After Day 1

I'm in London right now crushing it in the gym 4 hours ahead of Buffalo.

Knowing what we know now, on Day 2, what would your plan be if you were GM?

Me, I think I sit tight at this point and let things settle. 

Beane plugged some holes.

If I'm him, I see what happens at safety and edge over the coming weeks. 

My guess is there will be some value at safety. 

If I had to make a move, I would make a run at Chase Young ( see what I did there?) and see if he is willing to go mercenary and sign a 2 year deal (that really is a one year prove it) like Floyd did last year. 

BTW, saw Chelsea vs Northampton last night. Must say it was fun but not really thrilling like so many soccer fans suggest. Atmosphere was more polite than raucous. The Northampton fans were in one section and shouted the entire match(did I get that right?). The Chelsea folks mostly sat and watched. It was a Monday night. No beer in the stands and their main beer was Singha which is their sponsor. 

• Like (+1) 3

My guess is we'll see Dane Jackson return as Outside CB4 and Ty Johnson return as RB3. Maybe there's a fun move like a vet RB2 or a mid tier Outside WR3 with the potential to Start in the event that our Round 1 WR doesn't have his sea legs under him at the next level immediately.

But I tend to agree he's probably laying low. Waiting for teams to spend their money and then fill some holes with the best of what's left, at decent prices.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If I had to make a move, I would make a run at Chase Young ( see what I did there?) and see if he is willing to go mercenary and sign a 2 year deal (that really is a one year prove it) like Floyd did last year. 

BTW, saw Chelsea vs Northampton last night. Must say it was fun but not really thrilling like so many soccer fans suggest. Atmosphere was more polite than raucous. The Northampton fans were in one section and shouted the entire match(did I get that right?). The Chelsea folks mostly sat and watched. It was a Monday night. No beer in the stands and their main beer was Singha which is their sponsor. 

You mean Newcastle, not Northampton, right?  How strong was the Singha?! 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Chelsea are terrible that's why. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Lol...good catch...I swear I just started typing and the auto suggest picked Northampton.  I don't even know if that is a team...lol

Northampton Town is a team. But they won't be sniffing the Premier League any time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It wasn't a great game, despite (spoilers) finishing 3-2. Shame you couldn't make it to Liverpool v Manchester City the day before!

• Agree 1

100% agree. Couldn’t be happier with the way we started our new season. We knew things would be tight but Beane found a way to still keep 2 key pieces from last years D in DQ and AJ. He got our best backup QB back on a cheap contract and he hasn’t overpaid for anyone overrated (well maybe Rapp). Now let free agency come to you, no need to rush and spend on one of the 20+ safeties still available. Hopefully the scouting department killed the draft prep and we hit on all of our picks. After the draft we hit on any remaining holes. 

Side note: impact players are still going to be released in the upcoming days and months (Khalil Mack, maybe even Nick Chubb) We’ll be fine playing the long game 

• Agree 1

Not sure where they are cap wise but I don’t want to restructure Diggs.  I think they can gain some more space by extending Johnson and. Maybe a couple other minor moves.  I don’t expect much more but as FA goes I expect low end wr  safety dt de and ol signings.  Kinda like Rapp and puna last year type deals.  

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Chelsea are terrible that's why. 

Northampton Town is a team. But they won't be sniffing the Premier League any time. 

Was going to say, not the best representation of English football. Chelsea are nicknamed 'The Pensioners' and their fans have always been more well off. Definitely not blue colour. Newcastle fans, on the other hand would have been more representative.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Was going to say, not the best representation of English football. Chelsea are nicknamed 'The Pensioners' and their fans have always been more well off. Definitely not blue colour. Newcastle fans, on the other hand would have been more representative.

And the match going Chelsea fans I know are where I was back in 2019.... going to games feeling it impossible to associate with any of the mercenaries on the pitch for them. That club is a mess at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And the match going Chelsea fans I know are where I was back in 2019.... going to games feeling it impossible to associate with any of the mercenaries on the pitch for them. That club is a mess at the moment. 

Absolutely a mess. No direction at moment. Not that I'm feeling sorry for Chelsea scum.

34 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Definitely seemed that way

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My guess is we'll see Dane Jackson return as Outside CB4 and Ty Johnson return as RB3. Maybe there's a fun move like a vet RB2 or a mid tier Outside WR3 with the potential to Start in the event that our Round 1 WR doesn't have his sea legs under him at the next level immediately.

But I tend to agree he's probably laying low. Waiting for teams to spend their money and then fill some holes with the best of what's left, at decent prices.

I mean, I would love it if we got Dane back for one more year a la Levi Wallace.

I do think it's notable that after Day 1, the signings were bringing back expired vets, meaning that they probably had an offer from Beane, waited to see what they got and ultimately came back.

14 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, I would love it if we got Dane back for one more year a la Levi Wallace.

I do think it's notable that after Day 1, the signings were bringing back expired vets, meaning that they probably had an offer from Beane, waited to see what they got and ultimately came back.

Great no one else wanted Epenesa or Lewis so we just had to keep them....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Great no one else wanted Epenesa or Lewis so we just had to keep them....

Fwiw, my nephew the dyed in the wool Chiefs fan who’s heavy on their boards told me that was one of the targets that fan base really liked—probably the tip play ingrained in their collective memory? 🤷🏼‍♂️

21 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

We need to sign a safety.  Who are some realistic options still out there? Chinn? Fuller (Rams)? CGJ?

I do think there is a chance they are in on Justin Simmons or Kamren Curl. To me, those are both elite guys. Simmons is a top 5 safety. Curl is a great fit, excellent and is about to turn 25. 

After that, you have younger guys in that 25-27 range like Julian Blackmon, Jordan Whitehead, Mike Edwards, K'Von Wallace, and Jordan Fuller. I think we likely get one in this group and I like Blackmon a lot. I think he is an awesome fit in what we do defensively. He's a former corner who reminds me of Micah Hyde. 

Disappointing young guys like Jeremy Chinn and Ashtyn Davis. If you add these guys, I still think you have question marks in the secondary. 

30+ vets like Eddie Jackson and Rayshawn Jenkins. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Thank you for letting us know where you are and what you are doing. We’ve all been worried sick wondering about those 2 specifics! Go Bills!!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We are re-signing our guys which is good. But we haven't moved the needle at all. If we are living on "hope" that we draft good players that will make an impact I fear we are all in for a long season. For me, I expected a tough season coming up anyway. Lot's of chatter last year about our "window closing". I do think it is true and it's closing fast - kinda like the Bengals.

Unless Beane works some magic we are in a tough spot.

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I'm on a yacht right now using a couple of nude models as my foot rest. Anyway, happy Davis is gone.  

Oh nooo I hope they don't fart.

• Haha (+1) 1

Hey fellas, I'm just on a safari hunt in Kenya, I came across a troop of gorillas and crushed the alpha silverback, and now I'm their leader. The local tribesmen are very impressed. Kind of a big deal.

Anyways, I think Beane has his eye on a couple of mid-level depth players, but nothing that moves the needle. Maybe he shoots his shot with a starting-caliber WR.

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Not sure where they are cap wise but I don’t want to restructure Diggs.  I think they can gain some more space by extending Johnson and. Maybe a couple other minor moves.  I don’t expect much more but as FA goes I expect low end wr  safety dt de and ol signings.  Kinda like Rapp and puna last year type deals.  

If there’s not an easy out on that Diggs contract within the next two years, that’ll be the next albatross choking this team.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

ive been thinking the same about young...c if he sits for a while, n then is looking for a team with potential super bowl aspirations

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Edge is done. With Epenesa signing no way we make a play for any significant edge in FA. Will likely draft one and maybe even re-sign Lawson or someone like that on vet min but we are done with anything significant there.  We have Miller, Rousseau, Epenesa, Kingsley Johnathan under contract currently (and Cameron Kline but he is probably cut or PS). 

A veteran at good value for Safety is a must at some point, and then likely a RB and WR and rotational DT as well, but we are done at edge.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, would have loved going after Young but signing Epenesa prohibits anything further there.  A little surprised we didn't just let him go but will wait to see the contract details before judging fully.

Edited by vtnatefootball11

Good start for Beane.  Nice job with restructures, extensions, pay cuts.  Excited to see what we do with all the draft capital.

If Von comes back to close to his previous play levels, it will go a long way.  Still think we target some edge rusher with high level physical traits in the draft and maybe another vet.

Agree that a vet safety is on Beane’s to-do.

Again, I think it’s going to be fascinating to see how Beane manages the draft!  Hopefully a massive infusion of potential coming our way

2 hours ago, boyst said:

football board discussing the hobby of soccer. the post is therefore invalid.

One is football ️ , the other is American rugby 🏉 /  🏈  😁👍

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, unfortunately the consensus is the team needs to get younger and we need new talent, so far this has not happened yet.   We needed to shed money to get cap friendly for 2024 & 2025.

I am really hoping that we hit the draft with #1 WR, #2 S, and #3 or #4 WR.  Then let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

We have already been down this road and we lost last year because we could not push the ball down the field when it mattered in the entire game vs KC at home with our current WR corps.  If that was not the most damning kryptonite to neutralize Josh then I don't know what else to say.  

We had no deep passing game at all, our longest pass was just 15 yards, KC had 32, 25, 29 yard completions.  No speed at WR to get any separation and that has to be fixed this year.  All to often in 2023 Buffalo came up short and did not make enough game changing plays down field, in a lot of games, when it mattered or when we need it to happen.  We are one of the worst teams with YAC stats in the league.

To take the next step we have to be able to do this on a consistent basis, which right now is the missing component on this offense at WR.

2 hours ago, vanislebills44 said:

ive been thinking the same about young...c if he sits for a while, n then is looking for a team with potential super bowl aspirations

Chase Young is becoming the new Clowney on this board of a highly drafted disappointment that will come available every couple years and someone will bring him up only for the Bills not to sniff him