Safety Julian Blackmon visiting Bills

18 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He won't be here 2 more seasons. 

His 2024 salary is now fully guaranteed. 

Bean 2 years ago reached a contract extension with Diggs that kicks in THIS year. 

His new 4 year 96 mil deal starts this upcoming season. 

Trading him is a 31 mil dead cap hit. 

Post June 1st trade kicks 22 mil into 2025.  Does not save money. 

If they want to move on from him, it will be a giant financial disaster. 

He has annoying tweets.  He is not a bad guy and does not really need to be moved. 

He will again put up a 1000 yrd season in 2024. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

hmmm 

As I said in the Edwards thread, last thing floating around about Blackmon was that given his injury history - our offer was based on Incentive "performance based variable pay". Then Edwards was brought in.

I'm guessing he wasn't ready to sign up for that and wanted to continue to play the field. We couldn't wait around though and signed Edwards.

Maybe he comes back around and we get him later. But with Edwards and Rapp in house now, I'm guessing he gets a better opportunity both financially and in a situation where there's less of a competitive aspect.

Though I'd love to have Blackmon, Edwards, and Rapp together.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As I said in the Edwards thread, last thing floating around about Blackmon was that given his injury history - our offer was based on Incentive "performance based variable pay". Then Edwards was brought in.

I'm guessing he wasn't ready to sign up for that and wanted to continue to play the field. We couldn't wait around though and signed Edwards.

Maybe he comes back around and we get him later. But with Edwards and Rapp in house now, I'm guessing he gets a better opportunity both financially and in a situation where there's less of a competitive aspect.

Though I'd love to have Blackmon, Edwards, and Rapp together.

That is a luxury and we can't afford it.

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Rapp. Was the Poyer replacement last year and still signed after Poyer signed.

If he’s still around after the draft and we don’t draft a safety it’s possible. Or maybe even before the draft.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

IKR?  Nearly 11 million over and the 3rd worst cap shape.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2025/

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's just stupid to be over AGAIN before next year gets here.  Diggs and Vons contracts are killing us.

Currently 2025 is -$9.8M and when Von is let go next spring it results in a $8.5M in cap savings.  

Diggs contract may get traded.  The trading team gets him for $19.5M with no guaranteed money (no dead cap).

Whether he's cut or traded he saves another $5.1M pre-June and $18.5M post June.  I see a post-June cut.

Josh will restructure $20M more and take his hit down to $40M.

Beane will be in a much better position next spring and going forward.

Edited by ColoradoBills

30 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Ah, I'm so used to Warriorspikes51 answering Buffalofanforever19, that I hallucinated this response ascribed to the other fella.

Only, of course, it was so out of character, I should have known. I thought the apocalypse might be happening, but false alarm.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

it's an extra 3 million this year before June 1. Not exactly immovable if they wanted to deal him 

It’s dead cap hits this year and next year.  You seem to always forget that in your crusade against Diggs

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

His 2024 salary is now fully guaranteed. 

Bean 2 years ago reached a contract extension with Diggs that kicks in THIS year. 

His new 4 year 96 mil deal starts this upcoming season. 

Trading him is a 31 mil dead cap hit. 

Post June 1st trade kicks 22 mil into 2025.  Does not save money. 

If they want to move on from him, it will be a giant financial disaster. 

He has annoying tweets.  He is not a bad guy and does not really need to be moved. 

He will again put up a 1000 yrd season in 2024. 

This is right. The thing that sucks is they had old bills playoff games on nfl network and Diggs was clearly the best player on the field, maybe even better than Josh a couple years back just plucking off thrown balls like nothing. I wish we had that guy back and then I would not give a rip about what he says because most of the time he has a point. But right now he’s a shell of his old self and it’s time to get some youth to make up for his lack of eliteness now

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

For sure, I’d love to bring in Blackmon but I’d be shocked. 

Agreed. I think Blackmon wanted to play the field some more and we felt we couldn't wait on him. I think it's on to the Draft now for Safety.

Though I do find it more likely that he could come around and accept the incentive laden deal that we offered him than it is the Justin Simmons pie in the sky dream he's still holding on to.

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It’s DT S until the draft so I would say it’s not a luxury at all… 3 vet S’s works even over an early round S in McDermys D 

Edited by QLBillsFan

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Currently 2025 is -$9.8M and when Von is let go next spring it results in a $8.5M in cap savings.  

Diggs contract may get traded.  The trading team gets him for $19.5M with no guaranteed money (no dead cap).

Whether he's cut or traded he saves another $5.1M pre-June and $18.5M post June.  I see a post-June cut.

Josh will restructure $20M more and take his hit down to $40M.

Beane will be in a much better position next spring and going forward.

They need to draft 2 receivers including one in the first round so they can get off of these bad contracts. Diggs is no longer worth #1 money,  this is why I never liked the Johnson extension.  Beanne needs to be careful handing out contracts and I will still be in favour of trading Diggs after June 1 if Beane can move up and grab a top receiver in this draft.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

It would be more like a 3-year $66M contract.

Okay…who’s taking it on though. Look, I just don’t see it. I could be wrong but I don’t think so. I mean people here want him bounced. If he’s so good and worth the dough, why not just keep him 🤷‍♂️ 

41 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

It’s DT S until the draft so I would say it’s not a luxury at all… 3 vet S’s works even over an early round S in McDermys D 

McDermott's D can't stop KC for 13 seconds, can't win an AFC championship ( or even get past the division round for 3 years straight),  has blown leads when Josh Allen has left the field with a lead.

How about we make a change?  Nah, let's just keep doing that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

They need to draft 2 receivers including one in the first round so they can get off of these bad contracts. Diggs is no longer worth #1 money,  this is why I never liked the Johnson extension.  Beanne needs to be careful handing out contracts and I will still be in favour of trading Diggs after June 1 if Beane can move up and grab a top receiver in this draft.

Yep - would love a wr with our first pick (wherever it may end up being); Thomas, worthy, Mitchell then one later / McCaffrey or that 6’6” guy etc

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Blackmon should consider signing here.and making a tandem like Poyer and Hyde did. 

Rapp was signed to start.  You don't give Rapp a 3 year deal then sit him.

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Edwards came and signed … and Blackmon came and went … he must have a Plan B

It's my opinion Blackmon and both DL told Beane they won't agree to just 1 year deals, and I don't blame them.

Does Beane not get the players around the league see him sign players like floyed to 1 year deals then not re-sign them?  Blackmon and the guy from San Fran that signed with Jax don't need 1 year prove it deals.

Don't be shocked if somone signs Blackmon to at least a 3 year deal and they should.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's my opinion Blackmon and both DL told Beane they won't agree to just 1 year deals, and I don't blame them.

Does Beane not get the players around the league see him sign players like floyed to 1 year deals then not re-sign them?  Blackmon and the guy from San Fran that signed with Jax don't need 1 year prove it deals.

Don't be shocked if somone signs Blackmon to at least a 3 year deal and they should.

I’m generally happy with what Beane is paying out so far  … don’t think anyone has been paid “overs” in terms of the new to the team FA signings ...perhaps Rapp got overpaid .. but they obviously like him and are prepared to give him a chance and if it doesn’t work out then they can move on after 1 year …

They aren’t going to get every guy they go after when they are tight with the money

• Agree 1

This year we are going to need to rely on the Offense more.  If we retool with some fresh speed demon WR's in the draft and get lucky on them picking up the level of intensity of the NFL we might be able to make waves this year.  Safety is going to be a draft pick that could go 2 or 4th round. 

I do believe Digg's is done as a Bill.  He believes the window of opportunity is gone for this team  He really is going to be a thorn in our side this year.  I just don't see him having a pro-bowl type of year.  So I really see them drafting his replacement in the first round then possibly a safety.

2 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

This year we are going to need to rely on the Offense more.  If we retool with some fresh speed demon WR's in the draft and get lucky on them picking up the level of intensity of the NFL we might be able to make waves this year.  Safety is going to be a draft pick that could go 2 or 4th round. 

I do believe Digg's is done as a Bill.  He believes the window of opportunity is gone for this team  He really is going to be a thorn in our side this year.  I just don't see him having a pro-bowl type of year.  So I really see them drafting his replacement in the first round then possibly a safety.

I'm torn. I'm at the point I may want them to trade back and pick up a 3rd rounder. Then use a 4th to move up a little in the 2nd.

Use the picks for WR, then a DT to take over Daquon Jones spot in a year or 2.  Not sure on the 3rd round pick, but use our other 4th on a Safety to take over the starting spot opposite Rapp in 2025.

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Edwards came and signed … and Blackmon came and went … he must have a Plan B

I don't know why we wouldn't take 2 yrs on him. 

21 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Rapp was signed to start.  You don't give Rapp a 3 year deal then sit him.

I don't want Rapp starting.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott's D can't stop KC for 13 seconds, can't win an AFC championship ( or even get past the division round for 3 years straight),  has blown leads when Josh Allen has left the field with a lead.

How about we make a change?  Nah, let's just keep doing that.

Hmm ok the topic wasn’t should McDermy be the coach. It was is it a luxury to sign another S in FA at a reasonable deal? So that’s what I was responding to. I was in favor of firing him after 13 seconds as well. But since he’s the coach I’d think another S makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 2