Do you think Allen feels relief after the Diggs trade?

16 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I bet Allen feels like a guy who just took a dump the size of a lunchbox that pinched off clean in a one wipe situation, precautionary at that.

I equate the Diggs situation as, 7 wipes deep and there's still **** on the paper........ugh.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:11 AM, eball said:

I think Josh Allen is as happy as a f*****g clam right now and excited to see what the Bills can accomplish without the Diggs drama.

He will be even happier if Beane can land a #1 WR in this draft. Right now, the passing game will revolve around Kincaid which isn't a bad thing. Still need a #1 WR to go along with that.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I equate the Diggs situation as, 7 wipes deep and there's still **** on the paper........ugh.

Then along came Beane the bidet.  Problem solved!

I could see him somewhat relieved to not have to cater so much to figuring out Diggs.  But still a little nervous about the current state of the WR room. 

Obviously he should have some trust that the current pathetic state will change but how much?  Going with rookies, while ensuring Josh as lead dog, is not the best, on paper solution.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:12 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Sure, but Diggs is no different than plenty of other high profile WRs. He's actually more the "typical" WR.

So if Josh can't handle Diggs chirping, that's a Josh problem. Because if/when the Bills replace Diggs with other competitive, high profile WRs it's only a matter of time until they start the same behavior.

If we somehow landed MHJ, we're right back where we started.

Diggs believes he made Allen who he is now.  Now Diggs best years were with Allen but he wont admit that.  Same with Beasley.  Different dynamic.  Whether it be one of the top 3 wrs or mid rounder they all will see Allen as the guy.  Diggs and Beasley seem/seemed almost jealous of his found notoriety and fame.  

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

I get you’re a big Diggs fan but you have to acknowledge his fall off that coincided with the new OC and the Bills resurgence. This transformed version of Diggs demanded targets at the expense of the team’s fortunes. When the game plan featured more run game and spreading the ball around to Shakir, Kincaid and Cook, the Bills won 6 of 7 and the division. He looked like a tentative shell of his former self in that KC game and dropped the potential game winner on a perfect throw. Then proceeded to be a me first distraction, putting himself before the team that was paying him a fortune. It’s small wonder the Texans converted his deal to one year and we’ll see what happens. His lack of appreciation for this fanbase that embraced him is not the look you’d expect from a classy HOF type player.

I explicitly called this out, so yea. I don't even agree that he fell off at all, he simply wasn't a big part of Brady's scheme for whatever reason. Players don't go from elite to washed mid-season without injury. People are blaming Diggs for a gameplan outside of his control. Of course, there's no excusing his drop in the KC game. That said, If Allen targets him instead of Shakir at the end of the game, we win.

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I explicitly called this out, so yea. I don't even agree that he fell off at all, he simply wasn't a big part of Brady's scheme for whatever reason. Players don't go from elite to washed mid-season without injury. People are blaming Diggs for a gameplan outside of his control. Of course, there's no excusing his drop in the KC game. That said, If Allen targets him instead of Shakir at the end of the game, we win.

That's a huge assumption there.  Josh just needed to target Diggs?  Like Diggs wouldn't have to catch the ball? 

Remember the easy screen to Diggs in the Denver game, meant to chew up time at the 12, with 2:12 remaining in the game?  Diggs dropped that. Huge drop from a game management perspective.  Diggs was not the same clutch guy the second half of last season, not at all.

44 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I explicitly called this out, so yea. I don't even agree that he fell off at all, he simply wasn't a big part of Brady's scheme for whatever reason. 

Oh, Decisions Decisions. 

Who to believe, professional tape watchers like Greg Cosell who say unambiguously that Diggs is no longer a #1 WR at this point in his career, because he has lost the abilities to separate more than 10 yds past the line of scrimmage?

Or someone whose chosen screen name leads off with "Bull"?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Oh, Decisions Decisions. 

Who to believe, professional tape watchers like Greg Cosell who say unambiguously that Diggs is no longer a #1 WR at this point in his career, because he has lost the abilities to separate more than 10 yds past the line of scrimmage?

Or someone whose chosen screen name leads off with "Bull"?

based on credibility alone? Probably me since I don't have a financial interest in making headlines to stay relevant.

40 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

That's a huge assumption there.  Josh just needed to target Diggs?  Like Diggs wouldn't have to catch the ball? 

Remember the easy screen to Diggs in the Denver game, meant to chew up time at the 12, with 2:12 remaining in the game?  Diggs dropped that. Huge drop from a game management perspective.  Diggs was not the same clutch guy the second half of last season, not at all.

Given that Diggs was wide open by about 10 yards and he has the highest career catch percentage of any buffalo bill with more than 500 receptions, yea, I think a target put anywhere near his vicinity would have been as close to a guaranteed win as a team gets in this league.

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

based on credibility alone? Probably me since I don't have a financial interest in making headlines to stay relevant.

You're shooting your shot wide right here. 

Greg Cosell is not a click-bait headline generator, and he stays relevant because of the widespread respect he's built across the league as a film analyst for literally 40 years.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Not to mention he fumbled a catch and let a ball go through his hands earlier in that very game

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Diggs believes he made Allen who he is now.  Now Diggs best years were with Allen but he wont admit that.  Same with Beasley.  Different dynamic.  Whether it be one of the top 3 wrs or mid rounder they all will see Allen as the guy.  Diggs and Beasley seem/seemed almost jealous of his found notoriety and fame.  

The Beasley comment was because people were fans were saying that the Bills were all Allen and there he had no talent around him.  It was reasonable that he would be somewhat offended by that.  I didn't follow the Diggs response but other posters have pointed out some of it was because Bills fans were saying absolutely abhorrent things about him after he expressed condolences following Vontae Davis's death.

23 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

The Beasley comment was because people were fans were saying that the Bills were all Allen and there he had no talent around him.  It was reasonable that he would be somewhat offended by that.  I didn't follow the Diggs response but other posters have pointed out some of it was because Bills fans were saying absolutely abhorrent things about him after he expressed condolences following Vontae Davis's death.

Correct on Beasley; his comment was in response to a meme suggesting that Allen, like Iowa's Caitlin Clark, was being expected to win it without talent around him.  Beasley's point was that from 2019 on, Allen had talent at WR.  

He's not wrong, albeit whether it's been "enough" talent either in 2019 with himself and Brown but not Diggs or a Diggs equivalent, or in 2022 as he and Sanders were gone and Davis/McKenzie were expected to step up (and did so inadequately), is a fair ask

Edited by Beck Water

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not to mention he fumbled a catch and let a ball go through his hands earlier in that very game

Do you mean when he was in heavy contact? Yes, he should have caught the ball, but it's not like he was wide open.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Given that Diggs was wide open by about 10 yards and he has the highest career catch percentage of any buffalo bill with more than 500 receptions, yea, I think a target put anywhere near his vicinity would have been as close to a guaranteed win as a team gets in this league.

Guaranteed win?  Even if he caught the ball (and I agreed with you at the time that Josh should have thrown it to him), there was no guarantee of winning.   

The Bills were down three and twenty yards out.  They would/should have run clock so scoring a TD was certainly not a given.  And if Bass shanked the FG try the Bills would have lost anyway.

This is starting to become revisionist fact, kind of like 13 seconds cost us the superbowl.

• Disagree 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:40 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don't think that the Bills do this without Allen give it a thumbs up.  

I totally disagree and hope that's not the way it was.

That's not professional.

Fans often think much more highly of players than their own management does.

Not saying there is some sort of dislike for Josh in the building; far from it. 

I'm just saying if Josh's feelings are hurt (or not) should not be the basis of hugely important football decisions facing the team.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I totally disagree and hope that's not the way it was.

That's not professional.

Fans often think much more highly of players than their own management does.

Not saying there is some sort of dislike for Josh in the building; far from it. 

I'm just saying if Josh's feelings are hurt (or not) should not be the basis of hugely important football decisions facing the team.

The franchise QB, who is your most important and highest paid player is going to be consulted before trading his #1 target.  Especially if you're eating $31 million.

Brandon Beane talked to Dawson Knox and let him know Kincaid was someone that they are targeting.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

The reason they changed OCs was because they stunk and couldn’t score in the first half of several games and Dorsey was afraid to go away from Diggs who demanded the ball. even though tried to take him away with extra coverage. They were falling out of the playoff picture.They made the offense multidimensional and Diggs never got near 100 yds receiving in the last 9 games. He had more drops in big games than in 3 seasons combined. What is this unfounded defense of this me first, Buffalo hating diva about?. Do you remember him getting in Josh’s face when the whole team collapsed against the Bengals and we had to justify that crap by explaining how ultra competitive he is.Watch him cancerize the Texans now. That’s why they paid him more next season to eliminate the final years of his deal. He’s in the rear view now, no more defending this waste of time.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

The reason they changed OCs was because they stunk and couldn’t score in the first half of several games and Dorsey was afraid to go away from Diggs who demanded the ball. even though tried to take him away with extra coverage. They were falling out of the playoff picture.They made the offense multidimensional and Diggs never got near 100 yds receiving in the last 9 games. He had more drops in big games than in 3 seasons combined. What is this unfounded defense of this me first, Buffalo hating diva about?. Do you remember him getting in Josh’s face when the whole team collapsed against the Bengals and we had to justify that crap by explaining how ultra competitive he is.Watch him cancerize the Texans now. That’s why they paid him more next season to eliminate the final years of his deal. He’s in the rear view now, no more defending this waste of time.

I LOVE that diggs got in Josh's face. Someone had to. He was the only guy on this team that wanted to win and seemed to actually put the work in. Josh is far more concerned with chasing Hollywood tail and golfing.

I love how hard Josh plays, but he just doesn't put the mental work in and it's the reason he doesn't have a ring yet, and perhaps never will.

They've never had less accountability or more excuses to fall short than they will in 2024, and that's what I fully expect to happen. "A lot of new faces" "It took us a while to gel" "We ran out of steam" "emotionally exhausted" etc. Is a loser culture in that locker room full of soft personalities and a weak coach. Diggs didn't fit that and that's not a him problem, it's a Bills problem. Looking forward to Dawkins showing up out of shape as per usual too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I LOVE that diggs got in Josh's face. Someone had to. He was the only guy on this team that wanted to win and seemed to actually put the work in. Josh is far more concerned with chasing Hollywood tail and golfing.

I love how hard Josh plays, but he just doesn't put the mental work in and it's the reason he doesn't have a ring yet, and perhaps never will.

These two points are so wrong for so many reasons. 

1)  The idea that Diggs was the only guy on the team that wanted to win is ridiculous on its face.  Sure, Diggs worked hard to project the image of the only one who cared but IMO he was posturing most of that time. I think back to his standing there in Arrowhead Stadium watching the Chiefs celebrate their conference championship win. Talk about a posed Kodak picture moment.

And the idea that Allen doesn't care about winning is based on what exactly?  Your perception that in the first couple of months after the season ends the guy actually lives his life?  I don't know where this came from but its a meritless smear IMO.

2)  And to say that the reason Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl yet is because he doesn't "put the mental work in" is flat out crazy talk.  So you think if Allen had spent the off season studying how not to let your Special Teams and Defense blow a 3 point lead with only 13 seconds left would have helped?  Because I'm wondering what more then leading the Bills on TWO late 4th quarter TD drives could a more mentally prepared Allen have done in that game.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

They've never had less accountability or more excuses to fall short than they will in 2024, and that's what I fully expect to happen. "A lot of new faces" "It took us a while to gel" "We ran out of steam" "emotionally exhausted" etc. Is a loser culture in that locker room full of soft personalities and a weak coach. Diggs didn't fit that and that's not a him problem, it's a Bills problem. Looking forward to Dawkins showing up out of shape as per usual too.

Just a Bills hater living in Bills country. You love that Diggs got in Josh’s face after that Bengals game? Josh never criticized Diggs for being a ***** on social media and  a public malcontent team destroyer.Josh never points fingers and takes responsibility for losses. His teammates love him and play hard for him. Don’t be silly enough to question Josh’s motivation or work ethic .This team was a national joke for 30 years before Beane, Sean and Josh. Don’t delude yourself into believing  that Josh won’t make any receiving group better. He made Diggs a star until his skills diminished and became a hopeless malcontent. Any other team not called the Chiefs, wins their division four years straight and are playoff locks every year. Don’t worry, they’ll break through soon enough because 

Josh is only getting better. Don’t worry about what he does in his personal life. When the bell rings, other than Mahomes, any knowledgeable football fan would take over any other QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

21 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not sure I've seen more hyperbole in NFL fandom history than calling a perennial top 5-10 WR washed after a 1200 yard 8 TD season - all because he didn't light up the stat sheet directly corresponding to a change in coordinator. His "washed up" season was the 12th best receiving total in Buffalo bills history by raw yardage, 18th best in YPG, and 11th (T) in TDs.

I fully expect him to have an equal or better season next year, outperforming any receiving we draft.

regardless of said hyperbole ,

Bills are not drafting in the top ten

If they get a WR who can get 800 1st season and has a ceiling beyond ? Sweet

Brady is going to spread it around and run the ball. So maybe no need for 1200 yard season from a Diggs type and still a playoff loss ?

conjecture your Honor

Not fact based

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Just a Bills hater living in Bills country. You love that Diggs got in Josh’s face after that Bengals game? Josh never criticized Diggs for being a ***** on social media and  a public malcontent team destroyer.Josh never points fingers and takes responsibility for losses. His teammates love him and play hard for him. Don’t be silly enough to question Josh’s motivation or work ethic .This team was a national joke for 30 years before Beane, Sean and Josh. Don’t delude yourself into believing  that Josh won’t make any receiving group better. He made Diggs a star until his skills diminished and became a hopeless malcontent. Any other team not called the Chiefs, wins their division four years straight and are playoff locks every year. Don’t worry, they’ll break through soon enough because 

Josh is only getting better. Don’t worry about what he does in his personal life. When the bell rings, other than Mahomes, any knowledgeable football fan would take over any other QB.

contrarian for the Dorsey period. Or devils advocate

Josh looked checked out. Most all noted it

sat by himself

never rallied the troops etc

he was having a bummer

we saw it 

did some forget ?

Thanks gosh for Brady getting to Josh

Next year should be muchas differentios better (lol made that word up

Why are you so miserable? 

Genuinely worried about you, man. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

These two points are so wrong for so many reasons. 

1)  The idea that Diggs was the only guy on the team that wanted to win is ridiculous on its face.  Sure, Diggs worked hard to project the image of the only one who cared but IMO he was posturing most of that time. I think back to his standing there in Arrowhead Stadium watching the Chiefs celebrate their conference championship win. Talk about a posed Kodak picture moment.

And the idea that Allen doesn't care about winning is based on what exactly?  Your perception that in the first couple of months after the season ends the guy actually lives his life?  I don't know where this came from but its a meritless smear IMO.

2)  And to say that the reason Allen hasn't won a Super Bowl yet is because he doesn't "put the mental work in" is flat out crazy talk.  So you think if Allen had spent the off season studying how not to let your Special Teams and Defense blow a 3 point lead with only 13 seconds left would have helped?  Because I'm wondering what more then leading the Bills on TWO late 4th quarter TD drives could a more mentally prepared Allen have done in that game.

That's crediting Diggs with supervillian level scheming.   I highly doubted he was thinking "hey, we just lost the game in a heart-breaking manner,  if I stay on the field and watch the Chiefs celebrate, I'll look good and my teammates will look bad".

Just because, he was a pain in the ass at the end doesn't mean one needs to discredit everything about the guy his contributions to the Bills.

Answer to the OP. Hugely relieved on the inside, and excited for the new challenge on the outside. He’s thrilled. He knows Diggs wa’n’t all that and he can lead this team to greatness with his guys now. 

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I wouldn't call Josh a chicken to his face. He may just come back with "I am the egg, man" 

No you didn’t. And now I have to

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

contrarian for the Dorsey period. Or devils advocate

Josh looked checked out. Most all noted it

sat by himself

never rallied the troops etc

he was having a bummer

we saw it 

did some forget ?

Thanks gosh for Brady getting to Josh

Next year should be muchas differentios better (lol made that word up

Rallied the troops? The troops were flat as pancakes from the start. They were pushed around by a team that came to play.  Josh was crushed by the idea of losing at the end of the game. He is the heart and soul of the team. Diggs is a me first jerk who loves to blame others. His talent has diminished and now the Bills and the fanbase is the problem. Don’t let the door hit you in the Fanny.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

to reconcile this a bit- 

the star that most disappeared in the playoffs was right to hold his teammates accountable in the playoffs because it was a them problem and not a him problem. 

also, despite him doing it in an ineffective way, you loved seeing it. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Rallied the troops? The troops were flat as pancakes from the start. They were pushed around by a team that came to play.  Josh was crushed by the idea of losing at the end of the game. He is the heart and soul of the team. Diggs is a me first jerk who loves to blame others. His talent has diminished and now the Bills and the fanbase is the problem. Don’t let the door hit you in the Fanny.

Agree.  At the end when Diggs ripped into Allen for all to see he was clearly dispirited at how the game had went.  The idea that it was Allen alone who was flat for the game is simply absurd.  The Bills defense allowed the Bengals to easily drive 75 yards for TD's on their first two possessions. That set the tone for the game - the Bengals came to play and the Bills were in la la land.

18 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

His contract, isn’t there a team option that makes it a 1 year deal? 

Negative.  After trading a next year's 2nd round pick for a WR under contract for 3 or 4 more years at a reasonable (to them) cap since the Bills ate all his amortized bonus.....Houston turned around and VOIDED all the additional years of Diggs contract, adding his guaranteed money for next year into this year.

They then converted most of his salary to signing bonus to pay him up front and amortized it over 4 void years (meaningless, unless they re-sign him)

So Houston now traded a 2nd round pick next year, for a 1 year rental at a total cost of $22.5M fully guaranteed, structured as $5.88M this season and a $16.64M dead cap hit next season.

Basically, Houston went "all in" to make sure Diggs would be as happy as possible this season; Diggs structured his contract to make sure Houston has cap space this season at the cost to them of a huge dead cap hit next season.

Can't make this stuff up

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/stefon-diggs-16872/

Edited by Beck Water

14 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is like a narrative from a fan "romance novel" section.  Tanya Harding is the "toughest girl" skater because her husband kneecaps the opposition.  Baloney, all those sequined little jumping jacks are tough as nails to take fall after fall after fall on ***** ice and get up and try again day after day.  Brady refusing to shake hands with his opponent after he loses and it's justified as he somehow just hates losing so much more than anybody else.  That's a big crock. He just never bothered to force himself into the basic form of good sportsmanship once he got famous enough to get away with it, until Fitz chased him down on the sideline one day.

Plenty of guys on that Bills team wanted desperately to win, every bit as badly as Diggs did.  Diggs just behaved worse than everybody else, during and after the game.   He missed catches he could have made.  He doesn't acknowledge his mistakes or take public accountability for them.  Allen chose to throw to Davis, who had the ball knocked away on a very good play by the defender, and Diggs chose to try to distract Allen by yelling at him, when he's sitting with his QB coach working on decoding the Bengals coverage.  Wow, that sure SHOWS US that he's the ONLY ONE ON THE TEAM WHO WANTS TO WIN! 

Where do you even come up with this stuff?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2