Another reason to fire McDermott

Watkins90

Josh was easily the most dominant player on the field in the divisional round. Mahomes just gets all the credit. He has a better team, mainly because their front office takes Humphries instead of Basham, or McDuffie instead of Elam.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I’m not sure how you could miss the point harder tbh.

So, your "point" is that you're either an ignorant fan or a trouble-making troll? 

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

Actually, wouldn't BB be the responsible one for the trade? 

^^^

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I don't think Beane was the GM at the time. Doug Whaley was.

You are correct, but I think the idea behind it is solid: I don't think McDermott ever had complete control over draft decisions.  He was recently promoted from DC to HC for the first time, so it doesn't seem likely that he would have been given complete control over the roster.  After Beane was hired, Beane and McDermott worked together on personnel selection.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Whaley had been neutered by McDermott for the draft. He was so angry at being totally ignored that he left the draft room. Then he was fired immediately after the draft. The only reason he was kept through it was so that he wouldn’t leak info. 

I think this is partly true in that Whaley was definitely on the way out by the time of the 2017 draft.   Was that because there was a power struggle that McDermott won or had Whaley and Russ Brandon, who had solidified his position under the Pegulas after the Rex Ryan debacle, had a falling out?  Given Brandon's belief in "money ball" style of management that stressed maximizing profits, I think he would have been reluctant to draft another first round QB in 2017 after they drafted EJ Manuel in 2013 because he didn't want to pay 2 first round QB salaries.  Whaley recognized talent.  If he had truly been in charge of personnel in 2017, I'm fairly sure that the Bills would have drafted either Mahomes or Watson in 2017. 

I think that the Bills FO was in significant disarray in the spring of 2017.  I think that it's likely Brandon decreed no first round QB and then left Whaley and McDermott or McDermott himself to muddle through.  Whatever the situation was, the 2017 draft yielded three top players -- White, Dawkins and Milano -- for the Bills. 

I would definitely have preferred Mahomes at #10 in 2017 rather than Tre White but it doesn't matter at this point.  The Chiefs have Mahomes.  The Bills have Allen.  The QBs are so close in talent and leadership that the real difference between the two franchises is in coaching and the level of team talent, and even there, the separation is modest.   IMO, if the Bills had had Tre White and Matt Milano in the divisional game, they would have won the game.  Hell, maybe if they have Rasul Douglas and Terrell Bernard in that game, they might have even won the divisional game.   Manure happens.   In this case, injuries to key defensive starters -- and then to the next guys up just before the divisional round -- probably sealed the Bills' fate against the Chiefs.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

So, your "point" is that you're either an ignorant fan or a trouble-making troll? 

^^^

You are correct, but I think the idea behind it is solid: I don't think McDermott ever had complete control over draft decisions.  He was recently promoted from DC to HC for the first time, so it doesn't seem likely that he would have been given complete control over the roster.  After Beane was hired, Beane and McDermott worked together on personnel selection.

I think this is partly true in that Whaley was definitely on the way out by the time of the 2017 draft.   Was that because there was a power struggle that McDermott won or had Whaley and Russ Brandon, who had solidified his position under the Pegulas after the Rex Ryan debacle, had a falling out?  Given Brandon's belief in "money ball" style of management that stressed maximizing profits, I think he would have been reluctant to draft another first round QB in 2017 after they drafted EJ Manuel in 2013 because he didn't want to pay 2 first round QB salaries.  Whaley recognized talent.  If he had truly been in charge of personnel in 2017, I'm fairly sure that the Bills would have drafted either Mahomes or Watson in 2017. 

I think that the Bills FO was in significant disarray in the spring of 2017.  I think that it's likely Brandon decreed no first round QB and then left Whaley and McDermott or McDermott himself to muddle through.  Whatever the situation was, the 2017 draft yielded three top players -- White, Dawkins and Milano -- for the Bills. 

I would definitely have preferred Mahomes at #10 in 2017 rather than Tre White but it doesn't matter at this point.  The Chiefs have Mahomes.  The Bills have Allen.  The QBs are so close in talent and leadership that the real difference between the two franchises is in coaching and the level of team talent, and even there, the separation is modest.   IMO, if the Bills had had Tre White and Matt Milano in the divisional game, they would have won the game.  Hell, maybe if they have Rasul Douglas and Terrell Bernard in that game, they might have even won the divisional game.   Manure happens.   In this case, injuries to key defensive starters -- and then to the next guys up just before the divisional round -- probably sealed the Bills' fate against the Chiefs.

There’s no need for name calling when you think Stefon Diggs is relevant to the conversation lmao

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think this is partly true in that Whaley was definitely on the way out by the time of the 2017 draft.   Was that because there was a power struggle that McDermott won or had Whaley and Russ Brandon, who had solidified his position under the Pegulas after the Rex Ryan debacle, had a falling out?

I think it was simply a matter of McDermott bringing in his own guy. He had been working with Beane, who was Assistant GM in Carolina. I’m not sure why he waited until after the draft to hire him though.

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There’s no need for name calling when you think Stefon Diggs is relevant to the conversation lmao

Diggs is irrelevant if your purpose is to troll.   Ignoring White, Milano, and Dawkins also works for trolling purposes.

Forgetting about White and Milano on the Bills and including HIll as a factor in the Chiefs' last 2 SB wins suggests ignorance.

Edited by SoTier

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think it was simply a matter of McDermott bringing in his own guy. He had been working with Beane, who was Assistant GM in Carolina. I’m not sure why he waited until after the draft to hire him though.

I think it was simply that the Bills had a GM in place when they hired McDermott.   Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon were best friends going back to their college days.  Something went wrong in that relationship between McDermott's hiring and the draft.  I think people assumed it was a power struggle between McDermott and Whaley but if Brandon still supported Whaley, there would have been no way for McDermott to win a power struggle.   I think Terry Pegula stayed out of team politics after his insistence in hiring Rex Ryan turned out so poorly.  I don't think we'll ever know exactly what happened.  

I will say that the best thing that ever happened to the Bills franchise in the 21st century was Russ Brandon being named head of both the Bills and Sabres.  Brandon's sexual harassment of a female Sabres employee who complained to Kim Pegula led directly to his ouster from the Bills in the spring of 2018.   Brandon's exit enabled Beane and McDermott to set the team on a path to success.

18 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Diggs is irrelevant if your purpose is to troll.   Ignoring White, Milano, and Dawkins also works for trolling purposes.

Forgetting about White and Milano on the Bills and including HIll as a factor in the Chiefs' last 2 SB wins suggests ignorance.

Holy smokes this is painful to read.

The Bills had pick 10. They traded it to the Chiefs. The Chiefs selected Mahomes. Mahomes went to a team with Hill, Kelce, Chris Jones and coached by Andy Reid. They were a maxed out first or second round playoff team prior to that. We GAVE them the missing piece for their dynasty. And Patrick Mahomes has gone to the AFCCG 6 straight seasons, and won 3 Superbowls, and knocked the Bills out of the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years.

I’m not forgetting about Dawkins or Milano or whatever the heck you are talking about. I’m not cherry-picking, because there’s nothing to cherry pick. If you want to say the trade was worth it because we also drafted Dawkins or traded for Diggs in 2020 or whatever the hell you are trying to say, more power to you. I prefer winning Superbowls so to me, the trade was definitively NOT worth it.

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Bills had pick 10. They traded it to the Chiefs. The Chiefs selected Mahomes. Mahomes went to a team with Hill, Kelce, Chris Jones and coached by Andy Reid. They were a maxed out first or second round playoff team prior to that. We GAVE them the missing piece for their dynasty. And Patrick Mahomes has gone to the AFCCG 6 straight seasons, and won 3 Superbowls, and knocked the Bills out of the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years.

I’m not forgetting about Dawkins or Milano or whatever the heck you are talking about. I’m not cherry-picking, because there’s nothing to cherry pick. If you want to say the trade was worth it because we also drafted Dawkins or traded for Diggs in 2020 or whatever the hell you are trying to say, more power to you. I prefer winning Superbowls so to me, the trade was definitively NOT worth it.

Any Bills fan that wouldn't trade Allen for Mahome straight up right now, or go back in time and reverse the events of the 2017 draft is delusional, or even trolling at this point. And again, it's not a knock on Allen at all for obvious reasons. But to say Dawkins, Milano, White, etc were getting over Mahomes is also hilarious.

I do believe in fate and destiny and after 17 straight years of failure, what might be the best player in NFL history when it's all said and done, fell right into the Bills lap that year and of course they punted and traded the pick away. You simply can't make this stuff up and if the Bills are really cursed this sealed their fate for eternity.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

And? He wasn’t taken till pick 10 meaning nine teams didn’t think enough of Patrick that someone wouldn’t trade up with them. Btw did you see who some of those teams before pick 10 had at Qb? You’re talking the Andy Daltons, Josh Mccowns, and Jimmy Garapolos of the world. 

Again,  misleading statement, not all teams before 10 Needed a QB.

Some teams pick for need other than best player available.
Oh Yeah, and  did you know who was drafted at 8?

Christian McCaffrey.
You refuse to  acknowledge the fact that Sean McDermott's first move in an NFL draft was to trade away the pick that would have brought Pat Mahomes to Buffalo.

Edited by beer can shower

37 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mahommes is not Mahommes without Andy Reid. I think that’s pretty safe to say. Mahommes is definitely not Mahommes with Sean McDermot. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I never said that lol. He definitely can’t win one in 2023, or 2021, or 2020 because he already lost to Pat. 

Hopefully he can eventually squeak by and win one. Unfortunately Allen is gonna have to deal with Pat for likely his whole career. If only we traded Mahomes to some dog ***** franchise. 

You said Mahomes "absolutely" "guaranteed" is the reason the Bills haven't been to a SB.  So how will they ever get to one, barring Mahomes being traded away or retiring?  Given this isn't happening, how is it possible that the Bills will now get past Mahomes, if it is impossible. If it is possible, then go back and edit all your threads.

They traded the pick, not Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Mahommes is not Mahommes without Andy Reid. I think that’s pretty safe to say. Mahommes is definitely not Mahommes with Sean McDermot. 

We gave Andy Reid Mahomes!!!!!!!!!

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said Mahomes "absolutely" "guaranteed" is the reason the Bills haven't been to a SB.  So how will they ever get to one, barring Mahomes being traded away or retiring?  Given this isn't happening, how is it possible that the Bills will now get past Mahomes, if it is impossible. If it is possible, then go back and edit all your threads.

They traded the pick, not Mahomes.

He is. He, with a little help from Joe Burrow, is why we haven’t won a Super Bowl yet. That’s a fact.

Some posters will use any freaking occasion to beat their "Fire McDermott" drum. This thread is chock FULL of them. But there are other threads as well today.

The Mahomes trope is years old, worn out, and unimaginative. It is wrong and BORING!!!

This board.. sheesh.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Budkin said:

Reid coached an amazing game in the second half. Hats off to him.

He's coached football for longer than I've been alive and I'm middle age.  He's coached in the NFL for over 30 years and called plays for 25.

There is a lot to be said about experience, he's been through almost every situation you can in football. 

Unfortunately in today's culture and NFL everyone wants a fast payoff. 

It took the guy 20 years as a head coach to win a Superbowl.   At least part of that first victory was due to what he learned losing 4 conference championships and 1 Super Bowl before he got one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We gave Andy Reid Mahomes!!!!!!!!!

He is. He, with a little help from Joe Burrow, is why we haven’t won a Super Bowl yet. That’s a fact.

you didn't answer the question.  if, as long as Mahomes is in KC, which is the reason the Bills can't "win a SB" in the past and obviously going forward...why are you still here?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you didn't answer the question.  if, as long as Mahomes is in KC, which is the reason the Bills can't "win a SB" in the past and obviously going forward...why are you still here?

I never said that. It’s not as fun when you try to pivot and create strawmen because you lost. 

“obviously going forward.” Oh wait? No. Not obviously. 

Edited by FireChans

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I never said that. It’s not as fun when you try to pivot and create strawmen because you lost. 

“obviously going forward.” Oh wait? No. Not obviously. 

"Trading Mahomes to the Chiefs is the biggest reason we don’t have a title. It has actually cost us a title."

come on--don't run away from your take!

how can the Bills ever win a SB when Mahomes in KC prevents them from winning a SB?  Is he leaving soon?

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Trading Mahomes to the Chiefs is the biggest reason we don’t have a title. It has actually cost us a title."

come on--don't run away from your take!

how can the Bills ever win a SB when Mahomes in KC prevents them from winning a SB?  Is he leaving soon?

He is. I’m not running away from anything. You just tried to add in “obviously” and something I never said to win. Sad.

11 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

This whole Chiefs dynasty falls on one man and one man only, in hindsight. 

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

I don't particularly agree with you, but I am always ready for a new reason to hate and fire McDimwit!

BTW: anyone reading this who thinks our coach is going to take down Reid and Mahomes any time soon is insane.

What is supposed to be different, "next time?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He is. I’m not running away from anything. You just tried to add in “obviously” and something I never said to win. Sad.

The same will hold true going forward obviously, because Mahomes isn’t going anywhere. 

im following the logic of your argument.  He will always be the biggest reason (of many reasons?) the Bills “don’t have a title”.  

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Sean McDermott

He is the one who traded the pick to KC that they used to take Mahomes because he "hadn't had time to study the QB class" even though his owner wanted Mahomes. 

I literally felt like he should have been fired last night for making us all endure this. If Mahomes comes to Buffalo in 2017, he never turns into the QB he did. 

I'm not going to roast those who don't like McDermott, sometimes he makes me question things also but I want to know who you think is the best candidate to take over for McDermott? A realistic option.

For me it would have been Jim Harbaugh, that is the only guy I would have wanted here over our current HC. I don't like Harbaugh's personality at all, I think he comes off very smug and a better than you are mentality but he's a winner no matter where he goes and the players always want to play for him. Just putting any Offensive coach here doesn't make sense imo but I'd like to know who you think would be better.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s all or nothing with you guys isn’t it? My goodness.

And playoffs are just good enough for you guys. Aren't you getting tired of watching the same movie over and over and over....................

• Like (+1) 1

Well since this topic is being brought up the 10th billion time, this is perfect. I am in the Bay Area and am listening to sports talk radio here ad nauseam. Some of the fans are demanding Shanahan and Lynch be fired for not winning the 49ers' sixth Lombardi, especially after having the better team and being favored. So let's get those two!

[/sarcasm]

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't particularly agree with you, but I am always ready for a new reason to hate and fire McDimwit!

BTW: anyone reading this who thinks our coach is going to take down Reid and Mahomes any time soon is insane.

What is supposed to be different, "next time?"

Maybe next time we aren’t playing the shambling corpse of AJ Klein at linebacker?

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

I will never understand the McDermott supporters who thinks he walks on water. 

I never understood the Reid supporters who thought he walked on water before 2019.

Edited by Seventeen

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

You very conveniently cherry pick facts to fit your argument by mentioning some Bills mediocre draft picks while ignoring the better ones.  The Bills drafted Tre White with KC's 2017 pick.  White was an All-Pro CB before his injuries.  

Whoopty doo about Tre White. He's the same guy who got sliced and diced in his big chance in the 2021 AFC Championship game. And honestly, all that matters is what you get done. And he hasn't done DICK for the Buffalo Bills since the 2021 season. So once again, I'm sure he's a wonderful guy, and I'm sure he's working oh-so-hard to come back "better than ever" from his latest injury. But the facts are we traded the spot for the greatest football player of our generation to get a very good cornerback whose career basically lasted from 2017 through 2021. La-dee-*****in'-dah.

1 hour ago, Seventeen said:

I never understood the Reid supporters who thought he walked on water before 2019.

It's weird though. Once Reid got an all-world QB he started to win titles.

Once McDipshit got an all-world QB he started to win division titles and having beautiful teary exchanges with Sal Cappaccio when he wins one of them in Miami. You woulda thought the guy won the Super Bowl the way he was babbling to homer Sal. What a joke.

We need to demand more from these jokers. 

Edited by Jim
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Jim said:

Whoopty doo about Tre White. He's the same guy who got sliced and diced in his big chance in the 2021 AFC Championship game. And honestly, all that matters is what you get done. And he hasn't done DICK for the Buffalo Bills since the 2021 season. So once again, I'm sure he's a wonderful guy, and I'm sure he's working oh-so-hard to come back "better than ever" from his latest injury. But the facts are we traded the spot for the greatest football player of our generation to get a very good cornerback whose career basically lasted from 2017 through 2021. La-dee-*****in'-dah.

It's weird though. Once Reid got an all-world QB he started to win titles.

Once McDipshit got an all-world QB he started to win division titles and having beautiful teary exchanges with Sal Cappaccio when he wins one of them in Miami. You woulda thought the guy won the Super Bowl the way he was babbling to homer Sal. What a joke.

We need to demand more from these jokers. 

Could be worse than McD not vetting QBs in time for the 2017 draft with Whaley and as a result not taking Mahomes. Josh could have easily been taken by Elway and we would have been stuck with the other Josh. 

15 hours ago, Einstein said:

I don’t know how anyone can watch that game last night and come away thinking Mahomes is why they won.

Both TD’s were wide open throws. I actually thought Mahomes looked fairly pedestrian.

Its too bad the 49er defensive player couldn’t hold on to the INT Mahomes threw to him that may have sealed the game in regulation.

Not sure how you missed that last gotta have it drive where Mahomes went 8-8 with a couple of clutch runs that kept that drive alive. Or did you tuned in late and thought they started that winning drive in the redzone like college OT?

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I'm not going to roast those who don't like McDermott, sometimes he makes me question things also but I want to know who you think is the best candidate to take over for McDermott? A realistic option.

A fantastic option would be a head coach that actually understands offense, given that the team has a historically iconic player and QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Sean McDermott

I realize that it’s the off-season, and we’re gonna have to listen to puke like this for a while

The Chiefs dynasty falls on the bills. I wonder if Baltimore feels like the Chiefs dynasty is falling onto them or the Niners fans feel like the Chiefs Dynasty is falling onto them.

Give me a break

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

A fantastic option would be a head coach that actually understands offense, given that the team has a historically iconic player and QB.  

Why do people think he’s holding back the offense? Josh is doing great things. What do people think Josh is going to do with another head coach? 50-60 TDs every year?

You guys make no sense. The offense is good and the defense is good under McDermott. 

McDermott has also been one of the most consistently aggressive head coaches in the league. One of the pass heaviest head coaches in the league, although not under Joe Brady.

I know I know, vs 2 of the top 4 QBs in the league he got outclassed. But no one talks about him shutting down Lamar Jackson in the playoffs also. 

Let’s also remember Josh Allen was not a number 1 overall can’t miss prospect. To think McDermott had zero impact on his development is crazy.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.