if you think about most of the QB's in the last say 20 yrs that have come out of USC how many have gone on to have really successful careers ? The Bills have had a couple and at best they have all been back ups or have made better commentators than NFL - QB's .

Matt Barkley, Matt Lienert, Sam Darnold, Mark Sanchez,Carson Palmer is probably the best of the bunch then Buffalo surely can't forget Rob Johnson, so i would say that USC isn't a QB factory by any means . 

A lot of them come out as highly touted NFL QB prospects but for the most part they never pan out ...

I hate to say it but Caleb WIlliams could be just one more in a long line of back ups that have came out of USC .

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2024 at 5:32 AM, mannc said:

That’s not fair at all.

He’s Sam Darnold 2.0.

I agree Darnold would be a much better comparison for his skill set.  Remember Darnold was known as a great playmaker in college.  He was known for his ability to make plays after it broke down.  It just end up translating to the pros. 

On 5/23/2024 at 11:09 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I know he’s just getting used to the NFL but I always thought this talk of Caleb being this once in 5 year kinda talent was little off. Everytime I saw him go against a defense with a pulse in college he struggled. Hopefully that isn’t the case for the Bears sake.

I love how the tweet calls him a “star” already.  The guy hasn’t played a down of pro football.  Will laugh my ass off if he completely sucks for the Bears.

I honestly don’t know how he will turn out but there is something about him that seems too scripted and I just can’t help thinking of all those end of season failures he had when it mattered most.

Idk, I don’t believe he is what many people think of being this sure fire All pro player.   He could end being that guy, he certainly has phenomenal off-schedule QB abilities but I have my doubts.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I watched him play as a freshman at Oklahoma and he was incredible. He has a very high football IQ & is extremely competitive. I hated to see him follow Lincoln Riley to USC.   I believe he also has the physical attributes to be successful in the NFL. I will be surprised if he doesn’t become a very good NFL QB & I am very happy he’s in the NFC.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, wppete said:

Not even close. Justin Fields should never have been a starter and 2nd or 3rd string QB at best 

You do realize that Fields had a higher completion % and a higher passer rating in college then Williams did?

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Not even close. Justin Fields should never have been a starter and 2nd or 3rd string QB at best 

He was drafted by an organization known for being a toilet for QB prospects... all of them get flushed. Justin Fields had everything he needed until he got to the Bears.

• Disagree 1

At the risk of sounding abrasive, did anyone actually watch USC football? I’m seeing a lot of criticism about Williams’ late season meltdowns USC. It sounds like something people are parroting from random pundits. USC the team had late season meltdowns, but it wasn’t always Williams’ fault. This Lincoln Riley coached team simply can’t play defense. The USC offense often put plenty of points on board, but lost high scoring games. Williams looked good more often than not. I’m not promising he’ll be a success, but I can’t go along with this narrative. 

2 hours ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

I watched him play as a freshman at Oklahoma and he was incredible. He has a very high football IQ & is extremely competitive. I hated to see him follow Lincoln Riley to USC.   I believe he also has the physical attributes to be successful in the NFL. I will be surprised if he doesn’t become a very good NFL QB & I am very happy he’s in the NFC.  

He can make throws that other guys simply can’t. That’s what separates him from players like Fields coming out of college. The ability to make spectacular throws seems to be a defining characteristic of successful NFL QB’s these days. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

At the risk of sounding abrasive, did anyone actually watch USC football? I’m seeing a lot of criticism about Williams’ late season meltdowns USC. It sounds like something people are parroting from random pundits. USC the team had late season meltdowns, but it wasn’t always Williams’ fault. This Lincoln Riley coached team simply can’t play defense. The USC offense often put plenty of points on board, but lost high scoring games. Williams looked good more often than not. I’m not promising he’ll be a success, but I can’t go along with this narrative. 

He can make throws that other guys simply can’t. That’s what separates him from players like Fields coming out of college. The ability to make spectacular throws seems to be a defining characteristic of successful NFL QB’s these days. 

💯 

7 hours ago, Udubalum07 said:

I agree Darnold would be a much better comparison for his skill set.  Remember Darnold was known as a great playmaker in college.  He was known for his ability to make plays after it broke down.  It just end up translating to the pros. 

The other thing they have in common is that neither takes good care of the football and both are/were hugely overrated.

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I didn't see Williams do very much that was designed. He was however a complete freak off schedule. To me he is a poor mans Josh Allen. Does not have all the athletic skill Allen has but a talented kid. Will he be able to reinvent himself to be more structured?  Josh was able to do it enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t know how the idea has taken hold that being short is no longer a detriment to playing QB. Watching the best really short QB hit the wall at 32, Kyler hurt all the time, Bryce disaster. Doesn’t matter, keep picking them number 1   

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not sure how it’s even possible but the bears haven’t had a really good QB in the last like 60 years. To the point where I just assume this guy will let down lol

yeah who were their best couple QBs since like 1980, anyway???  McMahon and Cutler?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I don’t know how the idea has taken hold that being short is no longer a detriment to playing QB. Watching the best really short QB hit the wall at 32, Kyler hurt all the time, Bryce disaster. Doesn’t matter, keep picking them number 1   

Caleb Williams is not small or short LOL 

Hes 6'1 7/8 lol so 6'2 220 lb 

He is the strongest quarterback in the pocket in his draft class 

He isn't Bryce Young 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1