NFL draft rumors 2024

8 hours ago, Process said:

I doubt Latu falling to the second round is actually realistic but if he does Bills should make a move up to take him. We need a starting DE and he'd be our best shot to get one past round 1. Worth the risk. 

If Thomas is gone and he makes it to 24-26, we gotta make the move.

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

I have to back up what is said about Coleman. 

I know his testing has him down in the eyes of many, and I'm not sure I love the idea of taking him in RD1, but it's hard to square his testing numbers with how he looked on the field.  They don't match up.  

He might be good with a QB like Tom Brady, but not so much with Josh…Allen needs guys who separate…👍

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

"HANGING" is the proper word to describe how DBs defend him. You can also use the words grabbing and clutching. He WAS the best player on the field that game and that includes Nabers, Thomas and Daniels

It would be so “Billsy” to acknowledge you need to get more explosive on offense, only to draft someone slower than Gabe Davis…😉

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, msw2112 said:

What a shocker.  They release their two veteran former all-pro caliber starting safeties, replacing them with only 2 mid-tier veterans without a ton of starting experience (one of whom was already on the roster), and have 11 draft picks, and they're "considering" safety help in the draft.  Stop the presses.

I think it's worth considering how the Bills acquired their all-pro caliber starting safeties.

Green Bay had 5th round pick Micah Hyde playing nickel corner and backup at safety - couldn't really decide what he was.  He bounced between nickelback and starting at free or strong safety when a starter was injured.  He played out his rookie contract, and they let him walk.

The Eagles released 7th round pick Poyer and the Browns picked him up as a backup safety.  It took 3 years for him to work his way into the starting lineup, then he lacerated his kidney, they IR'd him, and let him walk.

I think Beane has a lot of confidence in their ability to identify talent at DB in later rounds.  Whether that's "good enough", I don't know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Please educate me: why not?

Some folks have written extensively pro and con. I can't do them justice briefly. Since I am in the opposition to Coleman, at least at #28, the case against is that historically, WRs with 4.6 forty times have a low rate of success. He doesn't give you explosiveness or separation. He wins contested balls, and he may have a harder time doing that in the pros when the dbs are bigger and faster. Those who like him think he would thrive with Allen, and like that he can bulldoze players on the other side of the ball. We don't have that now, unless Shorter emerges as a player, I guess.

Some analyses suggest that players with his size and relative lack of speed may do well as a big slot, but I don't want a WR that needs to take snaps from Kincaid to be successful. Overall, I prefer Legette if we don't make an expensive play for a big 3 WR or Thomas. I also prefer Mitchell, even though he probably has as many detractors as those who don't want Coleman. And naturally, if we do take him, I hope he will be a smashing success.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Please educate me: why not?

16 hours ago, H2o said:

I, personally, don't like him because of the same things KDIGGZ was talking about. He doesn't really separate. He's not really going to give you anything after the catch. He basically uses his body to box out smaller DB's. It worked in college to a certain extent, and it's not bad to have in the Red Zone, but it's not 1st Round, #28 worthy in hopes that he is going to become a legit boundary threat in the NFL. He'll be average at best. A 3rd or 4th WR. More than 1/3 of his season yardage totals and TD's came in 2 games, LSU and against Syracuse. He played in 10 others to the tune of 396 yards and 7 TD's. He's the college version of what Gabe Davis was for us in the NFL. I'd be extremely disappointed if Beane turned in that card. 

If you read through the thread, you will see my short discussion with mannc on this topic. We need that go-to, game breaker WR. Not a guy who is on fire 2 weeks out of 12. We just had one of those, the NFL version. That's a pass from me.  

Edited by H2o

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

If you read through the thread, you will see my short discussion with mannc on this topic. We need that go-to, game breaker WR. Not a guy who is on fire 2 weeks out of 12. We just had one of those, the NFL version. That's a pass from me.  

My comp for Keon is a slightly better Gabe Davis. That is who I see. And if you think back to his rookie year when Gabe played some big slot as well as some boundary receiver you saw some of the ways you can move Coleman around and use the bigger body. I think Keon does have better hands than Gabe and I think he give you more YAC potential with the ball in his hands. But in terms of his limitations as a separator and a route runner and the inconsistency you see in contested catch scenarios on his tape.... it is very Gabe to me. I had a 3rd on Gabe back in 2020, I have a higher grade on Keon (a late 2nd) - I do think he'd be an upgrade on Gabe - but I don't think he has anything like #1 receiver potential. He is a solid #2 as his ceiling IMO. That isn't worth a first round pick. I've mentioned it before and I mocked it in my v1.0 two rounder but I really like the fit with the Saints where I think his skillset is the perfect compliment for Chris Olave. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stokes84 said:

I love the pre-draft hot takes.  I remember A LOT that looked just like this about Josh Allen.

:huh: Did you just compare Keon Coleman to JA17 in a roundabout way? :lol: I don't think I've heard anyone say Keon has the "potential" to be the generational talent like they did with Josh at the QB position. You saw the flashes of brilliance with Josh. I can't say that there is anything "generational" I have seen from Coleman. 

It's not a hot take, it's what you see on film. He has trouble separating. He also is not very consistent like GB mentions above in his route running and whatnot. A lot of the times you see the hand-fighting and push-offs so he can have enough separation to get the ball at the catch point. Now does he do well with the ball in the air, and contested catches? Yes. But we need a guy who can shake free and get loose from any defender, who is also more than what Keon Coleman is. GB says late 2nd, but I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 3rd. We don't have a 3rd (thanks NFL). Now take into account, this below is a "highlight reel" so it doesn't show the disappearing act that would take place. It doesn't show him being locked down by opposing DB's or him not being able to shake coverage. But even in the highlights, you see what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Well this is just flat out not true. Even his critics would say those are his two best traits.

Not from what I’ve studied. And just because YAC is his best trait doesn’t mean he’s good at it. 

I’ve said all along the last 6 months, Coleman is Gabe Davis 2.0

Edited by DJB
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Stokes84 said:

I love the pre-draft hot takes.  I remember A LOT that looked just like this about Josh Allen.

That doesn't mean anything other than the future is an unknown, and the draft an uncertain science. Some folks think you should never trade up for WR because Sammy Watkins, and others counter with Julio Jones. A lot of it has to do with particular fit with what a team needs, and the coaching staff available, injury luck, for a WR the QB in place. Coleman runs a 4.6, doesn't have explosive separation, needs to play in a big slot probably to be successful, so he would take snaps from Kincaid. You want to make a case for other side, have at it. 

• Disagree 1

The more i think about it, i think we should just let the board fall to us or even trade back, get a couple extra picks and make a splash in the 2nd and 3rd (if we end up getting a 3rd round pick with trades).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I am betting we trade 28 to Carllina for 33 and a 3rd.  1st pick of the 2nd round which gives us tons of ammo.

I’m betting that doesn’t happen. It would be a massive overpay by Carolina. A move from 33 to 28 would be worth less than their fourth round pick at 101.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m betting that doesn’t happen. It would be a massive overpay by Carolina. A move from 33 to 28 would be worth less than their fourth round pick at 101.

I got to thinking about that.  We would have to toss in some lower picks, but it would be worth it.  If not, I think Washington as 2 picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think it's worth considering how the Bills acquired their all-pro caliber starting safeties.

Green Bay had 5th round pick Micah Hyde playing nickel corner and backup at safety - couldn't really decide what he was.  He bounced between nickelback and starting at free or strong safety when a starter was injured.  He played out his rookie contract, and they let him walk.

The Eagles released 7th round pick Poyer and the Browns picked him up as a backup safety.  It took 3 years for him to work his way into the starting lineup, then he lacerated his kidney, they IR'd him, and let him walk.

I think Beane has a lot of confidence in their ability to identify talent at DB in later rounds.  Whether that's "good enough", I don't know.

We can grab safeties in the 4th - 7th rounds and let them develop.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Have we decided if it’s better or worse to have a first round pick (along with the 5th year option) vs an early second? 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I am leaning more and more that the Bills should try to trade back into the early 2nd and get back a 3rd rounder. Draft a boundary guy like Legette or roll the dice on a guy like Worthy and grab Tez Walker later.

Same here.  If we could add a 3rd and still land Mcconkey, Legette, Mitchell, Franklin or worthy I’d be happy.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I got to thinking about that.  We would have to toss in some lower picks, but it would be worth it.  If not, I think Washington as 2 picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Going by the JJ chart we’d have to throw in every day 3 pick we have (except our 7th rounder) to make up the difference. Carolina would not do that. The Bills wouldn’t want to either. 

Washington could be a reasonable trade partner. Something like 28 and 128 for 40 and 78 makes sense. 

Trade value chart

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Yea it'd likely be #28 for #33 and #101 (a small but pretty normal overpay) and if needed to get it over the line the Bills would throw in maybe #204 or something. Then from there the Bills could get up into the range of our original 3rd (i.e. bottom of the round) by using #101 and their first of three 5ths.... #144. 

Not saying that trade will happen but if it does that is the value and the way Beane could manufacture a 3rd rounder. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sweats said:

The more i think about it, i think we should just let the board fall to us or even trade back, get a couple extra picks and make a splash in the 2nd and 3rd (if we end up getting a 3rd round pick with trades).

I am warming up to this as well. Either a huge move to get one of the top 3, or trade back. There are so many good WRs in this draft, really good prospects are going to end up falling to early-mid second round. 

• Like (+1) 1

If a receiver the Bills like is available at 28 I hope they just take him.  Don’t move down a few spots to pick up another draft pick.  Beane and his scouts have these guys in a particular order.   Don’t overthink this, take the best receiver and get ready for day two…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Some folks have written extensively pro and con. I can't do them justice briefly. Since I am in the opposition to Coleman, at least at #28, the case against is that historically, WRs with 4.6 forty times have a low rate of success. He doesn't give you explosiveness or separation. He wins contested balls, and he may have a harder time doing that in the pros when the dbs are bigger and faster. Those who like him think he would thrive with Allen, and like that he can bulldoze players on the other side of the ball. We don't have that now, unless Shorter emerges as a player, I guess.

Some analyses suggest that players with his size and relative lack of speed may do well as a big slot, but I don't want a WR that needs to take snaps from Kincaid to be successful. Overall, I prefer Legette if we don't make an expensive play for a big 3 WR or Thomas. I also prefer Mitchell, even though he probably has as many detractors as those who don't want Coleman. And naturally, if we do take him, I hope he will be a smashing success.

Thank you very much, this is exactly the high-level summary I was looking for.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Dammit Von

now it’s never going to happen. 

Could a trade for #4 happen before the draft?  None of the top 3 teams are going to trade down and give up their QB…right?

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Dammit Von

now it’s never going to happen. 

Well there you have it folks, we are def not trading up for a WR because Von Miller has never been right about anything Bills personnel wise.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Process said:

I am warming up to this as well. Either a huge move to get one of the top 3, or trade back. There are so many good WRs in this draft, really good prospects are going to end up falling to early-mid second round. 

Love this as SOP for the draft on a continuing basis. Once you've got a franchise QB in place you need to maximize the draft return each year to ensure ongoing cap health and position group pipelines. 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:29 PM, Dr. Who said:

Why can't Kincaid play the TE position? Because they have to make room for an overpaid Dalton Knox? Wouldn't Kincaid be more potent there allowing Coleman to play the big slot? Didn't Coleman run one of the fastest 10 yard splits at the combine? Do that equate to explosiveness off the line of scrimmage? 

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. Because he isn't much of a blocker.

For a guy who couldn’t block they sure lined him up a lot in the traditional Y position last year which really surprised me. I expected him to play a lot more F than he did in actuality. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

For a guy who couldn’t block they sure lined him up a lot in the traditional Y position last year which really surprised me. I expected him to play a lot more F than he did in actuality. 

And in fairness he didn't totally suck at it. Although think the usage was influenced by Knox missing time. It is a decision for them this year though. Because I think Josh looks better with us in pure 11. I would expect other than in the redzone where Knox is very good they dial the 12 back somewhat this year.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And in fairness he didn't totally suck at it. Although think the usage was influenced by Knox missing time. It is a decision for them this year though. Because I think Josh looks better with us in pure 11. I would expect other than in the redzone where Knox is very good they dial the 12 back somewhat this year.

I agree and I 100% think we are going to take a blocking TE somewhere in the mid rounds so we can keep Kincaid flexed if Knox gets injured or cut after this season 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why can't Kincaid play the TE position? Because they have to make room for an overpaid Dalton Knox? Wouldn't Kincaid be more potent there allowing Coleman to play the big slot? Didn't Coleman run one of the fastest 10 yard splits at the combine? Do that equate to explosiveness off the line of scrimmage? 

Others answered. It's fine if you like Coleman. He's not my choice. I don't care what Knox is paid. He's a decent TE when healthy.

21 hours ago, mannc said:

Have we decided if it’s better or worse to have a first round pick (along with the 5th year option) vs an early second? 

I like the 5th year OPTION. The key word here is option

Is there a reason why we wouldn’t want MHJ? The guy will be as good as dad with JA17 throwing to him. It seems like most of you want a bunch of picks that aren’t likely to turn into anything when you could have this guy 

• Disagree 1