Pegulas selling 25% of the Bills, per Tim Graham

Announced on a Friday afternoon 5 days before the draft.  

Pegula is worse than a politician.  

And where is he?  

Diggs traded 

Granato fired

Minority sale of team

Nothing to see here.   

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I know you are joking but the gas from such a well is currently selling for historically low prices. The US is producing way too much natural gas right now. 

Yeah,,. Just kidding … he has said this before though right ? 

4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Guessing Jessica pegula doesn't want it 😔

I love her. She is her Mom’s child. She’s still near the top of women’s tennis, but if down the line she became more heavily involved I think that would be great. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

And where is he?  

Diggs traded 

Granato fired

Minority sale of team

Nothing to see here.   

Hating Pegula for no reason is senseless 

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

Interesting considering there were rumors about him trying to sell the Sabres yesterday

It's entirely possible he has rethought his position with owning the Bills and Sabres due to his wife's health.

I still think this is a weird move; wanting to transition to a different stage of life without the burden of these teams is one thing, but why sell 25% of it?  Is he hurting for cash and needs some liquidity?

Why?

17 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Correction - Everything but 75 percent of the Bills..

The funny thing is that for the last several years, their actions with regard to the Sabres could be viewed as preparatory steps to selling the franchise.  They had things stripped pretty clean at one point. 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Makes zero sense to me.  Can't believe the Pegula's have money issues.

Really? The stadium cost went up another $100 million in the time it took me to write this.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

The ultimate PSL

Own a team...get no say in anything.

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If you believe the rumors, they have been trying to sell the Sabres for about 9 months now. 

12oz sports. Is that like ESPN? They have a website so you know it's legit.

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hating Pegula for no reason is senseless 

But it is what we do.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

….or kicking a ball. That is so childish. 

That and miss pronouncing “Aluminum” 😂 on purpose, 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

Can someone break this down for an idiot like me and tell me what this means?

The new stadium raises the value of the team substantially. The Pegulas are cashing out on some of that.

Ultimately money talks, but the NFL prefers that prospective majority owners first buy a minority stake in a NFL team. The minority stake does not have to be in the team that they ultimately acquire a majority stake in.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm purchasing the 25 percent and the first thing I am gonna do is shut down this forum and start a new one, 😁but if u wanna join u gonna have to pay me a fpl (forum post license)

Edited by billybob71

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

With the new stadium being built I am not worried about them moving. Didn't the Bills sign a long-term lease to remain in Buffalo with the new stadium on the way. 

NFL franchises are valuable enough a buyer could pay off the stadium and buy the team to move it.

NFL ownership  is a pretty good place to park $1Billion and be almost guaranteed to to get a good return on that $1B.  For Pegula, he gets a nice chunk of cash, maintains control, and gets another billionaire with some skin in the game in Western NY.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That and miss pronouncing “Aluminum” 😂 on purpose, 🤣

I started a job once on the same day as another guy and we became friends. His last name was Ruggerio, nice guy from Chicago. So, I’m sitting in his office one day and I notice his name plate says Ruggiero. I had to ask if he spelled his own name wrong, or just pronounced it wrong. 

Say it out loud. 

He seemed genuinely confused. No, that’s the way it is. Okay then……. 🤷‍♂️

Some kitchen stuff is one thing, but your own NAME??? 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

And where is he?  

Diggs traded 

Granato fired

Minority sale of team

Nothing to see here.   

But it's Happy Hour!

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

And where is he?  

When did he announce anything?

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

pretty simple....he has a cash flow problem to pay for the new stadium cost overuns.

I doubt that this is the case. He could borrow the money if he didn’t want to liquidate other assets. The business model of buying a sports team, building a largely publicly funded stadium/arena/field/etc and then selling part or all of said team is well worn.

56 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is correct. As I mentioned above, if the Pegulas did ever sell the team to a buyer at the team value of $5B, it would only cost that buyer 16% more to move the team.

Some people would simply see that as a cost of doing business. 

But moving is not a concern right now. This minority sale of the team is simply due to PSL's not selling as they hoped.

This is what I've been saying. Anyone wanting to take the Bills elsewhere would look at that penalty as a minor inconvenience.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, benderbender said:

Slightly annoying. There’s no “mini” in aluminum. But somehow it ends up in there. 

This whole "Aluminium is not a 5-syllable word" stuff better be over before I count to free.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

They have billions of assets that they would be used to get any loan they want.

It just doesn't make sense to lose 25% of the profit every year, and even worse, to lose 25% of the value of the franchise.  Unless the Pegula's know the NFL has reached it's peak and profits, along with franchise values will decrease, it doesn't make sense to do it now, unless they want straight cash for something. 

I know that Biden wants to absolutely destroy estate taxes and I wonder how the estate works with PSE, Bills, Sabres, etc.  I just pray that it's set up in a way that estate taxes would have no impact on anything when they pass.

It’s an NFL team. He wants to keep it for obvious reasons. It makes so much money he won’t mind having a minority owner with a 25% share. 

53 minutes ago, Process said:

I honestly think this new stadium is going to be a disaster. The Buffalo market cannot support it, very simply there are not enough people who are able or willing to spend a **** ton of money to sit outside in garbage weather. I bet they are going to sell significantly less in PSLs than anticipated. 

From what I'm reading in the PSL thread, they are not having any trouble selling them.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Which means what exactly?

I think a lot of how he handles the team and how he’s publicly portrayed and the public portrayals of the team are similar to a politician that wants to maintain narrative control.   

To some extent that’s ok I just think he’s way too far - to the point he’d rather avoid even talking to the public - remember his early days as Sabres owner some of his press conferences were awkward like he didn’t want to be doing it or didn’t know how to communicate.  

Edited by Big Blitz

Just now, Big Blitz said:

I think a lot of how he handles the team and how he’s publicly portrayed and the public portrayals of the team are similar to a politician that wants to maintain narrative control.   

To some extent that’s ok I just think he’s way too far - to the point he’d rather avoid even talking to the public.  

The man never says anything. People complain because he never talks to the press. I still don't get what you're seeing.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is what I've been saying. Anyone wanting to take the Bills elsewhere would look at that penalty as a minor inconvenience.

That Billsiest of all time Billsy moves to build a new $2.5B stadium at taxpayers expense and then relocate to a different city and abandon it.

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

It is bonkers. I totally agree. 

Also, if he can find a buyer committed to keeping the Sabres in Buffalo for eternity he should 100% do that. They are valued at $900M and he is the worst owner the league has ever seen. 

Or maybe this is the best route? That means somebody else could be in the room with Terry and he can help save this franchise from the ol' Ter-Bear when it comes time to eventually replace Beane/Allen. The Sabres also act as a distraction for Terry. I imagine Brandon Beane waving the Sabres around like an imaginary ball for a dog to get Terry out of the room. 

Why on earth would anyone want to own a team in this town? Every time your team loses, people blame you and demand you sell the team.