How are we feeling about Elam?

Kaenon

He’s still on the team, still in the doghouse and probably still won’t play. Need depth in the secondary which is why they’ll keep him around. Still have him for 2 more seasons on cost control and 5 if he somehow finds his way out of the first two stipulations and performs. 

2 likely scenarios that could happen if that doesn’t transpire; he’s traded mid season or next year after years end. 

• Dislike 1

The people calling to trade him-why? What are the Bills going to get for him? A 6th round pick? Cool, he’s more valuable than that to the team.  You just want him gone because you’re butt hurt he hasn’t played up to expectations, but trading him is an extremely foolish move. He’s cheap, he plus a position of need , and he has shown flashes 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I would like to see what some of the new coaches can do with him. Sometimes it takes a different voice. Obviously he has been a massive disappointment and a weird fit, but he was overdrafted and it always kind of felt like it wasn't going to work. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Curious to hear your thoughts on this upcoming season for Elam and expectations.

Do you think he's starting?

Is he traded?

Or is he CB3 behind Douglas and Benford?

He's number 3 behind Douglas and Benford. Yet I'm sure we'll draft a CB somewhere with our 11 picks as competition and moreso if we don't re-sign Dane Jackson. I will say I like him better than Cam Lewis but also be on the eye for a cheap vet to bring into the mix. 

I have heard the whispers that he was being held back because he was in John Butler's doghouse, not McDermott's. If that's true I expect to see him given an opportunity to be the third boundary corner and make a few spot starts for injury. Perhaps the feeling from the new defensive coaches had something to do with Rasul being restructured instead of extended to see what they truly have in Elam before investing further.

Play on the field from what I've seen has been up and down. Has given up catches and penalties. However has made a few splash plays as well. 

I learned the lesson last off season not to rush too fast to judgement from the Bernard situation. I'm just hoping we finally see him get the snaps on the field to see what's there. I expect him showcased a bit in the preseason.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

I think he can be a very good corner. He's made for man coverage and this team needs to adapt to be able to play man coverage. There are teams where we will never get home with rushing 4. We need to be able to play some man/press. As a matter of fact, this team needs to prioritize new scheming defensively.

They should be able to create pressure when they need to...be it..

4-3 base with man coverage and sending a LB on every play...

Playing a 5-2-4 at times like we did with Lorax or..

more blitzing on nickel.

While I believe McD is worlds better than Frazier and did an excellent job with the injuries last year, I would really like to see some innovation from him this year.

Hopefully he let's Babich be creative with line stunts as well as the above.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

The people calling to trade him-why? What are the Bills going to get for him? A 6th round pick? Cool, he’s more valuable than that to the team.  You just want him gone because you’re butt hurt he hasn’t played up to expectations, but trading him is an extremely foolish move. He’s cheap, he plus a position of need , and he has shown flashes 

We completely ***** up. After his first year was the only chance to trade him. Especially if we could have just worked him into the lineup. We may have got a 5th on a draft day trade. More value than he's offered the team at all. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

My gut says traded. 

It sucks because we may be lucky to get a 5th. After his first year when it should have been clear to the Bills org he didn't work for our needs we could have gotten more if we just put him on the field in any capacity. We refused. Mind boggling.