Jets tried to hire a new OC

https://sny.tv/articles/jets-mailbag-confidence-level-nathanial-hackett

Hell of an organization they got there

“But then there’s Hackett. The Jets made legitimate attempts this offseason to hire someone who would, essentially, replace Hackett. Not as a new offensive coordinator, but a title above who would run the show. The Jets had enough things they needed to address this offseason without replacing areas they’re content with. That pursuit tells me, internally, there are legitimate concerns with Hackett’s ability to successfully run things.”

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Rodgers has the same situation Brady and Manning had.  They have a massive voice in game plan, packages, and play calls.  One play comes in and there are 3-4 concept plays in the same formation that they can change to at the line.  The OC "calls the play" but it's a play with multiple change options based on what the QB sees.

I can see why an OC may not want to coach a guy like Rodgers where there's a ton of ego and a 99% chance he changes every play, but the blame falls on the OC of it goes wrong. 

Either way, they brought in Hackett for Rodgers, so if they wanted to put someone higher, odds are that too was with Rodgers okay. 

I love when teams do what the Jets have done here surrendering their franchise to a player.  Cleveland and Watson, Denver with Wilson (and now they wear the cap hit to clean it up).... It basically never goes well.  Manning to Denver & Brady to TB were like the only time super stars of this level going to a new team worked, and frankly thats largely because they're hyper competitive but they're not the same head cases these other dudes are.  I'm sure both (especially Brady) are arrogant as hell, but they also "get it".  Rodgers has proven time and again he only cares about Rodgers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Hackett is trash. This was known prior to him even going to NY. The only reason he was hired is to appease Rodgers. He's like the wish.com version of Adam Gase. 

• Like (+1) 4

Any time a division rival is in Turmoil is a very good thing for us,  more sweat tent time for stoner boy will fix things right up down in Jersey…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They should have just asked Bills fans before they hired this loser. 

I would have fully endorsed him! Perfect for any team that the Bills play twice annually.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MR8 said:

Rodgers has the same situation Brady and Manning had.  They have a massive voice in game plan, packages, and play calls.  One play comes in and there are 3-4 concept plays in the same formation that they can change to at the line.  The OC "calls the play" but it's a play with multiple change options based on what the QB sees.

I can see why an OC may not want to coach a guy like Rodgers where there's a ton of ego and a 99% chance he changes every play, but the blame falls on the OC of it goes wrong. 

Either way, they brought in Hackett for Rodgers, so if they wanted to put someone higher, odds are that too was with Rodgers okay. 

I love when teams do what the Jets have done here surrendering their franchise to a player.  Cleveland and Watson, Denver with Wilson (and now they wear the cap hit to clean it up).... It basically never goes well.  Manning to Denver & Brady to TB were like the only time super stars of this level going to a new team worked, and frankly thats largely because they're hyper competitive but they're not the same head cases these other dudes are.  I'm sure both (especially Brady) are arrogant as hell, but they also "get it".  Rodgers has proven time and again he only cares about Rodgers.

The issue with Rodgers is he is a bad team player. He’s a “me guy” through and through. He demands control and sprints away from accountability, then publicly blames everybody around him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mango said:

The issue with Rodgers is he is a bad team player. He’s a “me guy” through and through. He demands control and sprints away from accountability, then publicly blames everybody around him. 

Absolutely.  Rodgers did the same manure in Green Bay, but Green Bay is a backwater compared to the New York metro so his selfishness wasn't really spotlighted outside of Packers Nation.   Not many Packers fans cried when Rodgers packed his bags and left for the Big Apple, and it's become very clear why. 

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

https://sny.tv/articles/jets-mailbag-confidence-level-nathanial-hackett

Hell of an organization they got there

“But then there’s Hackett. The Jets made legitimate attempts this offseason to hire someone who would, essentially, replace Hackett. Not as a new offensive coordinator, but a title above who would run the show. The Jets had enough things they needed to address this offseason without replacing areas they’re content with. That pursuit tells me, internally, there are legitimate concerns with Hackett’s ability to successfully run things.”

Hackett is the Peterson of the coaching ranks.   He somehow is able to find these lucrative jobs in spite of mediocre performance.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Hackett may draw up the plays, but I think on game day it's going to be Aaron Rodgers calling the shots as long as he's healthy.

40 going on 41 coming off a serious injury. Tyrod Taylor will be starting many games for them this season.

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They should have just asked Bills fans before they hired this loser. 

I would have said “please do, give him a long term contract and all the control he asks for.”  I try to be helpful where possible……as a Bills fan. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, H2o said:

Hackett is trash. This was known prior to him even going to NY. The only reason he was hired is to appease Rodgers. He's like the wish.com version of Adam Gase. 

image.png.8a5c02ab18e840f8d0c3ddff5ea51272.png

"There’s nothing I look back on and say, 'I wish I would have done this over that.' "

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

lol, this trade and subsequent fallout just gets better and better. set the franchise back years, maybe a decade. they are so screwed.

17.1M Cap hit this year

51.5M next year if he plays - if he doesn't... it's a 49M cap hit and in 2026 they'd be free.  If he does play then in 2026 they get 35M in dead cap.  

I think for them ideally he plays the next 2, Wilson and Sauce 5th year options are in 2026 so major extension money will begin in 2027.  

Posted (edited)

The nepotism in the NFL is wild.

Don't get me wrong, nepotism is everywhere. It's amazing that a guy like Hackett, who should be an OC of a D3 football team at this point, is still getting chances. He basically destroyed the Broncos franchise. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Hackett may draw up the plays, but I think on game day it's going to be Aaron Rodgers calling the shots as long as he's healthy.

Rodgers was apparently calling plays while injured.