So You Need to Move Diggs..Why the Texans??

2 hours ago, boater said:

You answered your own question.

Due to Diggs malcontent behavior, it was a market where the buyers had control. Maybe the Texans were the only takers.

His behavior was the least of it. He's a 31 (going to be 32) year old WR with a big contract on the downslide of his career. Compared to what other teams got in trade for their WRs, we did well. If an NFC team was offering a 4th, like what the Chargers got for Allen, then I'll take the 2nd in-Conference.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Don't think there was much of a market for Diggs tbh.  Beane's only real leverage was basically "ok, we'll just keep him then".  Once the Texans came up with a 2nd Rounder, yes next year, but also attached to the Vikings, it makes sense.  That's potentially a Top 40 pick next year. 

And while the Texans should win that division.. I am interested to see Stroud in Year 2 against this schedule:

Jaguars x2

Colts x2

Titans x2

Home

Ravens

Bills

Dolphins

Bears

Lions

Away

Cowboys

Packers

Vikings

Chiefs

Jets

Patriots

Everybody ready for the insufferable takes here if the Bills lose on the road at houston?

4 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I agree with you, what’s your point?

Can you help me out here?  You're surprised we got anything for Diggs but then say that you're not convinced a 2nd was the best offer?

On 4/3/2024 at 11:55 AM, TheWeatherMan said:

We didn’t have a #1 last year either and our #3 was a #4 at best.  I’m honestly surprised we got anything for Diggs looking at his last 10 games. 

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This was Diggs preferred destination and Beane did right by him, I’m not convinced this was the best offer on the table.  

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

If Diggs couldn’t help get Minnie or us over the hump, why would it be any different for the Texans?

Although, Huds, he could Eichel Houston to a championship.

and thank you, my friend, for your kind words earlier.

• Like (+1) 1

To me it's not all about "why the Texans" as it is why don't we value WRs like other teams do?  Texans have 2 great WRs and go out and get a third for example. Buffalo need a good WR 1 or 2 (depending how you felt about Diggs) and they trade him. Then there's losing Gabe Davis (again, how do you feel about him?) but it all comes down to Buffalo ever only having 1 true guy defenses had to worry about in Diggs. At this moment we have none. Ok, sorry we have Curtis Samuel. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can you help me out here?  You're surprised we got anything for Diggs but then say that you're not convinced a 2nd was the best offer?

He's just a malcontent raging against anything he can.

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

To me it's not all about "why the Texans" as it is why don't we value WRs like other teams do?  Texans have 2 great WRs and go out and get a third for example. Buffalo need a good WR 1 or 2 (depending how you felt about Diggs) and they trade him. Then there's losing Gabe Davis (again, how do you feel about him?) but it all comes down to Buffalo ever only having 1 true guy defenses had to worry about in Diggs. At this moment we have none. Ok, sorry we have Curtis Samuel. 

Stroud is on rookie deal they can afford to take chances like this. Digg's performance no longer met the headache the team was willing to put up with so they moved him.

2 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I am not going to poo-poo you at all, GB.  I badly wanted at least one season of a 1(A) and 1(B).

Right now we are: 1(HOPEFULLY in the draft), 2(somebody?), a solid and productive TE, and a 3 (whichever of Samuel or Shakir isn't possibly the 2).

It is OK, though, the Sabres didn't value offense when Hasek was here.  They didn't get him any help and it didn't really hurt them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

Stroud is on rookie deal they can afford to take chances like this. Digg's performance no longer met the headache the team was willing to put up with so they moved him.

I get that and you're right. Josh was on a rookie contract at one point and Buffalo never gave him this much help as stroud is getting or Burrow or Hurts at one point, Tua and so on. 

3 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Forgive me in advance if this subject came up somewhere in the 116 pages of the Diggs is traded thread, but...

Let's assume the Diggs trade had to happen now...why the Texans?...Yes his production is way down, but even at 31 he's still got a lot left in the tank...and you may have handed the team that, at least on paper, seems to now be the most talent laden in the AFC. 

People certainly would be up in arms if we dealt him to the Chiefs or Bengals, but the Texans may be a tougher "out" this season.

My biggest complaint in this whole matter is that Beane couldn't find a trade partner in the NFC, or a team in the AFC searching for a QB and not a threat.

Maybe other GMs around the league are wary now that Diggs has whined his way off of two teams, and weren't willing to give up a second round pick.

Diggs would have vetoed going to any team that isn’t a contender. Why did we trade him? Because he’s 31 and he didn’t want to be here.

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am not going to poo-poo you at all, GB.  I badly wanted at least one season of a 1(A) and 1(B).

Right now we are: 1(HOPEFULLY in the draft), 2(somebody?), a solid and productive TE, and a 3 (whichever of Samuel or Shakir isn't possibly the 2).

It is OK, though, the Sabres didn't value offense when Hasek was here.  They didn't get him any help and it didn't really hurt them.

I appreciate it!  I like that you said hopefully. And I am hopeful with Shakir but until most recently buffalo hasn't fully trusted Shakir imo. Unlike the dude tho and have hope for him to be a great slot guy. Kincaid will have to dominate this year. So you're right. Hopeful about the draft!  It'll be exciting. 

3 hours ago, Success said:

The Texans are being overrated.

I said it yesterday - people should check their schedule last season.  They didn't beat many good teams.  They'll have a 1st place schedule this year, and won't catch teams by surprise like they did in '23.

Not that they won't be in contention, but they haven't proven much to me yet.

Just tell us you didn't watch Stroud play. He already looks like a guy that's been playing for 5 years. It may not be this year, but I'll be floored if he's not a consensus top 3, if not top 2 QB within the next couple of years.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Forgive me in advance if this subject came up somewhere in the 116 pages of the Diggs is traded thread, but...

Let's assume the Diggs trade had to happen now...why the Texans?...Yes his production is way down, but even at 31 he's still got a lot left in the tank...and you may have handed the team that, at least on paper, seems to now be the most talent laden in the AFC. 

People certainly would be up in arms if we dealt him to the Chiefs or Bengals, but the Texans may be a tougher "out" this season.

My biggest complaint in this whole matter is that Beane couldn't find a trade partner in the NFC, or a team in the AFC searching for a QB and not a threat.

Maybe other GMs around the league are wary now that Diggs has whined his way off of two teams, and weren't willing to give up a second round pick.

I think you can assume that Houston offered the best deal.  I don't know if Diggs had a trade approval clause in his contract - they're pretty rare - but if he did, that would factor in too.

If you haven't, go on Youtube and listen to Greg Cosell on OBD.  He is not a Bills employee, he's an analyst and senior producer at NFL Films, and widely respected around the league for his film breakdowns.

TL;DL: with no reason to be civil towards a Bills player on a Bills show, Cosell amplified on things he's previously implied during the season.  He made it pretty clear he thinks the Bills traded Diggs to Houston because no other team was interested or offered in the same range.

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Easy explanation:

am surprised we received a 2nd rounder for Diggs, even though value wise it’s more like a 4th or 5th. 2025 2nd = 2024 3rd and the Bills sent a 5th and 6th rounder. He had an awful 10 game stretch to close out the season and carries a pretty hefty cap charge to the new team.

I’m skeptical that it was the best offer on the table because he went to the team he was reportedly the most interested in, i.e. Beane did right by Diggs.  

• Eyeroll 1

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly can see them being the 2021 Cleveland Browns.

Help me out here…what could logically draw you to this conclusion? They are better coached, have a better QB and have better skill players.  Plus they are coming off a better season last year than the Browns have had in 15+ years.  

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Easy explanation:

am surprised we received a 2nd rounder for Diggs, even though value wise it’s more like a 4th or 5th. 2025 2nd = 2024 3rd and the Bills sent a 5th and 6th rounder. He had an awful 10 game stretch to close out the season and carries a pretty hefty cap charge to the new team.

I’m skeptical that it was the best offer on the table because he went to the team he was reportedly the most interested in, i.e. Beane did right by Diggs.  

This explanation doesn't make any sense.

You have established that he was awful in his last 10 game stretch and surprised he got anything for him.  But when we get a 2nd, it wasn't the best offer?

You're basically saying that he wasn't worth a draft pick of any value but at the same time the value we got wasn't enough.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

This explanation doesn't make any sense.

You have established that he was awful in his last 10 game stretch and surprised he got anything for him.  But when we get a 2nd, it wasn't the best offer?

You're basically saying that he wasn't worth a draft pick of any value but at the same time the value we got wasn't enough.

I’m sorry this doesn’t make sense to you, but then again, I didn’t intend it too.  I never once said we didn’t get enough for Diggs.  

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Help me out here…what could logically draw you to this conclusion? They are better coached, have a better QB and have better skill players.  Plus they are coming off a better season last year than the Browns have had in 15+ years.  

Well, Baker Mayfield in 2020 broke the rookie TD record.  The Browns were a controversial play away from beating KC at KC in the divisional round.

Kevin Stefanski is a 2 time Coach of the Year.

The Browns were 8th in Super Bowl odds coming into 2021.

The Browns with the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals were a much tougher division than the AFC South that the Texans are in.

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I’m sorry this doesn’t make sense to you, but then again, I didn’t intend it too.  I never once said we didn’t get enough for Diggs.  

You are implying that what we got wasn't the best offer....hence meaning we didn't get enough because we left a better offer on the table.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well, Baker Mayfield in 2020 broke the rookie TD record.  The Browns were a controversial play away from beating KC at KC in the divisional round.

Kevin Stefanski is a 2 time Coach of the Year.

The Browns were 8th in Super Bowl odds coming into 2021.

The Browns with the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals were a much tougher division than the AFC South that the Texans are in.

You mean the game where Mahomes got concussed, sat out half the game, and they still beat the Browns?  You’re right, the AFC South is a weaker division, so why would the Texans take a step back like the 21 Browns?  This argument you’re making is strange..  

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

who cares?

Texans put up numbers on The Cleveland Flaccos, then got roasted by the about to be fully exposed Baltimore MVP's.

every time any player moved from one team to an winning AFC rival, posters loose their stool.

worry about not falling apart to the Chiefs in the playoffs...

Great post!

Why does the Bills Mafia and TBD get so emotionally attached to players after a mediocre season, in their 30's!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You are implying that what we got wasn't the best offer....hence meaning we didn't get enough because we left a better offer on the table.  

Correct, I think It might not have been the best offer, but it was a very generous one, more than enough compensation.  Players don’t always go to the highest bidder.  

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not much of a market for Diggs according to Greg Cosell.

Yeah, it's an interesting contradiction.  According to Cosell, he's not any longer a #1 WR, he's more of a "possession receiver", and he is NOT going to Houston to be their #1 WR.

According to "Speak", Pat Macafee etc, he's going to Houston to be #1 on their depth chart, they don't really think Nico Collins is a true #1 WR despite his 73.4% catch %, his 1297 yds, his 16.2 Y/R, his 86.5 YPG - all numbers better than Diggs with more targets in more games, put up.

And, usually when you're paying a guy $22.5M fully guaranteed for a 1 year rental, you expect to be using him A Lot.  

On the other hand, last season, Nico Collins gave them A Lot and he certainly doesn't deserve to lose any target share or attention.

If I'm Houston, I make sure a leetle birdie gives Diggs a transcript of Cosell's interview and another leetle birdie transcribes portions of McAfee and McCoy for Collins.

21 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

7 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Correct, I think It might not have been the best offer, but it was a very generous one, more than enough compensation.  Players don’t always go to the highest bidder.  

I mean you can think whatever you like - I can too, and I personally think we didn't get enough for Diggs (given that like everyone else, I don't know what it's like between him and Allen or inside the walls of OBD) - but what evidence do you have to support the idea that

1) we left a better offer on the table ?

2) Diggs didn't go to the highest bidder ?

Edited by Beck Water

6 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You mean the game where Mahomes got concussed, sat out half the game, and they still beat the Browns?  You’re right, the AFC South is a weaker division, so why would the Texans take a step back like the 21 Browns?  This argument you’re making is strange..  

Did you forgot about this?  This puts the game at 16-10 at halftime as opposed to 16-3.  

Meanwhile the Texans lose to the Ravens 34-10.

So the Browns went 11-5 in a good division with 3 teams making the playoffs.

The Texans go 10-7 with a very weak division with no other playoff teams.

10 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

With the other WR's and the return they got, its safer to say we got the best offer than we didn't get the best.

Plenty of examples give evidence to that.

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I get that and you're right. Josh was on a rookie contract at one point and Buffalo never gave him this much help as stroud is getting or Burrow or Hurts at one point, Tua and so on. 

I thought trading away a 1st for Diggs was tremendous help for Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

With the other WR's and the return they got, its safer to say we got the best offer than we didn't get the best.

Plenty of examples give evidence to that.

What historical examples provide evidence that the Bills traded Diggs to the highest bidder and not to the team that was close to being the highest bidder and was where Diggs wanted to go?  

Standing by…

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

What historical examples provide evidence that the Bills traded Diggs to the highest bidder and not to the team that was close to being the highest bidder and was where Diggs wanted to go?  

Standing by…

What evidence can you provide that we only turned better offers?  Standing by.

Amari Cooper and Keenan Allen are two examples that are in this thread.  Another one would be Randy Moss for a 4th.

Diggs went higher than all of them.  

Again, you said you're surprised we got anything at all but then say you think we had a better offer than Houston's 2nd is a gigantic reach.

How are you surprised we got anything but then say there was a better offer on the table we passed up?  LOL, that doesn't make sense at all.

5 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

The simple answer is the Texans gave them the most compensation. 

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

You have to make it to the Chiefs in the playoffs to even get to that point. 

There are more teams than just the Chiefs to worry about, something we should all understand from the 2022 Divisional Round game.

Would you be cool with Diggs going to the Bengals? No. And the Texans made it to the Division Round in just 1 year with Stroud, have a younger team, more talent, better cap situation, already had a number 1 WR, and now added Diggs. 

So instead of acting like we already made it & our spot is assured next to the Chiefs, we have to contend with reality & recognize there are other teams improving faster & more dramatically than the Bills.

my opinion on Figgs is we’ll know . Honestly, who cares where he goes.  He was in the tank for most of the season—-despite a top 2 QB slinging the ball and a weak WR room.  E we hats he going to go for the Bengals, of all teams??

If Dell is healthy, Diggs is #3 in Houston.  How do you think he will handle that?  How long before he starts yelling at young Stroud?  Week 6, 7?

if the Bills can’t assemble a top 5 passing game with a top rookie WR this season then Beane, McD and Brady all have to go. 

Houston way overpaid for him to be honest, especially with the news that just came out that Diggs will become a free agent after this season and won't even qualify for a comp pick. They got a one year rental of an aging WR for the value of approximately a late 3rd. Better WRs have been traded for less in recent years. A lot of Texans fans are actually unhappy with the trade.

• Like (+1) 1