Plans at WR?

“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry”.  Sadly, after watching the WRs go at the Combine this came right into my mind (Thomas appears to be the delineated drop off point and we ain’t sniffing his used Combine unitard … that said, the history of the league is littered with so many alleged instances of bad prognostication).  

Just now, BillMafia716ix said:

Hollins is a WR5. Brought in to play special teams 

We'll see. We thought the same thing about Sherfield.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

You think they're only going to carry 4 receivers, or is that Hollins and 2 rookies?

I think only 4 are likely to be active on gameday. We'll carry 5 or 6 on the roster. Shorter might be one and another late rd pick or FA could be the other

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

We'll see. We thought the same thing about Sherfield.

I think only 4 are likely to be active on gameday. We'll carry 5 or 6 on the roster. Shorter might be one and another late rd pick or FA could be the other

I haven't been following the entire conversation, but I know you are often a contrarian. Does this mean you doubt there is a day 1 or early day 2 pick at WR?

I find that very hard to believe.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I haven't been following the entire conversation, but I know you are often a contrarian. Does this mean you doubt there is a day 1 or early day 2 pick at WR?

I find that very hard to believe.

I expect them to draft a WR or two somewhere. I'm not certain where. I could easily see them go defense in the first two rounds though. I accounted for both scenarios in my statement.

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

1. Diggs
2. Hollins/Rookie
3. Shakir
4. Hollins/Rookie

That's the plan.

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

4. Rookie

5. Hollins 

6. Rookie / speedy slot who doubles as a returner...

You're forgetting that Dalton Kincaid is the team's #2 receiver. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I expect them to draft a WR or two somewhere. I'm not certain where. I could easily see them go defense in the first two rounds though. I accounted for both scenarios in my statement.

Alright, I know their proclivities, but 2 D early would be a terrible choice. It's a great year for WR, but not so much if you push it out to day 3 before you take one. I think the odds still favor WR in the first, and if not, in the second.

15 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

4. Rookie

5. Hollins 

Dalton Kincaid is an important part of our Offense. But he's not "WR2".

When we speak of WR2 - most of us are talking about the Starting Boundary WR opposite Stefon Diggs. Dalton Kincaid is not that, nor can he be. He's a Big Slot.

Even if you're referring to WR2 as the second passing option outside of Diggs and taking Slot into account, his numbers were still under Gabe Davis and Khalil Shakir last season.

Again, DK is very important to us. But he's definitely not WR2, any way you slice it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

4. Rookie

5. Hollins 

No I'm not. He won't be competing for WR2. He'll take snaps away from WR3 if anything.

15 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. Shakir

4. Rookie

5. Hollins 

We are not turning Kincaid into chase claypool. He is a te that can go in the slot. Not a wr2. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Alright, I know their proclivities, but 2 D early would be a terrible choice. It's a great year for WR, but not so much if you push it out to day 3 before you take one. I think the odds still favor WR in the first, and if not, in the second.

That's not the way Beane drafts. If all of the round 1 talent is gone by the time we draft, he wont take one just to take one. Ditto in round 2. We draft so late that the only way they can guarantee a Round 1 WR is to trade up, which is unlikely given how many needs we have.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

That's not the way Beane drafts. If all of the round 1 talent is gone by the time we draft, he wont take one just to take one. Ditto in round 2. We draft so late that the only way they can guarantee a Round 1 WR is to trade up, which is unlikely given how many needs we have.

We'll see. I think Beane is determined to improve the WR room, and it sure as hell isn't going to happen with free agency.

31 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Dalton Kincaid is an important part of our Offense. But he's not "WR2".

When we speak of WR2 - most of us are talking about the Starting Boundary WR opposite Stefon Diggs. Dalton Kincaid is not that, nor can he be. He's a Big Slot.

Even if you're referring to WR2 as the second passing option outside of Diggs and taking Slot into account, his numbers were still under Gabe Davis and Khalil Shakir last season.

Again, DK is very important to us. But he's definitely not WR2, any way you slice it.

Kincaid was targeted 10 more times than Davis last year, and the first half of the season he was being coddled. 

Next season he should have closer to 120 targets, and be the clear #2. And his ypr will hopefully grow.

It's like how Kelce has been the clear #1 for the Chiefs since Tyreek left.  

23 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

1. Diggs
2. Hollins/Rookie
3. Shakir
4. Hollins/Rookie

That's the plan.

1. Diggs

2. Kincaid

3. Rookie X

4. Curtis Samuel 

5. Shakir

6. Cook

7. Knox

8. Hollins

9. Hammler? 2nd rookie? 

Those options to throw too look a lot more impactful than the four you mentioned. 

• Like (+1) 1

Glad to see Beane addressing WR in FA. I still contend and hope we add a dynamic playmaker at WR early in the draft. Someone that stretches the field but yet is strong over the middle as well.

Wondering who is taking over kick off and punt returns on the roster?

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Diggs is a #2? Hahahahahaha

Yes! Hahahahahaha 

Over the last 12 games of the regular season and the 2 playoff games (14 games), Diggs had one game with 100 yards receiving and 3 total TDs.  Bills did not have a #1 receiver for 3/4 of the 2023-2024 season.  It certainly appears as if he’s not him anymore.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Yes! Hahahahahaha 

Over the last 12 games of the regular season and the 2 playoff games (14 games), Diggs had one game with 100 yards receiving and 3 total TDs.  Bills did not have a #1 receiver for 3/4 of the 2023-2024 season.  It certainly appears as if he’s not him anymore.  

Think the narrative would have changed quite a bit if Allen didn't constantly overthrow him while he was wide open just about every game.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Think the narrative would have changed quite a bit if Allen didn't constantly overthrow him while he was wide open just about every game.

Constantly? I seem to remember a dime bouncing off of his hands in our 3 point playoff loss to KC. 

Reasonably, I think Diggs is still a #1 WR on this team and in this league. But I don’t think he’s quite what he was at his peak and he’ll be 31 this November. That’s been the about the time WRs hit their productivity cliffs. The Samuel signing is as much about having a Diggs replacement on the roster as it is filling out the WR corps. 

I’ve gone from wanting Worthy because I think he’s at least WR4 in the draft…

To wanting Worthy just to see the board complain that “He’S aNoThEr SmAlL sLoT wR!” despite the facts that he plays big, runs great routes, and is consistently productive on the boundary. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I’ve gone from wanting Worthy because I think he’s at least WR4 in the draft…

To wanting Worthy just to see the board complain that “He’S aNoThEr SmAlL sLoT wR!” despite the facts that he plays big, runs great routes, and is consistently productive on the boundary. 

one thing is for sure, if we added Worthy....we become way more explosive than last year

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

DJ Chark might be a better player and fit than any of the names highlighted.

Chark has a career catch rate similar to if not worse than Gabe Davis.

• Agree 1

On 3/12/2024 at 10:24 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

True, but I don’t think any team expects their 4th and 5th receivers will make much impact.  I do agree that we need a bit more from those spots than we got last year (though Sherfield was fine on Special Teams).

Not spending draft picks on WR at this point is criminal. It’s year f’ing 7 of Franchise QB Josh Allen’s career. 

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Not spending draft picks on WR at this point is criminal. It’s year f’ing 7 of Franchise QB Josh Allen’s career. 

I am not arguing against using a high pick on a WR.  I hope that they do draft one in the first or second round and I hope the one they draft turns out to be great.  

On 3/14/2024 at 7:34 PM, Big Turk said:

Diggs is a #2? Hahahahahaha

Greg Cosell disagrees

1-drafted WR -AD Mitchell is my guess

2-Diggs

Slot-Shakir

3-Samuel.

4-Hollins

I think there is a great chance the Bills select two WR this draft, and possibly carry 6 WR, with the 6th spot being big WR and 4 phase special teams player and/or returner

Edited by Pete