Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

If he can learn that easily, why has he not learned it. Dude was a 5th year senior.

He's a late bloomer but nonetheless a bloomer and the arrow is definitely up on this kid. 

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/carolina/gamecocks-xavier-legette-is-overlooked-no-longer/article_4f212004-52fb-11ee-8627-7bf360310517.html

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Logic said:

I know this is already in the "NFL draft rumors" thread, but given that it involves the team this forum is based on, and involves the position we all know they desperately need, and given that it's based on the reporting of at least one credible source....surely it deserves its own thread, no? I can't be the only one who doesn't regularly check the draft rumors thread. If it gets merged, so be it.

Road sodas has anti sources.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, longtimebillsfan said:

I disagree it is lazy thinking, but you are entitled to yout opinion.

For years, many posters here have lamented that the Bills should not have wasted draft capitol to move up when that draft was do deep at wr.  That sounds very similar to this draft.  "Those that don't remember history are doomed to repeat it"

Fans get so pumped up about certain players because these self appointed "draft experts" hype them in their mock drafts.

The Bills have too many needs to burn draft picks on an unnecessary move up.

There was another thread started recently that made the point that regardless of which wr the Bills pick in the draft, they would still need a #1 wr.  The op made a valid point in that thread.

This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

Um, it’s a different world than 10 years ago. The Bills have a franchise QB. The cost for a high end WR is roughly double the cap space that it was a decade ago. There are LOTS of logical reasons to go way up. Sammy Watkins not working out 10 years ago isn’t even a data point that the Bills are considering when deciding what to do. There is no correlation between him not working out and the 2024 Bills draft. Julio Jones is a better example because the Falcons had a high end starter and wanted to get him a star. That’s infinitely more relevant to this conversation but still isn’t a factor in the Bills decision making process. 

Secondly, the college game changed the pro game not the other way around. NFL spread offenses designed to get the ball to playmakers in space are just copies of  college offenses. Receivers translate easily and for those of us that watch a lot of college football, those guys are easily identifiable.

Does someone really believe that the WR that the Bills draft will not be their number 1 immediately?? 😂😂 Is that for real? The Bills have a solid slot WR with good production on low volume. They have a gadget guy that is good with the ball in his hands. If we do not understand that the draft pick walks off the bus as the alpha in the WR room we do not understand the current WR room.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Road sodas has anti sources.

I wonder how many people still get this reference? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Um, it’s a different world than 10 years ago. The Bills have a franchise QB. The cost for a high end WR is roughly double the cap space that it was a decade ago. There are LOTS of logical reasons to go way up. Sammy Watkins not working out 10 years ago isn’t even a data point that the Bills are considering when deciding what to do. There is no correlation between him not working out and the 2024 Bills draft. Julio Jones is a better example because the Falcons had a high end starter and wanted to get him a star. That’s infinitely more relevant to this conversation but still isn’t a factor in the Bills decision making process. 

Secondly, the college game changed the pro game not the other way around. NFL spread offenses designed to get the ball to playmakers in space are just copies of  college offenses. Receivers translate easily and for those of us that watch a lot of college football, those guys are easily identifiable.

Does someone really believe that the WR that the Bills draft will not be their number 1 immediately?? 😂😂 Is that for real? The Bills have a solid slot WR with good production on low volume. They have a gadget guy that is good with the ball in his hands. If we do not understand that the draft pick walks off the bus as the alpha in the WR room we do not understand the current WR room.

What hasn't changed is the fact that many wrs taken after the 1st round will exceed some of these 1st round "studs" in their NFL careers.

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I completely agree with all of this. My guess is that NE likes two of the top three, or one of the latter two thirds of that analysis, and they might be open to the AJ Smith model of loading up the rest of the roster now and plugging in the QB in the next year or two.  

On the receivers point, I agree with the odds of success favoring a young QB with that pair in place.  But, if the Vikings need to generate extra draft capital to make the move, and if they feel strongly enough about the guy they're moving for, flipping one of those guys to get it done isn't an outlandish idea.  Jefferson's intermittent friction with Cousins is in the back of my mind on this one.  If that guy didn't like Cousins, and he's approaching extension territory, then I wonder how he's going to do with Darnold as a journeyman placeholder, or with Daniels/Maye/McCarthy/whomever trying to figure things out on the fly.  

EDIT - 

I'll add this.  I'm wrestling with Jefferson's value this morning.  Is it a pair of ones?  Is it a 1 + 2?  Maybe a 1 + a future 2?  Or could it be as low as a 1 given what is likely to be an enormous financial commitment?  I don't know.  From the Bills' perspective, adding a guy with that type of salary is completely contrary to what they appear to be trying to do after getting Diggs out of the locker room.  But if I'm Beane . . . it doesn't hurt to check on the price.  

No way JJ goes for just a 1 we have seen other players go for more and still get paid big money.

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Dealing from a  position of weakness is going to cost a ton.

I agree. This is how I see it playing out. We get into the top 9 for a top 3 WR, but the price will be steeper than most here expect. This team will have to win with offense this season and they need a stud WR for the offense to do that. The fact that the team is at the forefront of PSL sales and needs to keep the fan base stoked adds pressure from the top. 2025 draft capital will be sacrificed. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree. This is how I see it playing out. We get into the top 9 for a top 3 WR, but the price will be steeper than most here expect. This team will have to win with offense this season and they need a stud WR for the offense to do that. The fact that the team is at the forefront of PSL sales and needs to keep the fan base stoked adds pressure from the top. 2025 draft capital will be sacrificed. 

And not for nothing but Beane has publicly lamented about not "bottoming out" like the Bengals did when they were able to draft Chase.  If you think you need a Chase to get past early-round playoff exits (and I think they might need that, or at least believe that they do), you make the sacrifice, go get one and figure out next year's draft next year.

• Like (+1) 7

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kevin Massare gets it and that’s enough for me.

• Haha (+1) 2

Sure.

The question is whether they are already committed to the idea or whether they're trying to figure out how much it would cost to move up in case someone they like fell to, say, 20th.

I'm pretty much completely sure they're kicking the tires on move-ups and finding out the values. 

Far less convinced that this is their number one choice, the way they want it to go. My bet is they're also checking out move-downs in case things fall the right way. That they want to be absolutely prepared no matter what happens.

My guess is that the odds are probably somewhere around 30 - 60% that they move up a bit for a Thomas or a Legette or a Mitchell depending how things fall and how much they like whoever they really like. 

They move up a few spots with fair regularity.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sure.

The question is whether they are already committed to the idea or whether they're trying to figure out how much it would cost to move up in case someone they like fell to, say, 20th.

I'm pretty much completely sure they're kicking the tires on move-ups and finding out the values. 

Far less convinced that this is their number one choice, the way they want it to go. My bet is they're also checking out move-downs in case things fall the right way. That they want to be absolutely prepared no matter what happens.

My guess is that the odds are probably somewhere around 30 - 60% that they move up a bit for a Thomas or a Legette or a Mitchell depending how things fall and how much they like whoever they really like. 

They move up a few spots with fair regularity.

Wasn't it in the same draft where Beane moved up to get Allen he also moved up to get Edmunds. If I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the cost controlled IS the reason that a 2nd number 1 comes into play. The top WRs now account for like 12% of the cap (by the time Aiyuk, Higgins & Jefferson sign). It’s the 2nd most important position on the team (or at least right there with pass rusher). Top QBs, which we have, account for like 20% of the cap. It simply isn’t very easy to have both. You spend the draft capital on WR to free up cap space to spend on other areas.

As an example, you could use 2 firsts and 2 seconds to move up for a number 1 WR. I’m not saying that you do or don’t do this. This is a hypothetical to illustrate my point. By using that capital to get the number 1 WR you save the $30M annually that it would cost to sign someone like that. You can then spend $8M on S, $12M on a pass rusher, $4M on a CB, $4M on a RB & $2M on a DT. So while you do not have as many picks to get those positions you can buy them instead. You’ll need to have cost controlled assets somewhere and in this example it is at WR. The point being that there are multiple ways to build a roster and decisions can’t be made in a vacuum because they are all intertwined. So while the cost to go way up, limits the high end swings you can take over the next few drafts, it also frees the balance sheet to be more aggressive in FA.

Now obviously, if you can find elite talent without having to go up that’s even better. There’s a reason though that some prospects are universally ranked above others. If you go up you’re paying for that prospect’s ceiling and floor. 

I understand the cost savings but to get one of the top 3 guys where the floor is high enough with the ceiling also being high, I have a hard time finding the cost to just not be prohibitive. Getting to the top 10 will likely cost 2 1s and 2 2s.  In your example you get starter level players but not difference makers to pair with your wr.  A 4 million corner and 2 million dt are bargain players and possible liabilities.  

BTJ has enough question marks that I don't know that he will become one of those $30 million guys so giving a ton up for him makes me really nervous.

I'm not against it, it just makes me uncomfortable. Having the Vikings 2nd next year helps a ton.  They can perhaps do something like 28, 60, and both 2nds next year.  That would be great for the Bills I just wonder if any team will delay gratification for a year and slide all the way down. 

I think the Bears are locked on odunze as williams and he appear to have a bromance brewing.  So nabers is really the only option between 5 and 8.  I really feel minnesota is going to 5 and Schoen is fighting for his job so I don't think those are options.  Now we are down to 7 or 8.  Are tenn or atl with new head coaches going to want to punt on adding premier talent and slide all the way down to 28? Not unless they get blown away by an offer imo.

1 minute ago, section122 said:

I understand the cost savings but to get one of the top 3 guys where the floor is high enough with the ceiling also being high, I have a hard time finding the cost to just not be prohibitive. Getting to the top 10 will likely cost 2 1s and 2 2s.  In your example you get starter level players but not difference makers to pair with your wr.  A 4 million corner and 2 million dt are bargain players and possible liabilities.  

BTJ has enough question marks that I don't know that he will become one of those $30 million guys so giving a ton up for him makes me really nervous.

I'm not against it, it just makes me uncomfortable. Having the Vikings 2nd next year helps a ton.  They can perhaps do something like 28, 60, and both 2nds next year.  That would be great for the Bills I just wonder if any team will delay gratification for a year and slide all the way down. 

I think the Bears are locked on odunze as williams and he appear to have a bromance brewing.  So nabers is really the only option between 5 and 8.  I really feel minnesota is going to 5 and Schoen is fighting for his job so I don't think those are options.  Now we are down to 7 or 8.  Are tenn or atl with new head coaches going to want to punt on adding premier talent and slide all the way down to 28? Not unless they get blown away by an offer imo.

“What if the Rams trade all those picks and don’t win the Super Bowl?”

Oh well. They did. Get uncomfy!

Who dares wins.

Edited by FireChans

Just now, FireChans said:

“What if the Rams trade all those picks and don’t win the Super Bowl?”

Oh well. They did.

Who dares wins.

What? Lol

The Rams are the exact opposite of what we are discussing.  They traded picks for established players.  If the discussion was trading their picks for jefferson then you could use the Rams as an example.

If they move up , spend some draft capital (but save on cap.) and it leads to success then I'm all for it. If we trade back and pick Kneeland at 40 like Bruce Nolan did I will lose my mind because that means we are still trying that failed strategy. Load up the offense and make McDermott's defense hold a bake sale.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

After sleeping on it, I still think the plan, in order of preference, is:

A) Trade up fairly high for Odunze or Nabers
B) Draft Xavier Worthy either at 28 or even after a small trade up

C) Trade down to net a 3rd round pick, draft one of Franklin, Legette, or McConkey

I'm sticking with that. Any outcome other than one of those three will actually surprise me.

The late-in-the-process smoke around trading up (for Odunze in particular) and the late checks on Worthy ring true to me. Many will say "smokescreen!", "lying season", etc, but...nah. I buy it.

Both guys would give our offense something it currently lacks. Odunze would give us a true playmaking X. Worthy would give us an explosive downfield and RAC threat that would open things up for the other guys.

We'll see in 40 hours or so!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

What? Lol

The Rams are the exact opposite of what we are discussing.  They traded picks for established players.  If the discussion was trading their picks for jefferson then you could use the Rams as an example.

It’s all risk. 

different degrees of risk, but risk all the same.

i'd take worthy because i think he can take the top off w allen (which we simply could not do last season), but i agree with others that being such a shrimp is a big concern, and maybe other guys in the draft project better for us.

Trading up or trading for a big time talent and then paying him (say JJ or aiyuk) is also a real option IMO.  diggs fell off terribly, so losing him really doesn't matter as much in the playoffs, but have to win the division and get there in the first place and we need season long production.  like the FO said, we need match up guys.  no one in the draft beats nebors or harrison jr at that, so i'm all for paying the king's ransom to get one.

Just now, FireChans said:

It’s all risk. 

different degrees of risk, but risk all the same.

Sure but the Rams traded for established studs in Ramsey, Stafford, and then Cooks.  In fact when they traded capital to use in the draft they got goff so again I think they run antithesis to this conversation.

35 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

What hasn't changed is the fact that many wrs taken after the 1st round will exceed some of these 1st round "studs" in their NFL careers.

Yep 

The draft is an inexact science. Recent early WRs have been good (Chase, Wilson, Olave, Flowers, Addison, etc..). The top 3 guys in this draft have graded out as high or higher than any WR in the previous 2 drafts. There is no sure thing but not everyone has the same likelihood to succeed either. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Sammy Watkins is absolutely a data point they've looked at. They'd be stupid not to, and they're not stupid.

Is it one of the main things they're looking at, no, almost certainly not, but the likelihood of top ten receivers succeeding in justifying their draft spots completely is decent, but far from great. Same was true back when we traded up for Sammy. Which means that drafting a receiver high is a very reasonable move, but giving up a lot of valuable draft picks to do so is really really not.

Julio Jones is also something they'll have looked at, but not a main focus. Julio is a case where they got that pick exactly right and it still didn't do enough to lift a 13-3 team enough to win a Super Bowl or even to being a really good team for most of Julio's stay there. The guys they lost the chance to pick in that trade appear to have hurt the team as much as having Julio helped it.

Sammy is part of the the phenomenon that Massey and Thaler reported on, that GMs consistently over-rate their ability to correctly know who to draft, and that inability to correctly  risks leads them to take risks that are stupid, specifically by giving up high round picks to move up to pick one guy. What they found is that moving up a bit doesn't seriously harm your odds, but that big move-ups should not be undertaken, as they significantly reduced the odds of draft success.

The way to maximize your draft success is to maximize the number of darts you can throw, particularly with valuable big-time picks. There is an exception: trading way up for a possible franchise QB is worth doing because your odds of teams success without a franchise QB are so low. The same can't be said for other positions.

And those guys are very very smart, they're not fans in Mom's basement. Thaler has won a Nobel Prize in behavioral economics, which is precisely the area they're looking at in this draft study. And all the studies - all of them - say the same. Drafting is too difficult. But these guys spend so much time studying and preparing and strategizing and discussing, that there tends to be a sense that with so much prep they gain more control. And you don't. These guys, NFL GMs, who know way more than the rest of us, still don't do well enough at picking to make really big trade-ups a good idea.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Indeed even the much lamented Sammy Watkins came in and WAS our number 1 immediately. That that is a trade that was seen to have failed for obvious reasons. But in 2014 he stepped onto the field as our #1 in week 1 and had 900+ yards. He had 1,000 yards and 9 touchdowns his second year. The reasons it fell apart after that are well documented and the Bills definitely drafted the wrong guy from that receiver class. But even then that guy gave their passing game an immediate and significant boost. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sammy Watkins is absolutely a data point they've looked at. They'd be stupid not to, and they're not stupid.

Is it one of the main things they're looking at, no, almost certainly not, but the likelihood of top ten receivers succeeding in justifying their draft spots completely is decent, but far from great. Same was true back when we traded up for Sammy. Which means that drafting a receiver high is a very reasonable move, but giving up a lot of valuable draft picks to do so is really really not.

Sammy is part of the the phenomenon that Massey and Thaler reported on, that GMs consistently over-rate their ability to correctly know who to draft, and that inability to correctly calculate risks leads them to take risks that are stupid, specifically by giving up high round picks to move up to pick one guy. What they found is that moving up a bit doesn't seriously harm your odds, but that big move-ups should not be undertaken, as they significantly reduced the odds of draft success.

The way to maximize your draft success is to maximize the number of darts you can throw, particularly with valuable big-time picks. There is an exception, trading way up for a possible franchise QB are worth doing because your odds of teams success without a franchise QB are so low. The same can't be said for other positions.

And those guys are very very smart, they're not fans in Mom's basement. Thaler has won a Nobel Prize in behavioral economics, which is precisely the area they're looking at in this draft study. And all the studies - all of them - say the same. Drafting is too difficult. But these guys spend so much time studying and preparing and strategizing and discussing, that there tends to be a sense that with so much prep they gain more control. And you don't. These guys, NFL GMs, who know way more than the rest of us, still don't do well enough at picking to make really big trade-ups a good idea.

That paper is from 2005 and based on data mostly from the  1980s/1990s, when some GMs were still consulting Street and Smith's to figure out who to take in the third round and/or spending top five picks on running backs. Teams have a LOT more resources now and are generally better evaluators than they were then. No one is trading an entire draft for Ricky Williams. And as for the model recently, just look at the Pats - they followed the Massey/Thaler advice yet from 2014-2023, yet their hordes of draft picks mostly resulted in a vast wasteland. Has anyone tried to replicate their analysis for this analytics-dominant era? I honestly suspect that the results will not be replicated.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sammy is part of the the phenomenon that Massey and Thaler reported on, that GMs consistently over-rate their ability to correctly know who to draft, and that inability to correctly calculate risks leads them to take risks that are stupid, specifically by giving up high round picks to move up to pick one guy. What they found is that moving up a bit doesn't seriously harm your odds, but that big move-ups should not be undertaken, as they significantly reduced the odds of draft success.

The way to maximize your draft success is to maximize the number of darts you can throw, particularly with valuable big-time picks. There is an exception, trading way up for a possible franchise QB are worth doing because your odds of teams success without a franchise QB are so low. The same can't be said for other positions.

Random things that didn’t work a decade ago, with different regimes, aren’t relevant. I promise you Sammy Watkins is not a part of the Bills decision making. There is no correlation. Julio is a better comparison and even that has no correlation. They will draft based on the quality of the players not a 2014 draft gamble. 

As @dave mcbride points out, the data and analytics today are light years beyond what they were even a decade ago. The draft bust rate would speak to that too. Teams hit at a much higher percentage in 2024 than they did even in 2014.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed even the much lamented Sammy Watkins came in and WAS our number 1 immediately. That that is a trade that was seen to have failed for obvious reasons. But in 2014 he stepped onto the field as our #1 in week 1 and had 900+ yards. He had 1,000 yards and 9 touchdowns his second year. The reasons it fell apart after that are well documented and the Bills definitely drafted the wrong guy from that receiver class. But even then that guy gave their passing game an immediate and significant boost. 

Yes, Sammy gave the passing game a significant boost. 

But he didn't give the win-loss record a boost at all. They scored four more points the year they brought in Sammy than they did the year before. What happened that year is the D got better and they won three more games, moving up to 9-7 and not doing any better than that very mediocre 9-7 for Sammy's whole tenure.

And the goal isn't to give the passing game a significant boost, or it shouldn't be. It should be to give the whole team a significant boost.

They should draft a WR in the top two rounds. Maybe even do a trade-up of a few spots.

58 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

For several years if they trade future picks.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's down to what Tyler Dunne said today:

The two scenarios for the Bills are either:

1) Trade up for Rome Odunze

2) Xavier Worthy

It's gonna be one of those two things.

I like the idea of both. A true alpha X receiver would be great. A truly electrifying Z receiver with terrifying speed to open up the middle for Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, and Cook is great. Either one would improve the Bills offense greatly. Two different flavors, but both would make us more dynamic.

I really believe it's down to those two options as the most likely.

I don't understand why people are enamored with Worthy. He is sooo skinny and one trick and that is NOT the kind of receiver we need. We lose to the Chiefs because we can't get off the line. We would probably have the smallest receiving corps in the NFL if we draft him. He will be a monumental bust, IMO. 

There is next to 0 chance Beane takes Worthy. 

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, Sammy gave the passing game a significant boost. 

But he didn't give the win-loss record a boost at all. They scored four more points the year they brought in Sammy than they did the year before. What happened that year is the D got better and they won three more games, moving up to 9-7 and not doing any better than that very mediocre 9-7 for Sammy's whole tenure.

And the goal isn't to give the passing game a significant boost, or it shouldn't be. It should be to give the whole team a significant boost.

They should draft a WR in the top two rounds. Maybe even do a trade-up of a few spots.

When you have Josh Allen at Quarterback I think one may well lead to the other. 

I'm not saying the Bills have to trade into the top 10. I was responding to the idea that a first round receiver pick wouldn't necessarily be the #1. I think it is very likely someone they take at #28 would be the #1 receiver in 2024. It is almost a guarantee someone they traded into the top 10 for would be the #1 on this team in 2024. 

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Random things that didn’t work a decade ago, with different regimes, aren’t relevant. I promise you Sammy Watkins is not a part of the Bills decision making. There is no correlation. Julio is a better comparison and even that has no correlation. They will draft based on the quality of the players not a 2014 draft gamble. 

True, random things aren't relevant.

But looking at how similar strategies have worked in the past is extremely relevant. It just is. There's no randomness involved here. They're looking at whether to follow the exact same strategy that produced the - failed - Sammy Watkins trade and many others besides. Un-random.

And again, there's no particular reason to think the Julio trade was a success. They got a terrific WR, an all-timer. And they went from a 13-3 record the year before they drafted him to never winning a Super Bowl and having far more losing years than winning years.

They will draft based on the quality of the players this year. Of course. Very fair and completely correct.

But if they are smart - and they are  - they will strategize whether or not to make trades and particularly what kind of trades to make or not make, based on what has worked and what has very notably NOT worked in the past.

Again, Massey-Thaler makes this clear. Massive trade-ups fail a lot more than they succeed.

4 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I don't understand why people are enamored with Worthy. He is sooo skinny and one trick and that is NOT the kind of receiver we need. We lose to the Chiefs because we can't get off the line. We would probably have the smallest receiving corps in the NFL if we draft him. He will be a monumental bust, IMO. 

I disagree strongly that he is a 1 trick pony.  He is indeed fast but he was the leading wr for texas with ad mitchell on the team.  He can play the position.  Being fast is the cherry on top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

True, random things aren't relevant.

But looking at how similar strategies have worked in the past is extremely relevant. It just is. There's no randomness involved here. They're looking at whether to follow the exact same strategy that produced the - failed - Sammy Watkins trade and many others besides. Un-random.

And again, there's no particular reason to think the Julio trade was a success. They got a terrific WR, an all-timer. And they went from a 13-3 record the year before they drafted him to never winning a Super Bowl and having far more losing years than winning years.

They will draft based on the quality of the players this year. Of course. Very fair and completely correct.

But if they are smart - and they are  - they will strategize whether or not to make trades and particularly what kind of trades to make or not make, based on what has worked and what has very notably NOT worked in the past.

Again, Massey-Thaler makes this clear. Massive trade-ups fail a lot more than they succeed.

If your analysis is 

“they didn’t win the Super Bowl so it wasn’t a good move,”

it’s not good analysis 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

As @dave mcbride points out, the data and analytics today are light years beyond what they were even a decade ago. The draft bust rate would speak to that too. Teams hit at a much higher percentage in 2024 than they did even in 2014.

I agree data and analytics are light years ahead which is why I will trust the process lol.  If Beane believes a trade way up is the best option I will believe they weighed all their options and determined this was the best course of action.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

If your analysis is 

“they didn’t win the Super Bowl so it wasn’t a good move,”

it’s not good analysis 

An hour ago you argued with me the Rams won the super bowl so it was a good move lol.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I don't think he's a 'one trick' type by any stretch.  The size issue is definitely a real concern,  IMO,  but he's otherwise a real receiver prospect,  not just a track guy running vertical routes.  He's been a 60+ catch guy three years in a row at Texas.  He can run routes. 

I'm not sure he's their first choice or anything,  but I definitely think he's in play for the Bills.   

Edited by Brandon

Just now, section122 said:

I agree data and analytics are light years ahead which is why I will trust the process lol.  If Beane believes a trade way up is the best option I will believe they weighed all their options and determined this was the best course of action.

An hour ago you argued with me the Rams won the super bowl so it was a good move lol.

No, I argued they risked and won. 

There is a difference. 

2 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

So there seems to be a lot of smoke regarding Worthy. I'm not totally opposed to it, but have flashbacks of Goodwin and/or Graham. My question is, if Worthy ran a 4.4 40 and not the fastest ever, would he still be regarded as a 1st round wr?

Yes. Years of production. Elite ball tracking. Plays bigger than his listed size. Good route runner.

I did not like him breaking the 40 record because I liked him as a prospect pre-Combine and assumed people would then be asking your very question. I also buy that he cut down to 165 lbs just so he could break that record but usually plays closer to 175.