Justin Fields traded to Steelers

9 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

No he isn’t.  He looks lost and confused every series he is on the field.  He so is not a Pittsburgh guy.  If he was good the Bears would not have traded him for a 6th round pick.  Not that the Bears have a clue.  They signed Tremaine Edmonds for $72 mill. 😂😂

Pickett hasn’t been great.  But the offense the Steelers were running w him was god awful.  Tomlin is overrated.  Maybe it’s the big silver cross he wears.  

They had a ton of cap space, Edmunds actually played pretty well the last half of the season AND this gives the bears the opportunity to reset the quarterback position with a rookie contract for the top prospect. Only question is can they FINALLY develop a QB. Jay cutler being one of the franchises top signal callers speaks volumes 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

If a team doesn't find itself a franchise QB -- somebody on the level of Flacco or Cousins in their prime or a Tua or Purdy -- they have virtually no shot at anything beyond maybe backing into a wildcard berth and being 1 and done.   Statistically, about half of the QBs taken in the first round of any draft fail to become franchise QBs despite being given every opportunity (sometimes multiple ones) to do so.  For QBs taken on Day 2 or 3 of the draft, the chances are miniscule.   Finding a franchise QB is finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, which is why teams like the Browns and Broncos mortgaged their futures to grab "proven" ones.

The Stillers have grabbed a "proven" QB as well as a young QB who has shown some flashes for practically nothing in terms of what other teams have spent to acquire one of either type.   It may not work out but if it doesn't, they aren't shackled by their gambles. 

I always liked Russell Wilson, so I hope that you are right.    I would like to see Russ take the Stillers (my second favorite team) to the AFC Conference Championship game only to lose to the Bills in January.

True.

Chicago's 1st round QB disasters seem to find their way to Pittsburgh for a brief time...or two.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Is it? If Justin Fields was any good the Chicago Bears a major market wouldn’t have gotten rid of him. I don’t see Justin Fields being a star. Is Field better than Kenny Pickett probably but there is a lot of who cares none of these guys are going to be the next Ben Roelisburger. The Pittsburgh Steelers are chasing a new franchise quarterback like the Buffalo Bills did when Jim Kelly retired. I don’t see anything the Steelers did that is better than what they had in Ben Roelisburger. It’s going to eventually cost Mike Tomlin his coaching job like it did with Bill Belichick when Tom Brady left the New England Patriots. You can’t win without an elite NFL franchise quarterback and unfortunately there is a short supply of franchise quarterbacks to go around. I think all these Steelers moves are a whole lot of nothing at the end of the day. The Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots are going to have some losing like other teams in the NFL with no franchise quarterback. It’s about time let the Patriots and Steelers fans have to go 13 years without playoffs. The Patriots and Steelers haven’t been scary bad in a long time and it’s time they start losing like everyone else in the NFL in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

im not as dismissive on fields as others. Chicago has had numerous offense problems over the years.  Hoe much do you blame the team?  Similar with Pickett snd Steelers. How much of his development can be blamed on the system/staff?

I mean, honestly, if all it took was a 6th round pick in next year's draft, I would have given the Bears that to have as Josh's backup for a year and then we wouldn't pick up his 5th year option so we could just release him. That's crazy 

Edited by Buffalo03

17 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Steelers are gambling that Russ can help develop him. 

If the Steelers don't make big investments in their offensive line, Russ Wilson will be too busy running for his life to develop anyone.

Pickett, a 2022 1st round Pick #20 and a 4th for a 3rd round pick and 2 7th round picks

Fields, a 2021 1st round Pick #11 for a 6th round pick that could become a 4th if he plays

Kinda looks like the Steelers sold high and bought low, but Wow!  QBs don't get much time to develop in this day and age.

I think if I were a Bears fan, I'd be kind of pissed.

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If the Steelers don't make big investments in their offensive line, Russ Wilson will be too busy running for his life to develop anyone.

Pickett, a 2022 1st round Pick #20 and a 4th for a 3rd round pick and 2 7th round picks

Fields, a 2021 1st round Pick #11 for a 6th round pick that could become a 4th if he plays

Kinda looks like the Steelers sold high and bought low, but Wow!  QBs don't get much time to develop in this day and age.

You are right about development but first round picks get paid too much sitting on burner to simmer EXECPT in Green Bay (due to different organization structure?),

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You think the Bears fans would be pissed to get Caleb Williams over Justin Fields?

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yep but I mean to say it seems like they signed Wilson to be the starter and if they make it a real competition then I don't think he will be. Fields is what Wilson used to be 5 years ago

When I heard that the Stillers traded for Fields, I thought that they had acquired another QB who would fit whatever offense they were planning in Pittsburgh.  Wilson's success in Seattle was always anchored by a stout defense, a strong running game, and a quick-strike passing game.   The Stillers have the stout defense and the strong running game.  They need Wilson to give them that nice long ball he had with Seattle as well as the good decisions and leadership that made him a starter as a rookie.

I think that Wilson's decision-making and leadership will likely give him the edge over Fields for this coming season.   From what I've seen of Fields, he's physically very much like Wilson in his prime, so I think that Pittsburgh is thinking/hoping that working with Wilson and better coaching will enable Fields to become significantly better.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

flailing

I disagreed with your post because "flailing" implies trying and failing, but IMO the Bills weren't really trying to win football games.  I don't believe that Bills were seriously interested in winning football games after Bill Polian was fired.  With the departure of John Butler and AJ Smith for San Diego, the Bills entered "The Drought" because Ralph Wilson increasingly put profits ahead of winning football games.  That didn't change until after the Pegulas became the owners.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think the Bears fans would be pissed to get Caleb Williams over Justin Fields?

At first they'll be ecstatic, but maybe in the future not so much.  Half of all QBs drafted in the first round are disappointments if not outright busts.

Moreover, the last USC QB to become a successful NFL QB was 20 plus years ago despite the fact that probably more USC QBs have been drafted at the top of the first round than any other school.  

2018 -   #3 - Sam Darnold 

2009  -  #5 - Mark Sanchez

2006 - #10 - Matt Leinart

2003 -   #1 - Carson Palmer

PS: other USC QBs haven't been outstanding since 2003 either:

2016 Cody Kessler        4th round

2013 Matt Barkley         3rd round

2008 John David Booty 5th round

2005 Matt Cassel          7th round

Edited by SoTier

4 hours ago, djp14150 said:

im not as dismissive on fields as others. Chicago has had numerous offense problems over the years.  Hoe much do you blame the team?  Similar with Pickett snd Steelers. How much of his development can be blamed on the system/staff?

I mean, sure I get that argument. But the year they drafted Fields they were a playoff team with Mitch Trubisky and Nick Foles at QB. He has won 10 games as a starter in 3 years, 5 of which were this year. 

Tyson Bagent went 2-2 as a starter this year as an undrafted rookie out of division 2 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

At first they'll be ecstatic, but maybe in the future not so much.  Half of all QBs drafted in the first round are disappointments if not outright busts.

Moreover, the last USC QB to become a successful NFL QB was 20 plus years ago despite the fact that probably more USC QBs have been drafted at the top of the first round than any other school.  

I don’t think you can avoid a guy because a guy in 2006 from the same school failed.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

With this logic, CJ Stroud was a bust.

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think it should be a requirement to include the money figures when making a comment like this 

You are serious?   The league salaries go up each season.  I do not have access to the Steelers finances.  If pressed, I would hazard a guess of slightly above the league average for a QB.   

13 minutes ago, Nitro said:

You are serious?   The league salaries go up each season.  I do not have access to the Steelers finances.  If pressed, I would hazard a guess of slightly above the league average for a QB.   

yea, I’m serious. I think that you are saying and above average contract ($35m a year as a floor).

That’s noteworthy and should be included in a post because it’s 90% of the context that makes the post actually able to be discussed in any productive way. 

without it the posts just noise 

6 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

The Bears are becoming the Cleveland Browns of the NFC.

‘They weed the draft of busts, and cut players that will go on to be better, and make senselessly bad trades

I don't understand all this dunking on the Bears.  They have actually made a lot of really astute trades lately.  The trade with Carolina last year was brilliant, and their mid-season trade for Montez Sweat was widely mocked, but has turned out well for Chicago; he completely turned around their defense.  The only bad one they've made in the last couple years was giving up a 2nd for Claypool.  And who are the busts they've drafted?  Fields didn't really work out but he's been a lot better than guys like Zach Wilson and he was taken the middle of the first, not at the top.  They are positioned to have a pretty strong team this year if they draft the right QB. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I mean, honestly, if all it took was a 6th round pick in next year's draft, I would have given the Bears that to have as Josh's backup for a year and then we wouldn't pick up his 5th year option so we could just release him. That's crazy 

Supposedly, at least one team with an established starter tried to acquire Fields, but Chicago decided to do him a favor by sending him somewhere he would have a chance to play.

Edited by mannc

8 hours ago, eball said:

Bears gonna Bear.  Crazy.

What were the Bears supposed to do, in your opinion?  At least they swindled Carolina out of the first overall pick in the draft, so they have options... 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, not at all.  But for the little bitty bit they got for him, I think they could have just kept him on the roster to see what happens and whether someone would make them a better offer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Apparently he was very popular according to Rap… but the Bears did him a solid sending him to a place where he had an easier path to being the starter 

Who were the other teams do we know?

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Apparently he was very popular according to Rap… but the Bears did him a solid sending him to a place where he had an easier path to being the starter 

OK, if Da Bears motivation was to do the 1st round pick they're abandoning a solid by giving him input into his landing spot, I approve their actions. 

It's a business, but not a 100% heartless one

Just now, mannc said:

I haven’t heard, but it would not shock me if the Bills were interested.

Guess there was conversations that he’d have a chance to compete for the starting gig at Pittsburgh and not the other destinations…?

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

OK, if Da Bears motivation was to do the 1st round pick they're abandoning a solid by giving him input into his landing spot, I approve their actions. 

It's a business, but not a 100% heartless one

I think it happens a lot with guys who are well-liked within an organization. Ryan Bates is an example.

Edited by mannc

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No, not at all.  But for the little bitty bit they got for him, I think they could have just kept him on the roster to see what happens and whether someone would make them a better offer.

It seems there was little market for Fields, given how cheaply he traded for.  

You can't have the failed 1st rounder/franchise savior sitting on the bench behind the next 1st rounder/franchise savior...

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

I haven’t heard, but it would not shock me if the Bills were interested.

Why do you think the bills would be interested out of curiosity?

He would be a fairly expensive backup, and his 5th year option would kick in the following year.

So would basically be a 1 year rental as an expensive back up

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

He would be a fairly expensive backup, and his 5th year option would kick in the following year.

I think it's possible.  JA and Fields have somewhat similar playing styles.  Trubisky has already proven that he's a barely adequate backup, so the bar is pretty low.  I don't think Fields on his rookie deal is a very expensive backup, although honestly, I'm not sure what hit he's going to have on Pittsburgh's cap...    

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think it's possible.  JA and Fields have somewhat similar playing styles.  Trubisky has already proven that he's a barely adequate backup, so the bar is pretty low.  I don't think Fields on his rookie deal is a very expensive backup, although honestly, I'm not sure what hit he's going to have on Pittsburgh's cap...    

fair points, but do you think it would be worth the investment to trade assets for most likely a one year rental who is pretty expensive for a backup QB? (In a tight capped team)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

fair points, but do you think it would be worth the investment to trade assets for most likely a one year rental who is pretty expensive for a backup QB? (In a tight capped team)

We're talking about giving up a sixth round pick and the Bills have more late-round picks than they could possibly roster, so I don't think that's much of an impediment.  

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

1 year 3m isn’t particularly expensive 

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

We're talking about giving up a sixth round pick and the Bills have more late-round picks than they could possibly roster, so I don't think that's much of an impediment.  

The Bears have apparently looked after him by sending him somewhere that he can win the starting job… that is never going to happen in Buffalo 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

1 year 3m isn’t particularly expensive 

3.2 for a team that needs a good backup,  I agree it's affordable.

But anything over 2.5 is a bit expensive for the bills IMO, especially considering they are tight against cap and Josh is the most durable QB in the league 

38 minutes ago, mannc said:

Rumours are they could have gotten more from other teams, but they did right to fields by sending him to a place he can compete for a starting job.

I would guess it would have cost the bills a 4th to get him 

3 hours ago, mannc said:

If we didn't give Trubisky $2.7m guaranteed they may have inquired about Fields.  He'll count $2m towards the cap this year and we'll eat $1.5m if we cut him.  This team cap wise isn't in a position to commit at what minimum would've been a $4.7m cap space to the backup QB position (assuming Trubisky was cut).