Jets tried to hire a new OC

26 minutes ago, Malazan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-played-role-in-jets-upset-win-over-eagles-by-suggesting-play-calls-to-n-y-coaches-per-report/

There also quite a bit of speculation given Rodgers permanently having one of the limited number of headsets and his body language / talking prior to the snap on the Jets forum(s) that he was defacto coordinator at times throughout the season once he returned from his recovery.

What leads you to believe this? Matt Lafluer has called plays in Green bay since he arrived.

Jesus. You're right. I had forgotten that. All the more reason to feel comfortable saying I think Hackett stinks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Hold that thought a moment.

Rodgers has been in the league since 2005, starting since 2008.  

That's like a 23 year stretch.

If it's nothing to do with the OC and all to do with Rodgers, the reason Rodgers hasn't looked like that his whole time in Green Bay is ??

Youre kidding right? Rodgers has been seen as an elite QB his entire career.

On 5/14/2024 at 10:57 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m not sure they even make the playoffs. Bills and Dolphins should at least split with the Jets if not sweep them. 

AFC is loaded too

Bills 

Bengals

Chiefs

Texans

Ravens

Browns

Steelers

Colts

Jags

All these teams are legit playoff contenders. Colts nearly made it with Gardner Minshew last year. 

The Jets coaching is awful. Hackett is horrible and Salah hasn’t proven anything besides he can coach a good defense that has also been absolutely shredded at times. I see the Jets as a fringe playoff team and coaching is their biggest hurdle. Can Hackett be out of the way enough to not be an issue? Is Rodgers going to be good at 40 when he is mulling his next career? 

The jets have more hype than they should

Saleh to me seems inconsistent.  They pull out some great games but lay so many duds.  Talent-wise that's a great team, especially the D.  Lucky for us there's the Hacket factor.

On 5/15/2024 at 4:14 AM, GreggTX said:

CJ Spiller up the middle all day! What more do you need to know?

I remember those run run pass punt days 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Youre kidding right? Rodgers has been seen as an elite QB his entire career.

No question about it.  But the fact is, his offensive output as a QB has risen and ebbed, and I tend to think the OC and talent around him did have an impact there.  Just sayin!

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Hackett has had 10 seasons as an OC or HC.

In those 10 seasons, he has posted 3 top ten finishes in points scored (2 of them with Rodgers as QB).

In the remaining 7 seasons, his offenses have finished: 22nd, 18th, 25th, 31st, 15th, 32nd, and 29th.

So he has shown that if he has an elite QB, he can coordinate a top 10 offense. He did also have a good offensive season with Jacksonville with a bad QB, as you point out. But given that his bad offensive performances with average to bad QBs outweigh his lone good "Bad QB" season six to one, I'd argue that that good season looks more like an abberation.

Give him Aaron Rodgers, and he can call a game. Give him anyone else, and it's statistically very likely that he's going to post a below average season. 

I don't think he's good, and I don't think he's going to continue to get OC jobs once Rodgers hangs up his cleats.

Fair points well made.  Certainly I would argue that Denver showed that as HC, Hackett had been promoted above his level of competence.

I guess from what @Malazan and others are saying, maybe there are questions about whether in fact Hackett had ever truly had responsibility for the game plan and calling the game, since people believe Matt LaFluer called plays in Green Bay and it was believed Marrone did so in Buffalo and Jax.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1