How are we feeling about Elam?

Kaenon

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope you are right and a light just suddenly comes on. I don't see it though. 

But he might never have the potential to start for five years for this team in this defense. I think he is more like Jerry Hughes than Wyatt Teller. Hughes could have stayed in Indianapolis for 5 years longer and not broken out the way he did for the Bills because his skillset wasn't fitting what he was being asked to do. 

Hey, Gunner.  I was rereading this, and I hadn't really focused on the Hughes comparison.   I can really see that.  Hughes had an interesting skill set, but he wasn't well suited to playing the more button-down style McDermott wants from his edges.  Playing that style limited the things that he did best.  Hughes wasn't able to make explosive plays in that defense.  

Even though we've seen only a little of Elam, we've seen enough to see that playing with the discipline McDermott requires limits his ability to make plays.   

Compare him to Tre White, for example.  White was good enough to be a true cover corner, but when he played with the discipline required by the defense, his cover skills aren't lost.  That same thing is what the Bills got from Poyer and Hyde, and from Johnson.  They're all guys with ability to make big plays AND play the scheme.  That's also what's expected from the linebackers - run the defense, but make plays, too.  

That's what Elam has to do, and we haven't seen that from him yet.  And that was Hughes's struggle, too.  The difference is that Hughes was still a net plus on the field, but Elam has generally been a minus.   Elam has to make a leap this summer.   I can see that now.  

I feel like he is a guy who plays da game of professional foosball for a living. 

I dunno. It seems like they see something in him. Year one it took a while for him to adapt to the scheme and stuff. Then year two he was banged up so...tough to gauge, I guess. 

He's had his moments for sure. But he's also had some not so great moments. I'd imagine if he doesn't turn the corner this season then they'll probably wanna move on. Hopefully he takes the leap and becomes whatever they think he can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

For whatever reason, the Bills and/or Douglas didn’t want to go past this coming season. 

Ideally it clicks for him under new coaching and the Rasul Douglas replacement is in house. 

For some guys the jump to the pros is much like the jump from HS to major college programs.   Some guys don't develop/start until year 3 and 4 when theyre juniors and seniors.    He made some plays late in the year, there still hope the light comes on, he has the physical tools.

He started to show some flashes at the end of last season. He had a nice INT in the endzone and almost had another in the same game. While I hope he can be a “late bloomer,” I won’t hold my breath on that. Still grabs/holds way too much!

12 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

The people calling to trade him-why? What are the Bills going to get for him? A 6th round pick? Cool, he’s more valuable than that to the team.  You just want him gone because you’re butt hurt he hasn’t played up to expectations, but trading him is an extremely foolish move. He’s cheap, he plus a position of need , and he has shown flashes 

Folks said this about Big Cody just before we launched Big Cody into the sun (Arizona).

I still don't feel foolish about it.

Edited by FireChans

I'm willing to take a wait and see attitude and at least see what he can be when healthy. I'm drawing a line through last season due to the injury.  If he is still not worth activating after preseason then it's over, but who knows. He could end up starting with Benford moving to one of the vacant safety spots.

• Like (+1) 1

What is still unexplained is if Elam doesn't fit McDermott's "scheme" then why did the team make a deal to swap first rounders and give up another pick to move up a couple spots to draft a CB that didn't fit was a square peg, round hole case?  Did they not do the scouting, workouts, and interviews with Elam to understand any of this circumstance?  Was there some disconnect between the GM and the HC?  Did they just severely miscalculate how hard it would be for Elam to make the transition in his game to play under the Bills D scheme? 

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

What is still unexplained is if Elam doesn't fit McDermott's "scheme" then why did the team make a deal to swap first rounders and give up another pick to move up a couple spots to draft a CB that didn't fit was a square peg, round hole case?  Did they not do the scouting, workouts, and interviews with Elam to understand any of this circumstance?  Was there some disconnect between the GM and the HC?  Did they just severely miscalculate how hard it would be for Elam to make the transition in his game to play under the Bills D scheme? 

I'm pretty sure the latter. Beane talked about his transitions in the presser right after the pick. So they knew about the weaknesses in his game and must have known how that would make executing zone defense tougher. I think they just thought: good kid, NFL DNA, coachable, we will be able to teach him the techniques and if we can his physical gifts give him a huge ceiling. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Should have been playing in the Chiefs game, another McDermott blunder playing a hurt Rasual instead of him.

Give him a chance for crying out loud.

Came up with a huge interception in the Steelers game.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Should have been playing in the Chiefs game, another McDermott blunder playing a hurt Rasual instead of him.

Give him a chance for crying out loud.

Came up with a huge interception in the Steelers game.

I agree with this you could really see that Douglas was laboring in the Kansas City game. Hell, our full defense was in a Looney Tunes Acme.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel the same as I always have... He's not a longterm answer for this team. 

Hopefully he'll make me eat my words later & prove me wrong, but I don't see it.

He has made a handful of memorable plays, so I'll always appreciate that.